Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] iOS for Unity UI - iOS User Interface Design for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Greg-Bassett, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

BETA 0.2 IS NOW AVAILABLE - FEB 1ST 2017

iOS User Interface Design for Unity

iOS for Unity UI comprises of a number of iOS UI Elements which can be used to create native appearance iOS applications.

What can I do with iOS for Unity UI?

Take a look at a web player demo of a mock up of the iOS Settings app created with iOS for Unity UI.

Webplayer Demo

And checkout the YouTube showing how this was created:

HOW TO: iOS Settings App Mock-Up

iOS for Unity UI can be used to create native appearance applications on any iOS device, or be used to produce mock-ups to show to clients that can be published as Web Player or Standalone applications.

iOS for Unity UI can be used to create Universal iOS applications, with support for all iOS devices, including iPod Touch, iPhone’s (including 6 and 6+) and iPad’s.

What does it contain?

iOS for Unity UI contains a large number of iOS UI Elements, each of which is listed below and also linked to YouTube’s covering each in detail.

UIPanel

Tab Bar

Navigation Bar

Tool Bar

Segmented Control

Table View & Table View Item

Button

Label

Switch

Text

Popup Message & Message Box

More being added regularly...

Also take a look at the following YouTube:

Combining iOS UI Elements with 3D Content

Technical Specifications

- Does NOT require Unity Pro
    - Tested on Standalone, Web Player, and iOS
    - Source code included
    - Optimized for great performance
    - PDF Documentation

Links

Publisher's Website

Documentation

Online User Guide

Get Support!

What are our plans for the future?

Although iOS for Unity UI includes a large number of iOS UI Elements allowing you to start creating engaging and exciting native appearance applications straight away, it is still currently a BETA product, and as such has many new additions and features to be added over the coming months.

Your input and feedback is encouraged to help make iOS for Unity UI the best asset it can be!

Whilst iOS for Unity UI is in BETA it will be available at this reduced price!

Anything else I should know before buying?

Make sure to read the Online User Guide about the iOS UI Elements that interest you the most.

Looking forward to working together,
    A-Lab Software - developer of iOS for Unity UI

teaser1.png teaser2.png teaser3.png teaser4.png

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    zwcloud, tvalleau, mimminito and 4 others like this.
  2. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all,

Thanks to all those that have Liked my initial post!

Here is a link to a first webplayer demo, its a simple partial clone of the Settings app on the iPhone, made with my new asset iOS for Unity UI using the new Unity4.6 UI.

It only took a few minutes to create, and I will be producing a short YouTube tutorial over the weekend showing how I used my new asset to create the webplayer demo.

http://www.alabsoft.com/iOSforUnityUI/Test001.html

The status bar is just a placeholder, when the project is built and published on an iOS device the real status bar would be displayed, of course you can create apps that hide the status bar, and my asset will detect that you have hidden the status bar in the Player Settings and move the Navigation or Tool bars to the top of the screen automatically, and resize other controls such as Tableview or Tab View accordingly.

I have spent a lot of time coding for all the iOS resolutions and orientations, and iOS for Unity UI enables you to create iPhone or iPad interfaces with ease, you can even create Universal apps! You can test all resolutions in the Editor to make sure your UI will look perfect before publishing to the device!

Also, note that when you select Wi-Fi and enable the switch control in the webplayer demo, when you click back to the main Settings screen the label will be updated to reflect the change, now saying 'On', in the YouTube I will produce over the weekend you will see how easy it is to link the components together to access and pass data between themselves and also within your Unity project with any other GameObject or component.

Finally, transitions between screens is also very easy to configure with iOS for Unity UI, I will show you how easy it was to setup the Wi-Fi screen to slide in from the right when selected on the Settings screen.

Thanks again for your interest in my new Asset, and please comment and offer your feedback and thoughts!

Have a good weekend all! :)

3. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

I like it quite a lot, I'm just a little bit concerned that apple might not accept apps that have a UI really similar to the iOs one but not exactly the same (I mean the UI elements they provide through XCode). For example, in the last screen you showed, the gray line under Wi-Fi should go all the way from the left to the right of the screen. I don't know this for sure, I'm just guessing, because I know apple is a bit bitchy and they might think "This UI that looks similar to ours might confuse some people into thinking we designed it, and if it's not 100% perfect, that person will think that apple did a sloppy job in creating the ui".

4. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi Joni,

Many thanks for your comments, I hear what you are saying, however many apps have UI's that look like standard iOS apps, but use very different colours from the standards and also have additional custom gui elements, so I do not foresee any issues.

With regard to the gray line you mentioned, this is an option of the Table View Item gui element I have created, and the line can be set to 3/4 length or full length via the Inspector.

