Search Unity

[RELEASED] Game Camera: AAA camera solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reindeer-games, Jun 17, 2014.

1. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hello everyone,

I would like to announce a new Unity package Game Camera: AAA camera solution.

Game Camera is a AAA camera solution for your game. This package contains 3rd person camera, RPG camera, RTS camera and more in professional quality you can see in today's AAA games. It comes with advanced configuration system, collision system for smoothest game experience and input system allowing you to play the game on keyboard with mouse, gamepad or mobile touch controls.

WebPlayer Demos:

Android Demo:

70 pages of documentation:

Features:
    • 3rd person camera
    • RTS camera
    • RPG camera
    • Orbit camera
    • LookAt and dead mode
    • Character controller
    • Collision system
    • Keyboard, mouse, gamepad and Mobile touch input
    • Event system
    • Camera effects
    • 3 demo scenes
    • Extras: Zombie and Worm AI
    • Full source code included
    • Works with Unity free

Available on Asset Store:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  2. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Another video how to quickly setup Game Camera:

3. dronman5

dronman5

Hi,

excellent asset you have, I purchased today and I have one question regarding to mobile controls. Everytime I enable the mobile controls game object I see ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint error in the console. Any clues?

4. dronman5

dronman5

So the error is harmless I can build and run game on mobile now, nice!

5. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hello there,

thanks for buying the asset!

Yes, the error is harmless, it only shows in editor mode one time when you activate the MobileControls game object, it is some kind of Unity internal GUI error. You shouldn't see it in playmode, Anyway I try to remove the error in next update.

Regards,
    RG

6. dronman5

dronman5

I found another problem, I am interested in mobile controls and rpg camera and I cannot figure out how to use zoom with touch device, I didn't find any way to configure zoom, is there any way to do it?

7. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Yes, you are right, the zooming is not possible on mobile devices at the moment. You can zoom only with mouse. I have to add a pinch support for touch input. I will add it to next update.

8. yummybrainz

yummybrainz

I really enjoyed playing around with this asset! I'm going to use this for my next mobile game for certain.

What kind of features do you plan on adding in the future? If I may add any suggestion multiple weapons and melee would be awesome ;)

9. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

10. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Sorry for late reply, I haven't tried this motion controller but the camera itself is completely independent, you can attach it to any game object you want, even to a simple cube. So if you already have some character or motion system, just drag its game object to camera manager and it will work.

Regards.

11. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

This sound good.
    Put it on my wishlist now.

12. JollyManGames

JollyManGames

Hi there,
    I just purchased this camera because it looked awesome! However now I am Having some issues. The game controller script is not working. The Character simply won't move. the camera works fine though. Could you please help me fix this? This is in third person by the way

13. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

Greetings !

this great asset are returning red errors like this:

Assets/GameCamera/Content/Demo/Scripts/DemoMain.cs(69,26): error CS0117: `InputManager' does not contain a definition for `Instance'

on Unity 4.6 and Unity 5

Many thanks

**** my bad, sorry for that,

You can buy this great asset you will not regret

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  14. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Thanks, I'll try Unity 4.6 right away.

15. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hi Reindeer Games I have a question. I just purchased Game Camera awhile ago and it's quite nice indeed but I would like to know if mainly the 3rd Person Camera be used for a 3d action adventure game? I'm not too interested in a 3rd Person Shooter so I would like to know how would I go about doing it. Oh also I have been able to replace and switch some animations in the mecanim based 3rd Person Controller so that's not really an issue.

16. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hi,

3rd person camera can be used for any kind of 3rd person type game including action adventure or 3rd person shooter. If you want to make a 3d action adventure game, you probably don't want to use the aiming and shooting mode, which can be easily disabled but it would be better if you can write more information about your game, what kind of modes, actions your character can do and we can think some camera configurations that will suit best to your game.

Regards.

Alexarah likes this.
  17. Alexarah

Alexarah

Thanks for the quick reply! My 3rd person game will have some Devil May Cry + Assassin's Creed elements. Like wall running and jumping from Assassin's Creed while complex fighting animations like in Devil May Cry or even God of War. I already have animation products from the Assets Store such as Props Animations. I'm also making my own animations in iClone 5 Pro. So yeah the configuration that I hope is possible is to be able to have wall running/jumping, melee attacks like with punches and kicks etc, and dodging/backflips/blocking. Yep so that's what I'm hoping for and like I said I have the animations, AI, graphic effects, sound effects and etc covered so that's nothing to be concerned about. Oh and again thanks for your helpful reply!

18. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hi,

your game sounds like a lots of fun!

