Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Master Audio - AAA Sound Solution. #1 audio plugin on Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dark_tonic, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jerotas

jerotas

I'll send you the whole file if you email me with your invoice (brianh@darktonic.com). I got the error and made it go away on my machine. You probably either did it wrong or are getting a slightly different error that looks the same.

2. HaroldBalls

HaroldBalls

sorry, I inserted the code properly....its working...I just need to actually read the instructions :)

3. jerotas

jerotas

No worries, glad to hear that :)

4. HaroldBalls

HaroldBalls

hey Jerotas! That fix worked pretty well for getting rid of the dictionary errors, but now sound is cutting out a lot, or playing really late....any idea what might cause that? also, is there a way to get an older version so i can roll back if need be? I'll be showing the game in a few days and it might be a good last resort.

also! I'm seeing a lot of:

Could not locate group ''.

in the xcode log while I play

Thanks,

Ben

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  5. jerotas

jerotas

No, no idea. You can delete your DarkTonic folder and re-download from the Asset Store. If you can send me something that reproduces the problem, I can take a look. I can't reproduce over here. Platform doesn't matter. If it works in Unity editor, it will work on device. If you don't see those XCode messages in Unity, I can't explain it. Those sorts of messages should only appear when using a Dynamic SGC and it hasn't initialized yet. Or if you are in fact trying to play a Sound Group that's not in MA at that moment.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  6. jerotas

jerotas

HaroldBalls: Based on what I had to do to reproduce that first bug, I get the feeling that you are using Resource files for sounds that will be played very often. Is that true? That's not a good idea because it will take up CPU to be loading and unloading them all the time. Maybe that particular sound should be set up as an Audio clip and not a Resource file?

7. HaroldBalls

HaroldBalls

Interesting. I can change that. This worked really well in the last version I had, Has something changed that would cause this now?

8. jerotas

jerotas

Not that I know of. Unless you're just playing that sound much more often recently due to your own code or game change.

9. HaroldBalls

HaroldBalls

everything is exactly the same, I just deleted the dark tonic folder, and upgraded....now there is a lot of

Could not locate group ''

spam in the xcode window when sounds are playing...there wasn't any before

10. jerotas

jerotas

Well those should also be appearing in the console window inside Unity then. Not just in XCode. Unless you have iOS specific code running that doesn't run in Unity (like if your main dev computer is a PC).

Anyway I can't reproduce that problem (never heard of it either) and I have no way to troubleshoot. I can't use your XCode. So I suggest you figure out how to reproduce it inside Unity and send me something that breaks it like that.

Sorry I can't be of more help. If you'd like to paste the entire message including line numbers I can look at the code.

11. jerotas

jerotas

I found the "cut off" problem. Hopefully it's an easy fix. Stay tuned.

12. jerotas

jerotas

Yes, fixed the cut off problem Harold Balls. I'll do a hotfix version tonight for all this (also saw that a couple features didn't work on Unity 4.5.5 - fixed that too).

13. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio V 3.5.6.1 will be live in 20 minutes. Changelog:

• Updated DF-GUI package. It didn't compile after Custom Events upgrade.
    • Fixed bug where playing many of the same Resource file at the same time would log an error in the console.
    • Fixed ducking error with Resource clips that are stopping.
    • Fixed bug where playing more than one of a single Resource file when all Variations are already busy would cut off the rest except one.
    • Now works properly in Unity 4.5.5, 2 features didn't. (I hate that I have to keep adding these versions inside, but I do until we get to Unity 5, because we support 4.3 with some optional features).

