Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate VFX - Massive Visual Effects and Particle System Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MirzaBeig, Aug 22, 2015.

1. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I was thinking if you had reference to videos and screenshots of existing particles that would be along the lines of what you're looking for in your own game. But these are helpful as well to understand the context the effects will be in. I'll try some stuff now, but if you can also find videos/screens of existing effects they'd help! :)

EDIT:

Current progress:

- digging
    - digging/cutting

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  2. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hey These are very good looking already :)

I do not have any particles yet. Just some prototyped I do not like...
    I bought your package in order I do not Need to make them myself because yours are a hundred times better :)
    And if you sent me those digging cutting stuff it worked perfectly for me!

3. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I have the next version of UVFX as a complete beta package (v1.5.2 - a minor upcoming update), adding those two prefabs along with other little things. Anyone who owns UVFX can email me with a copy of their invoice number to get it right away.

It's been exported using Unity 5.1.0f3 and following the next update it will be the oldest version of Unity supported. I've already had a few issues because of the multiple packages on the asset store coupled with different versions, so next time I submit I'll be removing all the others to make sure end-users don't have this problem. :)

hopeful likes this.
  4. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Sounds great, thanks a lot!

5. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

You should have the link in your email now. :)

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  6. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Got it! The two new particles are perfect, thanks :D

MirzaBeig likes this.
  7. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I can happily say that the sale went very well. It even landed UVFX the spot for 3rd most popular asset on the store! Thank you to everyone who participated during this event. :)

I did some tests with adding animated particles on meshes and ended up with this cool tunnel effect along with the Styx distortion prefab. It'll be part of the next update.

Animated GIF: http://gfycat.com/AdolescentLavishGnat

Ony, montyfi and hopeful like this.
  8. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Congratulations to the 3rd most popular asset :)

The new effect Looks cool!

MirzaBeig likes this.
  9. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Some of the textures are really oversized. I just reduced a snowflake or a lensflare from 4098 to 128, that might be a bit hard, but before both had 24 MB each, now around 12 kb. ;) Some textures should really be reduced a bit...

10. hopeful

hopeful

Well, if the textures are ever officially cut down, maybe there can be some other way of getting the larger sizes. It's nice to have a large size when you need it.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  11. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Since the texture import size can be changed in the editor, I opt for the largest size I can produce. End-users can then easily downsize if they're targeting, for example, mobile platforms.

In the past I've had issues where I wanted that one amazingly epic on-screen effect in a game, only to be annoyed by the pixelation caused by stretching the texture across a large area. But if I know the maximum size of a particle I can easily set the value in the importer without having to open up an external image editor.

For some particles, the details in the texture are important. For others, like water and most smoke/fog textures, it's easy to get away with very small texture sizes since the final effect itself is neither clear nor intricate. I leave it entirely up to users on how they want to make their trade-offs with performance, memory usage, build size, and visual fidelity - something that would be limited if I cut down the texture sizes.

I hope that explains my thought process!

montyfi likes this.
  12. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Okay! I will reduce some for my game. I got your Point :)

Somehow I do not see the new particles in my game.
    I copied your complete assets into mine.

public GameObject cutEffect;
    public GameObject mudEffect;

Into These new Slots of my particle Manager instance I put your two effects.

Then I spawn them with These void (I had a breakpoint in it, it is called correct):

/// <summary>
    /// Spawn particles at the given location
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="position"></param>
    public void SpawnGameObject (GameObject prefab, Vector3 position)
    {
    try
    {
    GameObject newParticleSystem = Instantiate (
    prefab,
    position,
    Quaternion.identity
    ) as GameObject;
    // // Make sure it will be destroyed
    // Destroy (
    // newParticleSystem.gameObject,
    // newParticleSystem.startLifetime
    // );
    //
    //return newParticleSystem;
    } catch
    {
    Debug.LogError ("Gameobject Instantiate Error");
    //return null;
    }
    }

Any idea why I don't see the effect?

