Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] ProBuilder 2.0 : Seamless, Intuitive Level Design in Unity. Finally LIVE!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Feb 6, 2013.

1. OnePxl

OnePxl

Does ProBuilder support vertex colour painting? If so, is there a short tutorial of some sorts for it somewhere?

2. karl_

karl_

Yes, it's a relatively new feature so there's not much documentation on it yet. I'll do a quick video showing how to use it and post back here.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    OnePxl likes this.
  3. 00christian00

00christian00

Hi,
    With probuilder included I can't use vertex snap anymore, pressing V does nothing.

Is there any way to assign vertex colors to a whole surface or make a click drag selection and color them?
    Right now if I perform a click drag selection and set the colors it does nothing.

4. OnePxl

OnePxl

What happens if you press shift-v?

5. karl_

karl_

The 'V' key was a bug in the last release - it has been fixed and we're getting an update ready at the moment.

To assign vertex colors to a face (or set of faces) you can use either the Vertex Painter, or the Vertex Color Palette. The color palette is in Tools / ProBuilder / Vertex Color Palette. Use `Shift + Alt + [0-9]` to set colors of assigned faces, or click the button in the palette window. See the above post for how to use the vertex painter. Note that you'll need to be using a material with a shader that respects vertex color (Unity's default diffuse does not).

6. 00christian00

00christian00

I am using the vertex color palette, but it doesn't work if I select a whole object or if I drag click to select multiple faces. It write Set Face Color, but it's doing nothing. It works only when I click each face one by one, which is very slow.

7. karl_

karl_

That's strange - I can't reproduce that issue using 2.3.3f1 (the current version). What version of PB are you working with?

8. 00christian00

00christian00

Here is an example. The highlighted faces were selected with click drag.
    As you see I chose red color, but nothing happen. Same if I want to color the whole object.
    I am using the last version 2.3.3f1, I tested it on an empty project.

Attached Files:

9. DGordon

DGordon

Is there any way to create rounded corners on cubes? I'm loving the workflow, but I don't always want a hard edge :/.

10. cel

cel

just saw you vertex paint feature, really cool... just a question will this allow to paint using a texture or is it just color?

11. karl_

karl_

Applying textures via the vertex painter is included in the 2.4 update, which should be soon.

Not yet, but beveling is definitely on the to-do list.

12. DGordon

DGordon

I'm glad to hear its planned, but what does "on the to-do list" really mean? To-do list, but a year before you hit it? Months? Weeks? Maybe never?

13. karl_

karl_

Less than a year, more than a week?

On a serious note, I'll probably look at beveling in the next month. Right now I'm working on polishing and bug fixes for the Unity 5 compatibility update, so whenever that is complete is when I'll start looking at new features. I'd say (off the record) that beveling, splatmap support in the vertex painter, and getting drag/drop material support working will be among the first new features I work on post-2.4 update.

14. DGordon

DGordon

sounds great, thanks! :D

15. RTSlang

RTSlang

I'm getting this black box and errors when I install the new update.

16. karl_

karl_

Just go to the Unity preferences panel, and in the ProBuilder tab at the bottom right click 'Use Defaults'. The problem is that there is a null value in the Default material slot.

17. RTSlang

RTSlang

I tried that and am still getting the same issue. A bunch of empty pb-Objects are spawning when even click the window anywhere.

18. karl_

karl_

Is the 'Default Material' set to a valid material?

Also worth noting - this bug has been fixed for the 2.4 update.

19. RTSlang

RTSlang

Yes it is set to the right material. Initially nothing was there. After I set it the problem still occurs.

20. RTSlang

RTSlang

Should I just wait for the update?

21. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    Bought pro builder a while back, and now want to dig in.
    Just downloaded it.

Are there some working demos downloadable from somewhere that show off a completed level, that can be used in authoring?

22. Pawl

Pawl

Ah, so it is a known issue that dragging & dropping materials will get reverted if the object is modified at the Element level?

EDIT: Also, I'm getting this exception when using the ProBuilderize Selection (however, if I use the Preserve Faces option, it seems to work better). This is with both a semi-complex mesh (~500 verts) and a basic chamfered cube, imported from .fbx files.

Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    2. ProBuilder2.MeshOperations.pbMeshOps.CreatePbObjectWithTransform (UnityEngine.Transform t, Boolean preserveFaces)
    3. ProBuilder2.Actions.pb_ProBuilderize.ProBuilderize (UnityEngine.Transform t, Boolean preserveFaces) (at Assets/ProCore/ProBuilder/Editor/MenuItems/Actions/pb_ProBuilderize.cs:46)
    This is with the latest 2.4 build (however the About window still says 2.3.4f4, I'll assume that's incorrect).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  23. karl_

karl_

Yup - it works in some circumstances but not all. If you're in Element mode while dragging, it will apply to the selected faces, and if you're in Object mode it (should) apply to the whole object. If you don't have the ProBuilder window open at all it will revert like you mentioned.

It may not be the correct version - did you import the update over an existing ProBuilder project? If so, it may not have imported all the right bits.

24. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Shwa- I'm getting the "Helipad Escape" scene prepped for distribution right now, I'll announce that via Twitter (@ProBuilder3D), and post here as well, once that's ready. Just chopping down the file size as much as possible. Thanks for purchasing!

25. Pawl

Pawl

Thanks for the clarification, karl!

Hmm, I did initially update over the 2.3 beta, but had errors, so I wiped all the ProBuilder files and did a fresh (I believe) import of the latest from the asset store. Is there any way to verify the correct installation? Should the about window read 2.4?

26. karl_

karl_

It should - yes. However, if you just deleted the ProBuilder folder and not the Shared folder that is in the parent "ProCore" folder that might just be a red herring. Does ProBuilder menu have an entry named `Experimental`? That would be a quick way to tell if it's PB 2.1.4.

27. Pawl

Pawl

I do see an 'Experimental' menu option, but even after wiping the entire ProCore folder, re-downloading within the Asset Store & re-importing, this is what I see. Is this correct? Is there another location I should be wiping files? I'm running Unity Pro 4.3 if it matters.

As far as I can tell, it _does_ seem to be version 2.4 though.

28. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ok, posted now! http://bit.ly/1GdkgBW

hopeful likes this.
  29. Pawl

Pawl

Also, forgive me if this has been asked & answered a dozen times already, but is there a way to set vertex position values manually via an inspector field somewhere? Almost like the 'Quick Offset' button in the Pb_Object inspector window, but rather than offset, be able to specify an absolute position to set all selected vertex positions to.

ie: If you want to select a bunch of verts and set all their y values to be the same; to flatten.

30. 00christian00

00christian00

Hi Karl,
    Could be possible to add some path extrude to Probuilder?
    Something that extrude a face along a path, like a spline.

31. docsavage

docsavage

Hi,

I have been using procore complete and loving the package.

Unfortunately I hit problems trying it with unity 5

The tools drop down is not showing all the packages. I am only seeing probuilder and progrids.

There are also numerous error messages -
    Assets/ProCore/Shared/About/Editor/pc_AboutWindow 2.cs(49,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `pc_AboutWindow'

and

Assets/ProCore/Shared/About/Editor/pc_AboutWindow 2.cs(49,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `pc_AboutWindowSetup'.

This is preventing any scene from being run due to compiler errors.

Also there was a message about the API update failing.

As I said the package is great. One feature I think would be useful is in progroups buttons to add/remove single gameobjects along with the full group/group rebuild

Thanks again

32. karl_

karl_

Hey @docsavage you can just delete one of the pc_AboutWindow scripts found in `ProCore/Shared/About` folder.

This was due to a change in the package importer with Unity 5 making copies of duplicate assets instead of overwriting. We've changed the reliance on shared assets for Unity 5 packages in future releases.

33. karl_

karl_

No way to do that is exposed, but it would be pretty easy to add. Will make a ticket to get that in there.

It's possible - I'll make a ticket for it.

00christian00 likes this.
  34. snowcult

snowcult

Just wondering what people's workflows for exporting to OBJ is? I'm creating buildings and props inside one unity project, to use in another project.

