Search Unity

[RELEASED] ProBuilder 2.0 : Seamless, Intuitive Level Design in Unity. Finally LIVE!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TechiTech

TechiTech

What I meant was that it would save the painted vertex information when saving it as a asset or obj.

However it worked when I tried again, not sure why it didnt work the first time.

I give you an example of how I'm using this feature. I apply my shader that uses the vertex RGBA as splat texture placement instead of the traditional splat texture. I then paint my grass, mud etc. This has been very useful in saving on splat texture memory.

But because I use many PB planes that have this vertex paint I soon realised that Unity editor slowed down. I had to make sure that I converted the Pb asset into a Unity asset. it would be great if I could keep it as a PB asset though, so I could come back and repaint parts of the plane. if you have any tips on improving performance when have many (40+) pb planes.

is there a way of converting an X pb asset back into pb format?

PS.

amazing work you guys have done with tool.

2. karl_

karl_

Oh I see, so just saving the vertex colors when exporting to Obj. I'll make a ticket to check that that's working as expected.

The next update focuses heavily on performance, so that may also solve this problem.

Edit - Also, instead of saving to an OBJ to alleviate performance issues, you could also try saving meshes as an Asset, which does for sure save vertex colors.

3. docsavage

docsavage

Hi,

In one of your tutorials decals to non flat surfaces was mentioned. This would be more than useful. Any news on this?

Thanks

4. Marble

Marble

Does PB no longer bake scale down to 1 after using the scale tool?

5. karl_

karl_

Nothing new on that yet, nope.

No, it allows the scale to be whatever you'd like. You can still bake the transform using the "Freeze Transform" menu item though.

6. Marble

Marble

Aha! That's what it's called. Thanks.

karl_ likes this.
  7. Marble

Marble

Hey guys, it would be really great if the OBJ exporter also exported vertex colors.

8. RFLG

RFLG

Hi guys,

I was wondering: can one access Probuilder's functions in runtime/programatically? I have a project where it would be smashing if we could use the face selection and a couple more nice things from Probuilder to change objects in-game.

We can assume that all the objects were "probuilderized" on the editor beforehand, to be changed during runtime later.

Can the plugin handle this in runtime or is it design to perform these operations on editor mode only?

I've googled this and I got no results, the thread is long, so I apologise if this question has arisen before ;)

Thanks in advance for the help!

9. karl_

karl_

@RFLG yes, all the editing functions are available at runtime, but you'll need to draw the handles and gizmos yourself. There's a couple API examples included in the ProBuilder packages, some of which show how to draw face highlights. There's also this tutorial I did a while ago on runtime editing: http://parabox.co/blog/blog_entry.html?2014-09-19=PipeDreams.html

Also feel free to stop by our forums (http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/forum/) if you have questions. I'm quite active there and happy to help with any specifics.

10. RFLG

RFLG

Oh, that's awesome! Thanks! I will create an account there then ;)

11. docsavage

docsavage

No worries.

Thanks for the reply Karl.

karl_ likes this.
  12. Rabbito

Rabbito

hi
    I have seen some of your tools in the assetstore and wanted to ask which one will be best for me.
    I need a tool to editing exsisting meshes. I wanted to make Lod versions of them. So i want to delete some polygons and adjust the texture.
    Additionally I need to correct pivot.

13. karl_

karl_

14. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

15. karl_

karl_

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  16. Stardog

Stardog

There's a small issue with Set Pivot and Duplicating (ctrl-d) resetting UV's. Is that fixable?

17. karl_

karl_

Neither of those actions should reset the UV1 channel, but could potentially modify the UV2s. If it's the first - does it happen for just specific objects, or is it any object?

18. Stardog

Stardog

It happens to every object I try it on. Applying a new material to surface does it too, and restarting Unity.

I'm using Manual UV Mode in Box mode, so I have to go back into the UV editor, select all the faces, and click Box to fix it all.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  19. coffeefery

coffeefery

Hello, I'm currently using ProBuilder for my project. Despite having the objects snapped perfectly together, I'm experiencing light leak issues (as shown in the attached image) and not sure if this is a Unity GI issue, or a mixture of both Unity GI and ProBuilder. Has anyone encountered this problem or knows a solution to it? Thanks in advance. LightLeak.jpg

20. MahaGaming

MahaGaming

Screenshot 2015-07-09 12.38.17.png Hi i'm not sure whats going on, but when i click the building I made, I loose all texture except one. Took me hours to do texture. i'm having to load scene every time. orange metal texture and brick texture.

