Search Unity

[RELEASED] Super Tilemap Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Feb 21, 2016.

1. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Soon I will publish a new tool to help on the creation of games based on tiles.
    I have focused on making a flexible and easy tool, really user friendly.
    Check the video and let me know if you have any questions or any feedback.
    And if you like it, don't forget to press like ;)

Check the main differences between Super Tilemap Editor and Unity Tilemap here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-super-tilemap-editor.387330/page-18#post-3287124

Super Tilemap Editor is a fast and easy to use tile editor to help you to create any game based on tiles.
    • Features:
      • Easy and fun to use
      • Full Editor integration
      • Tile Vertex Painting New in V1.4.5
      • Pyxel Edit import
      • Tiled TMX import New in V1.3.5
      • Tilemap Parallax New in V1.4.3
      • Run-Time tilemap generation with colliders
      • Create Tile Views or Tile prefabs for easy painting
      • Fully customizable 2D & 3D seamless tile colliders created on the fly
      • Tilemap Groups (aka tilemap layers)
      • Fully Customizable Brushes
      • Autotiling modes: self, other & group
      • Support for subdivided autotiling
      • Copy, Cut, Fill, Rotate and Flip tile edition
      • Tint, Pixel Snap and Sorting render options
      • Tile and brush user parameters: int, float, bool & prefab
      • Tile and brush prefab creation
      • Full source code available
      • Optimized for mobile devices
      • Reduced scene size
      • Two tilesets (platformer & rogue) using CC0 kenney's assets and demo scenes
    Fog of War using Vertex Painting and A* included in Roguelike Demo

Vertex Painting Example

Collider autotiling and road brush using with random tiles

screen5.png
    tileProperties.png
    brushes.png
    subdividedAutotiling.png
    tileColliders.png

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

It looks very cool.

3. trizero

trizero

can't wait ,is it released?

4. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Not yet, but it is in the process to be reviewed by Unity. It should take about 5 working days, but sometimes it take more time.
    I decided to submit another version on Monday including the tile prefab creation and other improvements, so maybe the time was reset, I am not sure. Maybe for next week. Be patient ;)

5. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Super Tilemap Editor v1.0.0 has been released with a special launch price!
    Check it out! http://u3d.as/ouJ

6. SirStompsalot

SirStompsalot

I'm not entirely certain that I'll use it, but it still looks really good so I bought it. Nicely done!

7. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks! Don't miss the opportunity to use it. I'll be glad to help you with any issue you have using the tool.

8. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Hey I was wondering how long is the special launch price going to be 15$. I own RPGMap Editor and love it. I am thinking about buying this one and seeing how it compares to others that can do platform style level making.

9. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    Thanks for buying RPG Map Editor ;)
    I am not sure how long it will be, it depends on how it is going in the next days. If feedback is positive and it is what people wanted I will increase the price to the final one.
    If you are planning to make a platform game, here is a crossover between Super Tilemap Editor and Smart Platform Colliders:
    steditorSPCollidersCrossOver.gif

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  10. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

For feedback I think a lot of people will be interested, specially depending on the final price. The main reason is the ability to save prefab brushes and create custom colliers for each tile. In most tile editors I have tested when making a slope the auto generated collider has a slight offset on the hypotenuse. Which gave some problems. All my platform controls uses raycasts to test for custom collisions to see if the rays are hitting a normal point with a certain angle to see if I can walk up the slope. Since the collider was off set in the tile editor I was testing it gave some collision issues. So being able to create colliders in a special editor for each tile is going to be one of the best selling points I am guessing.

11. trizero

trizero

the collider not support collider 2d ?

12. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Nice ! But ... It's only for static objects ? For example, how to make a 'tile' move ? I've tried attaching a prefab that moves transform but no effect on the tile itself. So what's the point ?

Also, it's very difficult to 'select' a tile back ... with only 'painting' tools it's very frustrating to find which tile and edit it. I hope you correct this in the future.

13. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

About the slope issues, I didn't find any problem using my own platform collider system, also using raycasts for collision detection. Unnecessary tile collider lines are also removed for performance. I am not sure what problem you had with other editors, but anyway I made an screenshot of the slope so you can see how the colliders (the green line) are made.
    slopeCollider.png

14. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Not for this first release, but it is a high priority feature for next release, so if it goes well, it will be available soon.

15. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,

You cannot move a tile, only animate it, but not the colliders on it, only the graphic part of the tile will be changed.
    You can build a platform using a tilemap but you have to move the tilemap using your own moving platform script.
    Or you can create a moving platform with a sprite renderer using a tile, attach the script for moving it, attach a collider to it, then create a prefab and attach the prefab to a tile, so the platform will be created using the prefab instead painting the tile.

16. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

The collider looks very well placed. I look forward to trying it out.

17. AndrewRyan

AndrewRyan

Really cool and affordable plugin you made here. I would also really appreciate support for 2d colliders. When is next release?

18. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It hope it willl be available soon, during next week or the week after. It will also depends on the time from the upload to the validation by the Unity team.

19. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Just checking, but by this comment I am assuming next update will include 2d collider support.

20. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Exactly, next update will include 2d collider support.

21. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Thanks for the clarification. I was waiting for 2d collider support to be implemented before I bought the package. Glad to see it is coming out soon.

22. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

New version of Super Tilemap Editor v1.1 has been submitted with new features:
    • Support for 2D tile colliders
    Instead of a check box option "Has Colliders", there is a droplist with the collider type for the tilemap: None, 2D & 3D.
    The Pixel Platform Demo scene has been changed to use 2D colliders, also the key prefab is using a rigidBody2D and a Box2D collider.
    I have also changed the Special Launch Price from 15$ to 20$.
    It should be available soon, after the validation process.

tileColliderType.png

23. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

I noticed when making a tilemap you have the tile data auto slice the atlas by using grid sizes. Do you have any plans to make it where we can use the sprite editor and make an atlas from there and use that for tile map data.

24. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Cecilcruxis,

I didn't have plans for that, but I have worked on it after seeing your suggestion and I have include the option to import the slicing settings from the spritesheet using the existent sliced sprites. So you can use the spritesheet sprites or slice it again changing the slicing setting in the tileset.
    There is an updated version in the review process, but after the next version, I will submit other version with this new feature.
    Thanks for you feedback ;)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  25. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

You sir should be made asset author of the year. As usually your support is AAA quality. Thank you that feature will quicken the process a lot.

By the way I am not sure if this is a bug or by design, but I cannot change the sorting layer of the tiles inside the map renderer.

26. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks for your commentary, I always try to do my best to support my customers ;)
    About the bug of sorting layer, I have been investigating and I missed something by mistake:
    In line:
    "\CreativeSpore\SuperTilemapEditor\Scripts\Tilemap\Editor\TilemapEditor.cs(194)"
    Code (CSharp):
    2. m_tilemap.SortingLayerID = m_tilemap.SortingLayerID; //NOTE: this makes all chunks to be modified as well
    Before that line, I forgot to apply the modified properties:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. serializedObject.ApplyModifiedProperties();
    3. m_tilemap.SortingLayerID = m_tilemap.SortingLayerID; //NOTE: this makes all chunks to be modified as well
    Without this extra line, the tiles are updated using the previous sorting layer instead of the new sorting layer.
    Sorry for this, I tested it carefully before release, but It's difficult not to miss something.
    After adding this extra line, to fix a tilemap you need to select a different sorting layer first, then select again the original one, to force an update.

Anyway, it's strange you cannot select any layer. Check if you have more than one SortingLayerAttribute in the code.
    Maybe other asset has defined this attribute already and it works differently.

If you still have problems, contact by email to creativespore@gmail.com and send a test project so I can see what is wrong.

27. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Sorry about the poor quality of the video my wifi mouse was dying during it.

I made a new project and only imported Super Tilemap Editor. I went to the line of code you pointed out to and tried it, but still had a slight issue with changing sorting layer.

Don't worry about missing a line or two in code. It is still the best tilemap I have used so far.

28. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I found the problem.
    It was happening with sorting layers with negative id.
    Download and overwrite this file to fix the issue:
    SortingLayerPropertyDrawer.cs
    It is located in "\CreativeSpore\SuperTilemapEditor\Scripts\Tilemap\Editor"

29. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

New version of Super Tilemap Editor v1.1.0 released!
    • Added support for 2D tile colliders (remember to enable the colliders in tilemap section "Colliders")

30. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Just thought I would let you know that script you sent fixed everything. Thank you for the help.

31. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Great! Let me know if you find any other issue ;)

32. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Has anyone mentioned an instance where if you try to just drag and paint it randomly switches to the fill tool and fills the whole map instead of just painting one tile at a time. If I drag right away it tries to autofill, but if I click on a tile that is already there then move the painter off the tile it paints normally.

33. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Ignore this the 1.1.1 patch seemed to fix it.

34. zwickarr

zwickarr

does each tile have its own collision? is there a way to "bake" the tile collisions into one poly collision like Tiled2Unity does?

35. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

By the looks of it the coliders they form one giant collider box. Here is an image so you can see.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    zwickarr likes this.
  36. meapps

meapps

Could you add that Feature that everybody can build in altas in Unity like 2dtoolkit does it ?

37. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You define a collision per tile. But the colliders are optimized to make a continuous collider and remove useless colliders when they are inside a blocked area.
    You can select in the tilemap if the colliders should be 3D ( a mesh collider ) or 2D ( using Edge Colliders )
    In this gif you can see the process of creating the colliders ( the blue lines ) in real time and according to neighbors tile colliders.
    collidersAutotiling.gif

zwickarr likes this.
  38. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I had in mind to create a wizard for creating a tile atlas from other tile atlases.
    Eventually I will add more options to create your own tilemaps, add pixel padding, etc, but I cannot asure you when it will be.

39. zwickarr

zwickarr

Excellent, will buy!

40. Async0x42

Async0x42

I didn't notice these in the docs, so correct me if I'm missing them somewhere, but I've got a few feature requests:
    1. When a tile is selected, allow us to hold CTRL down and select other tiles (for example, so we could make a + sign of tiles and paint them, or varying shapes)
    2. A 'stamp' brush, where we can select a range of tiles as a pre-defined stamp to place on the map (a regular drag-drop rectangle, or combined with request #1 above) - As well as
    3. Quick creation of brushes, ala highlight a range (as above), click a + button, and then there's a stamp brush in the brush palette (with a popup to ask for a name and place to save I guess).
    4. With a 'stamp' brush, factory prefabs would be useful tool. Perhaps instead of two separate brushes, the factory brush could be replaced by the more customizable stamp brush, and then a boolean to toggle the factory options. Basically a much more flexible stamp brush.
    5. When erasing tiles, if a whole row or column is removed, shrink the tilemap (just the opposite of growing the tilemap when new tiles are added out-of-range)
    6. Built-in methods such as tile -> world pos, world pos -> tile, etc
    7. Allow drag-drop reordering of the brushes. Right now, as soon as you mouse-down then it selects the asset file. (Maybe a bug, as listed below, with Unity 5.4 beta)
    8. I'm just playing around with it right now, but using your rogue-like as an example, is there an easy way to set a 'brush' as a tile to paint?
    i.e, instead of 'uint tileWater = (8 << 16);', we could have a public field for a brush or tile, and then we can set a specific brush or tile that way to be passed through to SetTileData

I just got it today, but so far this is looking pretty great!

Issues
    --
    Regarding this bug, I'm having this issue using 1.1.1. Anytime I try to click + drag it counts as a double-click and fills the map. This might be why I can't rearrange the brush palette actually, because when I drag, it selects the asset.

I'm running Unity 5.4b10, so maybe that's the issue.

Another problem, when I'm creating a brush and I select the empty tile slot, to select the tile. If I mouse-over the brushes then it auto selects the brush (and the asset file), losing the newly created brush.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  41. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

I am working from two separate computers. I have found one computer it works fine on while the other does not play pretty. I am working on the same project on both computers using bitbucket.

42. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.
    I will answer you one by one:
    1. When a tile is selected, allow us to hold CTRL down and select other tiles (for example, so we could make a + sign of tiles and paint them, or varying shapes)
    I will think about this. I was thinking about the best way to add shape brushes, but the initial idea was drawing the same tile in a shape way, like a star, a circle, etc. But after your post, I think I could make a brush were you can draw a patter to be drawn. But I prefer think this carefully to avoid making innecessary stuff and find the best solution. For example the creation of a prefab of tiles so you can copy a bunch and create a prefab with them.
    1. A 'stamp' brush, where we can select a range of tiles as a pre-defined stamp to place on the map (a regular drag-drop rectangle, or combined with request #1 above) - As well as
    Answered above.
    1. Quick creation of brushes, ala highlight a range (as above), click a + button, and then there's a stamp brush in the brush palette (with a popup to ask for a name and place to save I guess).
    As there are and there will be different kind of brushes in the future, this fast way to create brushes would be limited. But I created a way to create brushes faster by adding the option to complete a brush automatically selecting only one of the tiles.
    You can see it in this video 1:09

