Search Unity

[RELEASED] uConstruct - Fully generic, socket based runtime construction system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ElroyUnity, Oct 17, 2015.

1. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Oh alright, sorry was sleeping.

Try to "Initiate prefabs update" -> (Window->UConstruct-> Initiate Prefabs Update).
    That should fix it for you :)
    Also try to reset your save (Same path, but reset save instead).
    As it might help a bit.

Hopefully that would work :)
    Elroi.

keifyb likes this.
  2. keifyb

keifyb

yes! that worked thanks, i didn't think of that cause it was a new project. :D

ElroyUnity likes this.
  3. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hehe awesome :)
    Happy it works :)

keifyb likes this.
  4. keifyb

keifyb

hey i found another one for u lol, so i was just messing in-game adding loads of buildings and destroying em to see how it fell apart. it appears that sometimes i can't remove/destroy the foundation or pillars. sometimes it doesn't even give you the option (text on screen) to destroy em and when that happens you cant add to them either. if i stop the game and restart it i can usually destroy the ones i couldn't before again. in one case i added a foundation and 4 pillars, then removed the foundation expecting the pillars to fall but they just stood there like nothing has happened. it was all fine in the last version, it feels something has maybe gone ajar in this one lol. it's not too big of a deal for me atm like this but i just thought i would mention it. all fun and games lol

ElroyUnity likes this.
  5. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Oh thanks for the report,
    Will check this out and fix it for the next version :)

Thanks!

6. Kanefire

Kanefire

For the life of my I can not get this to work, I think I have screwed up where to place the middle section of code, from what you have wrote, I believe it is meant to go in the BuildingPlacer.cs (says something about line 198 ?). I have placed it inside update() is this wrong?

Just to make sure that I am correct with the rest, The foundation itself has the script changed from BuildingBase to BBaseFoundation which calls from BuildingBase. The foundation has posts or what ever attached to it, and on the bottom of those, UndergroundCondition # is simply just calling BUderGroundCondition. My terrain is set to socket and the actual placing of the foundation is set to freely based (tried different ways and didn't work anyway).

I am using the latest version of uConstruct, which might be the problem as I believe the version you where using is the previous one??

Exactly what I was just about to create when I saw you had provided your approach to it, nice design.

Thanks ^.^

ElroyUnity likes this.
  7. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

From what i could see, yes its supposed to be in the Update method.
    Are you possibly getting any errors?
    Or what happends ?

Kanefire likes this.
  8. Kanefire

Kanefire

I have been able to get rid of all errors, and now currently it just wont let me place anything foundations, when trying to place a foundation nothing comes up (when socket based terrain is selected) in the hierarchy it shows that the foundation is actually selected (cube demo) Error console literally just has "uConstruct Successfully Loaded data". Similar when terrain is set as 'Everything' except the foundation appears but is red everywhere. Foundation seems to act like it is supposed to (when going up terrain that has been raised it, stays flat without bending to the shape of the hill (angled). So it seems there is some issue placement? :S

Did a bit of testing, seems when I select a normal (unedited foundation) and click to place (invisible to the character for some reason) the terrain disappears and falling through the ground goes into effect.

Conditions that are in effect -- CheckForCollisionCondition, CleanGround, UndergroundCondition #1 --> 4

Perhaps I need to add sockets for each post interacting with the ground?? even then it still wont let me place a foundation directly on flat ground either. Kinda at a loss of where I screwed up so badly haha.

Thanks for your help ^.^

ElroyUnity likes this.
  9. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Well rest assured that what you have now is a very easy fix -
    Make terrain placing type as "Free place" only.

And then it will work :)

Kanefire and hopeful like this.
  10. Kanefire

Kanefire

As "Free place" normal foundations work perfectly (not on the side of hills but everywhere else), but the edited ones will not, still red almost everywhere with those, I got them working on top of little hills (peak of them) but not on the side at all or on flat ground :S These ones on the top of hills can not connect other foundations to them at all either, figured they would snap too like the normal ones do when placed on a hill.

Thanks so much for this help.

UPDATE

So in my testing, I fixed it so that it can be placed on flat terrain, however it now can not be placed on hills :S snapping is still not working for edited version, however normal is working, so seems I screwed something up in the sockets area.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    ElroyUnity likes this.
  11. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

uhm
    Make sure that the "CheckForCollision" condition isnt applied on that foundation as it wont let you place it on hills.

