Search Unity

GAC-Great Animation Combos System for Unity 2D/3D (GAC ACCESS IS HERE)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by crafTDev, Jul 30, 2013.

1. crafTDev

crafTDev

Yes, you are going to be able to do comparison checks in this mode. This pic was testing the layout ideas I have. One thing I was thinking is if I should just use floats instead of ints or should I have both? The main idea is that I wanted to have only 3 context variable types.

Thanks,
    jrDev

2. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

bool, float and int are probably the most common I can think of for the animator in that order, though there is only one more that you can use: trigger(I've yet to use this, but it may come into play when I update my stealthkill scripts that rely on a trigger box).

I'll research the trigger functionality and get back with ya, I like the Int though because it will be nice to use for weapon switching, allowing for different combo sets, based on the weapon equipped.

3. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello guys,

More preview updates of the context variables. This time in use with activators. I've finalized the 4 main variables String, Int, Float, and Bool of the Context Menu.

And this is what it will later look like when choosing one thats set in the Context Menu (this one is "Is Flying") to be used for an Activator.

kuro, this will most likely be done by tomorrow so I will send you an early build to test. The groundwork is set and it is working for Activators, just need to set it up for combos now. In the pic above, if I finalized this activator setup for the Key Z press, this would mean that I wouldn't be able to use this Activator to start anything until the gameobect "Is Flying" equals true. It works amazingly and there is going to be so many possible setups with this now. Look forward to more updates.

Thanks,
    jrDev

bking1 likes this.
  4. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Yeah, p.m. me a link. I'll give it a run through after work.

5. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey kuro,

There is a gift in your PMs!

Let me know if everything goes well, just remember these are beta scripts and small changes will be made, so backup your stuff!

Also anyone else who wants to test context variables before release (which is set for next week) let me know.

Thanks,
    jrDev

6. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey again guys,

So here are new pics of the context variables showing the use on combo sequences.

This pic shows the new green "C!" context button to use for adding context variables:

This pic shows the context variable setup:

And this final pic shows what the combo sequence looks like when it is using a context variable:

Alexarah likes this.
  7. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Hell yeah, I'll give it a shot after work.

Thanks. I'll be in touch.B-)

8. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hi jrDev it's been awhile. I thank you for such an awesome asset first of all! Also I going to have a try at making AI for the GAC System using uScript and an AI package I bought from the Asset Store awhile ago. The AI package is called Orbit and it's a very very original AI plugin for Unity. that lets developers make AI that able to adapt to whatever way player's play their games. Orbit can literally make AI so smart that it can be trained during the game developing process to figure out and then counter a player's style playing the game such as in a fighting game or shooting game as an example. Anyhow I'll let you know how it goes jrDev.

kurotatsu likes this.
  9. rmsulliv

rmsulliv

Looks Fanstastic! Would you mind sending me a version to test out?

10. crafTDev

crafTDev

Great! Let me know how that goes!

I sent you an email to test it out!

Thanks,
    jrDev

11. gshape

gshape

Hi jrDev! It's me again! :p
    I finally upgraded GAC to latest version but the GAC GUI disappeared after that. I have sent you an email just moment ago. Could you please kindly help?
    Thanks!!
    gshape

12. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

I want to let you know that I am taking a mini special vacation for the weekend ;-) but I want to say I have gotten emails and inquiries from a few of you and I will get right on trying to solve your problems when I get the time over the weekend individually.

Try importing the GAC_DefaultEditor asset to make sure you have the GAC_Editor.cs

Thanks,
    jrDev

13. gshape

gshape

Hi jrDev,

As always! Wonderful support and great product! GAC works great for me now! :)
    Thanks!!

gshape

14. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hey there jrDev are you going to make a uScript tutorial with the GAC System since it's supported now? I see you've already done a tutorial on Playmaker so can you do one for uScript too?

15. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey Alexarah,

Yes, I'm actually planning to redo all the tutorial videos and add new ones for a new video series but there has been so much going on personally (one of which includes getting engaged this past weekend). I am going to make one specifically first for uScript tomorrow because you asked and I can focus all day on working on GAC. Let me know if you want to test the beta versions for the new context variables too.

