Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Physically Based Area Lights - redLights 2.0

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MPanknin, Feb 9, 2015.

1. DmytroL

DmytroL

And to follow op on Iegor's question, assuming that the lights work as area lights, how (and if) will IES profiles with light distribution patterns wider than 180 degrees in either horizontal or vertical direction work?

Also, do you have any options for a time-limited trial version? For example, we're working on a proposal for a potential customer and we would like to evaluate if your product is suitable for our particular needs (worklights / headlights simulation). If we see that for some reason the redLight solution does not work for us, it does not make much sense to purchase the license as it is very unlikely we will use the asset in our other projects.

2. MPanknin

MPanknin

@Iegor

Please have a look at the docs: http://data.redplant.de/pbal/redLights2.0_Manual.pdf
    Section "IES Workflow"

You can not use arbitrary source files for your profiles. You have to reformat the source file first using iesgen. The reason is that iesgen ouputs a well structured and easily readable ies syntax, that we can parse in our code. There are so many different variations and formats out there, that we choose not to write a full blown ies parser by ourself, but instead rely on a tool, that does the reformating for us.

I'd recommend downloading/importing the profiles first.

I think I might have misunderstood, what you have asked on Twitter yesterday.

Hope this helps.

Martin

3. MPanknin

MPanknin

We support ies profiles only for point emitters.
    I'm afraid there is no trial version right now. Sending you a PM right now.

Cheers,
    Martin

4. TopThreat

TopThreat

- Editing now, no value added to being blunt and to the point on a public forum. Basically in the preedit post I was just whining that the old product didnt work as promise etc. ect. but I was not friendly about it.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  5. blueivy

blueivy

@LeeAllen That was very uncalled for and rather rude. But besides that I think everyone can see that this is not screen space area lights anymore. This is physically based and based on all new code if I remember correctly. Also it sounds like something you should take up with the author of this asset through PM's :)

6. CWolf

CWolf

Just to check, does this asset have full light bleeding? (due to no shadows). If so, I presume this means that walls don't stop lights at all and the light will show on the 'other side' of the wall? I'm struggling to think of how this can be used in a practical way in a game when the light will bleed. Is there no way at all to block it?

EDIT: By the way, the asset looks very nice and I do understand the light will diminish with the drop off set. I understand that. Just light bleeding is a deal breaker.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  7. DennG

DennG

Any news about Alloy shader support?

8. SOLOinteractive

SOLOinteractive

Hi, sorry to go back to this point, I know it's from back in March, but could you explain how a developer can deal with shadows when using redlight 2.0 area lights then, or are we constrained to a shadowless scene?
    Thanks for your help.

9. MPanknin

MPanknin

Hi guys,

sry for the silence at the moment. We are currently approaching a deadline on another project and had to postpone working on redlights.

We'll come back to you asap and answer all your questions and submit the latest update.

Thanks for your patience.

Martin

blueivy and FreakForFreedom like this.
  10. rebit

rebit

Hi MPanknin, are you plan to implement cast shadows or this not make sense for arealights ? thnks

11. Licarell

Licarell

I hope it makes sense for shadows because as I understand it from other posts it bleeds light like a stuck pig...

12. MPanknin

MPanknin

13. MPanknin

MPanknin

redLights 2.3 has been submitted.

- Update to Unity 5.1
    - Initial texture support for rect emitter
    - Updated all light gizmos to properly account for geometry intersection
    - Added demo scene for terrain shader integration. (this is also a good reference for setting up custom shaders)
    - Couple of Minor fixes

Oh yes, and we finally updated the docs... :)

Have a nice day!

blueivy likes this.
  14. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Hi,
    A couple of questions for confirmation.
    1) version one purchasers have to buy version two at full price?
    2) There is no shadow casting by these lights?

15. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Okay, bought the package, but see I need to use your shader as the Built-in shader.
    I already have all my shaders moved to Alloy shaders, any possibility of supporting their shaders with your lights?

16. MPanknin

MPanknin

This is not an update to SSAL. It is a completely different piece of software.

No, we are working on it.

But like I have said many times before, don't expect shadow support to be finished soon.

17. MPanknin

MPanknin

Yes, we'll prepare a tutorial for setting up Alloy with redLights. However, in the current version it might include a couple of manual tasks on your side.

We are in contact with the developers of Alloy and are trying to find a smooth way for integrating the two packages.

We'll keep you posted!

Martin

18. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Great on the Alloy note!
    Thanks!
    Don't suppose you have the steps available?
    :)

19. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Is it okay to delete this file?

Assets/redLights/Scripts/Misc/Controller.cs(4,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `Controller'

20. sotec

sotec

does your lighting work on a full dynamic scene ( without anything static ) ?

21. MPanknin

MPanknin

We are currently preparing the tutorial for the new Alloy version 3.1.

Please be patient, we will post it here as soon as possible.

Thanks

artzfx and Don-Gray like this.
  22. MPanknin

MPanknin

You should be safe deleting that file. It's one of the demo scripts and not really necessary for the rest of the lights.

However, if you delete it, one of the demo scenes might not work. Most probably the emitter_gi.unity

If I remember correctly :)

Don-Gray likes this.
  23. MPanknin

MPanknin

Yes, our lights behave almost identical to the stock lights. So, if it works with them, it should work with redLights too.

Let me know if you encounter any problems.

Cheers,
    Martin

24. MPanknin

MPanknin

Hi there,

as promised, here is our in-depth tutorial for setting up Alloy & redLights.

A big thanks to the guys at Rust Ltd. for working together with us on integrating the two packages!

