Search Unity

[Released] OLD TV Post Processing Filter

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by VortexStudios, Nov 7, 2014.

1. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

Hello everyone!
    I am very happy to announce that my OLD TV Filter was accepted! o/

I'm was working on this little guy for my game a long time, and here is the result, a effect with scanlines, noise, distortion, chroma aberration and MUCH MORE!!Very soon I'll release a update with a version for Unity3D free users!!

Look some games using this amazing effect o/

Jelly Escape Deluxe Edition (TawStudio Entertainment & Vortex Game Studios)

Odallus: The Dark Call (JoyMasher)

Darkside Detective (Spooky Doorway)

It's very easy to use too!!
    Just drad and drop the filter script to your camera and pronto! Your game looks 80's!
    You have some options like TV reflect mask, noise and static and much more!

I need to make my game looks 80's!! Where can I find this amazin filter?!
    You can buy this amazing filter from the Asset Store :D

Hope everyone likes ^^ Feel free to send any comment! o/

Check every assets we developed on
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/publisher/4888/page=1/sortby=popularity

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Mauri and KnightRiderGuy like this.
  2. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

Here a small preview from our filter version for Unity3D Free :) Soon o/

KnightRiderGuy likes this.
  3. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

Please add a web player version or a youtube cap of it.

Thanks,

Nic

4. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

I'll record it right now o/

5. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

Here a video Nic, right now I'm working with the Unity beta, I'll downgrade to create a web player version too :)

6. lolzrofl

lolzrofl

Thank you so much for this shader! I have been looking for ages for something as customizable as this! Anything comparable is much more expensive but at $5 this is a steal and I'm happy to fork over the money!

I'll post back with my experience once I get this implemented and I'll be sure to write a review as well if it works out ok.

7. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

great to know you liked it lolzrofl :)
    when we was working on the original version of this shader for Odallus (http://joymasher.com/) we was in São Paulo and they was in Manaus, so to make everything more ease for both of us the customizations always was the mais feature! so, we develop, make it work, and they just need to implement and cofigure the values :)

please, send screens and we will publish about your game too :D

oh!! soon we will send the new build to the asset store with some mobiles fix :D

8. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

The new version with patches and optimizations online o/

9. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

A little gift! RUN o/
    ASV-74MM-9YYH-CW3N-YY3N-MJQ7

10. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

Hello everyone!

I'm here to give a big thanks to everyone who supported us buying our OLD TV Filter o/

That's why we are working on the biggest update ever for the filter! Say hello to the OLD TV Filter 2! We recoded the entire asset to implement new features and solve many visual and performance issues we had on the first version when executed on mobiles devices and OUYA consone.

Some new features, a more flexible chromatic aberration, screen rounded corner mask, more control on the scanlines, saturation control and more!

Here some screens we take with the filter running on Windows Phone 8 device with almost no loss of performance!

Good think! If you already have the original version , you'll get the update at no extra cost!

11. beNice

beNice

12. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

beNice likes this.
  13. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

Hello again! Here a preview from the OLD TV Filter 2! OH! Unity5 ready ^^ And yes! Works on webgl too :3

We recoded everything to fix and solve lots of issues from the first version and include some new features!

- Full support for the Unity5! Including webplayer and webgl!
    - We solved the performance issue on mobiles, you have the fullfeatured filter on you IOS, Android and Windows Phone device!
    - Now you have the screen saturation propertie.
    - To make the things much more customizable every procedural effect become precalculated using a texture file.
    - Now you have a mask for the static stuff, making the things easy to create lots of new effects, like VHS.
    - We got some mails asking for just the noise or scanline filter, so, we breaked it, you have the screen filter and the tube filter!
    - As any Unity5 user (free and paid) can use the filter, we will discontinue the OLD TV Material overlay.
    - All users of the current version will get the update!

KnightRiderGuy and quantumsheep like this.
  14. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

15. samrad

samrad

Hey!