Kanefire likes this.
  12. Kanefire

Kanefire

Genius XD

Placing on hills works perfectly now, thanks very much, now to try figure out where I screwed up with the snapping haha.

Really appreciate your assistance.

13. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hehe :),
    My pleasure man!

Credit goes for @buronix ;)

14. julianr

julianr

Hey Elroy, which version of Inventory pro does this work on?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  15. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Last time i checked it was working properly on 2.4,
    Did it get deprecated by any chance ? :)

16. julianr

julianr

Not sure, I'll be trying it out in a week. Its on 2.4.1 now.

edit: so I'll let you know :)

ElroyUnity and hopeful like this.
  17. zeb33

zeb33

When I try and place a new foundation prefab from village interiors I get these artifacts (am assuming its maybe z-fighting).
    Any ideas best way to avoid this? Screenshot2 2016-05-04 16.57.35.png

ElroyUnity likes this.
  18. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yea thats probably the case.
    Maybe try to raise the floors a bit.

In the new version i added "placingOffset" so you can choose to add offset to the placed item,
    You could also implement that now if you like, it shouldnt be too hard :)

BackwoodsGaming and zeb33 like this.
  19. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Dont worry guys uConsturct isn't abandoned,
    Still working on update 1.4 :).

Just finished rewriting the AABB calculation for uConstruct physics, which will be included in the next version (100% accurate this time :)).

Incoming features list coming soon, mainly working on bug fixing at the moment :)

20. Wulfklaue

Wulfklaue

I do not think anybody thinks that uConstruct is abandoned. Its one of the best supported assets at the moment. There are not a lot of authors that add documentation to run there assets in half a dozen network layers. Let alone all the work you put into the massive speed improvements.

Thinking about using uConstruct as a way to build all the building in my game. A bit like old fashion Ultima Online map building ( If people remember how the maps got made on that one :) ).

Your also working on the new uNature asset... so of course things do not always go super fast. ;)

If it think how long it took the guys at Rust to have there building system made. And even today it can still horribly lag things. Technically you recreated that system in a few months and its more flexible & has more performance. Not a bad job i will say ;)

zeb33, BackwoodsGaming and ElroyUnity like this.
  21. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thank you so much for your kind words :)
    I appreciate it a lot!

22. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I agree.. I kind of like the way you switch back and forth between your assets. When I don't see you posting updates here, I see you posting updates about uNature. In the future I expect we may even see you switching between more products. But one thing that you've proven is that when you come back to do another big update, you continue to blow us away. Just look at the jump from Trees Manager System to uNature. Huge boost in performance in addition to adding grass support. Awesome assets + awesome support + awesome updates = well... awesomeness! heheh

Looking forward to whatever you may have planned down the road for uConstruct. Regardless of whether it is updates or add-ons. :)

ElroyUnity likes this.
  23. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thanks for your kind words Shawn :)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  24. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

I am trying to test out uConstruct Free in Unity 5.3.4 with an empty project, but I am getting this strange error:

Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespace (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.GlobalRootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.LoadReferences () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The class System.CodeDom.CodeCompileUnit could not be loaded, used in System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Any help would be appreciated.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  25. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey,
    Make sure you look into the uConstruct_Free.pdf in the documentation folder :). (It should fix your issue)

Hopefully that helps :),
    Elroi.

26. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

Thanks, it worked. Though I think that this should be broadcasted to the user better. Maybe printing a message to the console instructing how to fix it when the package is first imported?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  27. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

That's a good idea :),
    Will add to the next version! :)

28. Wulfklaue

Wulfklaue

Might be helpful to remove the poll or put a new poll. Its kind of stale *lol*

ElroyUnity likes this.
  29. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Lol true, i will try to remove it :D

Will add it again when i start working on integrations again :).

30. Wulfklaue

Wulfklaue

Found maybe a little bug:

* With the uConstruct free version, if you try the CodeGenerator, one gets the following error:

DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "J:\Unity Projects\Anticara\Assets\UConstruct\Scripts\CodeGenerator\BuildingTypes.cs".
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/FileStream.cs:292)

Maybe better to disable this in the free version.

