Search Unity

[RELEASED] Universal Fighting Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Dec 17, 2013.

1. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, MMind.

I took your advice, and you were right, I should've checked to make sure the animation was under Mecanim, since my characters are biped/humanoid. But, the only problem is that I still have the same errors upon starting the thing.

I have the characters in the scene (no prefabs, but I have made my own from my characters).

I changed the animations to Mecanim and included avatars for each of them.

I made sure the characters I wanted to use are placed in the character slots for "Start Game Immediately."

What exactly am I doing wrong and how can I figure this out?

2. Mistermind

Mistermind

1 - You can adjust the character size using the transform tool.

2 - This could be related to several things, its hard to tell from here. This can be easily fixed however by using the character editor itself, the way you export your files or Unity transform tool. This has more to do with Unity knowledge in general.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. Mistermind

Mistermind

In terms of coding, there are way too many variables operating at the time to filter if a move can in fact be executed. There isn't a direct way to do this yet, however if you want to, you can set the move directly on the code (giving you have the Source version) by changing a variable called "currentMove" on ControlsScript.cs. Such change and debugging is rather complex to be done on a visual scripting tool. I don't recommend you try something like that without some good C# knowledge.
    When I finish working on the AI hopefully I can bring some better methods to trigger similar behaviors so one can emulate their own AI.

4. Mistermind

Mistermind

Those are very significant steps to be taken before running your first tests. Since there is no way I can read all the possible conditions in your project that could be causing a problem, its gonna be very hard, if not impossible, to identify missing steps from where I stand.

Remember: UFE is not an easy tool to pick up if you have no prior knowledge of Unity. Above all, UFE is a collection of tools to help on your development within Unity. Sometimes its better just to take slow, one step at the time so you can properly find the issue.

5. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Thanks, MMind, I'll keep that in mind.

6. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

really cant wait for the AI update lol.... today im starting to learn how UFE works...

Twrmois and Grave174 like this.
  7. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, MMind. I took your advice about the whole aspect of Unity and UFE, and the good news is, I was able to get my game working.

The bad news is, I got a couple of errors pertaining to the hit boxes of Player 1 and Player 2. For example:

NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Transform.get_position () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/artifacts/EditorGenerated/UnityEngineTransform.cs:28)
    HitBoxesScript.testCollision (.HitBox[] opHitBoxes)
    ControlsScript.FixedUpdate ()

and

NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Transform.get_position () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/artifacts/EditorGenerated/UnityEngineTransform.cs:28)

Although the errors do look the same, the first one is for Player 1, and the second is for Player 2.
    I want to add the hit boxes script from the plugins of UFE, but one time when I did, the changes didn't apply to the TrainingRoom scene version of my game at all. And, needless to say, the game is sometimes interrupted when the error occurs. Is there anything I should do?

8. Mistermind

Mistermind

Humm.. Did you remove the character from the scene after you apply the hitbox and convert them to a prefab? You can't have anything on the hierarchy other than the Main Camera and the Directional Light when you hit play.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  9. derkoi

derkoi

Hi,

I'm not sure this has already been asked before but can I use UMA with UFE so my players can create their own fighters?

10. Mistermind

Mistermind

11. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

I looked at what you said, MMind, and I did fix it by deleting everything from the scene except for the Main Camera and the Directional Light. I even tried to apply the scripts onto the Directional Light, the IntroScript, and CharacterSelectScript to name a few. I'm trying to find a way to incorporate another Directional Light and one Player Light under the first Directional Light, which only works within the TrainingRoom.unity file within my game. How do I configure the same mechanics of my game file to have the exact same mechanics of the TrainingRoom.unity file?

12. derkoi

derkoi

13. liero116

liero116

The absolute best thing to do is to simply copy the training room scene file and just modify it to work the way you want it to. This is what I did. Since, for stages, you're pretty much just doing visual changes, this is the best way to do it.

mqiydaar likes this.
  14. Steviebops

Steviebops

Hey, I posted on the official forums, but I thought it would be good to try here too.

