Search Unity

[RELEASED] Realistic Water Physics - V 2.2 .1 (More asset supported!)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by imtehQ, Jul 31, 2016.

1. imtehQ

imtehQ

Current version 2.2.1

A buoyancy system to make objects float on water and air.

With a easy-to-use interface, Everyone can make Objects float in water.

You can use the build-in water plane or unity default water planes,
    But we recommand you use one of the supported assets to act as water.

Supported assets: (More coming soon!)
    Ceto: Ocean System
    PlayWay Water System
    AQUAS Water/River Set

A small trailer.

A small trailer with Ceto: ocean system support enabled.

A small trailer with PlayWay Water System support enabled

Features
    • - Low performance impact.
    • - No extra Layer or Tags required.
    • - Can use joints to link objects together.
    • - 93 Real material types.
    • - No need to set the density.
    • - Easy to use interface, no need to drag with scripts.
    • - Simple / Advanced options
    • - Will not set velocity of objects, but will use force.
    • - Can use any Mesh & Colliders
    • - Allow runtime edits.
    • - Easy to add more materials with a bit of code.
    • - Support Ceto: Ocean System
    • - Support PlayWay Water System
    • - Support AQUAS Water LITE
    • - Support AQUAS Water/River Set
    • - Support Dynamic Water System

The system works by calculating the density of object by material type.
    We have included the following real materials to this asset for you to use:

55 Solid materials - 17 fluid materials - 22 Gas Materials

(Note: those are not Physic Materials)

based on the selected material, volume and mesh of the object, the system will calculate its mass and density for you.

As this may be a bit overwhelming for some users we have added a easy to use setup window.

Allowing you to make any gameobject float after just a few clicks

The water setup is small and by default ready to go!

No need to think about density or mass of your gameobjects any more.
    Everything will be calculated for you!

A small demo how to use the RealisticWaterPhysics V2.0+

Asset store link:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/67637

Web Demo link:
    Here

Manual:
    Here

Support website:
    RealisticPhysics.com

Plans for version 2.3:

- Realistic Water Asset support.
    - SUIMONO interactive water support.
    - Option to use 2 or more assets at the same time.
    - New interface for setup and game management.
    - Option to automaticity calculate the percentage solid.
    - Better way to create new materials yourself.
    - Water areas, Use different water levels trough out the scene.

Plans for version 2.4+:
    - Automatic detection of volume of gameobject, to calculate the correct amount of material.
    - Sub material type such as wood / steel
    - Combined gameobjects calculations.
    - Water current support for AQUAS Water/River Set
    - More support for other systems
    - option to setup trough code to, allowing users to create new objects on the fly without using the interface.

Feel free to ask questions, ideas how to improve or complains are all welcome!

If you want Realistic Water Physics to support another asset, Let us know in the forum and we will put it on the to-do list.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  2. Karearea

Karearea

Hi,

First up, thanks for a well-designed package. I'm working on a flight simulation, and it's great to use a physical basis for material densities.

My use case consists of modular amphibious aircraft, assembled from parts that are combined with fixed joints. For numerous reasons, colliders and meshRenderers are located in different child objects of each part. To this end it would be useful to be able to specifiy, in the component, the rigidbody to use, or at least have public access to it. Likewise for the mesh collider to generate the voxel solution from. If setup tests that the variables are not null, it goes with those that you've set.

I noticed that in the test scene, the RealisticBuoyancy script creates a lot of GCAllocations. Running with a Ceto object, and no other modifications, I see about 13.1kb per frame in GC for RealisticBuoyancy.FixedUpdate.

I cached the rigidbody as a public variable in setup (see above) instead of getting it each time it's used, swapped out the ForEach loop to a For loop, and commented out line 334:
    forces.Add(new[] { wp, force }); // For drawing force gizmos

which got total GCAllocations for RealisticBuoyancy.FixedUpdate in that same scene down to about 3kb.

Finally, it would be great to have a supplementary Buoyancy script, that simply applies a buoyant force at a given point without worrying about complex voxel calculations. I'm thinking specifically of outrigger floats on aircraft to prevent the wing digging in- they wouldn't need to work as realistically, instead they could be fudged to just correct the balance if a wing touches the water. That way the hull of the aircraft can have the nice convincing physics with simple points out on the outrigger floats.

imtehQ likes this.
  3. imtehQ

imtehQ

I dont fully understand what you mean with to specifiy, can you explane?

