Search Unity

[Released] Oil Paint - Image Effect

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ibuprogames, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  3. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

nice effect, please bring any kind of Post-Processing effects into unity

4. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Thanks for the comment Shkarface! In the next update I hope to support mobiles and add more controls.

shkar-noori likes this.
  5. Korindian

Korindian

Really nice, I may pick this up in the future... btw your documentation link on the asset store isn't working right now.

6. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

7. edsounddesign

edsounddesign

Hello!
    There seems to be a problem when you are using both your Vintage effects and the painting effects on the same project. They seem to make each other not work. Any ideas?

8. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Both packages are post-processing effects, and it should be able to stack. I have tried both packages (all effects of Vintage with Oil Paint) in the 2D demo with no problem. The result is pretty cool :)
    Maybe the editor log can give me some clue that what is happening. Can you send it to labs (@) ibuprogames (dot) com? Thanks!

9. edsounddesign

edsounddesign

How to I get the editor log? Sorry, I'm kinda new at this.

10. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

11. khos85

khos85

Hi, have you tested this effect with Oculus Rift yet? I am considering buying but want to use on Oculus Rift Cameras, their setup uses two cameras? Do you think any issues might occur?

12. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Unfortunately I do not have a Oculus Rift (Im waiting Valve to release theirs VR ;)). Anyway, the effect is calculated in screen space, so if the two cameras have it, should be fine (and takes twice time).

However, the two images produced it might be too different and the 3D effect could be confusing. I will do some tests and put the results here.

13. khos85

khos85

Ok many thanks for checking/running some tests.

14. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Hi khos85, after some testing, I THINK the Low mode could be used to VR. The Medium and High modes would cause too many differences between the two cameras for a correct 3D sensation.

Anyway, I sent you a private message with more information ;).

15. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

16. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

17. Alessandro-Previti

Alessandro-Previti

Hello, I'm interested in your plugin, would it be possible and relatively easy to mask the filter?

18. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Hello Alessandro. Can you explain what you mean by "mask the filter"?

Thanks.

PS: If you want you can send an email to 'hello at ibuprogames dot com'

19. Alessandro-Previti

Alessandro-Previti

Hello, sorry for the late answer. I have a scene featuring objects with photographic textures, some of them are 3d models, some are sprites, I would like to brush the background and leave the objects untouched by the filter. Do you think that would be possible to mask the paint filter somehow?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  20. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

You mean a selective effect. Uhmm, is not something we plan to do, but if you need we can try.

21. Alessandro-Previti

Alessandro-Previti

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I'm working on a project in wich I use a path plugin to "draw" brush strokes around and behind photo-textured objects, I make smart use sorting layers to achieve the effect of a dirty painting with glued photographs on top.
    The technique works, but it's not the most comfortable, that's why I put an eye on your Asset.
    Your asset looks amazing, there is just one competitor on the asset store but it doesn't look half as good!

The problem is that, without selectiveness, it is unfit for my purpose; generally, if I can suggest, the asset would be much more useful if it was possible to selectively chose the amount of processing in certain areas;
    Any good impressionistic painting has higher details in some objects, less in others, it's a way for artists to focus the attention of the viewer and to give details to what is really important. Skyward Sword "brushes" just what's is far away, some sort d.o.f. but it's limited, thus closely object are non processed.

Selective-amount filtering would solve the problem of focus and details, behind the choice of many of avoiding a brush effect on a game.

Though, I understand it might not be easy to implement, I would like to ask if you think it might be possible at all.

22. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

We can try. Please send us an email to hello (at) ibuprogames (dot) com and we talk ;).

23. lazygunn

lazygunn

This is using kuwahara filtering right? If so have you taken a look at the work of kypranidis et al on anisotropic kuwahara along with coherence enhancing shock filtering (also on his sitehttp://www.kyprianidis.com/p/gpupro/ - implementation of some of his work would get my interest

one_one likes this.
  24. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

That's right, we use the Kuwahara filter (a similar version). Unfortunately, this site is "temporarily unavailable." and I find no references to Kypranidis :(. Do you know some other web?

25. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hey, you'll find an implementation and source here https://code.google.com/p/gpuakf/ I think you'll like it (I'm genuinely surprised you haven't heard of kypranidis). It might be costly but it's pretty

Coherence enhancing shock filters are here https://code.google.com/p/cefabs/

Uses cuda and very heavy but pretty amazing looking

You might like https://code.google.com/p/xdog-demo/ too, also heavy but very interesting. I don't know why his site is down. He's probably one of the most significant contributors to npr imaging I can think of

26. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Wow :eek:! many interesting things to see! Thank you very much Lazygunn for the information :oops:!

Maybe we could expand the package with more NPR effects :cool:.

hopeful likes this.
  27. lazygunn

lazygunn

Just be sure to chuck me a copy, naturally aha

28. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

I wonder if it is possible to combine this effect with Depth of Field?

So the painted image effect will work on only screen areas which are far away (Blurred by the Depth of Field).

29. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Uhm... it could be a very interesting effect. Can you write to hello@ibuprogames.com to tell us in more detail what you want to achieve?

Thanks!

30. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

As someone who studied painting, I usually start with a few huge strokes as a sketch.

And objects that is closer (Usually the primary object of focus), will be given a few additional detail strokes as necessary.

This will give similar result to the depth of field, except that it will actually have its own "Sketchy hinted silhouette-kind of look" instead of a fully "Blurred" image as in the regular depth of field.

As an example, (Wrapped in code to preserve the time skip)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. https://youtu.be/VMvqK8pQ3SY?t=292
    You will notice that the background are few simple huge brush strokes, as in contrast to the character's detailed look, which is composed with more brush strokes to imply its depth.

Pretty similar to this

Except that its not "Blurry", but "Painted only its silhouette undetailed strokes".

31. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

I think it could work using Deferred renderer (it will be quite expensive...).

I will test and put the results here.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Gekigengar!

32. lazygunn

lazygunn

I think they basically mean the effect intensity is increased via image depth, maybe with the threshold controlled with a slider

33. Gruguir

Gruguir

Hey @Ibuprogames i'd like to know if by any chances :
    - Is it compatible with single pass stereo rendering VR
    - Can it now use depth value for effect at distance (like discussed earlier)
    Thanks for your time, and i could consider buying if you need a tester while implementing (single pass stereo is mendatory for my project)

34. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

35. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

Any chance I can get this working in VR? The performance hit when the setting is too much to maintain 90fps. It also doesn't support Singlepass rendering. Lastly, layered mode doesn't seem to work with particle effects.

36. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Hi Rave-TZ, I recently bought a Google DayDream glasses, I will try to support VR (and SinglePass).

About the particles, can you write to our email 'hello (at) ibuprogames (dot) com' and tell us more about it?

Thanks!

37. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

38. Mikekan13

Mikekan13

I like the effect, but in VR I am having trouble with the layer modes.

39. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

I just answered you by email.

Thanks.

40. KriYorDev

KriYorDev

How optimised would you say this asset is for mobile devices if the used sprites are only simple colors?
    Also what if it is used on max intensity and so on.

41. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Hi Kriyordev, Oil Paint performs a quite expensive processing. I would not recommend using it if you want to target low-end mobile devices.

42. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

43. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Version 2.3 in the store:

• Added Symmetric Nearest Neighbour filter.
    • Update to Unity 2019 and higher.
    • Improvements and fixes.

44. Aetherial87

Aetherial87

Hi there! Nice work on the filter, has a good look going. I'm interested in yours especially due to the "layer mode" feature as I haven't seen anything else offer that. I wanted to take a peek and see how it looks in realtime but the layer mode doesn't seem to be working on your demo. Tried on Edge & Firefox, haha.

45. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Hi DragonShadow, it seems that the 'layer' mode does not work in the online demo... I'm going to try to fix it quickly.

46. NZNumnum

NZNumnum

Not sure if related to the above issue, but I also can't seem to get the layer mode to actually do anything in my project (Both the demo scene and new scene in a brand new project). I am using 2019.3.1f1.

47. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Hi, NZNumnum. Im working to solve this problem in WebGL. Can you send me the log file to hello@ibuprogames.com?

Thanks.