I'm trying to access an object (an empty) I placed on a player prefab. I'm having trouble locating it in the scene, as neither the Game nor Player objects list it as a child. It's attached to the head bone on my players. Any ideas on how to get it's transform?
    Both players have an empty called "camPointer" on them, so the name isn't unique in the scene.

15. Alexarah

Alexarah

I see what you mean about that one after looking at the Controls Script. Although I would love to have basic overalls or lists of the code that are in UFE. That will help out a bunch because I have asked this on the UFE forums under the source code section several weeks ago and have yet to have an input or answer. So yeah you being the creator and responding faster than everyone else on the UFE forums I could use your help. I'm no pro at C# in UFE yet however I was catching onto C# before I worked with UFE. I'm quite lost since I don't have enough documents that list the codes and commands and yet somehow I see others already knowing it. Is there something I'm overlooking or you think possibly the Official Unity3d API Documents would help?

16. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Thanks, liero. I appreciate it.

17. Mistermind

Mistermind

UFE is designed with events and methods that can help you manipulate certain aspects of the engine. The variables and methods under the hood were not technically designed to be changed, therefore they are not documented.

Most people use reverse engineering as well as follow the naming conventions to locate themselves, but it does require some good understanding of C# and Unity. It also helps to analyze the demo files and even use them as templates, as liereo116 explained above.

I don't think AI its something that can be done with Visual Scripting at this stage on UFE though. If you don't wanna get too deep on C# I recommend waiting for the next update.

As UFE evolves eventually more easy to use methods and events will emerge, but it does take time.

These might be useful:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/GameObject.Find.html
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/gameobject-find-vs-transform-find-vs-transform-findchild.207877/

18. kilik128

kilik128

waiting ia :eek:

19. Sixus1Media

Sixus1Media

Hello! Working on a project with UFE, generally loving it, but after having setup a character with a pile of custom moves and testing, decided I wanted to try replacing the normal jump with a special move. That didn't work out to my liking, so I changed it all back, but then when testing my scene and hitting "jump" for the character, I get this error. If someone could help figure out what that is from, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

NullReferenceException
    MoveSetScript.SetAnimationSpeed (System.String animationName, Single speed) (at Assets/UFE/Scripts/MoveSetScript.cs:424)
    MoveSetScript.playBasicMove (.BasicMoveInfo basicMove, System.String clipName, Single blendingTime, Boolean replay) (at Assets/UFE/Scripts/MoveSetScript.cs:399)
    MoveSetScript.playBasicMove (.BasicMoveInfo basicMove, System.String clipName, Boolean replay) (at Assets/UFE/Scripts/MoveSetScript.cs:385)
    MoveSetScript.playBasicMove (.BasicMoveInfo basicMove, System.String clipName) (at Assets/UFE/Scripts/MoveSetScript.cs:375)
    MoveSetScript.playBasicMove (.BasicMoveInfo basicMove) (at Assets/UFE/Scripts/MoveSetScript.cs:371)
    PhysicsScript.applyForces (.MoveInfo move) (at Assets/UFE/Scripts/PhysicsScript.cs:211)
    ControlsScript.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/UFE/Scripts/ControlsScript.cs:883)

20. Alexarah

Alexarah

Thanks MisterMind I needed to know that for sure. However guess what, Alex Chouls from the Playmaker forums emailed me and responded to my request for Playmaker support for UFE! He stated that Jean Fabre who specializes in making custom actions in order to support third party packages should be happy to help. Jean and several others he said will be excited for Playmaker support for UFE! Alex Chouls has already taken a look at UFE and said it looked very cool. Anyway MisterMind you should also be excited about this. For this can relieve you of a feature that you may not have to implement yourself. After all Playmaker is supported through custom actions by many many other packages on the Asset Store including a Game Toolkit called the GAC System which is also geared towards fighting games and action games! So yep I opened an account at the Playmaker forums to make my request for UFE support through custom actions which are made with through source code of Playmaker! We'll just see how this goes and hopefully the people at the Playmaker forums including Jean who I mentioned earlier can make Playmaker support UFE. I'll keep you and everyone else here posted so until then MisterMind. Cheers!