I did not know i could improve the speed, thanks i will fixs that.

I will look into a way to make easy float points

4. BlueBudgie1

BlueBudgie1

Can you show some videos of it working? With high waves and dropping objects dropping in from height maybe.

5. imtehQ

imtehQ

I will do that with version 1.2, that version will change how the interface will work.

6. Karearea

Karearea

Hi, nothing complex, I just meant have them as public variables so the user can plug in the correct rigidbody and mesh collider to use for calculations. As you weren't caching the rigidbody yet, I thought you could let the user set it explicitly this way, and if this isn't done, try and find it.

Of course that would mean not enforcing components on the same game object as the script.

Cheers!

7. imtehQ

imtehQ

i have changed that in version 1.2 that im working on.
    By default it will check for a mesh filter, if not found it will look for a collider of any type, if that to is not found it will break;

There will be a advanced option to allow users to select another gameobject for the mesh filter and collider, that way you can have a empty gameobject with a riggedbody that is linked to other objects and float it as a intire object.
    But im still working on getting that last part to work with the existing interface.

I also improved the RealisticBouyancy script, with some of your tips, and got it down to about this:

Karearea likes this.
  8. Karearea

Karearea

Excellent! Thank you for the response.

9. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Looks great, do you have any web demo showing say a boat which can be driven?

10. imtehQ

imtehQ

Im currently working on the new version and it will include a better demo, i will also make a web demo and a few videos for it, as for now its just a small included demo and the few scheenshots.

11. imtehQ

imtehQ

Version 1.2 will add the option to make the object material type a Solid, Gas, or Liquid.
    It will be hidden in the advanced options, but will allow you to make a Boat act like its made out of beer ;)

12. Karearea

Karearea

Ale or Stout?..

13. imtehQ

imtehQ

Its a mix of many types

In the next version it will be easier to have Ragdolls floating

This is underwater.

And this is above.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  14. imtehQ

imtehQ

we have updated the support website so the manual for version 1.0 & 1.1 can still be found.
    And we have make it ready for the version 2.0 update that coming soon, just waiting for it to get approved ;)

support website: http://www.realisticphysics.com/

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Karearea likes this.
  15. imtehQ

imtehQ

Realistic Water Physics V2.0 is out!

New code, new options, better interface and much more!
    Full change log below:
    [General]
    (+) Contains 16 Liquid Materials.
    (+) Contains 22 Gas Materials.
    (+) Contains 55 Solid Materials.
    (+) All changes in the windows at runtime will now be saved if you stop runtime.
    (+) All changes in the window to a object will now we instantly applyed, but not saved after you stop runtime!
    (+) Added a 'Show advanced options/info' button.

[setup]
    (+) You can now use all Liquid Materials as water.
    (+) You can now use all Gas Materials as Air.
    (+) You can set the water level to be a gameobject, and this will update in runtime.
    (+) You can now see the density of water and air in the window.
    (+) Added option to use external water management.

[setup GameObjects]
    (-) removed the select gameobject option.
    (+) Added option to click them from the hierarchy, or project.
    (+) Aded multi-object select support!
    (+) Added Floating Quality option
    (+) Added advanced option to select material Type (Liquid, Gas or Solid)
    (-) Removed Terminal velocity option, cause issue with the physics engine.

[Manage gameObjects]
    (+) Same as the setup, but will automaticly search trough your hierarchy to filter out gameobjects with a existing setup.

[RealisticBouyancy script]
    (-) Removed a lot of useless code.
    (+) Added option 'Light Run Time Edits' This allows you to edit the setting while in runtime.
    (+) Added option 'Light Run Time Edits' This allows you to edit all the setting while in runtime.
    (+) Added some public functions for you to use, to change the object at runetime.
    (+) Improved intire system it will now run the script in just 0.00001 second, and no GarbageCollection anymore!