My YouTube tutorial is currently uploading and will be ready in the next few hours, this will give you a better idea of how my asset can be used and works.

I will post a link when its published...

5. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

YouTube now published... see how to use iOS for Unity UI to create the web player demo above.

6. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all,

iOS for Unity UI is nearing completion, and I have started creating the documentation which for the main part is in the form of online video tutorial lessons.

Each tutorial lesson will demonstrate the individual iOS GUI Elements included with iOS for Unity UI, and I will be posting more over the coming week.

This lesson covers the UIPanel.

Also, why not take a look at a web player demo of a mock up of the iOS Settings app created with iOS for Unity UI.
    http://www.alabsoft.com/iOSforUnityUI/Test001.html

And checkout the following YouTube video showing how this was created:

7. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi again,

I have just posted the next video in my tutorial series showing how to use each of the iOS GUI Elements included with my upcoming Unity Asset called iOS for Unity UI, and I will be posting more over the coming week.

This lesson covers the Tab Bar.

8. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi,

I have just posted the next video in my tutorial series showing how to use each of the iOS GUI Elements included with my upcoming Unity Asset called iOS for Unity UI, and I will be posting more over the coming week.

This lesson covers the Navigation Bar.

9. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all!

This lesson covers the Tool Bar.

10. tvalleau

tvalleau

Greg... I'm really looking forward to your releasing this. I already have a "traditional" app created with Unity on the appStore, and I had to jump thru a lot of hoops, and make several compromises in design to get it working.

You can count on me for one sale ! :)

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  11. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi tvalleau,

Thank you so much for your support! :) It means a lot!

I am hoping to have a BETA release submitted to the Asset Store by the end of January with any luck.

I am still busy finishing off my asset and also creating the video tutorial series of lessons covering each iOS UI Element that makes up my asset.

In fact, I added lessons 6 & 7 today covering the Segmented Control and the Image, please check them out below:

12. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all!

This lesson covers the Table View and Table View Item.

13. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all!

This lesson covers the Button.

14. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi,

This lesson covers the Label.

15. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi,

I only have 3 videos left to publish in the series following this one, and then I will be packaging up my asset and submitting it to the Asset Store. :)

This lesson covers the Switch.

16. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi again,

This lesson covers the Text iOS UI Element.

17. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

iOS for Unity UI BETA v0.1 is now submitted to the Asset Store pending review! :D

I have updated the first post which now includes lots of information about iOS for Unity UI.

Thanks for looking! :)

DMeville likes this.
  18. AkiraRaptor

AkiraRaptor

Hi Greg,

Looking forward to the release of your Asset.

I do have a question on the Table View and Table View Items.

Will you have documentation or examples on creating Tables and Custom Table View Items in code and not in the editor?

I'd like to generate the Table View from data coming from a web service/XML, so it would be built at runtime and not in the editor like your example videos show.

Can't wait for the release! Thanks.

19. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi AkiraRaptor!

Thanks for your interest in my Asset, with regards to examples on creating Tables and Table View Items from code, this is top of my to do list, and I will post a new tutorial on YouTube this coming week!

BTW, take a look at my next post... ;)

20. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

iOS for Unity UI has just been approved and is now available in the Unity Asset Store! http://u3d.as/buo

Looking forwards to developing my asset over the coming weeks! Thanks to all for your input and encouragement! :)

21. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Firstly, thanks to those that have purchased my new asset already! :)

Secondly, I wanted to let you know that I will start posting dev updates over the coming weeks as to what I am working on next for iOS for Unity UI.

As well as producing a tutorial video on how to implement iOS UI Elements at runtime, I am also starting work on an important UI Element that features on the iPhone6 and iPad devices.

The Spit View Controller!

22. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Who would like me to add a cut-down DEMO version of iOS for Unity UI to the Asset Store and make it FREE?

If so, what features would you like in the cut-down DEMO?

DMeville likes this.
  23. AkiraRaptor

AkiraRaptor

Hi Greg,

Any update on the new tutorial on creating Tables and Table View Items from code?

Thanks!

24. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi
    Hi AkiraRaptor, yes things got a bit busy last week so I did not get a chance to complete the video tutorial, will get it finished this week for you. Apologies for the delay!

