Search Unity

[RELEASED] RPG Map Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Nov 6, 2014.

1. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Hmm, I did add a rigidbody. I guess my problem is I'm not adding it to the right one.

Should I be adding it to the Player in the Hierarchy, sprite or the prefab?[/QUOTE]

2. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

When will the next update be? With the layers.

3. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

[/QUOTE]
    I always add it to the parent object with the script checking for collisions attached to this object as well.

ZenParalysis likes this.
  4. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yesterday I finished with layer support. It's working with all systems.
    All I need to finish with this is test it a little, update the manual, and it's done.
    I hope it will be available next week, after Unity validates the update.
    Now you will be able to add all layers you want, reorder layers, change the render layer, and define if the layer has collisions or not.
    All this keeping the old brush functionality by enabling smart brush as you wish or manually drawing on the selected layer.

5. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Thanks for the info.

6. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Anyone know why the mobs would start heading north... i just redid my map.. and the mobs spawns just goes straight north

7. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Nvm on the mobs just going north. I just reimported everything and started from scratch.

Still struggling to have it detect collision with player. I swear I got it to work once.... #%*&#%

8. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Lol, i tossed my script on every moving thing and it works... time to start isolating.

9. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Ok. I found MY problem. I can get the player to detect collision with prefabs that I drop onto the map myself but not the one's that are randomly generated. Time to do more testing... and figure out why.

10. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Hmmm turns out it's the actual sprite that needs the rigidbody, colliderbox, and script. I'll see if i can get the randomly generated ones to work.

11. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Yep got it working. You need to add rigidbody, colliderbox->isTrigger, and script on the sprite of the prefabs and not the top prefab. However, the Player Object needs the rigidbody, collider box and not it's sprite.

Leaving this here in case anyone runs into this challenge like I did. Love this asset.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  12. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Question :

Which script and variable is used to adjust the rate of fire.

13. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

I don't know if it's the correct answer , but should be PlayerController.cs

Code (CSharp):
    1.         void CreateBullet( Vector3 vPos, Vector3 vDir )
    2.         {
    3.             GameFactory.CreateBullet( gameObject, BulletPrefab, vPos, vDir, 4f );
    4.         }
    You should change 4f to a bigger or lower number.
    Hope this can help.

P.S. Probably later he will isolate the things like weapon system and chara system in different script, like a modular thing in partial class or different class to make it cleaner :D.
    Actually in BulletController there is a Speed parameter but is not related to the bullet Speed (or can't change the real speed in game actually).

P.S. Sorry , my bad probably is the bullet speed not the fire rate XD.
    For the fire rate I don't know if he implemented this, but I tried to implement it in 2 second (should work).

Make a backup of PlayerController.cs .
    Add this in PlayerController.cs , you will have a cooldown different for any side , add this after "public SpriteRenderer WeaponSprite;" I set 2 second for any side, you can change it :