[other]
    (+)Extra check if Ceto Ocean system is enabled but ocean not found.
    This will make the object state 'disabled' And the following message will be displayed: '[Realistic Water Physics] Ceto support enabled but missing Ocean!'
    (+)Changed the layout of the setup window, added more info.
    (+)Window will now repaint 10 times a second to keep the info up-to-date
    (+)Added new unit of Tempeture! you can now use Celsius or Fahrenheit, the window will calculate it for you.
    (+)Added a check if mesh is there or not, if not it will be using a collider to calculate its volume, it that is also not found the system can not work and a message will show: 'There is no MeshFilter or Collider on this object!'
    (+)Improved the speed of the script.
    (+)Added check to see if the selected object was created with advanced options enabled, toggling it on if so.
    (-)Removed the option to set water/air Tempeture!, the changes will be so small
    (+)Added check to see if the manager contains the script, if not it will stop the window and report errors.
    (+)Added support for DynamicWaterSystem Same setup as for Ceto, but add DW to the 'Scriping Define Symbols' This suport will allow you to use Realistic water Physics as a base, and have the buoyancy be handeld by the DynamicWaterSystem (Note: Its still in development!)

[Examples]
    (+) Added the 'ExternalWaterLevelManager' example script This allows you to have some basic moving water.

There is also a better manual on the website http://www.realisticphysics.com/
    (We are working on a better website)

If you have any questions about the new version or how to upgrade feel free to message me or ask them here.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Karearea likes this.
  16. olavrv

olavrv

We are loading individual scenes with our ships into a main scene at runtime. In the main scene we have ceto. The individual ships have realistic buoyancy script on them.

How I understand the new workflow in latest update, we should open the realistic physics window in each ship scene, and set it up correctly, and apply changes to script. It is then created a realisticwaterphysics manager in each ship scene, and all of these are loaded into the main scene (ie. multiple realisticwaterphysicsmanagers).

Is this the correct workflow, or how should we do this?

17. olavrv

olavrv

I also noticed that the new physics is very "stuttery" compared to the previous version - which was very smooth and natural.

A large ship now changes angle and direction velocity quickly (little or no ease in/out), and the behaviour doesn't appear to be realistic. This is very similar to the buoyancy system integrated in ceto, which wasn't satisfactory (Justin said so himself on the ceto thread).

The physics object in my test is a cube (w/box collider) size 24.5 / 11 / 100, steel, percentage solid = 9, slices per axis = 4, voxels limit = 16, ceto ocean with large slow rolling waves

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  18. imtehQ

imtehQ

I have not tested it with a setup like that, i will have to make a update to support it like that.

i have not seen the "stuttery" effect when i was testing it, but there has been a lot of changes to v2 to support other settings to, you can try to go disable advanced option and set the quallity to medium.

and if i may ask why are you using a box collider for your ship?

19. olavrv

olavrv

I have will send you a sample scene on msg, so you can have a look and perhaps guide me to what I could be doing wrong.

20. imtehQ

imtehQ

I have started a "conversation"(msg) with you to better help you solve the issues.

21. imtehQ

imtehQ

Ok I found the issue, you can fix it your self or wait for the new version to get approved, v2.1

In the RealisticBuoyancy.cs
    On i think line 153 look for:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. bounds = GetComponent<MeshFilter>().sharedMesh.bounds;
    Replace that with:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. bounds = GetComponent<Collider>().bounds;
    Do note that you can no longer only use a mesh on the object, there must be at least a collider on it.
    The issue was that sharedMesh.bounds returns 0.5, 0.5, 0.5 no matter the scale of the object.
    This is a fast fix, we will look to get it to work, but now I want to go to bed its 3:30 am XD

22. olavrv

olavrv

Superb, that seems to fix the issue. Thank you very much for quick response!

23. imtehQ

imtehQ

Version 2.1 will include a fix for the stuttering issue and also the MovePosition() will be in there to, to move a floating object without flipping it over.

The update could be there in a few days ;)
    Version 2.1:

[General]
    (^) Moved folder to "RealisticPhysics/RealisticWaterPhysics"
    (^) the ExternalWaterLevelManager can now be found as a component at "RealisticWater/RealisticWaterPhysics/ExternalWaterLevelManager"
    (^) Fixed Volume calculation bug.
    (+) Fixed manager from resetting if there are 2 scenes loaded into one.

(^) Fixed bug where objects without meshfilters where not calculated correctly.
    (+) Added movePosition() works the same as RigidBody.movePosition, only it will not flip the object over.
    (+) Code cleanup

[manager Window]
    (^) Fixed bug where water level did not update if window was closed,if water level was setas game object.