14. srmojuze

srmojuze

Hi all, thought I'd share this, please check out the playable demo and the second "explanation" video as well, it's a preview of how MasterAudio™ can be used to change the music in your game in response to game intensity, player journey, etc. If you do buy MojuMusic™ on the Asset Store, you'll find bonus 14 Synkro™-compatible loops. Cheers :)

Buy On Asset Store: http://u3d.as/content/mobile-juze-pty-ltd/moju-music-vocal-mystique-pack-1
    Demo: http://mojuze.com/assets_mojumusic_demo.php
    Video Preview Of All Included Tracks: (see above)
    How-To Example: (see above)

15. jerotas

jerotas

srmojuze, that's excellent stuff! Keep up the great work.

srmojuze likes this.
  16. srmojuze

srmojuze

Thanks...! :)

17. BortStudios

BortStudios

Maybe I'm missing something that's simple, but I'm looking for a way to load new audio clips into a sound group during runtime. Currently, I can locate a .wav file on a computer and convert it to a audioclip in Unity (during runtime), and can even put the audioclip on an sudiosource. I just can't find a way to use the clip with Master Audio.

Admittedly, I am having trouble with understanding the dynamic creation of sound groups function, but from what I've gathered it is for creating new sound groups every scene, which isn't really what I need. I have 10 "slots" that the player can load different .wav's into and then play back in the game, so I should only need 10 sound groups (or one with ten variations? would that be better?), one for each slot, and they should only need to be created once in the game and then never touched again (save for changing what clip they're playing)

What would be the best solution for this with this program?

18. jerotas

jerotas

Correct, Dynamic SGC's are for creating new Sound Groups, not modifying existing ones. However, there's no reason that you can't use those and *always* create the Sound Groups (don't create them in Master Audio prefab), after populating the DSGC with whatever you like and telling it to CreateItems manually when you're done with that. That's probably a good way to go. To change what clips are played later in the game, you'll need to RemoveItems (causes the Groups created by the DSGC to be deleted) on the DSGC and then spawn a new DSGC with the new sounds so they get created in the MA prefab again.

As to whether one Group or 10 Groups is better, it depends whether you need additional variations or other Group functionality for any of those sounds. Do you need looped chain / volume control / mute / solo functionality over individual sounds? If so, use 10 Groups. If not, you could use 10 Variations of a single Group. There's no downside to using 10 Groups though, so you might just do it that way in case you want some Group features later.

19. BortStudios

BortStudios

I'm sorry, I can't figure out how to use the DSGC. I can only find one function in it, the CreateItems one, which puts the groups in the DSGC into the main object? How exactly would I use it for this purpose?

Also, I've found the CreateGroupvariationFromClip function, which is working really well, except for I can't delete variations as I overwrite them with new ones. Is it possible to delete variations? I assume it is since I can create them in the game. Really if it is, this would be the best solution for me, I think

20. jerotas

jerotas

Yes, there's only two functions: CreateItems and RemoveItems. Normally those are called automatically when the DSGC prefab becomes enabled or disabled, but you can turn that part off and call it manually. So you'd have to set up your empty Sound Groups in the DGSC, then spawn it (or just have it in the Scene), then change (assign) the clips in the DSGC via code, then call CreateItems after - that's what I was proposing. There's no nice way to change the clips in it via script, so you'll need to use the Unity API to get to the right Audio Sources and change them or use a bunch of public Audio Source fields in your script and drag each one into the Inspector - something like that.

Unfortunately there's no way to delete a Variation because it could create weird problems and memory leaks as well. But you can delete the Sound Group with the "RemoveSoundGroup" method and then create it again with different Variations if you like.

21. jerotas

jerotas

Users, can some of you please go to this thread and say "yes this is important, please add" or something like that?
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/i-need-to-ask-a-question-about-unity-5-beta-which-i-have.276139/

It will make Master Audio better and quicker to use if they add this feature. It's about the custom rolloff part of Audio Source that currently has no script access. How does it affect you currently? Well there's no point assigning custom curves to a Dynamic Sound Group Creator, because they cannot be copied into Master Audio when it populates it. So you'd be stuck with a single rolloff curve for all Groups in the DSGC.

There's also another upcoming "organizer" feature that will have the same problem.

22. HaroldBalls

HaroldBalls

thanks for the Fixes jerotas! ill give them a go tomorrow morning :)

23. jerotas

jerotas

You're welcome HaroldBalls :)

More fixes and features are coming real soon.