Greg

25. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi AkiraRaptor,

Here is a code snippet from my upcoming video tutorial that shows you how to create TableViewItems at runtime.
    Code (csharp):
    1.    GameObject TableViewGO;
    3.    public void AddTableViewItem(){
    5.       GameObject TableViewContainer = TableViewGO.transform.FindChild("TableViewContainer").gameObject;
    7.       GameObject TableViewItem;
    8.       TableViewItem = Instantiate(Resources.Load("Prefabs/TableViewItem")) as GameObject;
    10.       TableViewItem.transform.SetParent(TableViewContainer.transform, true);
    11.       TableViewItem.name = "TableViewItem";
    13.       TableViewItem.GetComponent<RectTransform>().sizeDelta = new Vector2(TableViewItem.GetComponent<RectTransform>().rect.width, 81f);
    14.       TableViewItem.GetComponent<RectTransform>().anchoredPosition = new Vector3(0f, (TableViewContainer.transform.childCount-1) * -81f, 0f);
    15.       TableViewItem.GetComponent<RectTransform>().localScale = new Vector3(1f, 1f, 1f);
    17.    }

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  26. tsubaki_t1

tsubaki_t1

HI, Can I use iOS for Unity UI in Unity 5?
    I got Online User Guide but I can't found unity5 procedure.

Thanks,

27. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi tsubaki_t1,

iOS for Unity UI is compatible with Unity 5, when it imports Unity 5 will update some out of date API commands, and it works fine!

I have however submitted a Unity 5 version of iOS for Unity UI, which is awaiting approval by the Unity Asset Store team, should be approved very soon! :)

28. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

The Unity Asset Store Team have approved my update to make iOS for Unity UI compatible with Unity5! :)

29. cl9-2

cl9-2

This would be perfect for Android. Does iOS to UnityUI include Android support?

Thanks

30. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Just wondering why would you want to create an app that's gui interface looks like a native iOS app on an Android device? interesting...

mimminito likes this.
  31. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

All, some users of Unity5 using iOS for Unity UI have reported issues with tags not importing into a new project. iOS for Unity UI uses the tags to determine which iOS UI element its dealing with, so its important the tags exist in the project. I believe the missing tags is a Unity issue, rather than a problem with my asset.

Anyway's, a workaround that seems to work, is to import iOS for Unity UI into a new project in Unity5, and then open one of the demo scenes.

Then start a new scene and start adding iOS UI elements and all the tags appear to then be present and everything works as desired.

If anyone is still having issues after trying the above, then please do not hesitate to contact me.

32. oswaldReality

oswaldReality

Hi.
    The UI Panels provide a function to switch from one to another with buttoms?
    Do you have any example of that?

33. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Yes, I will post an example later when on my computer.

34. oswaldReality

oswaldReality

from may 23 to may 30, and I still waiting.

35. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Apologies, I will add an example tomorrow, its late in UK now... once again apologies for the delay!

36. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

OK, again apologies for the delay, been a busy few weeks! o_O

Here is what you need to do, add your UIPanel's to the scene, and add a button to the rootUIPanel.

Next in the Hierarchy drag the rootUIPanel GameObject into the Button GameObject Event Trigger component Pointer Click event. (See below)

Now edit the rootUIPanelBehaviorScript, and add the following code.

Code (csharp):
    2. public GameObject uiPanel;
    4. /*Copy and rename this function to create custom behaviours for your GUI components.
    5. public void MyCustomBehaviour(){
    7. }
    8. */
    10. public void SlidePanelIn(){
    11.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().enabled = true;
    12.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPhone4_960_PanelSlideIn");
    13. }
    Now back on the Button in the Hierarchy, set the Event Trigger Pointer Click function to be rootUIPanel_BehaviorScript.SlidePanelIn() (See image above for reference!)

The last thing you need to do is drag the UIPanel you wish to slide in onto the Ui Panel slot of the rootUIPanelBehaviorScript in the Inspector.

That's it, your good to go! Run your scene and click on the Button on the rootUIPanel and your other panel will slide in.

The code above runs the slide in animation clip for an iPhone4 in landscape orientation. You can check the screen width using the following code and play the correct slide in animation clip.

