Search Unity

UI - Gamestrap : Icons, Shapes, Effects and Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rodiaz89, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Gamestrap v4.1.0
    Asset Store Link

Gamestrap UI is a user interface pack to help indie developers and small companies who don't have time to develop an entire UI skin and want to implement something that looks good in less time. It’s a great tool for fast prototyping.

Features
    screenshot-tool2.png

Includes the Gamestrap UI Kit to help with you create faster and better looking UI

Features
    • Set colors to multiple UI elements in the scene
    • Get a list of color suggestions
    • Generate color schemes to use in your palette based in color theory
    • Get the list of colors you are currently using in your scene to reuse
    • Apply fonts to multiple objects at once
    • Set shadow and gradient effects to your elements
    • Save colors and effects to reuse in your whole project
    • Assign color and effects through tags
    theme runtime.gif
    For feature request or voting on new features go into our trello board and vote on the car you want! With enough votes the feature will be worked on
    Gamestrap UI Roadmap Trello

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Gozdek likes this.
  2. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

If you own Gamestrap UI already I would love to hear what you have done with it and if you have time, please comment and rate it! I'm looking for feedback to see how to make it better.

3. AdamSingle

AdamSingle

Does Gamestrap UI have functionality for transitions and animations? Controlling UI flow from one screen to another. Hooking the transition to a Settings panel to a Settings button as an example? I haven't seen anything like that in the videos.

4. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Gamestrap UI extends the Unity UI system, so you could do all of the transitions and animations with the Unity UI but currently we don't add any functionality that has animations or transitions. We have though about it and if people are interested in having some pre-made animations for panel transitions and buttons we will look more into it and see how to add such new functionality.

I would love if you could expand a bit more on how you would imagine the transitions, animations and controlling UI flow working.

5. AdamSingle

AdamSingle

Thank you for the reply. It's probably hard to explain, as it's hard to tell exactly what your product does from the videos. I can see some of the things it can do, but not what it's place in the production level UI pipeline is. Luckily your price is very reasonable and I'm happy to buy it anyway (especially since the source code is included) and I will be in a better position to provide feedback after I've spent some time using it.

6. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Thanks Adam for the feedback,
    You are welcome to PM with your skype username and I can show you the things you can do in more detail, I'm going to be making short videos on specific things of Gamestrap UI and how to use them a bit later on, so for now that's all I can do. I am looking to make a great product and I appreciate any feedback and comments on the asset.

7. Mandelboxed

Mandelboxed

Hi, I love your asset pack and am trying to use it in a project with Photon Unity Networking, however there seems to be an incompatibility.

When I have both Gamestrap UI and PUN in one project I get compiler errors in GamestrapUI.cs. The list of errors is quite long, I have pasted a subset below. Any assistance you can offer would be very much appreciated.

8. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Thanks for buying Gamestrap UI! I looked into it and it seems that Photon has a class called "Text" in their editor extensions so anything you do with the Text with Unity's UI in the editor side you'll get conflicts since Photon wasn't nice enough to put their editor classes in a namespace. btw I got this message at 3am my time so sorry for the delay in responding.

So as for the solutions you have two options:
    1. PM with your invoice and email and I can send you the fixed version.
    2. or you can replace in the "GamestrapUI.cs" class all of the text that say "Text" to "UnityEngine.UI.Text"

I'll be uploading this new version with the fix and other fixes today but they take about 5 business days to put up the update.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions you are welcome to contact me at info@emerald-digital.com or through here :)

9. Mandelboxed

Mandelboxed

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly with a solution! I made the necessary changes in the source files and everything seems to be working fine. You've got a great product and support to match.

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  10. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Glad you liked it, remember to rate it if you have a chance.

11. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

12. unitynewb

unitynewb

Great asset!

I have one question and maybe its not related to your asset, but I figured I'll ask

I create a scroll using gamestrapUI --> Scroll List. I put some buttons under content and everything scrolls correctly, but I can't actually push the button.

13. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Thanks!
    I tried it on my side and everything is working just fine, hmmm make sure you don't have anything in front of the button like another panel or something like that. Aside from that you can send me the example to info[at]emerald-digital.com and I can check if it's a gamestrap bug or something strange.

