Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Sci-Fi Female: Morph Character Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Jun 19, 2015.

1. berk-maketafi

berk-maketafi

Yeah Whippets, it's logging your votes as you go (you do need to be connected to the internet though). Thanks for going through them, by the way!

2. berk-maketafi

berk-maketafi

Yeah, Shawn is right, there are a TON of morphs to consider and an app is the best way we could think of to view them. If you take a moment to look at it, you'll see that the app shows you the name of the morph as well as what it effect it actually has. The morph sort of ping pongs back and forth from on to off and then you can assign it a value if you like it or dislike it.

3. Whippets

Whippets

That was a great morph voter, some really cool ones in there, especially the full face, emote, and partial body morphs, just what's needed for an mmorpg. A good variety of pbr skin textures/maps with multiple overlays would top this off nicely.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    berk-maketafi likes this.
  4. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I got to thinking about this last night.. Why is the demo genre specific? Why couldn't it include different outfits from different genres? Instead of several sci fi outfits, why not have one scifi, one fantasy, one modern, one combat, etc? that more people would be apt to test with it

RJJ and berk-maketafi like this.
  5. Whippets

Whippets

I think content is irrelevant at this stage, it's mechanics that's important. If we can get the mechanics that we need, content can come later, as can males, monsters, tails, horns, etc.

6. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

True.. But some people wont even test the mechanics until they see that there is content that fits their genre.

7. EDarkness

EDarkness

I went ahead and voted. There were a ton of different morphs. Some I thought were the same thing on a different body, but I hope at the end of the day we get some quality stuff. I was happy to see all of the facial expressions. Not sure how they'll work in my game, but options are good. With the sheer number of facial morphs we'd be able to have our characters blink. That would be cool.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I tried to be flexible about what I voted for since some things I don't need personally, but maybe someone else would. Hope this means we'll get a new update soon.

8. Whippets

Whippets

Can't wait to see what we get from that list. Want to start with my race generation, and character creation pages XD

9. Whippets

Whippets

I notice that a number of the morphs seem to be geared towards changing from female to male - is this really the case, and are the different genders to be based off a single model?

10. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I would like more detailled normal maps for wrinkles.
    If we only use 20-year-old-model textures, our games will look boring.
    We need some wrinkles and their normal maps.
    All epic characters have wrinkles.

Whippets likes this.
  11. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

ps: I have taken a look at the voting app, but I don't understand it, sorry. Something turns grey, something turns white, no further explanation, no action at pressing the "0 Vote Value" button.
    I think most of us here on this thread know DAZ and morphs, so there is no need to create an app, but forum replies will do.
    And I would assume we all know UMA and Mixamo Fuse, so we would be able to really tell you want we want.
    Personally I like DAZ best, and I am excited to see that DAZ made porting the characters a little easier and also takes care of the normal maps.
    I think if you could just take the advice that epic characters need realistic wrinkles, you would already be ahead of all of your competitors.

See this?

Thanks for the LODs (we need more options, however) and congrats about the hair. This is really something that I have always been missing. More hair models, please!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Whippets likes this.
  12. Whippets

Whippets

in the voting app, each morph is show in a ping-pong with the base mesh. The areas that are white have no changes with the current morph, the areas that are grey do change.

Click and slide over the voting area to go between -10 (dont want at all) and +10 (want badly) with 0 being "meh"

Every voting change you make is logged immediately, so you don't have to go through it all at once. There are 4 sections: full head morphs, partial head morphs, full body morphs, and partial body morphs.

Hope that helps a bit :)

13. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Sorry, being really focussed on what I need to do, I blacked-out at the word "ping-pong". :)

14. EDarkness

EDarkness

I think the voting app does a good job of showing the morphs, what they do, and how important that is to us. There are hundreds of them and had I not messed around with the app I wouldn't know what any of that was. So it's a good way to let them know what morphs are best for you. If you don't care, then simply leave it 0. I tried to think about things other players might want and keep those 0 since they wouldn't affect me at all. Though, I did do negatives for all "big head" morphs. I have no need for them and I imagine a small group would want them as well.

