Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Sprite Font Builder

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by VortexStudios, May 18, 2015.

1. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

The plugin is done!! Here two videos about how you create and convert any PNG file into a usable font on Unity UI engine :)

Here some features:
    • Convert any sprite into a usable UI font
    • Automatically create every files need to your font, you just need the sprite, the plugin do the dirty job
    • Automatically generate the spritesheet from a JSON data to create a non-monospaced font
    • You can cut the spritesheet by yourself using the standard Unity sprite editor, no extra plugin or window
    • You can add any picture inside the font, like joystick buttons arts, character faces...
    • Save every font configuration to easely update or correct some settings
    • A very easy tool! Create to your artist design and test the font by himself!
    Future features:
    • Create the sprite texture and sprite sheet inside the Unity, no need of any other third party software
    • Separate the font by types, like characters, numbers or chinese letters
    Thinks to think:
    • Find a way to create the font only with the letters the game are using to reduce the final build size and make mobile devices happy :)
    GET IT NOW!!
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/37343

Visit our page on Asset Store to know more about our stuff
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/publisher/4888

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

3. p6r

p6r

Very interesting and clever !
    Wait and see for the price...

6R

4. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

5. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

Here some gift keys for the Sprite Font Builder :) Please, send screens from your game using our assets :D

ASV-JQYC-LEPX-GAVG-PFNX-PPE6
    ASV-HALG-PCKW-MJNE-63XK-3QV6
    ASV-NKJ7-AMDD-RV6D-FYCD-3PWX

6. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

7. mrwind1

mrwind1

Is this plugin support canvas only ?
    I want some a support sprite renderer for display text

8. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

Just canvas, but what you need?? You can't use canvas for that?? :-/
    Send more info about what you like to do and we find a good solution :)

9. Doyora

Doyora

Hi, I bought this plugin but it does not work. I made my spritesheet using shoebox. I imported the generated spritesheet and font file, but when I tried to then use the plugin it says I am "Using User Created Sprite Sheet". When I hit generate it then gives me an IndexOutOfRangeException and the generated font has 0 characters.

the error in full:
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    SpriteFontBuilderWindow.BuildFont () (at Assets/Vortex Game Studios/SpriteFontBuilder/Editor/SpriteFontBuilderWindow.cs:282)
    SpriteFontBuilderWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Vortex Game Studios/SpriteFontBuilder/Editor/SpriteFontBuilderWindow.cs:122)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

10. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

hello! send a email to contato@vortexstudios.com :)
    send the sprite and the characters used on it ^^

11. HoMeBoYErik

HoMeBoYErik

I have the same problem!!! I sent an email . Please help

12. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

OH!!! I've got the issue!! The ShowBox now export the file as a .FNT file not .TXT... The plugin is looking for a .TXT, just rename it from fnt to txt :D

I'll send a upgrade with this right now and work on to remove the shoebox need...

13. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

The upgrade is online :) Now it works with TXT and FNT files :)

14. ReeseEifler

ReeseEifler

I am getting a slightly different IndexOutOfRangeException in Unity, but I am not using Shoebox. I am creating my own sprite sheet as in your example with SpaceLander. I do have Shoebox, but the same problem occurred when I used it. Do you have a fix for this?

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    SpriteFontBuilderWindow.BuildFont () (at Assets/Vortex Game Studios/SpriteFontBuilder/Editor/SpriteFontBuilderWindow.cs:285)
    SpriteFontBuilderWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Vortex Game Studios/SpriteFontBuilder/Editor/SpriteFontBuilderWindow.cs:118)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  15. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

can you send a scene with the font to contato@vortexstudios.com?? :)

16. ReeseEifler

ReeseEifler

sure, just a moment....sent...and solved. Thank you for being so helpful and responsive! ++

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  17. madfatcat

madfatcat

Cannot make this work with premade spritesheet. I never seen shoebox, but I believe it generates fnt file in standart format, like this: char id=32 x=2 y=2 width=0 height=0 xoffset=0 yoffset=56 xadvance=20 page=0 chnl=0
    I make font spritesheets using bmglyph or literra and I got the "Shoebox created sprite sheet found" message. After pressing the green button I get an error:
    ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Cannot be negative.
    Parameter name: length
    System.String.Substring (Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:348)
    SpriteFontBuilderWindow.BuildSprite (.SpriteFontComponent font) (at Assets/Vortex Game Studios/SpriteFontBuilder/Editor/SpriteFontBuilderWindow.cs:213)
    SpriteFontBuilderWindow.BuildFont () (at Assets/Vortex Game Studios/SpriteFontBuilder/Editor/SpriteFontBuilderWindow.cs:277)
    SpriteFontBuilderWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Vortex Game Studios/SpriteFontBuilder/Editor/SpriteFontBuilderWindow.cs:118)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

18. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

can you send a scene with the font to contato@vortexstudios.com?? :)

19. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

hello again o/
    as I had send to your email, I saw the bmglyph and literra file structrute, it is just a little different from the shoebox :( so, for now we can't support them...

20. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

hello everyone!

good news, thanks for lots of feedbacks, we are solving some bugs, but not just that, we are testing our own algorithm to create the font sprite, with this algorithm you will didn't not need any external software to create complex fonts, like the Shoebox :)

we are very happy with this new feature :D

not just this, we are creating a new extension for the default text component, what this component do?? animated font!!
    just one exemple, check this video texts, you will can do that in your game!

sure there more stuff! very soon we will open our new site and new tumblr :) and when we open then, we will post about our new tool(s), the EASY Toolkit ^^

once again, a very thanks for everyone who supported us, you guys are awesome <3

21. cchosking

cchosking

I have a question about licensing. In the Asset Store it says "This extension requires one license per seat". Is this for the edit or runtime component? If my development team is 10 people, but only 2 people are working on UI/Fonts, how many seats do I require. Thanks.

22. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

hey! this is the standard unity asset licence.
    first question, this is JUST for edit, you didn't need to pay anything more for the runtime.
    second question, each seat is the guys who are using the plugin... (I think xD)

but, as it is my plugin, now I say, you just need the plugin for guys who are creating the font, so, if you have 10 guys working in a game and just 2 work on UI/fonts, you just need for these 2 guys....

PhoenixRising1 and cchosking like this.
  23. JaseofBase

JaseofBase

Hey guys, have just bought this. I don't have a menu item to create the Asset as directed in the 'about' file :

To use this plugin is very simple, open the Sprite Font Builder window from
    [Window->Vortex Game Studios->SpriteFontBuilder] and click on "Add New Sprite Font".

Doesn't appear for me

Running Unity version 5.6.1f1

24. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

hello, I've tested it right now, download and installed the package in a new project and it's works fine...

try these:
    1-re-install the package.
    2-check if every files was imported with no error.
    3-if nothing works, send a email to us (contatos@vortexstudios.com.br) with a screen from Vortex Game Studios folder.

25. a98flo

a98flo

test.PNG Hey, I have a problem. I want to make a dialoge system with a pixel art font. Everything works find, but if I the text reach the end of the line it doesnt jump to the next, the text just overwrite itself. This looks really ugly. Maybe you can help me and we can find a nice solution for this problem.

26. JaseofBase

JaseofBase

Is this asset still supported? I can no longer import fonts. I get a Null Value error. Haven't changed anything with my workflow. Cheers.