Hope that helps :)

14. unitynewb

unitynewb

Yeah sorry I had something in front of it... Thanks for your help and the great asset

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  15. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

Getting script errors loading into Unity 5.20b4

Assets/Gamestrap UI/Effects/GradientEffect.cs(9,18): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.UI.BaseVertexEffect' is obsolete: `Use BaseMeshEffect instead'
    Assets/Gamestrap UI/Effects/GradientEffect.cs(14,33): error CS0115: `Gamestrap.GradientEffect.Start()' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override
    Assets/Gamestrap UI/Effects/ShadowEffect.cs(11,18): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.UI.BaseVertexEffect' is obsolete: `Use BaseMeshEffect instead'
    Assets/Gamestrap UI/Effects/ShadowEffect.cs(109,33): error CS0115: `Gamestrap.ShadowEffect.OnValidate()' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override

16. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Yeah we haven't tested Gamestrap UI in the new beta version 5.2, that's probably why you are getting errors since they changed stuff in the effects section, I'll try to find a quick solution but I can't guarantee anything until they come out with it, which should be around the 8th of September based on their roadmap.
    For now you can remove the 'Effects' folder so you can use the rest of Gamestrap. I'll update with news here when I get something going. Thanks for the report!

17. commonblob

commonblob

You've already spotted that gamestrap didn't work correctly in the beta, release is out, and it also has the same problem. Its due to the depreciation of BaseVertexEffect. This is now BaseMeshEffect...and is a bit different. I did as you said in the post above though and disabled my effects for now..

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  18. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Yes thanks for the info, I'm currently working on it and I should put up a new version today, sadly it does take a week or two to update in the store but feel free to send me an email with your invoice number and I'll send you the new version right away. info[at]emerald-digital.com

Sorry for the inconvenience.

19. derkoi

derkoi

Emailed. Thanks

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  20. Arcanor

Arcanor

Me too... emailed, and thanks. :)

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  21. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

The new version is out with the fix for Unity 5.2! finally... no more sending emails with fixes, although it was nice hearing from everyone :)

If you updated to 5.2 or more you just need to download the package again from the asset store to get the new version with the fixes and also the color assigning tool now changes the new Dropdown element like it should.

Contact me if you have any other issues, feedback, comments, suggestions, compliments or stuff you have done with Gamestrap, would love to hear from you!

22. derkoi

derkoi

Hi, Thanks for your previous fix but unfortunately I've just updated to the latest v5.2.1p1 and I'm getting the following error:

23. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

The fix for the effects is already up, you have to download Gamestrap UI again to get the new version, make sure you delete the Gamestrap UI package from cache.

I am working on a version that will work with any version using the pre-compile tags such as #if UNITY_5_2 and such but for now that's the way to fix it. If you still can't get it to work just send me an email and I'll go into further details.

24. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Strange, I got another person complaining about the same issue but I just tried it in v5.2.1p1f and it doesn't give me any errors... I wonder what I'm missing...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  25. radimoto

radimoto

Hi, I've updated to 2.1.2 on 5.2.1p1 but I'm still getting the following error:

Assets/Gamestrap UI/Effects/GradientEffect.cs(9,18): error CS0534: `Gamestrap.GradientEffect' does not implement inherited abstract member `UnityEngine.UI.BaseMeshEffect.ModifyMesh(UnityEngine.UI.VertexHelper)'

I have deleted Gamestrap UI several times and imported from the Asset Store but still get this error. I am also using Cache Server 5.2.1.

26. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Working on a solution, should have something soon, Unity keeps changing the Effect system without much warning... Sorry for any problem caused, for now as a temporary solution (but it does disable the gradient and shadow effect) either delete the effects folder or add the following code after the "ModifyMesh(Mesh mesh)" method
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         public override void ModifyMesh(VertexHelper vh)
    2.         {
    4.         }

27. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

ok finally figured out the fix, there was no documentation out there so I had to look at the repository to kinda understand what they did... So here we go the fix is just to add this method to both ShadowEffect and GradientEffect scripts. If you don't want to deal with that send me an email and I'll send you a Unity package with the modified files until I upload a new version. The new version might take a bit since I have to figure out how I'm going to differentiate not only versions but also what patch it was on... how fun!

Here is code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         public override void ModifyMesh(VertexHelper vh)
    2.         {
    3.             if (!this.IsActive())
    4.                 return;
    6.             List<UIVertex> vertexList = new List<UIVertex>();
    7.             vh.GetUIVertexStream(vertexList);
    9.             ModifyVertices(vertexList);
    11.             vh.Clear();
    12.             vh.AddUIVertexTriangleStream(vertexList);
    13.         }

28. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, that fixed it. (Until the next patch. lol)

sjm-tech and Rodiaz89 like this.
  29. Hoskins355

Hoskins355

I am having issues with gradient and shadow scripts on unity 5.2.1

Can you send me the new GradientEffects.cs script. I treid adding the function above but I got this error

Assets/Gamestrap UI/Effects/GradientEffect.cs(14,38): error CS0505: `Gamestrap.GradientEffect.ModifyMesh(UnityEngine.UI.VertexHelper)': cannot override because `UnityEngine.UI.BaseMeshEffect.ModifyMesh(UnityEngine.Mesh)' is not a method

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  30. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Sure thing man, just send me an email and I'll send you the fix for now, I'm waiting to see if they change something else... if nothing happens with the patches in the next couple of weeks I'll upload a new version to the asset store.
    email: info[at]emerald-digital.com

31. iamsam

iamsam

Hey, I am using the asset in 5.2.1p3 and the above changes do remove the errors in the console.