21. Mistermind

Mistermind

Seems like you are missing an animation file. From the looks of it it in the code it could be the Bounce animation, but UFE should have given you a warning about this. Humm, maybe its something I fixed on my end but have yet to release it.
    Either way, you can check which animations are required here:
    http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/character:movesets
    Or if you prefer you can also just reload the character file from the package.

That is great to hear! I really wish I could help out the same way we did with Control Freak and cInput, but I had to shift focus to other major features like AI and Grappling.
    I more then welcome third party support for UFE, and I'll gladly promote any asset that wants to offer compatibilities.

22. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

NullReferenceException

I tried to configure the position of each fighter while playtesting my version of the game. This is after I've copied the TrainingRoom file into the project folder. Is there any solution to this?

23. SoBrian

SoBrian

I really want to say that this is a fantastic tool! The flexibility and power of UFE is amazing. I'm having some issues creating scenes that mimic outdoor settings. At first I copied the training room prefab and just swapped out and added assets to build out a new combat zone, but this didn't work very well (I believe there were some collision issues) I tried to ensure that the entire stage was a prefab. Is there a proven pipeline for creating stages? I noticed that the training room prefab supplied with the program was a box with inverted normals...is this the way to go? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

24. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hey MisterMind I have a good update. I received a response on the Playmaker forums by the Moderator Jean Fabre that Alex Chouls spoke of earlier and Jean added UFE to the Playmaker wishlist. Jean was awesome enough to post a link to your website and there's already a vote by someone else wanting UFE support for Playmaker! I have just voted too of course and have also subscribed to the Playmaker support for UFE wishlist to be updated faster! I say it's starting off nicely and what helps is that Jean was able to link your website for voters to see!

25. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

i voted for it too.

26. Mistermind

Mistermind

Make sure you also have the ground set like shown inside the stage prefab example. Your stage must have a plane mesh under the layer “Ground”. Check the TrainingRoom prefab example.

For those interested in voting, here is the link:
    https://trello.com/c/pC12ZuJn/90-ufe

27. Twrmois

Twrmois

So i'm going to buy the Pro version next Thursday, but Im really curious on how much work it is to create a stage. I want to be able to make nice stages with epic scenery, do you think you may have time to make a stage tutorial video on YouTube? (either a brand new stage or go over one you have already made)

uni7y likes this.
  28. uni7y

uni7y

Yes a tut for a new stage would be very nice!

29. Mistermind

Mistermind

In terms of UFE, there isn't much to learn. UFE just needs a mesh that represents the ground. I can add a few screenshot pointing out what "mesh" is and where the layer option is located inside the demo file, but there isn't enough content to fill a video.
    In terms of creating an actual scenery with lights and models, its really about Unity and your own knowledge of 3D modeling.

30. SoBrian

SoBrian

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

mqiydaar likes this.
  31. SoBrian

SoBrian

MMind,

I'm still having jitter problems (characters jitter when in play mode and fall through the floor) when a simple box is placed in a duplicate of the the training room prefab. Here's my process 1- duplicate the training room prefab 2- add a simple prefab cube with no collider attached to it so it is now is part of the new training room prefab 3- rename the prefab 4- add the renamed training room prefab as a stage in Global 5 start the game. Characters still jitter up and down.

The plane is set to the ground layer and the box is set at default layer. On the UFE3D someone had the same issue and the problem was solved by making sure the cube didn't have a collider. I've done this and there's still a problem. Not sure what the issue is but it seems like it should be easy. Using Mac with Unity 4.5.1. I know this should be simple, but I can't seem to get this working properly.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

32. Twrmois

Twrmois

MMind.
    I plan on purchasing Control Freak mainly for the Mobile stuff, but I see that CF can be used to port to other platforms as well, since it changes overall controls.
    I am a Xbox One indie developer, if I have a valid XboxOne Devkit, and a Xbox One Module for Unity (and of course the console itself), can I test a UFE game on the console? (Not to publish it and put it on marketplace, only for playing on that console itself for personal use)

33. Mistermind

Mistermind

This is more related to Unity itself, but it should work just fine. I never tried it, but I never ran into problems when exporting to multiple platforms myself.