Thanks a lot :D

13. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Can you confirm that the game object is instantiated using that code? Do you see a new instance of the effect's game object? Also make sure the prefab for the particle system is activated before you instantiate it, either through code or in the editor. I suspect the latter is the problem.

Code (CSharp):
    1. prefab.SetActive(true) // Called before instantiate to ensure prefab is active.
    3. GameObject newParticleSystem = Instantiate (
    4. prefab,
    5. position,
    6. Quaternion.identity
    7. ) as GameObject;

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  14. moco2k

moco2k

Thanks for these high quality particle effects, this is truely amazing work!

MirzaBeig likes this.
  15. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Thanks a lot Mirza! That did it!

Could you give me a suggestion, why they are extremly large and do not go away anymore?

Do I need to change that in the particlesystems under each effect? I could turn off Looping.

But do you know as the expert a better way to have it displayed for a second, then going away?
    And scaled a bit smaller?

Thanks a lot! :)

16. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I use this code now to spawn a dig effect for example:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     /// <summary>
    2.     /// Spawn particles at the given location
    3.     /// </summary>
    4.     /// <param name="position"></param>
    5.     public void SpawnGameObject (GameObject prefab, Vector3 position)
    6.     {
    7.         prefab.SetActive (true);
    8.         try
    9.         {
    10.             GameObject newParticleSystem = Instantiate (
    11.                 prefab,
    12.                 position,
    13.                 Quaternion.identity
    14.                 ) as GameObject;
    16. //            // Make sure it will be destroyed
    17.             Destroy (
    18.                 prefab,
    19.                 1
    20.                 );
    22.             //return newParticleSystem;
    23.         } catch
    24.         {
    25.             Debug.LogError ("Gameobject Instantiate Error");
    26.             //return null;
    27.         }  
    28.     }
    It works, but is extremly large and is not destroyed anymore. If I did and go away a few step, it Looks like this, see Screen.

Thanks for your help.

17. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Screen with Huge particles :)

PS: I just solved my problem, that the particles are not destroyed anymore. That is working now. Just looking for a way to make them Overall smaller.

Attached Files:

18. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

There's an included particle scaler that'll do just that. :)

You should duplicate the prefab, move it somewhere relevant to your project, and then make changes to the duplicate. That way you keep the original prefab for reference.

You should turn off looping for the particle systems in the new prefab and adjust the lifetime as necessary. After the Unity 5.3 update coming December 8th, I plan to work on a more robust tool that will be included in the package to allow for easy editing of multiple particle systems.

I'm waiting for 5.3 because it includes several updates to Shuriken as noted in the official Unity roadmap.

Attached Files:

hopeful likes this.
  19. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

A useful Tool! Thanks a lot, it is working perfect now.

The stuff under the Spritesheet Folder is for 2d stuff and be be deleted if I only want those effects from the demo, right? The _Common Folder can be deleted, too?

20. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

You shouldn't delete those. The spritesheets are used by several prefabs for animated particles and the _Common folder contains scripts used in the demo as well as scripts (such as animated lighting) attached to the prefabs.

If you look at what's in that folder, you'll see the required scripts. They're used for the demo, but I also use them in my games since they're handy for particles/VFX. I made them general-purpose and not just for the package! This makes for more (hopefully) useful content for buyers.

Attached Files:

21. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Okay, just trying to make my game smaller now, it grew from 500 MB to nearly 1500 MB now :p

But the particles are looking great now :)

22. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

The final build should be smaller since Unity won't throw in every asset in the assets folder. It only keeps the ones referenced in the hierarchy.

Also, earlier in this thread I mentioned I'd add a game to the package showing off how to use UVFX...

Here I've created a 3D space scene with distortion using only particles:

Animated GIF: http://gfycat.com/ImpassionedImpressiveAmazonparrot

23. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Several more screens of the progress on the new "particle universe" demo scene so far:

It's interactive and you can move the ship around smoothly, as well as trigger a black hole appearing (animating in). The entire thing is made up of particles! Except the ship, of course.

24. hopeful

hopeful

Very creative!

25. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

This is turning out to be a not-so-minor update. I've added a complete weapons system (built in a generic way so it can be used beyond the demo). It takes several things into account.

Next: Enemies with very basic AI (simple seek, flee, arrive behaviours and states).

26. hopeful

hopeful

Somebody is going to release your demo as a game. Pretty sure. ;)

27. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Well, everything is there for learning! Although it would be interesting if someone fully went ahead and published the demo as a game... o_O

Animated GIF: http://gfycat.com/ElatedScratchyBluetickcoonhound
    Aaannnd a Windows build of the game so far:

Windows "Particle Universe" Build (.7z archive) - [DEC.05.2015]

Some subtle/interesting things to note:

- There's an electric shield animating over the ship using one of the special shaders included in the package. It's actually a Shuriken particle system!

- The background is alternating between a star and a massive black hole/gravitational lens.

- The main controller is the mouse. Left-click fires the main weapon, right-click propels the ship. The ship faces the direction of the pointer (there's actually another small red dot you may notice in the game indicating the smoothly interpolated position of the mouse in the game's UI).

- The ship has a total of six "context-sensitive" particle thrusters: three orange-red ones in the back for forward movement, and three bluish-purple ones in the front for backwards movement. They're engaged automatically depending on which direction the ship is going (forward, back, left, right, etc).

- Firing the main cannon is what causes the camera to shake. The parameters can be easily changed.

- Everything from the star in the center, the galaxy-like background, to the subtly animated planets in the back... these are all Shuriken particle systems using UVFX.

Side note:

I was honestly expecting Unity to have finished vetting over the free asset package I submitted last week (Inferno VFX). I'm hoping that'll be ready early this week. I already have another free particle systems package in the works (Fantasy + Sci-Fi VFX). The latter is based off some of the very first particles I created for Unity back when I started out. They're of decent quality so I figure I may as well publish them. I think I have a little over 50 prefabs for that one.

It's basically an ancient version of UVFX, before I redid everything from scratch.

These screenshots were pulled from my website, and they're dated to early 2014:

28. hopeful

hopeful

A lot of your stuff would make for interesting desktops / screensavers. Your game art is really impressive! Kind of like a space game as made by Van Gogh. ;)

MirzaBeig likes this.
  29. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Now that you mention it, I really do I like "The Starry Night"! Maybe it's a subconscious thing. :eek:

I have three more animated GIFs showing off enemies, homing missiles, and massive dogfights. I think I've leave the demo at this - it's getting more complicated than it needs to be to just show off some fancy particles! ;)

1. http://gfycat.com/SorrowfulCornyKarakul
    2. http://gfycat.com/TautEmbarrassedGrouse
    3. http://gfycat.com/BreakableEmotionalAfricanclawedfrog

It shows how a few enemies ships dropping out of "warp drive" (you can see them with their own spawn effect) turns into an insane all-out battle. I also added a particle-based target reticle for Unity's GUI. I also turned off some of the background elements so it's easier to see the battle.

- The enemy ships will hunt down the player while avoiding each other.
    - If the player escapes, they'll return and lurk near the origin waiting for you to show up again.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  30. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Update:

The asset I submitted for Inferno VFX was declined. The email I got back wasn't specific about the exact cause for the rejection, but apparently I may have included something irrelevant to the asset itself (I think it was an alternative set of textures I threw in). I've already resubmitted the package after removing that and I'm waiting to have it approved.

The update for UVFX is nearing completion. I've also added in a title screen demo showing how to use the package to quickly prototype animated start screens (again, using almost nothing but particles).

Animated GIF: http://gfycat.com/UntimelyYoungChital.

Both the words "Starfall" and "Destiny" are cool, so I threw them together... :rolleyes:
    I've also updated the game demo with a second camera for first person view and improved the graphics.

Animated GIF: http://gfycat.com/GlaringIllKilldeer.