Attached Files:

21. karl_

karl_

The last couple of posts I've seen on our support forums regarding light leaks were fixed by either clearing and rebuilding the lightmaps, or adjusting the GI settings. I haven't had much time to work with the new lighting, but one thing you may try is merging the abutting walls and welding the seam vertices (though the should already be 1:1 position with ProGrids, this is just to make sure it's not a rounding issue).

How are you applying textures? If you're just dragging them onto the object, ProBuilder will clear them - you need to use the Material Editor.

hopeful likes this.
  22. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Hi Karl, beta 2 came out today. Do you have an update already that is compatible? :)

23. karl_

karl_

Almost - I fixed the crashes in the beta, and in a happy coincidence also stumbled upon a fix for the incredibly slow Undo/Redo with large meshes. Those changes are taking some extra time, but I'm hoping to get a beta up this weekend (if you're not in the ProBuilder beta group just PM me and I'll set ya up).

24. AlmightyGames

AlmightyGames

This really looks awesome. Very ambitious! I'm glad to see that it made it's way into the Unity Asset Store. Congrats and best of luck! :)

25. mangax

mangax

hope things go as you expect karl, probuilder can do a lot of great stuff already, what it needs now some performance upgrades.

karl_ and ImpossibleRobert like this.
  26. Stardog

Stardog

Ew, no :p. How do we move them back? It also seems like we can't deselect things now by clicking the button again.

Also, the resizing info isn't showing anywhere.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  27. karl_

karl_

Haha, I figured some people may not like that. You can move the toolbar back to it's old position in the Preferences/ProBuilder window. It's under "Show Scene Toolbar" (you'll need to scroll down a little bit). If you have it in the scene view you'll notice there's an extra button (object mode) which does the same as selecting the toggle again in the old way.

You can re-enable this by turning on "Show Scene Info" in the Preferences pane, or you could use the new Object Info overlay in Window/Object Info/Show Dimensions (shown below).

(Stardog is referring to the beta for the next release - these features will be available soon in the Asset Store branch).

28. Stardog

Stardog

Nice, I didn't know about the Edit > Preferences options. I like the dimensions display too.

29. gilley033

gilley033

Hi, I just bought your tool and I can tell it's going to be great. One problem.

I am trying to create several meshes (pretty much all boxes) to serve as colliders for some more complicated geometry. In order to get the different colliders aligned perfectly, I am extruding edges/faces from the existing boxes and then detaching the resulting extrusions. The issue is that when I extrude and then detach a face/edge/etc. from a pro builder object that is rotated, the resulting new object tries to use the rotation of the first object (I assume), resulting in an incorrect box collider when I attempt to add a collider.

Is there any way to recalculate the bounds of the mesh based on the actual mesh properties? Here's an image of the issue. If there's some other way to go about doing what I'm trying to do, please let me know. This really seems like the most straightforward and easiest way though.

bug.png

Edit: So I figured I could get around this issue by simply moving the pivot to the edge that I want to stay aligned with the stair collider, but the SetPivot button doesn't do anything. When I switch back to object mode in the pro builder menu, the pivot point remains at the center of the object.

I am on Unity 5.1.2f1. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  30. illinar

illinar

Hello I've just started to use ProBulder, and here is my feedback (hope that is an appropriate place for it).

Issues I have:
    1. Selection tool fails constantly in more complex models. It just wont select certain polygons or edjes, especially with the box selection, but clicking fails very often too, on any model. So I often have to click the same polygon few times before it gets selected, or make same box selection few times around a group of edges
    2. I'm getting this error in UV editor: IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range pb_UV_Editor.CanvasSelectionBounds () ...