Unfortunately there is no quick and simple way to extend GameCamera package to fulfill your requirements. I might have misunderstood your question, because I thought you are talking about configuring the camera, not about the character and animations. GameCamera is primarily about camera and camera modes (3rd, rpg, rts, fps, ...). However the character controller can be extended as well but it will require a bit of scripting.

Probably the best place to start is to understand classes ThirdPersonInput, Player and AnimationController. ThirdPersonInput is class for determining the raw input (from mouse, keyboard, gamepad), In Player class there is update method with input checks, for example if the fire button was pressed etc. Then all the input values are passed to AnimationController where the animations are run.

So if you want to add for example new character action "Punch", you can extend the controller like this:

1) add new InputType (Punch) to InputManager and in ThirdPersonInput check for the button.
    2) in player FixedUpdate add some check for Punch input and pass it to AnimationController (Move method)
    3) in AnimationController add set animator with Punch (you will have to add some animation to the tree as well), for example you can see the method UpdateAnimator() how the animator is set

This is just a rough guide how to extend the animation controller. Unfortunately there is no simpler way, every new action will require some scripting and there is no universal solution since every game is different.

Regards.

Alexarah likes this.
  19. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I do not have bought this asset but for sure i will do so.
    I just have one little wish for the mobile control for the third person camera and that i think you can archive easily because you made something like this already for the rpg camera.
    I would like that for a shooting game, the mobile player can walk with the stick and with his right thumb he should aim for the enemies and if there is an enemie in the range of the selected weapon he should automaticly shoot at him. That way the player do not have to walk, aim and also hit the shoot button at the same time. Maybe an automatic reloading would be great also but that can be made with a button i think.

I also read about zooming is comming for mobile and hope that different features can be used or switched of if i do not need them.

20. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hi, thank you for your interest in GameCamera.

I will improve the mobile controller, the automatic shooting/reloading was already in my plans before, something similar to DeadTrigger game, which I like, so you can expect this feature. As for zooming, yes, I would like to make a zooming on mobile devices using the "pinch gesture", but it will be only for RPG/RTS mode.

Regards.

21. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Great to hear that and inspired me to buy it :)
    So now i am a proud owner of your nice camera asset and will start to lock at it.

Depending the zoom functioality, i would like it but i hope i can switch of that for the project i will use this asset first?

22. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hi,

yes, you can start working on your project, when the zoom feature is out you can just enable/disable it, it will not have impact on current functionality.

Alexarah likes this.
  23. Alexarah

Alexarah

Okay I understand that part but I forgot to mention that I already have an attack animations and etc package called the GAC System from the Asset Store. I'm just planning to utilize Game Camera for the actual player camera itself. That being said is it possible to use the Third Person Camera without the included Third Person Mecanim Controller? I ask because the GAC System already supports mecanim and I have Playmaker which it also supports so I can make the animations I need using Playmaker and the GAC System. So can I use the Third Person Camera without altering the input manager and using the other Game Camera scripts? The GAC System and Playmaker can handle the animation part it's just the Third Person Camera I need from your product which is awesome like everyone else says!

24. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Absolutely, you can use ThirdPersonCamera completely without the GameCamera's character controller, just the camera. Sorry, I was confused about your post. You can use Third Person Camera with any game object or character controller system as you want. You can even use the camera with a simple cube, any game object in general. Only thing you have to do is to attach the game object (your character or system) as a CameraTarget in the CameraManager game object. You can find more information in the documentation, for example in quick start chapter you can see how to setup GameCamera in your scene, and step 5 shows you how to attach character controller to the camera. So instead of GameCamera's character use your own and it will work.

About the InputManager, GameCamera comes with predefined input settings which are needed for proper input (rotating and moving by mouse/gamepad/touch, etc). It will overwrite the default input settings during the installation of the package. You can read more about input in this chapter.

In short, you can use just the camera, the character controller is completely independent. However the camera is not just one script, it is a framework (system) with all kinds of subsystems, like Input, Effects, Events, Camera modes; which are necessary and cannot be removed.

Regards.

25. MIK3K

MIK3K

First - Great camera (and exploder is pretty awesome also!). I have the same problem as JollyManGame's post above. I have a model from the asset store and using the 3rd person animator from GameCamera, but if I put it as a child of the CharacterController (where the swat and soldier characters are and disable the other two characters that came with the asset) then it is rotated on it's side and scaled very small, but I can actually fly around like a tiny superhero but no animations.

If I take the character out of the CharacterController hierarchy, then it is stuck in place with the gun holding animation looping but it is the correct size and rotation with feet on the ground. I can move the camera around (unless I put the character as the target but still can orbit) but the character stays stuck in the same spot holding an invisible weapon.