And for those currently testing, I will email Beta version 3 tonite that fixes some bugs and optimized the APIs for setting context; one of which there was a reported problem with setting string contexts. Thanks for report rmsulliv, it's now fixed!

Thanks,
    jrDev

rmsulliv likes this.
  16. Alexarah

Alexarah

What's up jrDev it's me again I'm curious if the GAC System is suitable for a 3d fighting game such as the Naruto Ultimate Ninja series? In case you're not familiar with the Ultimate Ninja style gameplay here's an example. Take note that's an online match.

17. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello Alexarah,

This is possible with GAC. Remember GAC can be called on any GameObject to start combos for, it all depends on the inputs events setup. Context Activators and Combos are coming this month for stuff like air combos etc...

And I know I said I will have tutorials coming, but they are delayed because I am trying to finish up v1.8 since the UI will be changed a bit especially with the new Context Setups. Bare with me guys.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Alexarah likes this.
  18. Alexarah

Alexarah

Cool news jrDev! Another question though. I've been meaning to ask you how would I go about having an opponent play an animation once they're hit. Think of it as the type of hit reaction that we see in fighting and action games. Do you think I could use uScript or Playmaker to achieve this or is it also a planned feature?

19. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Baring with ya, man. Keep up the great work.

20. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello Alexarah,

You can do this 4 ways. Scripting, Playmaker, GAC Target Tracker Hit Detection GUI, or uScript. These four are if you are using GACs provided hit detection system.

Scripting:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (JrDevAssets.GAC.TargetHit(GameObject theObject, GameObject attackerObject)){
    2.        //Damage the gameobject
    3.        objectHealth = objectHealth – 1;
    4. }
    Playmaker:
    PackageHere

GAC Target Tracker Hit Detection:
    Add this to any gameobject that you want to detect hits and set it you using the GUI. This provides a visual hitbox on the object from the topview. In this version you can select only one animation to use but future versions will allow different damage animations to use based on context.

uScript Nodes:
    The 4th option is to use uScript Nodes which I haven't provided in version 1.7 but I can create one right now and add it to the package if you need it. Let me know.

If you want to use another hit detection system (or write your own) you can just have GAC check for when that animation is playing when your hit detection system registers that your character is near/within range etc.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(JrDevAssets.GAC.IsPlaying(gamobject, animName){
    2.       //play the damage animation for the other object that was hit
    3. }
    I am going to create a tutorial of course for the Target Tracker Hit Detection System later. But if you need help in any specific way currently, choose one option and let me know.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  21. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

I've updated the 2D demo for GAC to include the improved Gesture Activators. It now fully works in Web Builds (The current version 1.7 has lots of bugs) and iOS platforms. Check it out by dragging the Mouse cursor up starting from inside the Touch Area Box. Do it twice to do a combo. Let me know what you think. More updates to come this week!

Updated 2D Demo

Thanks,
    jrDev

22. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

I want to say a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone that celebrates!

Thanks,
    jrDev

23. Hazor

Hazor

Hey jrDev

Happy customer here :) Just 2 questions

Is it possible to disable the "hold joystick button pressed" to fire all the combo sequence? Can't find the line over #region Button Activator to do so.

Ay tips for Charged Attacks?

Thanks!

EDIT : Ok, i think i got it, i can do all this things with playmaker lol, this was a so complete experience what i forgot what sometimes you need to do some things for yourself :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  24. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello Hazor, I glad to hear GAC is working great for you and you figured it out, but I still want to attempt to answer your question so others know what to do too.

Could you clarify to me if you are just using the Activator Menu or are you scripting/playmaker?

If you are using Activator Menu make sure the Button Activator isn't set to use 'Default' Event State and use either 'Up' or 'Down', this way the combo only gets called when the joystick button is pushed down or released. This also brings up the perfect time to change the event state names to 'Hold', 'Press' and 'Release' for v1.8.

If Scripting just use the unity events:

GetButtonDown()
    GetButtonUp()

Same thing with Playmaker, just use the Unity Event Button actions that are listed above, this is also shown in the playmaker tutorial video.