24. imtehQ

imtehQ

Version 2.1 is now out!
    Small mistake in the ExternalWaterLevelManager can now be found as a component at "RealisticWater/RealisticWaterPhysics/ExternalWaterLevelManager"

instead of: "RealisticPhysics/RealisticWaterPhysics/ExternalWaterLevelManager"

Will release a update in a few days to fix this.

25. unicat

unicat

26. imtehQ

imtehQ

We have put it on the to do list for version 2.3,
    Right now we are working on version 2.2 that will fixs a few small issues.
    After that we will look intro expending support.

We are also working hard to get the new website up and running.

27. unicat

unicat

Great.

28. imtehQ

imtehQ

Added 2 new trailers

A small trailer.

A small trailer with Ceto: ocean system support enabled.

29. ftejada

ftejada

hi

I am very interested in your asset. But I have some questions

1) This asset can be used with the assets "Realistic Water and PlayWater" ???

2) Your asset works better or has more real results using Ceto instead of "Realistic water or PlayWater" ???

regards

30. imtehQ

imtehQ

1) We are currently working on adding support for PlayWay Water System, and it will be included in the next update.

2) With Ceto: Ocean System and other supported water systems it will completely replace the existing buoyancy system while still reacting to the water in a realistic way.

It will also give you a new way to create floating objects by selecting the material of the object from a list, this is done so users don't have to manually set the density or mass of the objects.
    Just select what kind of material it is like oak, or steel or any of the other 90+ materials and let the system calculate everything for you.

This will make sure everything in your world act the correct way as its using real life values to calculate results.

We will always try to make it as realistic as possible with the supporting systems.

3) The included water in the asset is just a plane with water texture, and is not recommanded to use for a game, always best to use 1 (or more) supported assets.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  31. ftejada

ftejada

hi

Thanks for answering...

But I'm not sure I understood. Does your asset works too with water "Realistic Water" ????

32. imtehQ

imtehQ

Sorry, i did not know "Realistic Water" was a name of a asset :p

No it does not support Realistic Water right now, but we will put it on the to do list for 2.3
    Version 2.2 has been send for reviewing

ftejada likes this.
  33. imtehQ

imtehQ

Added the full material list to the forum post.
    And some more info on the future updates at the end.

ftejada likes this.
  34. ftejada

ftejada

Thanks

35. imtehQ

imtehQ

I has been added and will be included in the 2.3 update ;)

36. ftejada

ftejada

When version 2.3 is available, I will buy the asset, I hope it's very soon. regards

37. imtehQ

imtehQ

Version 2.2 is now online, version 2.3 will be release somewhere next week ;)

Version 2.2 change log: [ (+) = Added, (^) = Updated, (-) = Removed]
    [General]
    (^) The ExternalWaterLevelManager can now be found as a component at "RealisticPhysics/RealisticWaterPhysics/ExternalWaterLevelManager"
    (+) Added public call on RealisticBouyancy, isInWater() will return true if any of the checking points are hitting the water.
    (^) Fixed some issues with the volume calculations, its still not perfect is some situations. Its still the best with a mesh or box collider and mesh filter!
    (+) improved some code to handle more items at once.
    (+) Added RealisticRiverFlow script and can be found at "RealisticPhysics/RealisticWaterPhysics/RealisticRiverFlow"

[Window]
    (+) Added a small logo
    (^) Fixed small issue of Floating quallity not updating correctly when importing data from existing gameobject.
    (^) Fixed issues where enableing support not always works.
    (^) Fixed water level not updating correctly on some settings.
    (^) Fixed some text showing incorrectly.

(+) Added bit of code so objects that have the RigedBody isKinematic set to true will not run the buoyancy script.
    (+) Added better support for other systems.
    (^) Fixed and improved a few things
    (+) Added new script interface for a nicer look.

[Support]
    (+) Added AQUAS Water Lite support
    (+) Added AQUAS Water/River Set support
    (+) Added PlayWay Water System Support
    (+) Added Dynamic Water System support

[Bugs]
    (+) Disable and reinable a collider on start() will stop the setup and show incorrect behavior
    (+) Does not always work on a model where its point of center is not inside its model.
    (+) Scaling objects in-run time even with heavy edits on will not work right.

ftejada likes this.
  38. ftejada

ftejada

Perfect !!!!
    When version 2.3 will be released next week, say it here. I'll be waiting.
    regards

39. Hazor

Hazor

Hey imtehQ

I am getting an error when enabling CETO define symbol....

