Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Cutscene Creator / Camera Path - uSequencer [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WellFiredDevelopment, Jun 19, 2012.

1. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello EXC_Unity!

You can also do this using the dropdown box in the uSequencer UI. :)

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to re-order the items, though this really wouldn't be a big deal to implement and we could surely do it for you in the next version :)

Regards,
    Terry

2. Pool_Creative

Pool_Creative

Thanks! Yeah, i don't think it's a huge deal, but it's nice for us organizational freaks who want to go back and tidy things up :)

3. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Yeah, I was thinking folders or some form of grouping would be very useful also, I can imagine people grouping their timelines as such

+Audio
    +Actors
    +UI
    +Particles

Thanks for the feedback! :D

Regards,
    Terry

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is the asset compatible with Ork Framework ? I want to integrate with the event system in Ork.

Thanks

5. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello nasos,

It is not out of the box, we could easily create you some events for the Ork framework though. Also, if you're an engineer or have some programming knowledge, our custom event system is documented here : http://www.wellfired.com/technicaldocumentation/usequencer/html/index.html#custom_events

It's relatively easy to write custom events and I would imagine that you could probably do it with a single line of code.

Regards,
    Terry

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, nice

I am a programmer so no problem there :)

7. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

Certainly will, thanks :)

9. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello guys,

We've just created a a playlist containing 8 useful videos, showing you how to create a re-usable prefab sequence within uSequencer.

Playlist Link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaPp1aCvoHM&list=PLLGtzoIMvJxxS3xiDjeEZ9SkJ1WC72crM

Note that these tutorials were created with uSequencer V 1.3.7 which isn't currently available on the Asset Store, it should be available very soon.

Individual Videos

Part 1

This Part will give you an overview of what this tutorial sequence will help you achieve and our basic setup.

Part 2

This part gives you an overview of how to use the uSequencer UI to create a simple sequence, and how we might set one up to achieve our goal of creating a reusable prefabed sequence.

Part 3

This part will give you an overview of Property Timelines and how to use them to create simple, smooth animations.

Part 4

This part will run you through the steps needed to create a sequence that will automatically trigger.

Part 5

This video will show you how to convert the sequence you perfected in earlier steps, into a prefab that can easily be reused and shared.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  10. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Part 6
    This part will show you how you can place your prefabs in a scene and re-use prefaced cutscenes.

Part 7

This part will show you how to update an existing prefab, ensuring that those changes are migrated to all instances of the prefab.

Part 8

This part will show you the end result of every previous step.

11. CarterG81

CarterG81

Forgive me if I've already asked this question (it's been awhile).

I create all of my cutscenes using SWS (paths and commands). This works wonderful for what I'm doing.

The only downside to SWS, is that I have no timeline scrubber. To view any change in a cutscene, I have to watch that entire cutscene from start to finish by hitting "Play" and starting the scene.

Would it be easy to integrate SWS into uSequencer, so I can scrub the timeline and see it just the same as when I hit "Play"? The paths start automatically, and upon reaching certain paths, commands are sent via SWS's message system. This triggers functions in the character's "CharacterActions" scripts, such as change move speed along the path, change animation, play sound, spawn gameobject, etc.

12. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

You didn't ask before, but this should be really easy to do, uSequencer is very easily extendable, I'd probably recommend writing some custom events to do this.

You can find some easy to follow steps on how to do this on our technical page : http://www.wellfired.com/technicaldocumentation/usequencer/html/index.html#custom_events

If you can wait, we could potentially write some nice events for that software for you, since it's probably useful for us, though we've currently got quite a backlog to get through. :)

Regards,
    Terry

13. CarterG81

CarterG81

I can definitely wait. This is mainly a need for when I start pumping out lots of content, and that won't happen until I get the game where I want it, which is about a month or so away :)

14. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone!

We just wanted to let you all know that uSequencer V 1.3.7 has been submitted to the Asset Store and the free version is available right now, for free, right here : http://www.wellfired.com/usequencer.html.

Version 1.3.7 Adds a bunch of cool new features, the Oft Requested Copy / Paste support is available just about everywhere with a simple context click.

We also squashed a bunch of bugs and migrated Animation Timelines out of Alpha into Beta and have provided them publicly for the first time.