I'm incredibly new to modelling, ProBuilder is the main tool I've been using, but I'm learning Mudbox and Maya.

My plan is to create the models in ProBuilder in one scene (Already done a house with interior, shed, yard, curb/sidewalk, etc.

Then export to OBJ and import into Mudbox so I can sculpt them a bit and make them a little nicer (square edges can get a bit ugly, plus I need at least normal mapped ridges and the like). I'm incredibly new to Mudbox, especially. I can paint texture inside of that, right? I've found that texturing with ProCore and exporting obj often adds in some unnecessary textures, like so:

http://i.imgur.com/PrMGuR3.png

35. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Hello, I have just purchased this together with ProGrids, upgrading from Prototype.

Currently using Unity 5, there are some bugs I encountered.

- Undo not working properly when using ProBuilder with ProGrids together. It has destroyed my entire level! :(
    (The undo is working individually when ONLY using ProBuilder though.)
    (But trying to turn off ProGrids and undoing after the changes will make undo destroy your entire mesh!)

- Tried editing Prototype mesh object with ProBuilder, dissapointed that I can't edit them.

- Extrusion behavior is weird with ProBuilder! (And why does it not respect Local/World/Plane settings?)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  36. snowcult

snowcult

I had a lot of problems with extrusion and face selection in Unity 5 Beta RC1, too. I have my side installation of 4.6 for all ProTools related work until Unity 5 compatibility is fully sorted out.

37. docsavage

docsavage

Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply . I will try as directed.

38. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

a lot of the bugs fixed on my end with the latest update, good times

39. snowcult

snowcult

What's the problem I'm having here?

40. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

your using progrids, you want to turn that off when using probuilder, as far as i know it is not designed to be a snapping tool for probuilder

41. kenlem

kenlem

Is No Draw texture still supported in the latest version? I can seem to find how to set a face to no draw.

42. snowcult

snowcult

Really? I've had no issue using the two together in the past. It's always snapped correctly in 4.6 and below. I've used the two quite a bit, especially recently, in 4.6 and never encountered this problem.

Also seems a little counter-intuitive to not have them work together.

No, I think something just isn't working currently here.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  43. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

yh it will work fine as long as the object is aligned to the grid but as soon as you start extruding away from the grid it will try to snap back to the grid thats why it looks like an issue

44. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

ProGrids is advertised to be a tool that assist Probuilder tremendously.

It should work together in a parallel synergy if anything.

I bought ProGrids for the boosted ProBuilder accuracy.

45. karl_

karl_

NoDraw was removed as part of the Unity 5 updates. Recommend just deleting the face instead.

ProGrids snaps to world coordinates, so if your cube is rotated the vertices would no longer be "on grid". By moving that face, Grids will snap all the affected vertices to the world grid, which is what you're seeing there. If you're just wanting to snap in local space, the built in Unity snap does that.

46. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi

Does pro-builder/prototype support the creation of 3d shapes from 2d shapes by extrusion? I looked in prototype and could find nothing, so I wondered if there were any plans to support such a feature?

cheers

Nalin

47. karl_

karl_

If you already have a 3d plane, then yes - you can extrude out from that. However, if you're meaning that it reads a texture for edges then extrudes a 3d shape from that, then no - ProBuilder doesn't do that.

48. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Thanks, that's what I thought - I wanted the latter :(

49. snowcult

snowcult

Hey there, hoping you can help with this.

I'm working on a simple model to use in EasyRoads3D, and it looks like this:

What I need is for that large square area (the road section) to have triangles like this:

I can't quite figure out how I get it like that... I've tried subdiving, inserting loops, etc. I also tried to create from scratch, but I can't seem to remove one of the edges of a cube to create a triangle, so... four sides only?

I really have no idea what I'm doing...

50. karl_

karl_

If the sidewalk and road are a single mesh, you can just insert an edge between the two vertices using the 'Connect Vertices` menu item.

If they're separate meshes, you can connect the edges and snap the two bottom vertices to their respective corners, then Weld them together.