Features I would like to see:

1. Selection mode that allows to select polygons by partly selecting them with selection box.
    2. Cut tool.
    3. Lasso selection mode.
    4. All hotkeys customizable, with ability to override Unity's standard shortcuts.
    5. Control over vertex coordinates (ability to see and edit them as digits).
    6. Builtin snapping options. Vertex snapping.
    7. Target weld.
    8. Brush mode for polygon coloring (clicking with that tool on the polygon to color it).
    9. Ability to collapse an edge or a polygon.

Minor feature suggestions:
    1. Hiding movement gizmo while selecting.
    2. Hotkeys to switch to certain selection modes (besides what G and H does), I would have those on ZXC keys for example.
    3. Would be nice to see hotkeys in the button tooltips.

So far I was disappointed with the broken selection tool and lack of some modelling features. I need at least ProGrids to may be make it work for me, but before I spend another 20$, I need to ensure that you will give me the refund on both tools if I will decide that it doesn't work for me, right? (I made the purchase two days ago.)

Is there an access to source code? At least to some API?

31. karl_

karl_

Thanks! On the colliders, I'm guessing that the collisions are coming in like that because they're calculating the bounds in local space as an AABB, but your meshes aren't necessarily axis aligned boxes (note how the selected cube has a non-identity rotation but looks to be aligned).

On the Set Pivot thing, make sure that the "Center/Pivot" toggle (to the right of the handle toolbar in the top left of Unity) is set to "Pivot" and not "Center".

Cool, thanks for purchasing! We usually point people to our support forum, but here is fine too. http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/forum/

To address your points -

There are some known issues with high resolution screens that I'm working on addressing at the moment. For now, you can make sure you have `Select All` on (toggles backface selection) and just know that face and edge selection require the entire polygon bounds to register as a selection.

If you wouldn't mind it would help me immensely if you could post the steps to reproduce this at our support forum (http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/forum/).

This would be a good addition. I'll make a ticket for it and try to get that into the next release.

We have the Connect tool, which does the same thing Cut does (select two edges or vertices and Connect will insert an edge between them).

Like this (http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/selections/lasso-tool/)? So this selection mode would grab any element inside that lasso, or just the elements that touch the line?

Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done in terms of overriding Unity shortcuts. Those events are reserved beyond a point where we could potentially intercept them. The scene view shortcuts (the single key ones) are all customisable in the Preferences panel, and the MenuItem level shortcuts are accessible through the script interfaces (all the Menu folder).

This would be nice too. I'll make a ticket.

ProGrids handles the snapping, as it looks like you've found. ProBuilder does of course respect the Unity snapping (holding Ctrl or V key while translating vertices).

We don't have a dedicated tool for target welding, but it's pretty quick to grab a vertex, hold the 'V' key and drag to the target, then weld. I've made a ticket for adding an explicit interface for this as well.

If you're using 2.4.5 or higher, click the `+` icon in the Vertex Colors button to set the color editor to "Painter". If you're using pre-2.4.5, the vertex brush painter is available through the "ProBuilder > Experimental" menu item.

I'm not sure what Collapse means in this context; deleting an edge? If that's the case, "Merge Faces" is available.

That's a neat idea. Made a ticket.

Ditto on this one - I'll add that now actually since it'll be quick.

Agreed. At the moment it's a mixed bag where some do and some don't have tooltips. I'll make that more uniform next update.

Were there features advertised that you weren't able to find? If that's the case please let me know, I wouldn't want anyone making a purchase based on incorrect information.

On refunds, just get in touch with us via the support email and we'll help sort it out.

Yes, in the ProCore bundle it comes packaged as a unitypackage, but if you just bought the standalone you can register for the User Toolbox (http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/usertoolbox/) on our website to download the latest versions of assets (including Unity 4 and 5 binaries plus source).

32. zenGarden

zenGarden

i think he means collapse an edge (two vertex) as one vertex.

33. karl_

karl_

Oh, in that case it's the "Collapse" button (shown in the menu when two or more vertices are selected in Vertex mode), shortcut Alt-C.

34. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

I was wondering if I were to import an FBX or CD4 model into Unity, am I able to use ProBuilder to Unwrap UVs on those models, or does ProBuilder only work with meshes and geometry it creates in the editor?

35. karl_

karl_

The UV editor only works on ProBuilder meshes. There is a menu item to convert any imported mesh into a ProBuilder object, but it's best used with simpler models and can struggle with more complex meshes.