As always you can check out the most up to date Version information on our website : http://www.wellfired.com/technicaldocumentation/usequencer/html/changelog.html#latest

New Features in 1.3.7
    • Added Copy / Paste Suport for every single object in uSequencer.
    • Update our Welcome page to point to correct websites and ensure the PDF documentation opens correctly.
    • Updated the functionality of Observer Timelines, so we only turn off the Camera, improving performance.
    • Custom Timelines now have the ability to extend the context menu through the AddContextItems method.
    • Added an Enable / Disable Component Event.
    • Added a piece of UI that should function in the same way as the context click on timelines.
    • Added rootMotion to our Animation Timeline Beta
    • We no longer hide duration on PlayAnimationEvents
    • Added quick Sequence selection, from within the uSequencer UI.
    • Added Animation Timelines publically as the Beta exits Alpha stage.
    • Added the option for various easing modes to Object Path Timelines.

Bug Fixes in 1.3.7
    • Several fixes for Undo / Redo.
    • Several fixes for random null reference issues.
    • Bug fixes for fighting on looping sequences when an event / keyframe was at 0.0f
    • Bug fixes for the Look At Object Event editor not displaying correctly.
    • Bug fixes for ensuring the Object Path Timeline will always be reset under each different circumstance.
    • Bug fixes for ensuring we can create Prefabs out of Animation Timelines (beta).
    • Bug fixes for Windows App Store submission.
    • Bug fixed for ensuring events are actually undone in the correct order.

Regards,
    Terry

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi, i have two questions

1. Is it possible to change the spline paths in real time ? Like procedurally effect the pre-defined motion path in play mode.

2. Is it possible to do branching in game cinematics ? Like follow a different path in a cinematic or swith between two cinematics based on a variable in play mode

Also will this work ok with Skele tool ?

Thanks

16. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

Hi Terry

Re 1.3.7: Is this included as well? -->

17. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello nasos_333,

I will try to answer your questions.

Yes, this is possible, you can edit the existing keyframes, or add new ones at specified times. All keyframes are accessible from the Object Path Timeline. Apologies that we've only just documented the API, but you can find it in our technical documentation. The following might be useful

Overview: http://www.wellfired.com/technicald..._well_fired_1_1_u_s_timeline_object_path.html

Set Keyframes:
    http://www.wellfired.com/technicald...t_path.html#ad9983b8f950ae5811544ca8492a182ee

Add Keyframe:
    http://www.wellfired.com/technicald...t_path.html#a48b003f3bbf4b994e2c905552952976e

Remove Keyframe:
    http://www.wellfired.com/technicald...t_path.html#a9523eee76d79c0a56f53b8064151a0b6

There is a lot more documented in the overview, you should check it out.

It is possible. There are multiple ways to achieve this. You might have to write your own small scripts though. I will outline two possible approaches.

1) You can trigger different sequences depending on different outcomes. I would probably recommend this.

2) When you disable a timeline GameObject, this timeline will stop being processed by uSequencer, so you could turn off timelines you didn't want to be processed anymore.

I hope that was helpful.

Regards,
    Terry

18. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Yes, apologies about forgetting this, I will just update the changelist now.

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks a lot for the clarifications :)

20. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

If you'd like a version before it's released to the asset store, email us your receipt at support@wellfired.com

Regards,
    Terry

21. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

This is now available for everyone to upgrade / download / purchase in the asset store!

Regards,
    Terry

22. CarterG81

CarterG81

I'd like to mention, if it is not too late, that I am not using SWS. Although I can see other's still wanting some SWS support (SWS is awesome for making cutscenes), I myself won't need it at all and don't want you wasting valuable dev time.

I've discovered my game really needs an AI to handle the cutscene system, so instead of creating the content, I'll just be creating an AI and watching it play out.

I don't think I can use the timeline scrubber to rewind/fast-forward when everything is done through AI commands. That, and when I tried to use this earlier in 4.6(b20), it crashed before I even got to the first few steps. So I most likely won't be using this either, since the scrubber is useless if everything is done via AI. I assume anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

23. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Carter,

You're both right and wrong. It is possible to run executable code (including any AI you write) at Edit time, that's exactly how uSequencer and all of it's systems run. The difficultly comes with any system you construct (or purchase and use) needs to be written with this in mind.

I've used uSequencer in a number of products and completely interacted with runtime code, at Edit time. Usually I'd suggest you simply look at the [ExecuteInEditMode] attribute, but when writing a complex system such as AI, the interactions won't be that straight forward and we'll probably need a more in depth discussion about your requirements and the system you will use / create.

