Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Released MissingScriptHero - Finding missing script references the easy way!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by marijnz, Oct 14, 2014.

1. marijnz

marijnz

Hello everybody!

Most of you probably have had the issue of the missing script reference warnings. I experienced that sometimes it's rather hard to get a grip on all those missing script references during run-time and it requires quite some work to get rid of them. Because of this issue, MissingScriptHero came up.

So what it does, is basically finding all missing script references in the project and listing them conveniently.
    Also, if it's added to the project since the beginning of development and Asset Serialization is set to "Force Text", it will also show the names of the missing scripts.

I hope the plugin can ease the development process of your game(s), that's where I made it for! Of course I'm interested in your thoughts about it.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/22244

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. SteveB

SteveB

Wow purchased instantly!

Good job man and cheers!

-Steven

3. marijnz

marijnz

Thank you! Very happy to hear :)

4. marijnz

marijnz

The promotional material has been updated, it's now way more attractive and informative!

For example, the new icon:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  5. marijnz

marijnz

Been a couple of weeks, got a decent amount of sales but sadly no reviews yet. I'm interested in your opinions!

6. marijnz

marijnz

7. rcalt2vt

rcalt2vt

Handy utility, needs a few fixes though:
    1. Causes Unity Editor to run out of memory on large projects.
      1. You need to run UnityEngine.Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets() to clean up the GameObjects you load.
      2. I'm only guessing at this part, but the string returned from ScanHelper.ReadFile is too large to property be parsed in the case of large scene files with lots of script references.
    2. You are using Directory.GetFiles("./" frequently to grab files you care about, however those files exist only in the Assets directory, these should be changed to Directory.GetFiles("./Assets" instead as to not parse directories that have no impact on the project.

8. marijnz

marijnz

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Will definitely get to them as soon I got the time (will probably be next week, on a conference the coming days)
    1. Tried testing it on fairly large projects, guess they were not large enough :) Will take a look at it and fix it.
    2. Thanks for pointing out, never realized.

9. marijnz

marijnz

About this one, I tried simulating a very large project, using lots of huge scenes and prefabs, but didn't get any memory issues. Could you elaborate on the problem, and perhaps give some more details about what kind of project you're working on?