Code (CSharp):
    1.         public float bulletCoolDown = 0f;
    2.         public float timeToWaitBulletCoolDownU = 2f;
    3.         public float timeToWaitBulletCoolDownD = 2f;
    4.         public float timeToWaitBulletCoolDownL = 2f;
    5.         public float timeToWaitBulletCoolDownR = 2f;
    Next overwrite DoInputs() whit this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. void DoInputs()
    2.         {
    4.             if(bulletCoolDown <= 0){
    6.             Vector3 vBulletDir = Vector3.zero;
    7.             Vector3 vBulletPos = Vector3.zero;
    9.             if( Input.GetKeyDown( "j" ) ) //down
    10.             {
    11.                 vBulletPos = new Vector3( -0.08f, -0.02f, 0f );
    12.                 vBulletPos += transform.position;
    13.                 vBulletDir = Vector3.down;
    14.                 m_animCtrl.CurrentDir = CharAnimationController.eDir.DOWN;
    15.                 m_timerBlockDir = TimerBlockDirSet;
    16.                     bulletCoolDown = timeToWaitBulletCoolDownD;
    18.                 }
    19.             else if( Input.GetKeyDown( "h" ) ) // left
    20.             {
    21.                 vBulletPos = new Vector3( -0.10f, 0.10f, 0f );
    22.                 vBulletPos += transform.position;
    23.                 vBulletDir = -Vector3.right;
    24.                 m_animCtrl.CurrentDir = CharAnimationController.eDir.LEFT;
    25.                 m_timerBlockDir = TimerBlockDirSet;
    26.                     bulletCoolDown = timeToWaitBulletCoolDownL;
    28.                 }
    29.             else if( Input.GetKeyDown( "k" ) ) // right
    30.             {
    31.                 vBulletPos = new Vector3( 0.10f, 0.10f, 0f );
    32.                 vBulletPos += transform.position;
    33.                 vBulletDir = Vector3.right;
    34.                 m_animCtrl.CurrentDir = CharAnimationController.eDir.RIGHT;
    35.                 m_timerBlockDir = TimerBlockDirSet;
    36.                     bulletCoolDown = timeToWaitBulletCoolDownR;
    38.                 }
    39.             else if( Input.GetKeyDown( "u" ) ) // up
    40.             {
    41.                 vBulletPos = new Vector3( 0.08f, 0.32f, 0f );
    42.                 vBulletPos += transform.position;
    43.                 vBulletDir = -Vector3.down;
    44.                 m_animCtrl.CurrentDir = CharAnimationController.eDir.UP;
    45.                 m_timerBlockDir = TimerBlockDirSet;
    46.                     bulletCoolDown = timeToWaitBulletCoolDownU;
    48.                 }
    50.             if( vBulletDir != Vector3.zero )
    51.             {
    52.                 float fRand = Random.Range(-1f, 1f);
    53.                 fRand = Mathf.Pow(fRand, 5f);
    54.                 vBulletDir = Quaternion.AngleAxis(BulletAngDispersion*fRand, Vector3.forward) * vBulletDir;
    55.                 CreateBullet( vBulletPos, vBulletDir);
    56.             }
    59.             }
    61.             if(bulletCoolDown > 0f){
    62.             bulletCoolDown = bulletCoolDown - 1 * (Time.deltaTime);
    63.             //Debug.Log (bulletCoolDown);
    64.             }
    67.         }

After you can change the timeToWaitBulletCoolDown// for any different kind of weapon, just changing it using the scripting language. Normally he use as default 0.1 , I put 2 sec just to show you.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    CreativeSpore likes this.
  14. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hey Peaceful man,

Thanks for your commentaries despite you edit your post and removed them :)

Anyway, there will be always things missing by Unity I can integrate in my editor and add features not included by default.

15. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Hey thanks for the response guys. Yea, I assumed there was a rate of fire script somewhere because the bullets had a uniformed fire rate.. I'm going to assume Unity sets a cap on what happens per key down.

Thanks for the hard work ><

16. khjunxx

khjunxx

I notice on your video of how to create a multi tileset but about 9 of the tilesets are not included, they are slightly different than the previous 9 that are included. This is the video

Around 1:00 minute you start uploading assets that aren't in the asset store that you gave to us. tilea1, tilea2, tilea3, tilea4, tilea5, and also tileb, tilec, tiled, tilee

I keep looking for them, are these not included in the download? and are they necessary if they aren't?

17. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    They are used only for the video and they are not necessary for the asset and they are not included.
    But you can download them here if you want.
    https://vxresource.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/first-set-of-mapz/

khjunxx likes this.
  18. Alexarah

Alexarah

What's up CreativeSpore it's been awhile. I have a question I'm quite lost here on how to make an action rpg with RPG Map Editor or something like that. I've seen yet another awesome script for RPG Maker Ace made by a developer called Mog Hunter. The name of this battle system is LMBS

If you don't get what I'm asking is that is RPG Map Editor even capable of doing some of the things Ace can do because as you can see Ace can do things that RPG Map Editor should be able to do since it's a game toolkit for Unity. All and all if it's not possible to use RPG Map Editor for things like that even with it being a Unity game toolkit then my overall question is that what is RPG Map Editor meant to do other than make RPG Maker Ace maps? Please I really want to use this toolkit I just need to able to add some form of action elements!