I really like this addon, it works well! But recently after upgrading to unity 5 and trying to build out to ios my screen would just render black on my iphone/ipad after launching the game. I couldn't figure out why (everything was great in the editor). after removing this addon the game worked as expected and showed. Except i lose all my cool old tv effects ... Is there anything you can think of that would cause this?

thanks!
    -Sam

16. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

Hello samrad, first question are you using the v2?
    We had lots os issues on mobile devices on the first version, and we solved (almost every) issues on this new verstion, you can update it on the Asset Manager :)

17. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

18. TimNedvyga

TimNedvyga

Hello,

How iPhone 5 and lower devices handle it? I'm trying to achieve 60 fps for my game and every solutions that I found was drop performance to 10 fps.

19. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

Hey Tim, we did a some tests on PSVita, OUYA and low end android devices with a very nice performance :) About the iPhones, we got a very awesome feedback too :D

20. Max_Bol

Max_Bol

I wish to thank you for this awesome filter!

I'm currently working on a personal project from which the player is in control of a robot.
    I'll not explain everything here, but if you though Halo, Far Cry or any other games series in which you can see your body act as something cool, what I'm working on is actually way above that.

As the player have access to multiple possible kinds of source of view to send orders (direct or indirect) to his/her robot. This include having the player seeing through camera stuck on wall in the field, using a flying scouting prop above the war zone or even seeing through the robot's own optics sensors (its "eyes"). This is where this filter really helps me in setting each of those possible points of views to look different.

For example, seeing through an old camera will have much more static and tearing while last-gen optics will have clearer image. Or zooming the robot's optic eye further than its actual optic capacity (simulated) which result in a poor rendering. (Same as if the player's robot gets its head damaged/blow and while its optic still works, its doesn't render well anymore.)

Really thank you!

VortexStudios likes this.
  21. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

Good news! I'm working on some upgrades, it is very hard to add awesome stuff and keep the shader 2 xD
    But the good news is, we got a email, this filter works on WiiU too \o/

22. boorch

boorch

Hi, great asset!
    I'm having a strange bug in my ios builds, (nothing abnormal on pc/mac builds) trying to find a way to reach devs but could not find an e-mail. How can we get in contact?

23. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

contact@vortexstudios.com ^^

24. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

Wow! just bought this as this is just absolute perfect addition for our knight Rider 2000 Dash Software called "Knight O.S." we are developing for our Knight Rider reproduction projects. Just an AMAZING asset!! Thanks for making this available :D

Attached Files:

VortexStudios likes this.
  25. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

looks awesome :D If I can use it as a GPS sure I'll install it on my iPad and glue inside my car <3
    (now I just need a car... and an iPad xD)

KnightRiderGuy and hippocoder like this.
  26. KnightRiderGuy

KnightRiderGuy

lo Absolutely. The cool thing about this is that you can basically put it in any car that has a touch screen computer system. The Arduino you can hook up to run any device you want from the interface.
    Like our FB page and stay tuned for more updates :D
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/549866535148491/

27. JHibbins

JHibbins

Is this a camera only tool or can you apply it to a 2d texture ?

28. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

I know some guys are using it on game objects to create a hologram or tv effect... but never saw the result...

29. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

the very first composite video test from OLD TV Filter 3! :D

30. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

another preview from our new old tv filter version.
    here we have the new scanline effect with a better pixel reproduction, now we have a NTSC effect too :D

31. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

32. Ayrik

Ayrik

This looks really good :D If I buy #2 do I get #3 when it becomes available?

33. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

yes \o/

and here some new pics :3

old tv filter in 4k :p

34. TimNedvyga

TimNedvyga

Just bought your asset. Got a lot of warnings when I edit OLDTV setting in inspector. It seems relate from Dark theme in Plus subscription. using Unity 2017.1.0f1

Also realy waiting for 3.0 update. That was a reason to buy your asset :)

Attached Files:

35. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

whoooo!! I've solved these warnings before, but I'll check it... but we re-coded the entire editor :)
    here a small preview from our new editor ^^ as a bonus from new editor, it's easy to create and share presets :D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  36. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

we are testing the presets, I made these :)
    we made some changes on noise effect shader, the original was doing a aditive effect, it wasn't what we want...