I am just learning this stuff (I'm a complete and utter noob), so it might be the model itself was imported wrong into Unity? It didn't come with any animations but had a demo video showing it using mecanim, which I started using to put together the animations until I discovered your camera and animations already set up, so I set my model as the target in the animator controller inside CharacterController to use the animations from your asset. I am using Unity 4.5.4f1.

---------------------------

Edit - Got one more question. Using the 3rd person camera it defaults to looking straight down at the character.when the game starts but can rotate it fine with the mouse or xbox controller. Can't find where I can change it's starting angle to behind the character. I'll keep checking, maybe in the orbit camera?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  26. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hi, thanks for using GameCamera and Exploder!

the problem about your character is probably related to import settings, try to play with the scale factor in the character model import settings. Also make sure you have created humanoid rig and avatar (also in import settings). You can look at the soldier character and follow the same settings). Which character from asset store you are using?

About the initial angle - you have just discovered a bug, I completely forgot about this, I will fix it in next update (sometimes next week).

Regards.

27. MIK3K

MIK3K

The model came already rigged and I started using mecanim to hook it up to some free unity mocap animations until I saw that I could just hook it up to your system. I figured it might have been imported with some rotations (or lack) and scaling from the author's modeling software. I would rather not say what model it is in case I'm just an idiot who did something wrong.

It's not a big deal because I bought the model just to learn to work with Unity and now working on terrain (where I should have started first). Models and animation are a long way off in the future. Your work is amazingly fun to play with so it's hard to get anything done if I spend all my free time playing with exploder.

28. MIK3K

MIK3K

-------------------

Edit - Okay, this was completely on me. I put my character as the target instead of the character controller. I'm walking around my level!!! Now I gotta figure out why I'm in 1st person instead of 3rd person, but after 2-3 days of banging my head on the desk this is a huge leap forward.

This is a great asset. I would never be able to walk around my level if I had to figure this stuff out on my own.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  29. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

A new update 1.1.1a was just released on Asset Store, changes:
    • zoom functionality for mobiles (pinch gesture), more info in docs
    • mobile input presets (different layout configurations can be now saved/loaded)
    • auto-shoot option for character controller (bool Player.AutomaticShoot)
    • fixed initial angle for ThirdPersonCamera

Ony likes this.
  30. bernienepper

bernienepper

When shooting - why is the character frozen - and why doesn't the camera look down the gun/barrel ?

31. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hi, by frozen you mean that the character does not look down/up when aiming? This character 'bending' is usually done by IK, which is a Unity Pro feature (or you can use other full body IK solutions from asset store). This is an advanced animation topic and it is far beyond GameCamera asset, which is primarily about the camera.

Regards.

32. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Thank you reindeer games for the auto shooting feature :)

33. Karsten

Karsten

hi,
    why is the FPS camera mode not in the Webplayer demo? is it so laggy/jerky?
    i would buy this but only if the camera movement is really smooth like in Ultimate FPS camera

34. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hi,

sorry for late answer.

The FPS camera was not in the demo because it was implemented as an update in version 1.1, it was a request from one of the user. I have just updated the basic scene, so you can check it out now:

gamecamera.scienceontheweb.net

However, if you are looking for a FPS camera only, I recommend you to use UFPS. GameCamera's FPS mode is made to be able to switch to player's eyes from other camera mode like Third Person or RTS/RPG. It is good enough for use in these situations. UFPS is a complete framework for FPS games and it gives you more options, so it might be better if you are looking for FPS solution.

Regards.

35. mk343

mk343

Hi,
    I'am using Unity 4.6.0b17 and after updating GameCamera to the new version I've got errors like the following ones:
    Assets/GameCamera/Scripts/Editor/Input/EditorMobileControls.cs(196,74): error CS0030: Cannot convert type `RG_GameCamera.Input.Mobile.BaseControl' to `Button'
    or
    Assets/GameCamera/Scripts/Editor/Input/EditorMobileControls.cs(196,44): error CS1503: Argument `#2' cannot convert `object' expression to type `bool'
    or
    Assets/GameCamera/Scripts/Editor/Input/EditorMobileControls.cs(288,30): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `RG_GameCamera.Input.Mobile.MobileControls.DuplicateButtonValues(RG_GameCamera.Input.Mobile.Button, RG_GameCamera.Input.Mobile.Button)' has some invalid arguments

So the configuration GUI-elements are not displayed in the editor.
    Deleting and reimporting the asset did not help. I have used the GameCamera asset before without any issues or problems. (Great tool by the way) Any suggestions?

