Search Unity

[RELEASED] IMVU API for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PatFanKen, Feb 11, 2016.

1. PatFanKen

PatFanKen

The IMVU API for Unity is here!
    IMVU_API_1160x200_v01_Photon.jpg
    Get the attention of millions of IMVU customers by letting them play your games with their avatars and their friends!

The IMVU API for Unity is a library that allows users to authenticate with IMVU and load their Mecanim avatar into your app. You can leverage their IMVU assets (avatars and outfits) and their social network from within your app.

IMVU has one of the most dynamic economies on the Internet. Users are always searching for ways to spend IMVU Credits (our virtual currency.) Start building apps now and be ready to leverage the IMVU economy through the features that will become available in future releases.

Basic version: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/ - !/content/44207
    Photon networking version: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/ - !/content/55217
    (The Photon version is the same API, it just contains sample Photon code which requires Photon to be in your project to run.)

FEATURES:
    * Users connect with their IMVU username to give your game access to their avatar and their social network
    * Load a user's avatar into your app as a Mecanim character
    * Load a user's info including 2D images that represent the user's avatar
    * Display images of a user's avatar outfits so you can let users scroll through their outfits and change their outfit within your app
    * Load a user's list of friends
    * Load friend avatars
    from the user's friend list to be used as Mecanim non-player characters
    * Attachment animation settings so avatar attachments (tails, wings, pets) animate automatically
    * Eye blink settings that define whether or not loaded Avatars will blinks their eye(s) automatically
    * Read and write from the IMVU Feed where you can post screenshots to the user's personal IMVU feed and drive virality for your app
    * Automatic support for level of detail (LOD)to keep your frame rate up
    * Built in network retries and throttlingwhen loading from IMVU to keep your your app robust
    * UNet Multi-User network support that automatically synchronizes avatar data for your UNet app
    * OAuth Support: Register your app with IMVU (as noted in the quickStart guide) and customers will leverage the safe and secure OAuth flow for logging in

Once the avatar is in your game you can use ragdoll, equip the character with items, add actions, etc. Anything you can do in Unity you can do with these new avatars...and IMVU customers can use THEIR avatars within the experience you create.

Visit our website for more information!
    Quick Start Guide
    API Documentation
    IMVU Forum Thread
    IMVU FAQs
    Demo Games

You must have an IMVU Account to play these demos
    Get a free one here!

2. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

looks potentially interesting. Seems like you could only do 3rd person with this (i.e. no first person perspective)...

3. softwarelicense

softwarelicense

There are lots of possibilities:
    • Pan back from the character so they can see themselves. Maybe this is not really 1st person, but you could just pull back when it makes sense for a cut scene or something
    • Use reflections in windows and mirrors so the user's can see themselves
    • Use 1st person, but load the user's friends (from their social network) as NPCs in the game
    • Use 1st person in multi-player mode, so the user sees others' avatars and they see her
    • Use 1st person, but allow the user to take snapshots of themselves from different cameras, then let them post the image to their IMVU feed. This is a great way to show off a high score or funny scenario, and IMVU is extremely viral. When others see the feed images they'll want to play the game too.
    • Use the user's name and 2d image somewhere on the screen. (User's create their profile image and that picture alone can help make the game feel more personalized)
    I suggest you have a look at the demo apps at https://secure.imvu.com/next/apps/

Happy coding!
    IMVULabs

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  4. softwarelicense

softwarelicense

Release 0.5.2 is now live.

0.5.2 Release Notes

Notes:
    • This release requires Unity 5.3.2.
    • ImvuAnimator.Reset() and assetInfo.ResetAttachmentIdleActions() have been removed from the API.
    New Features:
    • Support for Unity 5.3.2.
    • Morph targets exposed as BlendShapes. (Thanks DimitriX89)
    • Eye gaze allows control of where the eyes are looking. (See the new Gaze demo.)
    • Access the user's wallet to get their credit balance. (This is a precursor to the work underway on monetization.)
    • Better error messaging when IMVU's oAuth settings are incomplete or broken.
    Bug Fixes:
    • Creating the IMVU settings files no longer breaks if the IMVUnity folder is moved. (Thanks Eelstork!)
    • Outfit demo now looks proper on non-mobile screens. * Animation bug fixes
    • The package no longer requires Unity's "iOS build support" component to be installed (Thanks KFir!)

5. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Interesting. I looked into IMVU before but this was the deal breaker for me….

I looked through some of the docs, but couldn't find if there were any standards or naming conventions that would allow us to anticipate an IMVU character's face morphs, to get lipsync, expressions, etc

6. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

Is there anyway to have a Client login to their IMVU account automatically when they login to the game. So like their game account keeps their IMVU data and logs them in to IMVU upon successfully logging into the game?

7. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

This would be amazing if the user signup / avatar creation could be integrated right into the game experience without the player being taken into a web view.

As in.. a Unity scene loads with IMVU branding .. but still within the game's experience. That would make this package even more attractive!

8. DieLzz

DieLzz

How do I implement the imvu characters as players for my game, are there any tutorials? I'm having trouble and I really want to use this system.

I have already downloaded everything into unity, and I'm having trouble making the character move, it just stays on t-pose when I import it.

9. docwes

docwes

I have started a fairly large multiplayer world based around the imvu api and it looks like as of today its no longer supported. This is HUGELY DISSAPOINTED and i have wasted quite a large amount of money for my team on this functionality.I wish they would have made an announcement or let someone know they would be deprecating the asset.

10. jbooth

jbooth

Why is this pinned at the top of this forum?

11. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Un-stickied.

12. JakobWagner

JakobWagner

Does anybody know what the reason is for dropping IMVU support?

13. YoungDeveloper

YoungDeveloper

I'd like to know this too, they dropped imvu plugin without any announcements

14. rjbarnesjr7

rjbarnesjr7

i need the help to get on my imvu and avatar name silverFoxRjJr

15. pigorcket

pigorcket

Noticed this package is deprecated. I am a student interested in integrating imvu into my senior project. Any news on updates?

16. matthew77

matthew77

Can I ask you if you where ever able to get any answers on the IMVU for UNITY thing? My project was also based around it as well but I can't seem to get any answers. I thought since we already purchased it it could still be used. My avatar from IMVU is still able to be played in my game but the page for other players to log in on the IMVU site seems to no longer load. Have you heard anything or figured out a workaround?

17. docwes

docwes

No i have gotten no response. I have no idea what happened or why. And I have just started working on replacing the characters in my game. This is truly unfortunate. I invested alot in imvu credits to help get characters ready for testing in my game for no reason. As well as being an embarassment for the effort we were promoting.