Basically, you create a brush (road brush for example), fill the tiles needed to create the brush.
    Then you select the brush in the project view, press Ctrl + D to create a copy, then select only one of the tiles, press the auto complete button, and the other tiles will be changed relative to the last modification.
    This way you can make brushes really fast.

1. With a 'stamp' brush, factory prefabs would be useful tool. Perhaps instead of two separate brushes, the factory brush could be replaced by the more customizable stamp brush, and then a boolean to toggle the factory options. Basically a much more flexible stamp brush.
    There is a better way to create prefabs using the tile property "Prefab". But I just leave this other way in case user want a custom way to create prefabs other than standard way using tile property prefab.
    1. When erasing tiles, if a whole row or column is removed, shrink the tilemap (just the opposite of growing the tilemap when new tiles are added out-of-range)
    This is something I have been thinking about. As maps are boundless you need a way to know what the map limits are. Depending on the game, that could be all the tile surface, maybe a small region, etc.
    Right now, the map area is increased to include all painted tiles, but it's never shrinked becase it would need more calculations as I need to check the minimum area to include all visible tiles. But as I said, this could be something some users would like to manage on their own, so I was waiting to see what cases I should have into account. Anyway I have in my list at least a button to fit the map to include all visible tiles.

1. Built-in methods such as tile -> world pos, world pos -> tile, etc
    For a tile -> world position I will include this method in next relase:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public Vector3 GetGridWorldPos(int gridX, int gridY)
    3. {
    4.     return transform.TransformPoint( new Vector2( (gridX + .5f) * CellSize.x, (gridY + .5f) * CellSize.y ));
    5. }
    For a world pos to tile, it depends on a raycast more than a position, in case the tilemap is rotated, for example, but there is a useful method in BrushUtils.cs GetGridX and GetGridY.
    You have to pass a local position of the tilemap surface. If you use a raycast and you have the world position (vWorldPos) where it hits the tilemap, the local position would be:
    vector2 vLocPos = tilemap.transform.InverseTransformPoint(vWorldPos);
    int gridX = BrushUtils.GetGridX( vLocPos, tilemap.CellSize );
    int gridY = BrushUtils.GetGridY( vLocPos, tilemap.CellSize );

1. Allow drag-drop reordering of the brushes. Right now, as soon as you mouse-down then it selects the asset file. (Maybe a bug, as listed below, with Unity 5.4 beta)
    It looks like a Unity bug with doble clicking. I use (Event.current.clickCount >= 2) to check if there is a double click, but it looks it is not working properly in some cases. So I would use my own double click implementation for next release.
    It happens because when you make double click on a brush, the brush is selected and it looks like the click and drag is considered as a double click.
    Comment this line until I fix this in next release:
    TilesetControl.cs(323) m_selectBrushInInspector = brushCont.BrushAsset;

1. I'm just playing around with it right now, but using your rogue-like as an example, is there an easy way to set a 'brush' as a tile to paint?
    I will add a method like BuildTileData( int tileId, int BrushId, bool flipV, bool flipY, bool rot90 ) to make it easier to create a tile data.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  43. Async0x42

Async0x42

RE "There is a better way to create prefabs using the tile property "Prefab". But I just leave this other way in case user want a custom way to create prefabs other than standard way using tile property prefab."

The reason why I'd like a brush property (w/ the stamp brush mentioned at the start) for creating the prefab, vs the factory, or even the tile property, is that we can have a multi-sized tile which gets replaced by a prefab (which has the same size). Then we could say, 'stamp' a bush that's a 4x4 tile, or another complicated item, but create a prefab for the actual object (that isn't split into pieces).