I do know DAZ, but I don't know it well enough to make a whole lot of comments. I wanted to use it when I first started my project and fiddled with the app a couple of years ago, but I found it hard to get the character into my game, so I gave up. This system they are working on now fits my needs quite well, and I hope they get it refined into something awesome.

15. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I have tried the app once again, but I still don't understand it. I wanted to vote but I was not able to.
    I am not a rocket scientist.

16. Whippets

Whippets

When you get to the morph voting page, it should look like the picture below. Here's how it works:-

Image13.jpg

1. The part of the avatar you want to zoom in on (Home means zoom out to show the full avatar).

2. Click to toggle the avatar's mouth open or closed (helpful when viewing morphs related to teeth).

3. Click and drag over this area to rotate the avatar to see all aspects of the current morph.

4. The morphs are split into 4 categories: Full head morphs, partial head morphs, full body morphs, partial body morphs.

5. Use the Previous and Next buttons to scroll through the morphs in the current category (see 4.)

6. Click and drag over this area to upvote or downvote the current morph, between -10 (don't want it) and +10 (yes please).

7. The name of the current morph, and it's number. 1/77 means the first morph of 77 morphs.

The avatar will change from the basic shape to the morphed shape in a yoyo fashion, so you can see all aspects of the morph. Areas of the avatar that stay white are unchanged by the current morph.

Hope that helps :)

chelnok likes this.
  17. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  18. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

The morphs are not so important right now, I think.They can be added later on demand.
    The most important question is whether the morphs will affect normal maps.
    Can anyone who understands my needs join in?

19. hopeful

hopeful

@Morph 3D - Any idea of when there might be another release ... something new or an update?

RJJ and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  20. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

@hermie Morphs for this model, just like blendshapes with other models, will not directly affect normal maps. In other words, the normal map textures will remain the same. Only the geometry is modified by the morphs.

OfficialHermie likes this.
  21. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

About the normals: That would then be the work of people who customize and sell their customizations, right?

22. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Potentially. What you're asking for is typically accomplished with shader manipulation, rather than morphs or blendshapes. Probably the most straightforward method would be to have aged detail normal maps that you layer over the base normal map in your skin/body shader.

It's certainly possible that Morph3D will incorporate detail normal maps in their shaders in the future, and that would be my preference. Even if you develop a shader on your own to accommodate a detail normal map for age lines, you will still need to create that detail map by hand, and that's not a trivial task. It would be much easier if Morph3D provided those extra normals for us.

23. Kaliadder

Kaliadder

I'm having similar issues. Is there an update or answer to this? Looking at the reviews in the Asset store this looks to be a somewhat common issue. For all I know I'm probably missing something small. According to Morph3D's demo video on YouTube, it looks like all I have to do is drag-and-drop the prefab into my scene and it should work fine. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that for me.

Upon import, there are multiple "The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!" errors in the console. The prefab drops in fine and I can edit her, but when I press the Play button, she drops down into the floor, gets a weird expression on her face, arms in a weird position, and doesn't move. Yes, I know she's not going to move without me writing a script for her. However, in the video she is animating while been adjusted (Unity is in Play mode). For me, I put Unity into Play mode, but she's in the middle of the floor and stone still.

Again, maybe the problem is between the chair and keyboard. That's been known to happen :p Any suggestions, help, whatever would be much appreciated. ;)

screenshot-186.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  24. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Any updates on this project? When I got the email notification of Kaliadder's post it made me realize I haven't received any notifications and looking, it appears the dev hasn't posted since July.. Would be nice to see some progress being made or at least get some updates.

25. EDarkness

EDarkness

I thought an update was coming a couple of months ago. It's already close to October and still haven't heard anything. Maybe they're just really busy....

26. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

iClone seems to be on the same track now, and they use special wrinkle normal maps that you can use if you want to. That is of course a really cool solution for the problem.

27. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I found one more flaw: I can see through the belly of the character. :)

28. hopeful

hopeful

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, Morph 3D has some new assets in the store.

29. Acissathar

Acissathar

This sound really helpful, but without any real documentation or images I'm unsure if I want to drop $50 just to find out how "easy" it is.

30. hopeful

hopeful

Try the Sci-Fi Bundle? I think this may be a new version of the older package.

Acissathar likes this.
  31. Acissathar

Acissathar

That looks to just be extra gear, but the Female Lite has the prop system listed and it is free so I'll give that a shot.

32. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Where should we report bugs? The system works, is easier than before but uses 3mb garbage and 20ms execution time per character per frame.

33. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

The chest bones point in the wrong direction.
    There are some rigging problems as well:

And again: Can we please get wrinkle normal maps that we can use if we want to?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  34. hopeful

hopeful

35. berk-maketafi

berk-maketafi

Hey everyone, I imagine you've already figured this out by now but our latest release/update (and it was a big one) is now live. We really appreciated your patience and input leading up to this big release.

Thanks @hopeful for sharing the link to the Morph Character System thread. Anyone that's been following us, that link is a great place to get started. Cheers!

36. GXMark

GXMark

Hello Morph3D

I am now the proud owner of the MCS Female which looks very exciting what can be achieved so far. I have been interested in DAZ 3D technology for along time for usage in gaming as it has such a successful content community which I hope becomes part of the gaming audience as well. I have been reading the forum thread carefully and its very dynamic with a lot of energy being thrown around with a HUGE WISH LIST !!!

I can really understand Morph3D throttling this list slowly to ensure their is a right direction and quality can be maintained in the product. I would like to add my own aspirations to be considered for the coming 2016 :-

1. I would like to see a few more levels of LOD that extend the genesis 2 polygon range up to about 30K polygons. The reason is to ensure that users who want to have very detailed characters can use it. Now I realize it will affect the speed of the morphing and runtime stuff but this is ok if its made very clear the reason why.

2. I think the big winner for this product is getting the content creators/builders to adopt the MCS character for their designs and own business aspirations. To achieve this a) either sell / subscribe to the tools or b) offer them for free. DAZ3D has opened its DAZ 3D Pro product for free to content creators which I believe was a massive success. Going down path a) is more risky as it would be similar to what SpeedTree does with its designer tool. I guess as long as the costs are kept in the reach of indie's then it may work well. I really hope whatever strategy is chosen that its not tiered and complex which just does not make sense. After all lets get creating beautiful content for this system, right? If choosing between smaller quality content under subscription or an explosion of varying quality I would pick the explosion every time.

3. Is the DAZ3D product going to be like a designers fitting room for preparing content for MCS avatars ? It does feel like a win-win strategy because designers already use DAZ 3D and it would keep them on board seamlessly without new learning technology curves. Perhaps extending the DAZ 3D product with a MCS plugin to export the content into a pack format ready for import into unity.

4. Texturing/Skinning/Overlaying and good realistic skin shading technology is vital for quality appearances of this character so i'm hoping that this remains high up on the development. Some thought should be given to other vendors offering good quality skin shader's such as Alloy for a proper competitive analysis.

5. The poke through curse needs to be taken care of as there is nothing more annoying than seeing this in todays technology. It cheapens the product instantly when this happens. This without doubt is far more important than hair and cloth dynamics. Lets get the fundamentals working well and worry about the fruit later.

And please answer questions which are more difficult to answer from people in this community that have a passionate interest to see this product become a real success. I noticed a very selective answering session going on. It's ok to not have an answer ! Character development is a hard science as us indie's are already aware.

I'm looking forward to this adventure with Morph 3D.

Mark

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  37. Muralidaran

Muralidaran

Hey guys. I am suffering from some major "tearing" Any idea what that's about.

SevereTearing.png

38. hopeful

hopeful