19. digitalzombie

digitalzombie

How are we looking on this update? Thanks.

20. khjunxx

khjunxx

Will this work with the ORK Framework asset?

21. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Alexarah,
    You can do a lot of stuff with this asset, of course not as much as with RPG Maker Ace, because I am a single person, but good thing is, I am improving the asset since it was published so with time, it could be possible to add some sort of event system.
    But I prefer working first in improving the map features because I prefer to focus on this until it's great better than working in multiple things barely polished.
    Anyway, you can do more things than just maps, as there are some extra features like:
    - Vehicles
    - Map Path Finding
    - Characters
    And I will eventually improve those systems as well when I have time.

22. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    It's going well.
    I have it integrated with the editor and I only need to integrate it as well during play edition.
    I have been more busy than usual during previous week, but I hope to finish this during this weekend.

khjunxx likes this.
  23. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I don't know. I didn't try ORK with my asset, but maybe someone else who tried it could answer you this question.

24. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

I think ORK is much more oriented on 3D, but should also work perfect in 2D , maybe you could try the free version on the official site (if work or not for you and your project):
    http://orkframework.com/
    Personally I tesed it and I found so many problem that at the end I started producing my inventory system/status system/etc...
    Maybe one day I'll finish my system and I'll release it for free , or someone much more skilled than me will relase his inventory system before me like the perfect dialogue system open source fungus .

I think you should first try it (the free version) and I think you should also adapt ork to the 2D map to make it work (but should work)

What have rpg maker ace and what you should have to create an rpg game:
    -map system (current status of CreativeSpore map editor)
    -dialogue system ( I suggest you fungus , I tested it and work better than the dialogue system in rpg maker, pobably he have also a camera system for cinematic, but I don't remember)
    http://fungusgames.com/
    -event system
    -status system
    -battle system
    -inventory system
    -script system (we have the C# of unity , for me 1000 time better than ruby)

The Ork kit should have all the content above but for me was hard to make it work, but there are a lot of people happy about this kit.
    I told you so my experience , the facts and what I hear from others .

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    khjunxx and CreativeSpore like this.
  25. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

I'm using fungus and it works well with this asset.

26. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

Yep, work very well, it's much more better than more commercial dialogue system ( I tested different one before fungus ).
    Anyway I'm thinking one thing: if could be useful to create a community around this asset, to share knowledges (scripts , tiles , musics , infos about open souce assets well integrate , etc ...) to boost the creation of this kind of games.
    So that we can rapidly move towards the creation of the story of the real games , this probably will be also good for the asset itself If people will be able to find a complete experience around this asset.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  27. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I like your idea. I didn't have time yet, but I was thinking about having a forum or something like that.
    I will investigate this, like having a wiki and a forum to make it easier to find solutions or ideas for the asset and allow more people to participate.

khjunxx likes this.
  28. Foose

Foose

Hey Sir, first of all. You really did a great job on this asset and I am more than willing to buy it, if you can answer me one question. I am planing to do an Ice Path map like in the old pokemon games. So if you are entering an Ice tile, your character will just slide until it collides or is off the ice path. While on the Ice tile you cannot simply walk off of course. Is this possible to achieve without any major coding? I am an absolut beginner. Just worked with an RPG Maker a couple years back.

cheers

Edit: Or elsewhise it would be really awesome to add just another element one can input on the ice tile. Like you did with fences. And if they players reaches an Ice tile....see above.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  29. khjunxx

khjunxx

Yes this is a great idea!

30. ryanflees

ryanflees

Here are some question I have.

how to delete a overlayed layer without deleting the ground layer?

how to place an asset without aligning the grid, like a pole next to a building. With the current ability, there is a gap between them.

I didn't go through this too much, but , can I pin portals or trigger on the map like if you walk near a door you will be transformed to another map inside the house ?

And what about the performance on mobile device?

31. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Anyone know if controls work by default on mobile devices?