Finally, I tried out everything on the new Unity 5.3 update and it works and looks great. There seems to be a minor issue with mesh particles, but that's about it. The best thing is that it's backwards compatible with 5.1 so the next update can still support that as the lowest version.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Manny Calavera and hopeful like this.
  31. hopeful

hopeful

Looking forward to all of it! :)

MirzaBeig likes this.
  32. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Inferno VFX has been approved for the asset store! Like the upcoming update for UVFX, it's been tested and made with a newer version of Unity, but I published it using 5.1 for backwards compatibility.

> http://u3d.as/mpY

Manny Calavera likes this.
  33. hopeful

hopeful

Downloading ... :)

UPDATE: Looks good! Of the variations in effects, there's a handful that I think stand out, which I would use. So, not bad for a free set. :D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    MirzaBeig likes this.
  34. Gametyme

Gametyme

Is it possible to add bullet effects like these in this video starting at 2.40?

35. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

I want to take a look at what you're describing but I'm unable to play that video for some reason. Can you try find an alternative?

36. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe he can take a screen shot of it in action ...? I think what he's asking about is basically a wiggly bullet trail.

MirzaBeig and Gametyme like this.
  37. Gametyme

Gametyme

I dont have another way to show you but here's a few screen shots.

Edit...I tried to upload it but it wouldnt work.

38. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

The video worked on another browser. Weird!

Based on what I see here:

It's a mix of a noisy, slightly animated trail and some air/heat distortion.

I've also added some more prefabs based on the game demo:

Gametyme and hopeful like this.
  39. Gametyme

Gametyme

Thats awesome, when will it be availible? Also, will it work on mobile?

40. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Absolutely. However, there are some things to keep in mind:

- This is based on an effect from a triple-AAA, next-gen console title. Importing it as-is for a mobile platform will require optimization. Remember to compress the texture size, turn down the particle count, switch the material for mobile etc...

- This effect does not use a trail renderer. It should, but the prefabs are all particle-based and so it uses distance-based particle emission. This means it will emit a lot of particles.

That being said, look at this screenshot again:

You'll notice the distorted trails being left by the missiles. This is what you'd want to use for mobile. Those are from the TrailRenderer component, using one of the custom distortion shaders in UVFX. You'll have the demo in the next update so you can study it and see how it was done and/or copy, paste, and tweak it until it matches what you want it to look like specifically.

I'd like for this update to be released by mid-January. The review process alone could take two weeks by the Unity team. It's been getting longer over time.

I'll post here when I have a private update available for people who have already purchased UVFX, and you can just email me with your invoice number for a copy. That one I can have ready in about a week or so.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    Gametyme and Manny Calavera like this.
  41. hopeful

hopeful

In defense of the asset store, they've been adding a whole lot more assets lately than they used to. I have no numbers, but it seems like about 2x-4x as many assets per day as was the case in 2013.

42. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

For sure! When I first submitted to the asset store in late December 2014 (almost one year since the release of UVFX!) the email said it will take around three days. Now if you submit you'll get an email telling you it can take five days to some weeks.

Animated GIFs:

- http://gfycat.com/ZanyImmediateHornedviper.
    - http://gfycat.com/MistyAdorableGannet.

I've updated the "bullet storm" prefab:

It now explodes on impact and has some added distortion. I really wish you could have more than two sub-emitters per particle system. I hate having to chain them.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  43. Gametyme

Gametyme

Any plans on making it use a trail renderer?

44. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

It's made using only the Shuriken particle system - without the need for any scripting. So far I've made all the main prefabs this way to keep their usage potential wide and easy to implement. To recreate something like that with the trail renderer would require some scripting. I can certainly do that! But I'm imposing some restrictions on end-users by doing so with the effect.

The missiles you see in the game demo are ideal for being re-purposed as bullets firing from FPS guns. They already have a distortion trail as well as a textured colour trail. I'll also look into setting up an example specifically for the effect you're describing - with trails. I'll need a bit of time to get around to it as I'm finishing off another assignment right now.

Gametyme likes this.
  45. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Update:

So, I've been thinking about what to do with UVFX as part of future updates. A few things have been on my mind and I've decided to flesh them out. I'm going to be working on a new release pattern for future updates.