However when I apply the effects to the GUI, the underlying object somehow becomes transparent and looking at the alphas they all appear to be 1. So I am not sure where the problem is. This occurs in panels, and other GUI objects. Thanks.

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  32. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Thanks for the report, I just finished downloading the verion 5.2.1p4 and I'm seeing what you are talking about... God those effects are giving so much problems...
    I'm guessing you are talking about the Gradient Effect that for some some reason is giving off some transparency issues with the 'Top' color variable.
    I'll be working on this over the weekend to see if I can find the culprit but no guarantees since they stopped updating the public repository on bitbucket so it's kinda hard to guess what they changed. I'm thinking all together to remove the effects for now until they get their act together and finish refactoring and fixing the UI system... but for now I'll keep at it.

Once I have something I'll post it over here, thanks again for the notice and sorry for the rants :p

iamsam likes this.
  33. iamsam

iamsam

Thanks @Rodiaz89, looking forward for any updates.

I believe they changed the following things in patch 3 -
    "Added new helper function to VertexHelper to set streams of Vertex in any order.",
    "Invalid graphics need to clear the VertexHelper instead of using previous data." and
    "Make sure the VertexHelper for Filled sprites are cleared before trying to add new data." which may shed light on the issues.

The new changes seem to pass an instance of vertexhelper and give back 6 verts per quad rather than 4.

34. iamsam

iamsam

I played around and found that it is due to the change in the number of verts being returned in the new patch. The calculations in the script are based on 4 verts being returned and thus go wrong with the new patch versions. I think if you change the line where the bottomPos & topPos are calculated, it works wonderfully :).

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  35. drforgetful

drforgetful

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, and it's probably a fairly stupid question, but just thought I'd ask before spending too much time on it.

I am using gamestrapUI assets for my ui, in the editor and running a pc version they look lovely.
    When running on an android device, my nice round buttons get squashed to a kind of oblong shape. I've tried to replicate this by resizing things in the editor but they seem to retain their shape their, so I'm not really sure why they get squashed on the android build.
    I use the circle_lg (can't check the exact name now, sorry if it's wrong) for the base image of the buttons. I believe it's to do with the way the image is sliced, but don't really know.

Is there an obvious, simple fix for this that I've missed?

36. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

It probably has to do with the way you are exporting to android, maybe you are compressing the textures? I've tested it out before in Android and it works but since they are changing so many stuff you neven know.
    If the android export quality settings aren't it, you can send me an email with the details of your Unity version and even an example of the error so I can check if it's Gamestrap or just a Unity thing.

37. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Thanks for the tip, just in case, I fixed it and now it works, one new thing is that the order in which the effects are set in the inspector components matter, the gradient should always be first and then the shadow or else it will remove the gradient colors completely, fun! Here is the fix for now:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.                 SetVertexColor(vertexList, 0, bottom);
    2.                 SetVertexColor(vertexList, 1, top);
    3.                 SetVertexColor(vertexList, 2, top);
    4.                 SetVertexColor(vertexList, 3, top);
    5.                 SetVertexColor(vertexList, 4, bottom);
    6.                 SetVertexColor(vertexList, 5, bottom);
    In the section where you assign the colors to each vertex you'll have to remove the old one and replace it with this code since they are starting to do triangles and their vertex, thus the reason why there are 6 and not 4.

About me actually updating Gamestrap UI in the asset store. Since I can't do compilation dependency based on patches or even smaller updates like 5.2.x... if I update now it can only work if you don't have a patch version of 5.2... fun I know. So I will publish a version just before the new 5.3 version is actually released in December to minimize any headaches, plus you never know what new patch they'll throw to break the effect system again!