Twrmois likes this.
  34. Mistermind

Mistermind

Sorry about the delay, I've been extremelly busy lately working on the AI. I'm not sure I understand the issue, but it seems like something you can probably solve by trial and error. Make sure you read the errors on the console (if any) and try to match everything on the training room, including the position (x, y and z) of the "ground" prefab that is inside training room.

35. korokke

korokke

Hello,Mr.MM. I show you respect. You are someone who earnest and sincere.
    But AI is not hardly necessary for me..(Simply put, I need Rectangle Collision only)
    I think, there is a few people who want to get update albeit in the progress.
    As far as I have seen Upcoming features (done section), it looks perfect .
    I propose separated once, and have the updates.
    (Of course, It's not mean that please stop the work you're doing now)

36. Mistermind

Mistermind

You are absolutely right. That has actually been my plan as I work on the final touches of the Rule-Based AI.
    There has been several developments to that list that I'm currently keeping a "secret" for the sake of reducing support for the moment so I can concentrate on development.
    As soon as I finish that step I'll start working on the documentation and get some news going.

PS: This AI will blow you guys away ;)

37. Rinoa_Heartilly

Rinoa_Heartilly

may I ask you a question does it have enemy AI? Can I have more than one enemy to fight with?

38. Mistermind

Mistermind

AI is scheduled to be released next month. For more details check out this page:
    http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/upcomingfeatures

39. jackycharm3048

jackycharm3048

Hi,When will we have the next version,I'm anticipating

40. Rinoa_Heartilly

Rinoa_Heartilly

41. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

I'm just wondering if anyone found the solution to the problem I've been having in terms of me starting to play(test) my game. Right now, I'm taking the time to read a book on Unity 4.5, and I would appreciate the help.

42. simonii

simonii

Yes likewise I am looking forward to the AI version.

43. Twrmois

Twrmois

MMind,

I've finally purchased the Pro Version along with Control Freak, (for later mobile development) and im having difficulty using the Parry. I read on the help guides that the smaller the value, the harder it is to parry, but it seems like tapping forward to parry (or tapping back when its set to that) doesnt seem to work at all. I have tried many settings for the Parry Timing, 0.3, 0.7, 1.4, 7.4, even 60 lol, but still no luck. I want to have parry in my game similar to Street Fighter III 3rd Strike

44. bamncan

bamncan

Has anyone had any issues with 4.6 Beta and UFE?

45. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

Do these Features gonna release in the next update...?

Others (Major Updates):

• 3D arena gameplay
    • Tag Team (up to 4 party members) and assist moves
    • UFE 2D

46. Twrmois

Twrmois

If im right, the items in the collums "Coming Soon (Done) and (On the Works)" Release in the next update, but the Major updates i think do not release until maybe a update afterwards. I think 3D Arena and Tag Team have been there for quite a while. I actually am waiting for Tag Team, hope its like 2v2 with 4 human players like Tekken Tag 2 (i assume thats what 4 party members mean)

47. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thing is everyone is waiting for the next update, I not started any new projects as anticipating this AI release. So I really hope the author releases update soon and leaves the not so important now stuff for later.

48. Mistermind

Mistermind

Sorry about the delay. I'll be sure to take a look at it before this next update.

I have someone studying on the new GUI system as we speak. I haven't seen 4.6 myself yet, but I'm pretty sure everything from previous versions is still compatible with the new Unity update.

Release is scheduled for less than a month from now.

I'm sorry I didn't bring any significant news up til now (other than dates) as I'm avoiding support for the sake of spending more time on development.

I recommend not be so dependable on my timeline and updates, as there is just so much I can do for this amount of customers. I also recommend using http://www.ufe3d.com/forum for questions that can lead to discussions or multiple answers.

Thank you for your help Twmois.
    I also like to add that I'll soon start working on packaging, and some of those "On The Works" will be pushed to another update.

Furthermore, I'd like to add that more answers can be found by reading other people's questions in this topic as well as the official UFE forum.

49. Jenovah

Jenovah

Hi,

This package looks great, but I have a question that may have been asked. Can this work in a non 2D lane fighting game like say a 3D brawler?

Here's an example of what I mean:

Thanks!

EDIT: sorry I just saw some of the responses above regarding 3D arena. I'll purchase as soon as that features ready!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  50. Licarell

Licarell