Search Unity

[Released] Ixion DecimatorRT - Editor/Runtime mesh optimisation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by whydoidoit, Jul 19, 2014.

1. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

Announcing the release of Ixion DecimatorRT a tool that optimises and simplifies meshes in the editor and at runtime.

Using Ixion DecimatorRT you can:

• Optimise and simplify meshes in the Editor
    • Create multiple and bake multiple LODs for characters and objects
    • Decimate meshes by maximum error or target number of faces
    • Weight sub meshes and Zones to protect areas of the model or mark them for additional simplification
    • Create LOD levels at run time
    • Optimise procedurally generated meshes
    DecimatorRT is available on the Asset Store for US$60.

Here's a video of it in action:

Please note that in the video you see a DAZ model with multiple sub meshes being decimated. DecimatorRT respects outer edges of models to ensure that submeshes fit together after decimation which means that seams are not decimated. Single mesh models can be more effectively processed because they do not have this limitation.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. IndieLegion

IndieLegion

Nice work! I can see this being very handy to use within the editor.

What's the performance like at runtime?

3. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

It depends on how much you decimate and how complex the mesh is of course.

It would be suitable for running during level set up, but not suitable for running while the game is playing.

The next version group (0.8) will be running the decimation on a second thread which will help.

4. imtrobin

imtrobin

The runtime decimation is interesting. Can you make demo apk to test performance, and show wireframe of decimation result

5. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

That's a good idea. I'm travelling for the next day, but I'll certainly get around to it shortly...

6. pansapiens

pansapiens

Cool - just bought it (I'd started porting some mesh simplification code a while back but never finished it - at this price it's a no-brainer to just use yours). I'm mostly interested in using it from code. One suggestion: maybe use a namespace ?

7. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

Agreed, will add a namespace during the 0.8 release cycle

8. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

Version 0.77 available - fixes a bug in Zones and removes problems with ambiguity around the Decimate method that takes a float by adding DecimateByError.

0.8 in submission process - new triangle balancing method and ability to switch methods used to assess triangle importance.

9. axelz58

axelz58

Can you save the decimated mesh or you need the script attached to the mesh in order to keep the poly count low?
    Or is it replaced with the decimated version as soon as u hit 'decimate' button?

10. kenshin

kenshin

Great job!
    Please, can you provide a little runtime demo in webplayer or at least a video of realtime optimizations?

Thanks!

11. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

Haven't seen a response for this in a while, is this still being supported / developed?

I also have the same question as @axelz58 . Having a new mesh or prefab created would be HUGE in comparison to another solution, also with this price makes this seem highly valuable.

Also I like @kenshin would also like to see some sort of web demo of before and after models as well as optimization.

12. Sir-Spunky

Sir-Spunky

Is anyone using this? How well does it work in runtime? I really like the idea.

Also, does it support skinned meshes?

13. Nifflas

Nifflas

I may need DecimatorRT. Does it come with a method I can call in order to decimate an arbitrary mesh that's not attached to a component? In that case, it does what I need and I'll get it! :)