36. FG_dev1

FG_dev1

I there a way to default meshes to not be static batching?

37. karl_

karl_

Not at the moment, but I just added it as a preference :) Will be available in the next update.

38. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Is it possible to convert one part of a mesh to a ProBuilder Object or no?

39. karl_

karl_

As in selectively pick submeshes to turn into ProBuilder objects? Unfortunately at the moment it's an "all or nothing" sort of deal - it only looks for a Mesh asset when grabbing the selection, there's not a way to be any more specific.

40. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Yep, that's what I meant. Thanks for the info. Is that a massively complicated feature to implement, or would it be okay to ask for that as a feature request?

41. illinar

illinar

That is by far not as efficient and easy to use as a tool like a Cut tool in 3DsMax and similar applications. Where you can freely cut geometry (add new edges and vertices) from vertex to an edge, and from any point of the edge to any point on another edge, and from point to point of course, but by simply clicking on them without selecting. Or even making cuts in the middle of the polygon, like cutting a "round" hole in the object, or just adding vertices that way.

Lasso could have two modes - one is more like a.. brush selection, where you draw the line and whatever intersects it is selected (good for edges). And another is the classic lasso where vertices or anything inside the lasso is selected.

Haha, I didn't know about the V feature :) But a thing is that Unity doesn't allow you to move objects freely in 3 axis, so snapping only works in two axis at a time..

An ability to collapse their vertices into one the same way as if you were selecting the edge or a polygon and then switching to vertex mode and pressing collapse button. There is NO reason to not use the same button in other poly and edge modes.

I meant the brush mode that will fill polygons with color, not coloring vertices. Selecting and assigning color is not too terrible, but brush will be more handy. And I assume that is the way people mostly use vertex colors - coloring entire polygons with one color.

I have some very specific requirements, but may be you would consider this. I need a bigger palette of indexed colors. For example I create a palette of vertex colors and I color my polygons on my objects, and then when I change those colors in the palette, it would change the color of every polygon colored with that color in my project. That feature might be useful to many people I believe.. So far I'm using texture with colors, then I collapse UVs and put them on the right color. If I change that texel color, it of course changes colors of all verts on all objects that are using that texel and that texture. Hmm.. I can even do some neat effects in real time that way.. But I don't need it to be real time.

Thanks for the great support.

42. summerian

summerian

Is it possible to put this plugin in a "Plugins" folder?

43. karl_

karl_

Oddly, no. You can put ProBuilder into any folder you'd like as long as the folder isn't named "Editor" or "Plugins". However, these two folders are special cases in Unity and will break namespaces between runtime and editor-only code.

44. theSoenke

theSoenke

When i use the Diffuse Vertex Color shader of ProBuilder and enable GI it gets really dark inside of buildings.

Anything i can do to fix this? Increasing Bounce Boost etc. has no effect. This problem only occurs with ProBuilder shaders

45. karl_

karl_

The ProBuilder shaders are still using the legacy lighting pipeline. If you're not using vertex colors, I'd suggest just changing the shader to the new Standard.

46. theSoenke

theSoenke

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    karl_ likes this.
  47. ksam2

ksam2

Thanks for this awesome asset.
    It doesn't work correctly on Unity 5.2B

And there is something is really needed! why there is no option to double edge (like chamfer in 3dmax)?

48. karl_

karl_

What's not working for you? I briefly tested on the latest beta (b6 at time of writing) and didn't notice anything wrong.

Bevel is on the feature list, can't say when it will be done but it is a high priority.

49. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

Probuilder and Prototype are both completely broken in Unity 5.2.0b4

You can create a basic shape, but nothing else works at all - can't select the objects afterwards or do anything to the probuilder objects in the scene view at all. Not sure what's going on - no script errors, the project is empty otherwise.

ksam2 likes this.
  50. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

The object / face picking seems broken in this build - if I have selection set to 'plan' and 'select visible' I can click/drag to select a face (using box-select) but ONLY if the pb object is previously selected in the scene view. This obviously completely breaks the workflow of using this tool.

Pretty stuck at this point otherwise. Hopefully this gets fixed asap.