Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] SmartWheel - automatic wheel (tire+rim) generator for cars

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reddotgames, Sep 25, 2012.

1. reddotgames

reddotgames

Available in Asset Store
    SMARTWHEEL
    LINK TO ASSET STORE

SmartWheel lets you create car wheels from scratch in 5 seconds. Just enter size of tire, rim diameter, choose rim model and click one button. Done.

Features :
    - 22 rim models in package (from Modern to Classic rims)
    - Real world size of wheels (matches Unity units)
    - Automatic prefabs update (create one prefab, assign it to cars, change one parameter and all wheels in project will be automatic updated)
    - Textures of brake pads and tires (with Normal Maps)
    - Collider generator
    - Tire offset parameter - lets you create tire that is more wide or narrow than rim.
    - Detailed information of Wheel dimensions ( Rim Diameter, Radius, Tire Size )

$1.JPG $small1.png $3.png $6.png $5.png

Need to post new thread because I cannot change title name in old one :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Djiel

Djiel

This looks pretty interesting. Is it possible to use own made rim models with it? If yes, how much work would it take to make them work correctly?

3. reddotgames

reddotgames

yes of course - you must just model rim in modeling software like blender, 3ds etc and import it to project.

When we will have more request - we can add into package rim example in *.max and *.blend format so everyone will know what exact size of rim to model. I can send rim model example on my dropbox if anyone wanna look.

4. Djiel

Djiel

That would be great.
    I definitely like this, but I would want more and/or other types of rims. (One can never have enough rim types :D )

Keeping an eye on this because I'm pretty sure this will come in handy once I reach a far enough stage for my game.

5. reddotgames

reddotgames

I prepared 4 formats of the same rim (Blender, FBX, 3DS and MAX 2010) so you should open it in any software.
    Notice that you don't need make brake pads if you wanna use it as separate model or you don't need those at all.
    LINK : SmartWheel_RimSampleModel.zip

After editing / making just import new rim model in project (don't need be in SmartWheel directory) and its ready to use. When assigning rim to SmartWheel script - use you custom new rim model :) Simple as that. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  6. Djiel

Djiel

Thank you for your efforts, much appreciated :)
    One last thing, the wheels look pretty detailed. How many tris on them? Any performance hit to be expected?
    I'm not aiming for mobile platforms, but I'd like to know either way.

This may also be something you'd like to include in the description, I know it is important to a lot of people :)

Keep up the nice work!

EDIT: uhh, I kinda asked before checking the sample model :p
    I see that has around 2100. All of them have around this value?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  7. reddotgames

reddotgames

Tris value are from 800 minimum to few models up to 4000. Most of them are ~ 2000 tris.
    Keep in mind that Rim models was made to look good but also to be as low poly as possible (so there is no more tris that model need it).

And another idea come just in my mind - LOD system where wheel in some distance from viewer become just simple bitmap. We will see if this package will have some users - if yes we will prepare it in some next major update.

8. Grizzzli

Grizzzli

Nice! In future update will you add more rims?

9. reddotgames

reddotgames

yes but only if pack will be useful for unity users - right now I don't see much interest in topic :)

10. reddotgames

reddotgames

11. reddotgames

reddotgames

Added Video Preview. Enjoy

12. Djiel

Djiel

Just got this and I really like it, great work.
    I have 1 problem though, that is keeping me from creating a build.

It is generating these errors:
    Assets/SmartWheel/Scripts/TireSize.js(46,80): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'AssetDatabase'.
    Assets/SmartWheel/Scripts/TireSize.js(82,1): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'AssetDatabase'.
    Assets/SmartWheel/Scripts/TireSize.js(84,1): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'AssetDatabase'.
    Assets/SmartWheel/Scripts/TireSize.js(85,1): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'AssetDatabase'.

Did I just miss something? (it's quite late :D )
    Hope you can assist me.

13. reddotgames

reddotgames

Sure - Ive sent fixed tiresize.js on your private message :)

14. Djiel

Djiel

Thank you for the quick fix, it is now working fine! :)

Oh, 1 small suggestion for future updates;
    The brake disc is a great addition, but it is missing this thing right here

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  15. reddotgames

reddotgames

version 1.1 on asset store
    fixed all problems with build and "ingame" settings change.

brake disc - no problem I will work on it when I will have some spare time :)

16. Djiel

Djiel

Thanks, nice work! :)

17. reddotgames

reddotgames

version 1.2 in asset store review

* fixed tire size bug - tires was generated little smaller than in real life - now all will be perfect

18. Djiel

Djiel

That's great to hear :) Was already afraid the scaling of my cars was off :D

On a side note, the updated script from the previous store update gives me the same errors as I've previously reported. At least in my current project (have not tried it in a new project yet. Maybe the existing wheels cause conflicts with the new script?).
    Restoring the script fix you've PMed me, the problems disappear again.
    I am using Unity 3.5.6. if that matters at all.