24. jerotas

jerotas

25. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio V 3.5.6.2 will be live in 20 minutes (Organizer feature below is a HUGE time-saver!). Changelog:
    • Added Sort Alpha, Expand / Collapse All buttons to Custom Events section.
    • Changed function of Expand and Collapse buttons above list of Playlists. Now it only collapses or expands the Playlist itself, not the songs in it.
    • Added Sort Alpha, Expand / Collapse All button for songs in each Playlist.
    • Added Song Started and Song Changed custom event dropdowns to each song in each Playlist. Now you can configure stingers per song. Song Changed does not work with gapless transitions, the UI says this clearly.
    • Added missing (normal) "Default Single" Sound Group Template and selected it as the default.
    • Added Sound Group Organizer prefab (create one from the Master Audio Manager window). This is like a "Super" Master Audio prefab that you should only ever keep in a Sandbox Scene (not ever played) because of audio memory usage considerations. You can use it to import Sound Groups to and from Master Audio and Dynamic Sound Group Creator game objects in the current Scene. This allows you to keep a master list of all Sound Groups and quickly copy them to Scenes you need them in. You can also use it to transfer Groups from MA to Dynamic SGC objects and vice versa. To use it, you will need to make your own prefab (drag into Project View) out of the one created from the Master Audio Manager window. To import Groups, you have to put it in the Scene you're importing from (Unity limitation). Then you can apply changes to the prefab and remove it from the Scene. Bus settings are not copied into Organizer.
    • Added settings icon for MA and Organizer prefab into Master Audio Manager window to quickly go to them.
    • Fixed bug: The previewer Audio Sources that appear for DGSC, MA and Organizer prefabs are now pulled from the template Audio Source so volumes are the same. Problem was with custom rolloff not being script accessible. Now we "copy / paste component" via script.
    • Fixed problem (not really bug, we had to go around Unity API limitation): Audio Source copying between DSGC / MA / Sound Group Organizer didn't copy custom rolloff curve.
    • Made bus voice "Dialog Mode" setting now work for any voice limit, not just 1 voice. The checkbox on the bus has been renamed to "Stop Oldest", and it now stops the oldest playing sound when you play a new one and the bus voice limit has been reached. Now much more flexible!
    • Note: please re-set your "Dialog Mode" checkbox on any buses. The change above will not keep any settings you had for this. The checkbox is now called "Stop Oldest".

26. Arcanor

Arcanor

when importing the latest release into an existing project I am getting this error:

27. DoomSamurai

DoomSamurai

Hi!

I have an ArgumentNullException caused by an Eventsounds component. My EventSounds basically just stops all playlists when I enter my lobby and starts a new Playlist in a specific PlaylistController. The error is at line 978 in PlaylistController.cs and happens when trying to stop the current playlists.

This does not impact my game much since the playlists do stop and my new playlist starts as required but the error message is annoying. If I did something wrong just let me know but I think this is just a matter of checking if the audioclip is null at line 978.

28. jerotas

jerotas

Went through this last night with someone. Please delete the entire DarkTonic folder, then re-import. It will work.

29. schmosef

schmosef

I updated to the latest version today.

I'm using the Unity 4.6 beta and found I had to update some of the #IF blocks to include Unity_4_6.

Just an fyi.

Thanks for the great asset.

30. jerotas

jerotas

Which ones did you need to put in (where)? I know I already put in UNITY_4_6 in some places.

31. schmosef

schmosef

There were four places, all in the same class.

From the Console log errors:

Assets/DarkTonic/MasterAudio/Editor/SoundGroupOrganizerInspector.cs(736,74)
    Assets/DarkTonic/MasterAudio/Editor/SoundGroupOrganizerInspector.cs(879,74)
    Assets/DarkTonic/MasterAudio/Editor/SoundGroupOrganizerInspector.cs(1028,74)
    Assets/DarkTonic/MasterAudio/Editor/SoundGroupOrganizerInspector.cs(1177,74)

The errors were all: "`UnityEngine.AudioSource' does not contain a definition for `panStereo' and no extension method `panStereo' of type `UnityEngine.AudioSource' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

32. Revelation_Jeff

Revelation_Jeff

Hello Andreas Busk, Yes there is a way to do what you're asking in Master Audio without coding. Simply add an "OnTriggerExit" Event and Select "Group Control" and then Select "Mute" and then Select your Door squeak File. As you Enter the Trigger, this will play your sound and upon Exit of the Trigger will Mute it preventing it from playing again without the Open Animation.

