Search Unity

[Released] Puffin - Camera paths for cut scenes and presentations

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mecharius, Jul 30, 2016.

1. mecharius

mecharius

TLDR
    I've released Puffin, and its available on the asset store for only a fiver! Any questions, comments or suggestions post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

ABOUT
    Puffin is a simple package to help you create cut scenes or interactive presentations using the Unity Editor and all your favourite assets. Here are a few of the features:
    • Use waypoints or splines to set the camera path,
    • Edit waypoints and splines in the Unity editor
    • Control the flow of steps automatically or using scripting
    See it in action here (assets not included):

ROADMAP (current version 1.1.0)
    • Version 1.2.0
      • Use scripts to go to any step in the sequence (not just the first or next step), great for non-linear presentations or kiosk applications
      • List of game objects to trigger/activate on enter or leave animation step to make sequencing animations / effects easier
    LINKS
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/66581
    http://u3d.as/wys

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. mecharius

mecharius

Version 1.0.1 Released

Uploaded Unity 4.3+ version with Unity 4 example

3. mecharius

mecharius

Version 1.1.0 Released

Two new features -

1) camera targets, so the camera looks at the same object during the animation
    2) spline lerp start time, allowing smoother transitions on to the start of a spline

4. zuhaib230

zuhaib230

i recently bought your asset. could not find any other way to contact you as email given in the asset store doesn't work. The asset is great and does what its supposed my only question is after the presentation is done how do i tell it to transfer to fps camera in my scene to play the game.

5. mecharius

mecharius

@zuhaib230

Thanks! :)

Oh, I just tested the email and it came through ok. Hmmm... thats weird. Did it bounce back or something like that?

Do you mean you want to stop using the "Puffin" camera and switch over to a different camera? If yes, I guess the easiest way would be to have the two cameras in the scene - the Puffin one and your FPS camera. When the presentation ends you can just disable the Puffin camera and enable the FPS camera. For instance see http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/16146/changing-between-cameras.html

To work out when the PresentationController script ends, you can subscribe to the PresentationComplete event which fires when there are no more steps in the cutscene. For instance I think a simple MonoBehaviour like this (on the same GameObject as the PresentationController script) could do the trick (I haven't tested it):

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class MyCameraDisabled : MonoBehaviour {
    2.     private void Start() {
    3.         GetComponent<PresentationController>().PresentationComplete += HandleCompletedPresentation;
    4.     }
    6.     private void HandleCompletedPresentation() {
    7.         GetComponent<PresentationController>().PresentationComplete -= HandleCompletedPresentation;
    8.         gameObject.SetActive(false);
    9.     }
    10. }
    Let me know if there is anything else :)

6. zuhaib230

zuhaib230

i am faiirly new to unity and have or little or no knowlege in coding, can you please explain the coding problem a lttle more throughly

7. mecharius

mecharius

It's a little difficult to say too much more without understanding what you have in your scene, what scripts you have and what you are trying to do so to be honest I'm just guessing. Basically if you want to switch between cameras then one way is to have two cameras in the scene and then just enable the camera you want to use and disable the other cameras. The code above can do that for you using C# events / delegates.

If you want to use the same camera then you should just be able to disable the Puffin PresentationController and enable your FPS controller in the HandleCompletedPresentation method above.

As far as learning Unity and C# there are a tonne of resources via google or youtube that will get you started far better than I can, I'd just suggest watching and reading a lot and just try things out... good luck :)