19. reddotgames

reddotgames

I will look at it again in monday Djiel - did you try to delete both scripts and reimport again from asset store?

20. Djiel

Djiel

I just tried it in a new project; re-downloaded the assets from the store and it's giving me the same errors about "unknown identifier 'AssetDatabase'".

Thanks for looking in to it :)

21. reddotgames

reddotgames

You right - Bug was still there - I reuploaded 1.2.0 into asset store so be 1000% SURE now will be OK :) And sorry for that bug

22. Djiel

Djiel

Hehe, it happens. I'm just glad you're providing support :D
    Awaiting 1.2.0 in the store :)

23. Djiel

Djiel

Not sure what happened, but it seems you created a new bug while fixing the others :p
    Making a wheel now gives me this result:

24. reddotgames

reddotgames

In few hours I will look at it but ... I dont think so :) Did you check on new project?

25. Djiel

Djiel

Yes, I did. Same thing.

26. reddotgames

reddotgames

Ive checked version from asset store (1.2) and all works good here

Can you make small project, create one faulty wheel, pack it and send me link to download (on PM)?

27. Djiel

Djiel

Pm sent.

28. reddotgames

reddotgames

OK I found solution. Unity 4 optimize mesh different so you need turn off tire mesh optimization in smart wheel resources folder.

I will send new Unity4 fixed version on asset store in a bit.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  29. Djiel

Djiel

Had a hunch that Unity4 might be part of it, thanks for the quick support :)

30. reddotgames

reddotgames

New version on Asset Store. All bugs fixed

31. reddotgames

reddotgames

32. fra3point

fra3point

Hi, i downloaded this package yesterday and I'm trying to make it working at runtime in my game... But I have some little big problems... When I change some wheel's values at runtime and then I apply them using the "CreateWheel" function I get a wrong result.
    It seems that the tyre child part of the wheel object grows up every time I call "CreateWheel" even if I don't change any value.
    For example, I have a button doing this actions when clicked:

var tyreSize=GameObject.Find("Wheel1").GetComponent(TireSize);
    tyreSize.width=165;
    tyreSize.CreateWheel();

When I click for the first time everything is ok, the model changes a bit, and I expect that if I click other times the wheel will not change, because it'll always set the same width value (165). But if I click more times I can see the tyre becoming bigger. This happen also if I click UPDATE in the inspector.

I tried to find a solution but it's very complicated. There is a thing I really can't understand in the code: the Resize function with its second parameter, "amount". I'm pretty sure this is the cause of the problem. Can anyone help me? Thank you!

33. reddotgames

reddotgames

OK I will check that! Thanks for pointing this out

34. fra3point

fra3point

Thank you, I'll wait! :)

35. reddotgames

reddotgames

OK I submit new 1.4 version which have runtime generation/runtime param changing - Ive also created sample script and sample scene to illustrate how this can be done :)

5.jpg

Write me your feedback after you will test it (should be in Asset Store in few days)

36. fra3point

fra3point

Thank you very much for this update! I'll check it as soon as possible!

EDIT: I've just tested the 1.4 version and I'm glad to say it's quite perfect! But I have something to show you, a little improvement that coud be good. I've made an example scene and some minor changes in your scripts. How can I send it to you privately?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  37. reddotgames

reddotgames

38. blamejane

blamejane

I'm interested in your SmartWheel generator, however I'm looking for off-road and truck style wheels. Some plain stock-style wheels and classic II's and slots, as well as old wagon style wheels. Do you guys have any plans to add more models/styles? If not, do you support modo files as I use it for 3D modeling. Thanks.

39. blamejane

blamejane

This may seem harsh, but the lack of response doesn't encourage me to purchase from your company. I'm sure you guys are busy developing or updating for the Unity5 release, but what does it take (10 seconds) to type "yes" or "no" at the very least?

40. blamejane

blamejane

I purchased this asset from the unity store and have a problem. I don't know javascript and this is my first unity app, so my skills aren't very good.

To see the problem just open your demo scene and make 4 copies of the runtime generated game object. Then build for IOS and run on mobile. After running for a minute or so the app will get a memory warning and then it will crash.

Please help.

Valerie