Code (csharp):
    2. if(uiPanel.GetComponent<uGUI_IOSInterface_UIPanel>().ScreenWidth == 640){ //iPhone4and5Portrait
    3.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPhone4and5_640_PanelSlideIn");
    4.  }
    5. if(uiPanel.GetComponent<uGUI_IOSInterface_UIPanel>().ScreenWidth == 960){ //iPhone4Landscape
    6.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPhone4_960_PanelSlideIn");
    7.  }
    8. if(uiPanel.GetComponent<uGUI_IOSInterface_UIPanel>().ScreenWidth == 1136){ //iPhone5Landscape
    9.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPhone5_1136_PanelSlideIn");
    10.  }
    11. if(uiPanel.GetComponent<uGUI_IOSInterface_UIPanel>().ScreenWidth == 750){ //iPhone6Portrait
    12.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPhone6_750_PanelSlideIn");
    13.  }
    14. if(uiPanel.GetComponent<uGUI_IOSInterface_UIPanel>().ScreenWidth == 1134){ //iPhone6Landscape
    15.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPhone6_1134_PanelSlideIn");
    16.  }
    17. if(uiPanel.GetComponent<uGUI_IOSInterface_UIPanel>().ScreenWidth == 1242){ //iPhone6+ Portrait
    18.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPhone6_1242_PanelSlideIn");
    19.  }
    20. if(uiPanel.GetComponent<uGUI_IOSInterface_UIPanel>().ScreenWidth == 2208){ //iPhone6+ Landscape
    21.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPhone6_2208_PanelSlideIn");
    22.  }
    23. if(uiPanel.GetComponent<uGUI_IOSInterface_UIPanel>().ScreenWidth == 768){ //iPadPortrait
    24.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPad_768_PanelSlideIn");
    25.  }
    26. if(uiPanel.GetComponent<uGUI_IOSInterface_UIPanel>().ScreenWidth == 1024){ //iPadLandscape
    27.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPad_1024_PanelSlideIn");
    28.  }
    29. if(uiPanel.GetComponent<uGUI_IOSInterface_UIPanel>().ScreenWidth == 1536){ //iPadRetinaPortrait
    30.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPadRetina_1536_PanelSlideIn");
    31.  }
    32. if(uiPanel.GetComponent<uGUI_IOSInterface_UIPanel>().ScreenWidth == 2048){ //iPadRetinaLandscape
    33.     uiPanel.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("iPadRetina_2048_PanelSlideIn");
    34.  }                
    Any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to ask away here! :)

37. ababab5

ababab5

Hi,

I'm very interested about your plugin.

But I need to know if it's possible to move the caret of the input filed by touching on mobile ?

Thanks.

Best regards,

AB

38. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi AB,

The feature your describing whereby a user can hold their finger down on a text field and a magnify glass appears allowing the user to move the cursor bar to any position in the text is not currently implemented. It is on my to do list for a future beta release.

Thanks for your interest in my asset, really appreciate it!

39. ababab5

ababab5

Hi thanks,

in fact i'm just interested by moving the caret with the finger, like we do with our mouse on computer on an InputField.

I'm trying to do it myself. Do you think the best approach is to create a plugin, or to create an extension to the input filed class in unity ?

Thanks !

40. imtrobin

imtrobin

Looks good, but if I want to also build an android version, so now it will look like IOS app? Is there to be able to do separate version without needing to rebuild the UI for android?

41. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi, I am currently working on beta 0.2 which addresses a number of issues reported by users and should help increase my review ratings.

Your not the first to ask about publishing to the Android platform, I am curious to know why users would like to produce iOS looking apps on Android?

The biggest issue I face is the differing number of resolutions on Android devices, as opposed to Apples handful of standard resolutions, but I am happy to look further into this as it seems to be a popular request of my asset.

42. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I currently have a new BETA in testing at the moment and I will be submitted an update to the Asset Store very soon!

This new BETA will enable you to create iOS UI interfaces on any device and at any resolution!

More info coming soon... :)

43. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

BETA 0.2 is available in the Asset Store!

Apologies for taking so long to release v0.2.

I have rewritten most the code that positions and arranges the iOS UI elements when added to a scene.

I have also modified the way the Canvas gameobject scales the UI for the different iOS resolutions.

Something people wanted was to be able to create iOS UI's on non-iOS devices and hence screen resolutions, so I have now made this possible.

If you look at the Canvas gameobject, after you add your first UIPanel, you will find a Canvas Handler component, for non-retina resolutions the Resolution is 1 to 1, hence 1x, for retina its 2x, and iPhone6+ is 3x.

For all non-iOS resolutions you can manually set this Resolution, I plan to add a list of all popular resolutions for non-iOS devices here and allow the user to define the 1x, 2x or 3x for each resolution.

I have also simplified the code within each of the UI controls, making it easier for me to add new UI controls quickly.

I have also fixed lots of little bugs.

What's still to be done is to complete the remaining UI elements that are not currently included, such as slider, progress bar, date picker, pickerview, search bar and activity indicator.

This asset is very much alive and active!!! :)

44. samizzo

samizzo

Hi, just wondering if you have a carousel-style component like what Apple use in for example the alarm clock when you edit the alarm time?

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  45. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi, not at this time, however its on my list of UI components to add.

I am just making some final amendments to v0.3 and then I will submit the update to the Asset Store team for review.

samizzo likes this.
  46. bourriquet

bourriquet

Hi, Will the PickerView be integrated in 0.3?