37. Ayrik

Ayrik

That is looking amazing. I can't wait for the update! :D

38. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

unity version is done and we are very happy with it :D
    first, it's done, but not online, yet, we had sent a version to some of our friends to get the feedback, while they are testing we now start to create some pressets, like, VHS, Composite, RGB, the old B/W tv with bad analog signal from your grandma and some others... BUT, we will try to upload to assetstore next week :D YEY!!

so, here a sceen :)

and here a video where we are testing the preset settings :)

39. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

first! the Unity version is out! go get it now! the effect is awesome and some #LDJAM game are using it right now :D
    not just that, we made extra, the OLD TV Material, so you can add the filter in the scene objects too!

you can get the Unity version here https://goo.gl/zQfHjz

by default you have access to 3 different types of scanlines masks, and it is very easy to create and share new ones!

we made the filter to give all kind of resource to make the screen looks exactly how you want, so you can enable and disable every "layer" from the filter and change the settings as you want!

when your filter is done you have a preset file ready to reuse in another project or share on with your friends \o/

for the first time, we have the OLD TV Material! now it's easy to use the filter in any scene objects without any hack or code! we made this one as a surprise and wasn't in the dev plan :3

40. Ayrik

Ayrik

I'm so excited! You've convinced me to upgrade to 2017.1 even though I lose pro :( but it'll be worth it. I'll post a screenshot when I have it all hooked up.

41. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

wi
    you can download it and install in 5.6 with no problem :)

42. Ayrik

Ayrik

Asset store says 2017.1 but it's ok I needed a few other things too this just pushed me over the edge.

43. Ayrik

Ayrik

@VortexStudios I don't have a screenshot handy but I do have two bugs I've run into and two suggestions:

Bug#1 - There is a visable diagonal line from one corner of the screen to the other.
    Bug#2 - Trying to use the distortion property for screen curvature makes the corners of the screen do some weird z-fighting looking artifact and also the center of the screen gets all distorted.

Suggestion: Add a scrolling option to the static filter. I've done it in code and it was super easy, but it seemed weird that it wasn't built-in.

Suggestion: Aspect ratio. It would be nice if I could specify an aspect ratio so the effect only runs on part of the screen. For now I have to manipulate the camera bounds or render to a texture and use the material effect which is not ideal.

Thanks! Oh, and also, when I set Time.scale = 0 it pauses the effect so it'd be nice to have an option for that too. I changed it to Update instead of FixedUpdate and used unscaledDeltaTime and it works fine but again, an option would be great!

44. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

as a request, we are re-uploading the package to unity 5.6 :)

about the bugs, can you send some screens?? we are fixing some issues, then, we try to fix these too ^^
    you can sent to contacts[at]vortexstudios[dot]com :)

about the static scrolling, we have it, it is the offset :-/

I'll check about the aspect ratio :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  45. Ayrik

Ayrik

Here is a screenshot of the distortion issue. I can't seem to repro the diagonal line though. I'll definitely take a screenshot of it if it comes back up. I'll also send my filter settings because it's probably based on something I did there.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

46. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

WHOOOO!!! this is new!!!
    there any filter in the camera or anythin in the camera??
    can you reproduce this issue in a new project too or it just happen in your game??

about the ratio, doing some tests...

47. Ayrik

Ayrik

That looks great! I'll try some things tomorrow and let you know.

48. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

aspect ratio, a new feature requested by ayrik :)

Ayrik likes this.
  49. VortexStudios

VortexStudios

a new version is online, with some fixes and requested features :)
    oh! and now you can download on unity 5.6 with no problem :D

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  50. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

Hi Nice work!

Is it possible to apply this effect to individual objects? I already have a shader I like for my objects, but am hoping to apply something like this as a post effect to individual objects.