33. jerotas

jerotas

Can you show me what line 978 is? I'm not sure if you're on the absolute latest or not. Or let me know how to reproduce the error. I have been unable to so far.

34. jerotas

jerotas

Excellent, I'll fix those tonight!

35. jerotas

jerotas

Change of plans. Halloween sale of FREE for our brand new plugin Pool Boss! First 250 downloads only.

Regular price will be $15. It is included in Core GameKit, so if you already have that, no point getting Pool Boss. If you want a standalone pooling plugin, this is the one to beat!

Link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/23931

36. DoomSamurai

DoomSamurai

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void RemoveScheduledClip() {
    2.         scheduledSongsByAudioSource.Remove(audioClip);
    3.     }
    Apparently, audioClip is null. My setup is I have three PlaylistControllers in my starting scene. When my startup process is done I load the Lobby scene which has an object with an EventSound script. This EventSound stops 2 of those playlists and starts the third. I have to stop 2 of them because I use them for the game scene's music and when a game ends I'm sent back to the lobby. The bug occurs when the first 2 playlists are stopped.

I'm using the latest version of MasterAudio. Am I doing something wrong?

37. jerotas

jerotas

I'll add that null check, but I want to be sure that you really need 3 Playlist Controllers. Normally you'll only need more than one if you're layering music. You can always change the Playlist inside a single Controller at any time.

38. DoomSamurai

DoomSamurai

Yeah we use layers :) Is there some overhead on having multiple PlaylistControllers?

39. jerotas

jerotas

Some, not a tremendous amount. Just wanted to make sure you needed them.

40. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio is now on sale for $45 (40% off) for a limited time (regular price $75). Our popular Core GameKit plugin is also 40% off currently!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  41. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, I've got a new video recording program which looks like it's working perfect!

So please suggest some tutorial videos you'd like me to make. I prefer to make a bunch of short ones instead of a very long one.

schmosef likes this.
  42. SteveB

SteveB

So wait Jerotas...

...safe to assume that the SoundGroupOrganizerInspector.cs fix isn't live yet?

43. jerotas

jerotas

I'll post the update tonight.

44. SteveB

SteveB

Wonderful thank you (sheesh I'm impressed with you guys) :D

45. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio V 3.5.6.3 will be live in 20 minutes. Changelog:
    • Fixed bug where negative random volume wasn't allowed after we added the dB scale option.
    • Fixed Unity 4.6 compile errors.
    • Fixed occasional bug on PlaylistController scheduling.

46. jerotas

jerotas

No problem :D

47. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, listen up users. Some new information I just came into running the Profiler and reading.

A single call to AudioSource.Play() with an mp3 file will take about 2.4ms. Whereas AudioSource.Play with a wav file takes about 0.02 seconds. So be very sure to not use mp3's for sound effects! It can drastically affect your framerate! For playlists it's fine because you don't fire off 10 or more a second like sound effects.

I will be adding this to the readme under Audio Memory Allocations / Performance Tips section.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    DoomSamurai likes this.
  48. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks for the tip.

49. jerotas

jerotas

Any time schmosef.

50. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi Brian

I wanted to check on the best way of using MA to play 2D sounds?

Essentially I have a racing game and use MA to play 3D sounds, but there are also sounds that I want to play that are simple stereo sounds in 2D (e.g. in a menu overlay)

If I play these using PlaySoundAndForget() they are located at the position of the MA prefab in the scene which is at (0,0,0) by default, so instead my current solution is to have the MA prefab as a child of the camera.

Is there a better way to handle this? ... because when I use this approach if I have Doppler in Audio Settings set to anything other than 0, I sometimes get inconsistencies and strange sounds.

I tried playing the sounds at the position of the camera, but I am not sure if this is the best way to achieve what I want.

Hope this makes sense, and any help gladly appreciated.

cheers

Nalin