Let's all be patient and hopefully we'll get through this together! hehe thanks for using Gamestrap and all of your input! If you are in dire needs just email me and I'll send you a version that works based on whatever patch you have, or if you don't use the effects anyways just delete the folder for now.

iamsam likes this.
  38. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Hey everyone couple of updates!
    First of all, I apologize for any trouble caused with Unity's changing the effect code, I published a new version today so it will take about a week to show up in the Asset store once they check it. I set it up so the code is version dependent so it should upgrade/downgrade fairly well until Unity decides to break it again :p

The other awesome news is that I took a lot of the feedback I've gotten over the past months and Ive developed a new version that should be coming out soon but before that I would like to see what you guys think! The big change is in the Gamestrap custom editor windows workflow.
    Here are the initial screenshots of the window:
    basic gs.JPG color detail gs.JPG Effect detail gs.JPG additional options gs.JPG

So hopefully this isn't too confusing but the main features are:
    1. You can now set up your own theme with a palette and effect sets to apply to your scenes.
    2. All of the theme colors and effects are saved on a Theme file.
    3. You can assign tags to the colors or effects which you can later apply to the whole scene with a click of a button to all of the UI who has that same tag.
    4. You can generate a palette (set of colors) based on the colors that the scene currently has in it's UI.
    5. You can have different themes in the same project and load them anytime you want.

Hopefully this will make a lot of people happy! I'm looking for first impressions, feedback and suggestions.

I'm also going to try something new and that is to publish a Trello board with the possible new features we can have. You can go in and vote/comment on each feature and based on how many people actually vote I'll work on the features.
    Gamestrap UI Trello Feature Request

Sorry for the long news but hopefully this all helps to make a better product, thanks for being interested in Gamestrap!

Cheers,
    Rodrigo

MaZy and iamsam like this.
  39. iamsam

iamsam

Love the new features, hope to test them soon.

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  40. Spoken_OS

Spoken_OS

I know you updated Gamestrap today but I am still getting the error

I have been getting this error since I updated Unity to 5.2.1

41. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Yes, Unity changed some stuff in the UI effects, redownload Gamestrap UI, remember to remove it from cache if it doesn't download it straight away, so you download the last version of Gamestrap. I updated the asset so it doesn't give you that error any more.

Sorry for any trouble caused.

42. Spoken_OS

Spoken_OS

I restarted Unity and redownloaded Gamestrap and it is working now. Thank you.

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  43. MaZy

MaZy

Hello is it possible to copy or make own templates?
    I use the suggestion but sometimes I change one color for example highlighted color and if I want to apply to new game ui entries like buttons and the window get reseted to default (suggestion) color .. so I need to change again. Its annoying.

It were nice if I could copy the current color of my buttons and apply to the new buttons. Where enough for me.

At the moment I just do copy prefab but it has problems like text replacement if I apply changes

44. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Thanks for the feedback!
    Yes I have noticed that and it's really annoying!
    I'm close to finishing a new version that will allow you to save palletes (look at the images in the above post) which will let you save a set of colors with it's detail and even save it as a theme file to use in different Unity projects. I'm currently testing it out and I'm working on documentation/presentation/examples to try and have it done this month!

45. MaZy

MaZy

Sorry I didn't see the images first. It sounds great. Even available for other unity projects that sounds really nice.

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  46. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Finally, new version is out!! Should be a major improvement in your workflow with the toolkit and also we added some new fonts for you to play with. If you have any issues/feedback send me a message or check our Trello board

MaZy likes this.
  47. Webbstre

Webbstre

I recently bought Gamestrap UI and I'm having trouble with this error any time I add a button:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEditor.UI.ImageEditor.OnDisable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEditor.UI/UI/ImageEditor.cs:66)
    3. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:DeleteAsset(String)
    4. ES2EditorStartup:Cleanup()
    5. ES2EditorStartup:.cctor()
    6. UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:SetLoadedEditorAssemblies(Assembly[])
    I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's Unity 5.3.

48. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

It seems it's a Unity 5.3 issue, I've found this thread but no solutions :(
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/random-editor-error.375943/

My suggestion if it's Gamestrap UI's problem is to make sure you have Gamestrap UI folder in the root of the project window but that's only if you are creating a Gamestrap button through the menu.

Also try deleting your Library folder so Unity generates everything again, could be some sort of error while upgrading Unity. Make sure you keep a backup just in case.

Tell me how it goes!

49. Webbstre

Webbstre

Found it! It turned out to be completely unrelated to Gamestrap! It was actually an error that didn't break anything coming from Easy Save 2, which just happened to trigger once I added a Gamestrap UI object. Loving this asset so far btw! If I were to recommend one thing it would be an option to add a pattern or overlay (basically a stretched or repeating texture with opacity options) to a UI element. In my mind it would be like adding some stars or a lens flare, etc. Just an idea to spice things up!

Oh, and since it's on my mind, an option to control shadow size so I can use it essentially as a border around an object instead of just a shadow.

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  50. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Glad you found the issue :)
    Thanks for the suggestions they sound pretty cool, I'll look into them and put them in the Trello board.
    If you haven't already it would be awesome if you rated the asset!