Assets/RealisticPhysics/RealisticWaterPhysics/Scripts/Background/RealisticBuoyancy.cs(532,34): error CS0117: `Ocean' does not contain a definition for `Instance'

Unity 5.0.4.3f and Ceto 1.1.3

Edit :

Fixed

Code (CSharp):
    1.             if(Ceto.Ocean.Instance != null)
    2.             {
    3.                 return Ceto.Ocean.Instance.QueryWaves(x, z);

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  40. imtehQ

imtehQ

I will look into this, and fix it for version 2.3, thank you

41. imtehQ

imtehQ

Version 2.3 can be delayed a bit, we found out a small bug slipt trough testing and now we are recreating the entire interface.

And we hope we can test out a few new ideas we have for the system.

It will not reset existing gameobject settings like version 1.1 did, but it will reset the setup option, like water level and water type, but its just 2 click to redo that.

42. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hello,

I'm having a small problem, I've followed the tutorial and my cube just floats up and bobs, water level doesn't affect it and if I add a plane and tell it to use that it still just bobs up to the same place, I'm using Unity 5.4 and your latest build but water level seems to have no effect.

Any ideas ?

Thank you.

43. imtehQ

imtehQ

There is a mall bug in that last version that effects the water level.

Edit:
    A way past this is to edit the file: RealisticWaterPhysicsManager And remove line 12: " [HideInInspector]"

Save it and open the manager, show advanced options and the manager gameoject will show up.
    Make sure your out on playmode and set the water level on the RealisticWaterPhysicsManager script in the inspector.

That way the water level will be saved.

We are aware of the issue, and working hard to fix it.

:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  44. imtehQ

imtehQ

Ok, the issue has been found and the hotfix for it has been send for approval.
    Hopefully it will update fast.

45. imtehQ

imtehQ

Version 2.2.1 is now out with the fix so water level works again. Please let me know if there other issues.

Version 2.3 will be delayed du to a brand new interface we are working on.

46. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hello,

Thank you I have the latest version and indeed the water level fix now lets my objects float in the correct place however by water drains, so the gameobject the plane that is the water moves down but the floating objects remain in the same position. In your Tutorial videos it shows you moving the water plane and the floating objects moving with it thus simulating floating as the water level goes down. When I drain my water (move the game object's transform position) my objects that were floating in water are left in mid air.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thank you.

47. imtehQ

imtehQ

There is still a issue with the water level on gameobjects, but a easy bypass can be done with a script

Create a new script or use a existing one thats on your water level gameobject
    And include code like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. void FixedUpdate ()
    2.     {
    3.         RealisticWaterPhysics.currentWaterLevel = this.transform.position.y;
    4.     }
    This will set the water level of all gameobjects to match your gameobjects position.

We're working hard to get the new interface done, this will include a fix for this issue, for now best to use the bypass for this issue above ;)

48. TryHarder

TryHarder

Excellent thank you !

Everything is working fine now :)

49. imtehQ

imtehQ

Great!

50. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Hi,
    I just bought this, trying to integrate it with Ceto, I'm no programmer, just trying to wrap my head around this.
    I'd actually prefer a buoyancy method, with separated buoyancy and mass, for unrealistic behavior (custom settings), but I guess this has slightly more options than the scripts shipped with Ceto, so I'll go with it.

I have a few questions, it seems like the buoyancy component takes into account colliders for children as well. When I add a box collider to a centerboard of a wooden raft, the raft flips over, whereas it doesn't when the hull is flat.
    So I'm not sure how the best way to go about this. Maybe unparent all the minor parts of the boat/raft and attach them with fixed joints instead.

Second question, the material type is that based on a (set of) numbers, and could this be opened up for custom tweaking trough the manager, such as when wanting to add balsa wood to the list, you don't have to request an update.

Third question, the mass of objects become quite high, so I have to adjust the other systems to fit into this (forces and simulations), is it possible, with this system, to have a global scale modifier for mass.