Search Unity

[Released] Skyward File Browser - uGUI in-game file browser

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by KuroiRoy, Mar 4, 2015.

1. KuroiRoy

KuroiRoy

Unfortunately I have not been able to find the time to implement any new features for this package and since there are a number of free file browsers on the asset store I have decided to deprecate this package. I have tried my best to help anyone who contacted me on my support email and will continue to do so.
    Thank you for your support.

Skyward Ray is proud to present you:
    The Skyward File Browser v2

Skyward File Browser is a full featured file browser that uses uGUI. It will allow you and your users to browse through files and folders on their computer or an In-Game computer.

Features include:
    - Browsing In-Game computer file systems.
    - Tooltips for too long file names.
    - Resizable window.
    - Saving of recently opened and favorite files and folders.
    - Customize as easy as normal uGUI.
    - Different modes for opening and saving files.
    - Uses uGUI.
    - Works for Windows, Linux, Mac and Android.
    - Works in release builds as well as the editor.

Asset store page:
    http://u3d.as/bVj

Feature requests and criticism welcome here or at my email:

skywardray@gmail.com

Version history

Version 2.0.3
    - Fix: Out of range exception for input field in Unity 5.2

Version 2.0.2
    - Better readme
    - Fix: resizing with different anchors
    - Open button is now disabled when an incorrect amount of entries are selected
    - Home button added to prefabs
    - Desktop button can be added to prefabs but is not by default
    - Callback when closing the browser
    - New setting, restrict selecting output to one entry
    - New setting, allow browsing all file types instead of only the ones given to file browser as extensions
    - New setting, remove file browser game object when browser is closed

Version 2.0.1
    - Fix: Tooltip location is set properly now
    - Fix: Deselect saved location entry after double clicking
    - Fix: Don't add current folder to recent locations after selecting only saved locations as output
    - Fix: Stop reloading file browser panel when adding favorite
    - Fix: Keep scroll position when creating new folder and deleting selection
    - Fix: Remove scrollbar after resizing if all items are visible

Version 2.0.0
    - The file browser now uses components to make it work better with the Unity UI and make it more easily customizable
    - Select and output multiple files and/or folders
    - Tooltips for file names that don't fit in the window
    - Open the file browser in an existing canvas
    - Fake file system for in-game computers
    - JSON importer for the fake file system
    - Offscreen entries are disabled to fix an issue where folders with many entries with long names would exceed the vertex limit on the UI canvas
    - Saved locations are now stored in the PlayerPrefs by default
    - Output method now uses Action instead of Func since no return value is necessary for the output method
    - Loading animation when loading large folders with thread
    - Fixed pasting paths on windows
    - Extensions no longer case sensitive
    - ctrl+A (cmd+A on mac) to select all entries
    - Back and Forward mapped to mouse buttons

Version 1.0.1
    - Multiple extensions can now be set and the user can select one or all extensions from a dropdown menu
    - Changed OpenFolder() to OpenFile()
    - SaveLocations changed to SaveSettings. Setting a path will now set the file browser to automatically save the settings file when appropriate. Can be disabled with a setting
    - Fix: Window resize no longer makes the window disappear
    - Fix: Selecting a favorites entry no longer selects recent entries with the same name

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  2. jmcclure

jmcclure

As I understand it, Unity is capable of file browsing on mobile devices within the bounds of the application security for the devices (i.e. Application.persistentDataPath). I'm specifically hoping for Android support, which probably has the most relaxed application security concerning file access.

Do you have any support for mobile platforms?

3. KuroiRoy

KuroiRoy

I've just tested it for you and it does work for Android. I'm also working on a big update that allows more customization in the file browser interface, which will be very helpful on Android. I'll also test for android in the future.

I can't test for IOS unfortunately because I don't have a mac

4. KuroiRoy

KuroiRoy

The new version took quite a bit of work, but after about 2 months it's finally released. The new version has a lot of new features as well as fixing a lot of bugs and annoyances. The thing I'm most pleased with:

A fake file system has been added, allowing developers to have a file system for their in-game computers as well as faking a file system when no real file system is available, such as in the web player.

5. Ox_

Ox_

Hi!
    Thank you for this asset, the browser works great overall but it's hard to make it customized because of tightly coupled prefab. Maybe you could rework it a bit in future versions.

And please add DestroyWindow option, I do not want to cache the file browser because of my modal window behaviour.

6. 8iVR

8iVR

Have been using this for a few months and it's been great.

Today we moved to Unity5.2 and it no longer appears to populate the windows with contents. The image below is from the Overlay example scene.

upload_2015-9-9_11-36-2.png

7. KuroiRoy

KuroiRoy

Unity says they are releasing a patch for the scroll rect that should resolve this issue. I've been trying to get it to work anyways and even the work around they give doesn't seem to do it so I'm hoping the patch will fix it.

8. KuroiRoy

KuroiRoy

A new version of Unity has been released, 5.2.1f1 that resolves the issues with the previous version

9. GrumpyFour

GrumpyFour

Thanks for your hard work on this package. I'm hoping you can help me get it working.

I'd like to implement a file browser in my VR project. I'm using the assets that Oculus has made available here:

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/unitys-ui-system-in-vr/

Basically, you highlight UI elements with a cursor in the center of your field of view, and then activate them with a keypress or other action specified in the editor. I'm using keypad-enter.

The problem seems to be that there is nothing corresponding to a double mouse click in this setup, which your asset requires for opening directories and files. I can highlight and press buttons on the file browser (home, up, etc.). And I can highlight items in the directory window: volumes, folders, and files. And it looks like the file browser is accepting button presses on those items-- the highlight color changes as if accepting a keypress. But the actions don't follow-- clicking on a volume doesn't show the contents of the volume, etc. And clicking on a file does not print the path of that file (I am using your In Game Example script to get started).

On a non-VR project, I note that you can select a directory item with a single click, and then click on the 'Open' button to open the item. This doesn't work on my setup-- a single click doesn't select the item, and moving the cursor off the item un-highlights it.

I'm currently digging through the scripts in your project trying to figure out whether I can require just a single click to open directory items.

Hoping you can help. Thanks!