Let's use Super Mario for an example. An enemy can be 2 tiles high, in this case, we would have a stamp brush (2 tiles), place it, and then it would be replaced with a 2 tile high prefab enemy (that is 1 full object, not split into tiles). There's various other options such as trees for top-down RPG's and the like, that are multi-tile sizes, but could be replaced by a similar sized prefab (rather than a 1-tile spawner tile, this lets us visibly see it)

---

RE the map size shrinking -> Some way to manage it would be fine, vs auto-shrinking. Perhaps even a handler we can drag to shrink/expand the map (similar to resizing a box collider)

Thanks for the fix, and looking forward to the updates! (Also about the BuildTileData, I don't remember off-hand, but I think the brushes didn't have a public ID when I tried to do something like my example)

44. Async0x42

Async0x42

A few more requests:
    • More options for 2D colliders (i.e, box collider rather than edge collider, or polygon)
    • Allow setting the collision layer in Tilemap -> Collider settings
    • Multi-tile editing of parameters (it's very tedious bulk-adding parameters to multiple tiles right now). A quick fix could be to let us select multiple parameters and copy/paste them (in addition to adding multi-edit support in the future)
    • Tile Property Window -> Remove All & Sort By Name should be greyed out if there are no parameters in the list (Just for user experience)
    • Allow clamping the tile map size (we set the tile map to 32x32, the empty map border is displayed, and we aren't able to paint out of bounds)
    A couple bugs I noticed, probably a Unity 5.4 issue again...
    • When I add a new tile parameter, the textbox deselects if I move the mouse even 1px. If I don't move the mouse, I'm able to edit it normally.
    • Parameters don't update the Tile Property window when switching tiles. Collider/Prefab's update the view properly, but parameters require a window close and re-open

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  45. zwickarr

zwickarr

I'm learning to create animBrushes. Is there a faster way to create anim brushes with many frames? For example I could select a row of tiles (12 for example) and then with a press of a button it can automatically create the brush? maybe it could remember the order i multi select and create the animation from that?
    upload_2016-3-21_22-13-2.png

46. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

The second bug you mention happens sometimes in Unity 5.3.4f1

47. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

For the case of a prefab using more than one tile, like an enemy that is 2 tiles high or even an structure that is 3x3 tiles, for example, you can attach the prefab to a tile a use the pixel offset property to place it properly.
    I would add in this case an icon of that object with the size of a tile and attach the prefab to that tile.
    Otherwise it leads to several complications, like, what happens if you overwrite one of the tiles with another tile, should the prefab disappear? And if you copy half of the tiles, what should happen then when pasting the tiles in other place?

About the map bounds, I will probably add an option to automatically increase the bounds while painting, set the bounds by hand and a button to shrink the bounds to fit the visible tiles.

About the brush id, the id is in the Tileset, automatically assigned when it's imported the first time. All brushes ids can be found in Tileset.Brushes list. And also, in the scene view while painting, you can see the selected tile or brush id on the top left corner.

48. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I answer your requests below:
    • More options for 2D colliders (i.e, box collider rather than edge collider, or polygon)
    Why would you need more 2D colliders options? Can you give me an example?
    • Allow setting the collision layer in Tilemap -> Collider settings
    You can set the collision layer on top of the inspector view, why do you need it in the Collider section?
    • Multi-tile editing of parameters (it's very tedious bulk-adding parameters to multiple tiles right now). A quick fix could be to let us select multiple parameters and copy/paste them (in addition to adding multi-edit support in the future)
    I will note that to think a solution to copy parameters. Probably I will add the option to copy the parameters and paste or merge them in other tile.
    • Tile Property Window -> Remove All & Sort By Name should be greyed out if there are no parameters in the list (Just for user experience)
    Ok, that was easy :)
    • Allow clamping the tile map size (we set the tile map to 32x32, the empty map border is displayed, and we aren't able to paint out of bounds)
    I will add more options for map bounds management, including this.
    • When I add a new tile parameter, the textbox deselects if I move the mouse even 1px. If I don't move the mouse, I'm able to edit it normally.
    I think that is a bug with Unity. I couldn't reproduce the bug.
    • Parameters don't update the Tile Property window when switching tiles. Collider/Prefab's update the view properly, but parameters require a window close and re-open
    This is a bug I have just fixed. Until next release, you can select any brush tile, the a tileset tile, to refresh the tile property list.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  49. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It would be easy to achieve I think. I will create a button to add currently selected tiles.

freeflyShaw likes this.
  50. zwickarr

zwickarr

Thanks! that will speed things up a lot for me. I am creating many animated tiles.