Along with the main showcase/demo prefabs that everyone has seen so far, I'm also going to be adding themed prefab expansion sets. I've been talking about how in the future I planned to optimize the effects, and that's the goal here.

Unlike the contents of the demo folder - which contains everything so far - the expansions will be game-ready prefabs, designed especially for the theme they belong to. I think this will be great for people who buy specifically so they don't have to spend time figuring out how to make a certain effect, and it effectively increases the range of appeal for UVFX.

ANIMATED GIF: http://gfycat.com/ImaginaryFastAustralianfurseal.

You may notice in this screenshot the date is 12/20/15. Well, that's because I'm from the future... and also because it marks the expected completion time.

Another advantage is that I may be able to release the expansions separately from the main package so people who have UVFX can get these without having to re-download the entire package for updates (just several kilobytes, I'm assuming). Releases from my end would also be faster and make the whole process more streamlined.

In the same way, I can release small game demos as "expansions"! I just need to see if Unity allows this sort of release model. I figure since PopcornFX does something similar, I should be fine.

This is going to push UVFX into v2! :)

46. hopeful

hopeful

Makes sense. The expansion packs refer to the textures in the original pack, but provide new effects.

I would think Unity would allow this, as some packs in the store require ownership of some other asset, like Playmaker, NGUI, and so on.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  47. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

The UVFX v1.8.0 beta is ready! Anyone who owns it can just email me with their invoice number for a copy. It includes the new "Action VFX" expansion I'm currently working on as well as everything I've previewed here so far. Game demo, new prefabs, etc... all of it.

I used Unity 5.3 for creating the package and then exported with 5.1 for backwards compatibility testing.

Just a warning however: the entire folder structure and internal naming scheme has been changed because v1.8 == beta for v2.0.

And, uhh, it's about 1GB in size.

48. hopeful

hopeful

Just 1G? Then it's only slightly larger than the current version. ;)

Is there anything in particular to check for in the beta?

49. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

to be exact... :cool:

I'm releasing this early so users can get an idea of what v2 will be like and because I haven't pushed an update to the store for so long. I'm fully open to suggestions on any potential issues, ideas, and whatever else!

Right now I have two expansions planned: "Action" and "Storm" (very early prototypes for these are already in 1.8b).

The first will include things like explosions and muzzle flashes, while the latter is for weather effects (rain, snow...). Both will be included in the main asset - people who own UVFX don't need to make any separate purchases. But they'll also be available as standalone assets to be sold on the store for people who don't want everything. Based on some feedback and my own observations, this is probably better than constantly pushing updates into one super-massive package like UVFX.

The same will apply to future expansions (fantasy? sci-fi? water/liquid?). I'll provide prefab-only versions as well as standalone packages. People who own UVFX can get the prefab-only version, and anyone else who'd only like those particular effects can purchase the standalone. I'd imagine the main asset would also go through a few price bumps, but that's not something I've locked in yet.

The internal structure for UVFX is currently setup to reflect these changes to allow for hassle-free integration of future expansions and demos. I've already added things in like animated title screens, the game demo you've seen. Loads of fun (and commented!) C# scripts to check out and use freely.

Inferno VFX and that other in-progress, free asset I mentioned are both getting similar updates so they can sit in nicely with UVFX in your projects.

AND FINALLY, I'm thinking of starting a YouTube series on how to use both UVFX and the free particle packs I'm releasing in creative, interesting, and cool ways.

Made using Inferno VFX, which is free (included in the next update). ;)

tl;dr

lots of stuff.

montyfi and Manny Calavera like this.
  50. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Added 32 new prefabs to UVFX as part of the Storm expansion pack:

Animated GIF of the Heavy Rain [Distortion] + Storm Cloud prefabs:
    - http://gfycat.com/ImpossibleNewEmeraldtreeskink.

^Now with 200% more lightning.

^Faking volumetric clouds.

As mentioned before, these are specifically designed to be used as-is by dropping them into your game(s). Of course you can still tweak, mix, and match as much as you'd want.

hopeful likes this.