Trying to figure out which method would be best to convert the wasd/cursor keys to
    mobile friendly movements.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  32. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

This is not complicated to achieved. Just modify the CharBasicController.Update (). Try changing the 2f values for other values and see what happens.
    Then use RPGMapHelper.GetTileIdxByPosition using the player position to get the tile id where the player is, and use different values according to the tile id.

33. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

- In the next update, using layers, you will be able to draw over an specific layer. Right now you have to copy a ground tile without overlay and overwrite the tiles with overlay tiles.
    - To place an asset without alignment, create an sprite using the tileset atlas and create the sprite of the pool and place it over the map attaching the IsoSpriteController
    - Map transitions are not implemented yet but I would like to add them soon.

ryanflees likes this.
  34. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

If it helps you, you can use the PlayerTouch prefab.
    It's a modification of the player controller to move the player to the last pressed position in the map using path finding.

Peaceful-man likes this.
  35. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

You made a good thing implementing this , since slowly more game are moving to the mobile area.
    The best implementation ( for me ) of an 2D RPG game that work perfectly on an android is the game "machine knight" , it's free on the google store if you want to try :). I'm just talking about the technical part (coding the interaction , menu , etc... ) , didn't played too much to talk about the story :).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  36. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks for telling me about this game. I have downloaded it and it looks interesting.

37. Exodish

Exodish

Hello,
    im trying to use an animation controller for my weapon animation. But the animation will not happen. Its a simple sprite animation for every direction. Its a gameobject part of the player prefab.

My gameobject have these components:
    • Sprite Renderer
    • Animator
    • Box Collider

Im also using your sample scripts and unity 5. Maybe in combination with those the animator will not work?

38. SiliconAvatar

SiliconAvatar

Nice. I left to watch 20 or 30 hours of Unity C# tutorial and came back to see what appears to be a much improved method for handling layers. Looking forward to checking this out.

39. teru0528

teru0528

CreativeSpore Hello! Thank you for the great asset!

Please allowed to check one.
    I purchased to hear that operates in the mobile.
    We are using the latest Ver1.23 of AutoTileMap.

However, does not smooth map scrolling heavy very operation and to animate.
    And, more of the problems continues memory increases at the time of execution, garbage collection will frequently occur, I think tough to run on mobile.
    This is similar to when you stop the animation.

Would you have any measures?

40. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Any idea when the next release will be?

41. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Exodish,
    I am not sure what could be happening. If you can send me a test project I could have a look into it and see what could be happening.

42. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I fixed something related with memory in previous updates, but maybe there is something new with the same problem.
    I will check this as soon as possible and try to find the issue.

43. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Probably this week, but it depends on when the update is approved by Unity.

44. teru0528

teru0528

Thank you for confirmation immediately.
    We expect it to be as soon as possible fix.
    Very survives when it is improved.

45. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

46. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I have submitted the update for version 5.1.0
    Maybe you are using 5.0.0 version of Unity

47. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

New version 1.2.4 available now!
    • With support for multiple layers and custom tile drawing by layer
    • New option to show a tile grid in editor
    • Improved drawing performance
    • Improved enemy path finding movement
    • And other minor improvements
    For Unity 4.6.3 & 5.1.0

48. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    I found the problem and it will be fixed for next release.
    Meanwhile, add the two extra lines in the method AutoTileMap.LoadMap:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. MapData.Data.LoadToMap( this );
    3. m_tileChunkPoolNode.UpdateChunks();
    4. //+++free unused resources
    5. Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets();
    6. System.GC.Collect();
    7. //---
    If you have any problem send me an email and I will send you the updated file.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  49. ryanflees

ryanflees

Another issue.
    I transit from one scene to another.
    The second scene's map data overwrite the previous scene' map data (file overwrited).
    And I can't disable the AutoTileMap object otherwise it gives a lot errors at run-time.
    It's very dangerous to switch scene it may destroy what u have built if u didn't back up.
    There's no way I can make progress now is there a way to turn off the tilemap-write-data function?

50. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Disable the option Save Changes After Playing in AutoTileMap settings tab to avoid this issue.

ryanflees likes this.