Thanks & Best regards

36. mk343

mk343

Problem solved - in the menu item "Mobile Input" - the item "enabled" was checked. That caused the issue.

37. mk343

mk343

The error messages are back again.

38. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

Incredible that this camera asset is better for third person than the expensive ones available in asset store! it worth every penny!

Many thanks for this !

39. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hi,

I just uploaded a new version 1.1.3a with some fixed namespaces. I think the problem you have is caused by namespace conflict. There are probably some other scrips and classes in your assets directory having the same names as classes from GameCamera. I suspect it is the Unity samples asset package. Anyway, I fixed the error files by referencing full namespace path instead of "using ...". It should help, but if you see any more errors, you can try to remove the Unity samples package.

40. mk343

mk343

Thanks a lot for the quick response. It's up an running again without any error messages.:) I had already removed the unity sample packages, but may be some oft my other packages introduces the namespace clash. I will have a look.

Best
    mk343

41. GXMark

GXMark

Just started playing with this camera. In Third Person mode when it slides down the terrain it jitters and jerks badly. Any ideas why this is. Using the defaults out of the box for this.

quick note by disabling this line in AnimatorMove it helps reduce the jitter a little?

// we preserve the existing y part of the current velocity.
    //v.y = rigidbody.velocity.y;

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  42. GXMark

GXMark

Is there a straightforward way to add the following features

1. The Third Person Camera which stays behind the character? Currently it stays behind the character until you strafe and begin to turn sideways.

2. Mouse Look direction control. So as you move the mouse the character follows with regards to the feature of 1. ?

3. Removal of Downward slide jitter on slopes > 45 degrees

43. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hi,

sorry for the late answer, I didn't get any notification of your message, to answer your questions:

1. and 2. I am not sure what exactly you want to achieve, but currently the character is strafing in the aim-mode only, so it always aim as you move the mouse. There are no strafing animations for non-aim mode. You can look at the player class inside the FixedUpdate method where the input is passed to Move(...) function and passed to animation controller to see the parameters.

3. That is a bug, I will look at the problem, but I guess it has something to do with the capsule/rigid body/velocity.

Regards.

44. etmgames

etmgames

Thank you for great asset. i purchased now. but there is error when android platform

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,RG_GameCamera.Config.Config+Param].get_Item (System.String key) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:150)
    RG_GameCamera.Config.Config.GetFloat (System.String key) (at Assets/GameCamera/Scripts/Config/Config.cs:293)
    RG_GameCamera.Modes.FPSCameraMode.RotateCamera (Vector2 mousePosition) (at Assets/GameCamera/Scripts/Modes/FPS/FPSCameraMode.cs:102)
    RG_GameCamera.Modes.FPSCameraMode.Init () (at Assets/GameCamera/Scripts/Modes/FPS/FPSCameraMode.cs:92)
    RG_GameCamera.CameraManager.Initialize () (at Assets/GameCamera/Scripts/CameraManager.cs:244)
    RG_GameCamera.CameraManager.Start () (at Assets/GameCamera/Scripts/CameraManager.cs:252)

how to fix it ?

45. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hi,

please update to the newest version 1.1.4a from the Asset Store. The problem is that some configuration of camera wasn't loaded because of script execution order. I just made a fix.

Let me know if you have any more problems.
    Regards.

46. etmgames

etmgames

Thank you. already updated. another problem ?

pls look: http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/screenshots/u/yqo/1416286949906-7010.png

when keyboard control, everything is ok. but when mobile control is on i can't use mouse for move or button. how can fix it ?

47. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

Hi,

there wasn't meant to be working with both inputs at the same time, because some of the inputs from non-touch can clash with the touch ones. However I made a hot fix for you, you can use it, but you might experience some problems, just copy the file from attachment over the same file in GameCamera/Input/InputWrapper.cs.

But make a backup for the old file in case of problems.

You also might to consider use one tool for Unity, which is really useful for fast mobile debugging Unity remote: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unity3d.genericremote, you can find the same for iOS. With that tool you don't have to build your game on mobile all the time, you can use editor but you can control from your phone.

Regards.

48. reindeer-games

reindeer-games

The file ...

Attached Files:

49. etmgames

etmgames

Thank you. I know unityremote and using it time to time. therefore, i replaced inputwrapper.cs but still same problem .

50. yummybrainz

yummybrainz

I was wondering if it's possible to use A* pathfinding instead of Navmesh? I am looking into building a procedural maze map which your camera system would be perfect for!

The problem obviously is you cannot build a navmesh at runtime so any procedural maps wont work.