* Another strange bug in the free version

Using the First Person builder, for some reason yesterday i was able to place beams on a incorrect offset. Only happen one time and still not sure how i did it. The beams in the corners anchors worked correctly but for some strange reason i got 3 beams placed into the middle section of a foundation. Not able to reproduce that. Maybe because i was doing from a far distance or mixing both First Person builder & the other one. A bit odd. I will see if i can reproduce it with the paid version.

uConstruct ( paid version ):

* A lot of line ending notifications in the script. I assume your using Mac?

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/uConstruct/Scripts/Core/Extensions/Extensions/Forge/Integration/Demo/PlayerInstantiater.cs' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.

Only about 70 notifications. Think the same thing also happens on the free version but less of a issue when its only 2 or 3 script files *lol*. Those darn Mac users. ;)

Playing around with it some more when i have time later.

* Question: Is it possible to mix different size types in the blueprints.

For instance, the current foundation slab is something like 6 * 6 units. Is it possible to also create a 3 * 3 foundation and have the 6*6 foundation slab accept a) the normal 6*6 or b) the 3*3's. I only took a quick look at it and it looked like you can only accept one type of connection. I assume the roundabout way is to create a:

6*6 foundation slab that can accept 3*3's and a default 6*6 foundation slab that can accept 6*6's. And reverse 3*3 that can accept 6*6 etc ... Problem becomes if you also have smaller walls etc, it becomes a lot of assets.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  31. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thank you for reporting these bugs!.

1. Yes this is a known issue, its because the "BuildingTypes" class is inside the dlls so it cant locate it, will be fixed in the next version :).

2. I am actually on windows, but i will fix it, its very simple :).

3. That's a good idea, i will see what i can do :), might support several "packs" in the next version so each type can have several buildings you can export from :).

Elroi.

32. Wulfklaue

Wulfklaue

Thank you for considering this. This opens up a lot of possibilities. My idea was to have combinations:

Foundation: 6*6 ( current: "normal room size" )
    Foundation: 3*3
    Foundation: 3*6
    Foundation: 3*3 ( Triangle )
    Foundation: 3*3 ( Half circle )
    Foundation: 3*3 ( Half Hexagon )

Wall: 6*
    Wall: 3*
    Wall: Curved ( for the half circle foundation )
    Wall: 1* ( For half Hexagon for instance )

Floor: 6*6 ( 0.1m height )
    Floor: 6.6 ( 0.5m height )

It allows a lot more variation in the design. It also means we can have:

Foundation: 12*12 ( medium room ) or 18*18 ( for big rooms ) with only one prefab ( instead of 4 or 16 ). And then stack smaller rooms with 6*6 on the sides. Like a throne room that has rooms on the side ( just a silly example ).

By combining the few base elements, you get a massive variety in design possibilities.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  33. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Absolutely!
    I like the idea :).

I will make sure that it will be included in the next version.

Thanks for suggesting it!
    Elroi :).

34. robinlancee

robinlancee

Can you please try to fix Building system i can pay you 10 euro for it. :) need it i can't make my game working now :p

ElroyUnity likes this.
  35. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Sorry, i know you reported the networking bug a few days ago but really busy with my finals now.
    I am trying to fix it slowly, i will hopefully finish it tommorow and send you a fixed version.

36. robinlancee

robinlancee

Thank you for fixing! im happy right now, verry good support btw!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  37. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

My pleasure :)

38. buronix

buronix

Hey,
    Im having a weird problem, I was working on the cubedemo scene implementing my own buildings and all was working perfectly, when I try to implement it in my scene I have a big problem cause I can place the foundations in the terrain (the terrain has a base socket with free building place type) but I cant place any building in other building sockets not even the foundations are snapped between them (I can place 2 foundations pretty close, but not snap, only manually). the prefabs are the same, I tried even to debug the hits and there is no hits at all (in the cubes demo scene I can debug the hits with the different sockets without problems), The buildinggroup is in range (I have the base aoi finder), the default layers are created, and the socket layers are the default ones.

Can you point me in the direction of the problem, Im going mad with this, I can attach you some screenshots if you needed.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    ElroyUnity likes this.
  39. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!