1. Import Alloy 3.1 into your project
    2. Import redLights 2.3.1 into your project. (Currently uploading to the AssetStore)
    3. Goto GameObject/Light/redLights/Helper/Setup Alloy Support

4. Click your left mouse button
    5. You're done

Thanks for reading all of this.

artzfx, Don-Gray, DennG and 1 other person like this.
  25. mowentian

mowentian

hi,what about ios il2cpp support?

26. MPanknin

MPanknin

Sry, I don't understand your question.

27. artzfx

artzfx

Just to clarify, under Graphics>Custom shader> do we leave the Alloy deferred shader in place or do we replace it with the redPlant-DeferredShading.shader still?

Below images both use the Alloy Material shader, but differences shown depending on the Graphics/Deferred Custom Shader being used.

First image using Red Planet deferred shader as Custom Shader
    rl_redplanet.jpg

Second image is using Alloy Deferred shader as Custom shader
    rl_alloy.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  28. skudfisher1

skudfisher1

Does this not have the nice falloff curves of the original version? Do I still have falloff control at all?

29. MPanknin

MPanknin

Hm no, we didn't port the old falloff functionality, yet. What exactly would you need? Simply applying custom falloff curves, or also more advanced control like falloff animations and so on?

30. MPanknin

MPanknin

You should use the shader, that ships with Alloy.

31. MPanknin

MPanknin

Oh yeah, and we started working on shadows.

Below is a proof of concept for the algorithm, that we are using. This is still a very early preview, but I think you get the idea.

Unfortunately we can't tell you a release date yet, since there is still a lot do in order to shape it up and get it production ready, but we are on it keep you posted.

Attached Files:

32. artzfx

artzfx

Surprised given the Red Planet shader achieves the better result. Unless the Alloy helper isn't working for me. It didn't seem to change anything after running it.

33. MPanknin

MPanknin

That's odd. We'll look into it.

34. artzfx

artzfx

If you look at my screenshots above, the Alloy deferred Custom shader is causing a flat look with little specular, whereas the Red Planet deferred Custom shader show in full glory. Both images are using Alloy Material Shader.

Thanks.

35. elamhut

elamhut

Does the lights work with shaders made in Shaderforge? I only saw an answer on page 1 and no one has talked about it since then :)

36. Dan2013

Dan2013

@MPanknin
    Just found this awesome plugin.

My questions:
    1. Do paid users also get a copy of full source code (cs files, shader files)?
    2. The plugin is stable enough to use in production for mobile games?
    3. "texture emitter" seems such an interesting function. In Unity5, an emission object should be static in light map, which is limited. Now, I can just attach a "texture emitter" to a moving objects?

37. Dan2013

Dan2013

@MPanknin
    Same question for Shader Forge.

38. NERVAGON

NERVAGON

When I follow the instructions above for ALLOY compatibility, I get a message in the console saying patch successful, and instructing me to re-import the ALLOY shaders. I am doing that right now.

Edit: OK, I can also confirm that the results are just wrong when using ALLOY deferred shader after following the instructions. A rectangular area light gave me a bright, round specular highlight in a strange, offset location, and switching back to the redlights deferred shader also gave me the more correct results. I will stay with that and test more.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  39. VEIVIEV

VEIVIEV

Hi,

Loving this set of tools. Really cool.

I have some questions regarding functionality:

1) How do we control the colour of the emitted light? For some reason no matter what I do I get an orange/yellow tint

2) Can we adjust the size of the IES ball light? Or hide it? As I would prefer to replace it with a mesh fixing

Thanks
    V

40. artzfx

artzfx

1. Just click the white Color picker to change. see below.
    2. If you uncheck the "emitter" the ball should disappear.

emitter.jpg

VEIVIEV likes this.
  41. VEIVIEV

VEIVIEV

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize about the emitter tick box, stupid me, thanks.

However the colour still has a yellow tinge to it no matter what colour I set it?

42. artzfx

artzfx

Just rechecked mine and it is perfect white. Just a stab in the dark. Are you by any chance using a yellow colour for your Ambient Light instead of a Skybox? Perhaps that could be bouncing yellow light and making this RedLight not reflect white.

43. VEIVIEV

VEIVIEV

You're correct, my bad. I think it was the floor colour bounce combined with the Ambient Light causing the effect. The floor was a brown orange colour and the bounce was appearing more yellow in colour. Thanks for your help :)

44. VEIVIEV

VEIVIEV

One last noob question and I swear to leave you in peace :)

Is is possible to somehow disable the emitter specular reflection? Adding a surface to a layer isn't possible because I still require the lighting information, just not the specular shine.

45. artzfx

artzfx

:) Well that wasn't a bad stab in the dark after all.

In regards to your recent post, are you sure you have the emitter box unchecked (set invisible)? it doesn't look like specular reflection of the emitter, but rather that the emitter is enabled as visible.

46. VEIVIEV

VEIVIEV

Yes I have, that is a direct specular reflection. If I turn on the emitter the white globe will appear underneath.

47. VEIVIEV

VEIVIEV

I'm also getting a build issue with Unity 5.1.2p2. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

48. MPanknin

MPanknin

We will test this. Actually we wanted to do this before, but time is so scarce these days...

49. MPanknin

MPanknin

Right now you can only amplify / attenuate specular globally. This can be done via the Speclight Multiplier in the AreaLightManager.

Modifying diffuse or specular on a per light basis is currently not supported. It should be relatively easy to implement though. I'll put it on our list for the next release.

Thanks

50. MPanknin

MPanknin

Ups, I hate it when this happens. This is completely due to me being inattentive. Sry... :)

The namespace UnityEditor is not available when building your application. Therefore the relevant parts of the code must be enclosed properly.

As a quick fix you can do the following.

1. Open the file AreaLightRect.cs
    2. Enclose the very first line with #if UNITY_EDITOR / #endif
    3. Save the file

upload_2015-8-12_10-57-43.png

Thanks

VEIVIEV likes this.