I'll happily talk to you about all this and also creating a system that will run in Edit mode, but it's a discussion that will be largely irrelevant to the users of this forum, so, feel free to email me at terrymagnusdrever@wellfired.com if you'd like to talk about it :)

You can make everything that you personally create / use scrubbable, heck, we've even done it with the current version of Mecanim, which we were told was not possible. :)

Regards,
    Terry

24. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

We've just released a super quick update 1.3.7.1 that enables building to Windows Phone and Windows Store 8.1, our recent addition to uSequencer; the WellFired shared Library had some incompatible source, which has since been replaced.

If anyone wants this update sooner than it is approved on the Asset Store, feel free to email us at support@wellfired.com with your receipt.

Regards,
    Terry

25. schmosef

schmosef

I just tried importing the latest version to an empty Unity 5 beta project. Getting lots of compile errors.

Any idea on a timeline to support Unity 5?

26. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

We have an internal version working with Unity 5, it's currently in Beta (as is Unity 5), you can surely use that version if you'd like, though I'd definitely recommend sticking with released versions when developing your products.

Regards,
    Terry

27. schmosef

schmosef

I'm happy to stick with the release version of your asset. I was just asking if you have a timeline for official support for Unity 5.

And if you plan to wait until Unity 5 goes RTM, that's cool. I just wanted to know your plans.

28. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

If all goes to plan, we'll release alongside (or very shortly after) Unity 5.

If you are using Unity 5.0 and want to test that your project works and your sequences all work fine, I'd be happy to send you over a copy of uSequencer, just send us a quick email with your invoice number / Unity receipt and we'll fire you over our next stable Unity 5.0 build.

:)

Regards,
    Terry

29. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Can u give me sample scene for Animation Timeline Beta?

30. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

We will have a tutorial scene created in time for our official Animation Timeline Beta, whilst you wait, you can take a look at the following youtube video which highlights using some of the features. (Apologies about the lack of depth).

We will be creating some more tutorial videos specifically for Animation Timelines soon.

Regards,
    Terry

31. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Made using uSequencer and uRecord

An amazing Asset Previews created with the help of uSequencer and uRecord, check it out here:

32. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone!

We've updated our SendMessage events, and I've added them to this post, you will also get them in a subsequent uSequencer release, but for now, just use this package. You'll now be able to send; int, float, string, bool and no argument.

Regards,
    Terry

Attached Files:

33. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

We've just added a couple more Made with uSequencer Posts to our front page, the website will be getting a refresh soon!

We're about to start our second video tutorial session and thought it might be a good idea to hear from you guys about what you'd like, so I've created an open poll! :)

1) Everything Camera related : (Paths, Cuts, Handy Cam, Depth Of Field).
    2) Property Fields : How to work with animating everything.
    3) Cutscene -> Game Interaction -> Cutscene Interaction
    4) A simple QTE system
    5) (Mecanim) Animation Timelines

Here's a link : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...creator-camera-path-tutorial-requests.278521/

Terry

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  34. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys,

We've added Start / Stop recording events to uSequencer, so you can control your recording without having to deal with manually pressing the record button! It's required a slight change to the uSequencer runtime, so if you need a version, feel free to email us with your receipt and we'll send you a build!

Also, keep your eyes on our Playlist channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/artofsettling/playlists), we'll be creating another tutorial playlist this week!

Regards,
    Terry

35. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Something I'd like to be able to do which I don't think this can do, nor any other asset for Unity, is to use the timeline system to animate individual 2d mesh shapes, like how some Flash-based cartoons might look.. whether it would integrate with something like ragespline or whatever, where you can not just move individual objects around but tween between states of those objects

36. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello ImaginaryHuman,

I could definitely write some RageSpline support, or something similar, is there any particular package you have in mind that does what you want, that I could integrate into uSequencer? (Other than RageSpline).

Regards,
    Terry

37. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I'm thinking mainly vectorgraphics, and ragespline is one of the better tools, albeit not the most efficient. I'd like to be able to basically make like a cartoon where certain objects are moving around but also changing shape, I guess perhaps something with bone animation in some cases... I guess there are other assets that do that as well like Uni2D and some others.

38. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

39. djfrail

djfrail

Question - whenever I hit the play button (the Unity editor play button) and then hit stop, all of the property and event trees I had open in the Usqequencer window collapse. So after every play and stop, I have to take the time to re-open those properties and events I was just editing. Any way around this, or am I missing something?

40. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello djfrail,

This is indeed not supposed to happen and will be resolved in a coming update. Sorry about any inconvenience.

Regards,
    Terry

41. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone,

We've just written some new documentation (it's In-Depth and covers A LOT).

I've added it to this post for now, but it will be included in the next release we do! We will also be making a web version in the coming days!

Regards,
    Terry

Attached Files:

42. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Hello, how hard is it hard to create a seamless cinematic between 3 sequences?

Because I am planning to create cinematic depending on the player's previous choice.

If player answers yes, it goes like
    S1-S2a-S3

or,
    If player answers no, it goes
    S1-S2b-S3 instead.

And how hard is it to change a variable during sequence?

If this is easy to do, uSequencer might be just what I needed for my project ;P

And I will be purchasing it in the near future.

43. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Gekigengar,

This is indeed easy to do! :) You might have to write a little bit of logic for it, but it should be trivial!

Feel free to read the documentation posted in my previous post and if you've got any questions, or need any custom events in order to make this work, give me a shout at support@wellfired.com and I will help you out with that! :)

Regards,
    Terry

44. gecko

gecko

This is a great tool, but I'm a little astonished that there's no way to do a cross-fade. That seems like an essential feature in a cinematic editor. Is there really no way to do one?

45. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Gecko,

We're glad you're enjoying uSequencer! :)

It is possible to do one, the question however, is how can we provide a package that supports nice fades. One way Cross-Fades could be implemented would be using Post Process Effects. This however, has the downside that we'd have to provide features for uSequencer that don't work with Unity Free.

At the moment, uSequencer works 100% with Unity Free and Unity Pro, which is a great position for users to be in, there is less confusion and they can guarantee the feature set will work 100%. If you could send me a quick sample of the kind of cross fade you'd like, I'll try and put you together a quick event that achieves the results you desire.

You can contact us on support@wellfired.com

Regards,
    Terry

46. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone!

We just wanted to let you all know that uSequencer V 1.3.7.2 has been submitted to the Asset Store.

Version 1.3.7.2 is a small update adding our new documentation and adding some new events. We've now got nice useful recording events, so you can record specific frame counts.

Regards,
    Terry

47. gecko

gecko

Terry,
    Thanks much for looking into a cross-fade event. I sent you an email yesterday. Let me know if you replied, maybe it got caught in my spam filter. (Or maybe I should just sit tight and be more patient :)

48. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Gecko,

I had replied, but no idea where the email has gone! We're currently putting this together for you, once it's ready I'll post it hear so everyone can use it in the future! :)

Regards,
    Terry

49. Pool_Creative

Pool_Creative

Hi guys! Couple of questions:
    1.) is it possible to copy and paste key frames on a f curve inside usequencer? So If i have a light and I want the light to repeat 2 key frames on the intensity values over and cover, I'd rather just copy and paste than have to repeatedly set the same key frames down the timeline.

2.) Say i do have an animation on the intensity of a light that I like, and I want to apply that same animation to 5 other lights in the same sequence timeline, is there a way to do that? I tried doing it with the hierarchy manipulation video tutorial technique, but when I duplicate the "Timelines for Point Light 1" hierarchy in my scene hierarchy, it doesn't show up in the sequence timeline.

3.) lastly, this is more of a unity forum question, but is there a way to search on the unity forums but limit the search to a particular thread, not the entire forum?

thanks!

50. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello EXC_Unity,

The PDF documentation above covers this pretty well and we've just finished our web version, it should be launching within a couple of days, we're just putting the finishing touches. I'll cover these questions here, since we're not ready to launch just yet :)

Note: The documentation that will go live has images, I hope my words are descriptive enough.

1) It is possible to duplicate keyframes on a timeline, if you hold down ctrl + alt and drag a selection, it will be copy pasted! Note that this works with everything, not just keyframes. It also works across multiple Affected Objects, and Timelines, meaning you can copy paste a whole selection of random keyframes, events, etc :)

2) This is also possible, if you right click on the name of your game object in the left hand pane in uSequencer, you can select Copy To / (your destination timeline), the first option on this list will duplicate the timeline and all of it's contents.

You can then select your new light in Unity's hierarchy and right click on the same left pane with uSequencer and change the Affected Object to your new light (or anything else really). :)

3) I'm not sure about that, sorry! :)

Regards,
    Terry