So according to your explanation it should be a pretty easy fix, what is the "Placing Type" set to on the foundation ?
    It should be set to "Everything", so it could be placed freely and also snap to other objects.

Tell me if that works any better :).

40. buronix

buronix

Hey,

Sorry, my bad, in the new scene I had the buildingplayer rayoffset set to 50 (I though it was the raydistance), I dont know why I could place buildings on the terrain socket with the offset, but not snap or place other buildings over it.

Thanks anyway !!

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    ElroyUnity likes this.
  41. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!
    Sorry for not replying sooner, i have actually seen the message 2 mins after you posted it but couldnt reply from my mobile so i had to wait till i am home.

But its good that you solved it at the end :).
    Sorry for the confusion with the rayoffset, will look into it :).

And again, happy it works :)
    Elroi.

42. Alex3333

Alex3333

Good afternoon. Interested in purchasing your asset. But I need answers to my questions )) . The most important question for me. Running your asset with ufps MULTIPLAYER ????? What features made the integration with the asset Inventory Pro ?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  43. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!
    Sorry for the late response.

1 - Currently i do not think that it works with UFPS-Photon as i had some people reporting something regarding it. I am currently working on the new version and i have added that to my queue.

2 - Currently with Inventory Pro you can have your buildings as items in the inventory, they can be used and dropped and anything else you can do with Inventory Pro :).

I hope that answers your questions :)

44. Alex3333

Alex3333

your asset will work in the new version of ufps with multieplayer. Or do you want to do it after the release of the new version. It turns out only 1 version will work?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  45. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Uhm, what i mean is that if you import UFPS multiplayer into uConstruct and enable the UFPS extensions it will most likely not work.

But i plan to make it compatible in the next version of uConstruct (v1.4) which will hopefully be released next week :).

99thmonkey likes this.
  46. Alex3333

Alex3333

I bought your asset. I hope you keep your word and make ufps multiplayer compatible next week.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  47. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thanks for your purchase!

I cannot guarantee that the version will be released next week (it probably will tho),
    but the integration will definitely be included in the next version :).

48. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Currently working on the new version and i reproduced this bug, wasn't very hard lol...
    Getting it fixed!

Message me privately if you want this fix before i actually submit the version :)

49. keifyb

keifyb

thats cool its getting fixed, i have just been messing with inventory pro's ufps photon multiplayer addon intergration that i got lately and its an ace addition to online gameplay, i could only imagine using uconstruct and unature with it. chop or shoot down the unature, collect wood and grass, craft into uconstruct buildings or vehicles.

i tryed uconstruct out a while ago with my friends copy of MFP just to test it out, almost got it working but there was some error with one of its bl_playersomething scripts or something like that, so u get an error everytime u try to put something down and so it doesnt put it down. It's not on this comuter so i haven't got the log, just thought i should let u know though. Not really sure whats going on with that asset anyways lol.
    pun sky arena i got that ages ago, i could try it with uconstruct and trees one day though i dont know how it would work out lol.
    realistic car controller v3 just released photon intergration with its asset, might have to try it out with uconstruct and trees. When i first saw uconstruct i kind of imagined adding the foundation of the house to attach to everthing. To a car system like a body door wheels shield system or guns and it shows you what you can add instead of having to change with a key press , if u have it then you can add it. it is highlighted like the gizmo that you can turn on and off

i cant wait for the moment i finally have a no man sky/battlefield/gta/arksurvival/lego multiplayer game of my own lol. For me its this photon thing that gives me the most problems, totally confusing. Do you think photon is the way to go? whats your best platform for online multiplayer?

i need to mess around with uconstruct more.
    i must admit i have got side tracked to make it ;) hehe ONLINE woo:p

keep up the ace work i will try figure out how to PM errr lol

ElroyUnity likes this.
  50. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thanks for your kind words!

And definitely :) uNature is also going to be a really good asset in my opinion and they could work together pretty well :p

I really agree with the idea that you make your cars with uConstruct, that's an awesome idea and its you can pull it off easily :).

Tbh, i don't want to mislead you, everyone has their own preferences, but i personally dont like photon cloud much, i prefer the other networking libraries more. (for pc at least).

I will let you know when i get the UFPS Photon Cloud integration done :), shouldn't take long.

Thanks for the patience man!!

zeb33 likes this.