I am also looking into integrating charged attacks, did you figure this out using playmaker? Let me know.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Hazor likes this.
  25. Hazor

Hazor

Man, sooooo easy, Thanks ! didn't saw the UP/DOWN Button in the Activator menu.

About Charged Attacks, yes, i made it with playmaker thank you, if anyone interested just a Wait Event and a GAC_play_animation at the end.

upload_2014-12-27_22-11-37.png

26. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey Hazor,

Awesome!

Good to know this works!

Happy New Year to everyone! Version 1.8 is close to release, just a bit more polishing to go.

Thanks,
    jrDev

27. Darkhitori

Darkhitori

Just wondering if you can add support for Adventure Creator too!!!

28. crafTDev

crafTDev

Sure, I'll put on the roadmap.

EDIT: Would you clarify what you would specifically need GAC to support in Adventure Creator? Does it have it's own input event system?

Thanks,
    jrDev

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  29. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

I just want to give everyone a sneak peak at the new updates coming in v1.8

First, the new GAC Target Tracker allows multiple damage animations to use:

The new Context Setup Menu:

The new major overhaul to Touch Gesture Activators; this pic also shows what an activator with context added looks like (The KEY activator) and when adding it to activators (Touch activator):

I am at the final run now for v1.8. Intended launch is for next week with the new guides and videos to follow.

Thanks for all your patience guys, I am working forward to adding all the features everyone wants. More updates to come.

Thanks,
    jrDev

30. Hazor

Hazor

Awesome work jrDev...

Can't wait to try this new features

What can i say, i found 2 problems originally with this product and my game :

The need of multiple animations on hitboxes, as in a non retro style game it's not the same being hit in the head than feet. jrDev included it as 1.8 feature when it was originally planned for 1.9.

Asked for use Rigidbody instead character controller in 3d mode.

Both features are now in 1.8, this kind of interaction between customer and Asset developer is what makes difference between a good and BEST product.

Thanks !

31. Alexarah

Alexarah

What's up jrDev I'm loving your progress on the GAC System more and more! I already see where the GAC System is really suited for developing a game with unreal combos as with the renowned Dynasty Warriors! See this for yourself.

Still not clear when you're adding support for AI for Mechanim but even if it's not in GAC System v1.8 I can still look into using it myself anyway or even using Rain for AI. Anyway looking forward to this upcoming new release! Cheers bro.

32. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words Hazor, I try my best to see what features I can get in from requests.

Hey Alexarah; yes GAC is getting better and better. AI for Mecanim is planned for next version v1.9. I will keep you posted. If you want to test beta of v1.8 let me know.

Thanks,
    jrDev

33. Sendatsu_Yoshimitsu

Sendatsu_Yoshimitsu

This looks like an amazing but I hope you don't mind three possibly silly questions:

First off, in the interests of clean coding I'm trying to keep all of my functionality centralized in a single input manager. Would it be possible to get my existing input system talking to your asset with minimal work, or is GAC intended to run off of its own input buffer?

Second, is your Target Tracker system able to emulate something akin to the targeting style from the Arkham games, where instead of using character facing to determine hits, the game intuits which enemy the player is trying to target based on the direction keys/joystick direction held when the attack is initiated?

Finally, instead of pre-programmed combos, can GAC be configured to work through a state engine, where instead of iterating through a set list of animations in order it randomly chains together animations from a pool? I'm hoping to set something up where a set of 3-5 attack animations can be iterated through in random order for an infinite duration.

34. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello Sendatsu,

Thanks for the interest in GAC.

- GAC was intended for use with little to no coding necessary. I have all the default Unity Inputs supported to use just in the inspector and also DFGUI and InControl 3rd party assets supported, with more to come. But I know a lot of people like their own custom stuff and if you don't mind coding you can do so. You have access to the API to just call GAC any time an input is triggered. So for e.g for pressing the K input on the keyboard:

Use this from API:
    void PlayTheAnimation(GameObject theObject, string StarterName, int Activator)

And the keyboard input example:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Input.GetKeyUp (KeyCode.K)){
    2.         JrDevAssets.GAC.PlayTheAnimation(player1, “Attack1”, 1);
    3. }
    - No, the Target Tracker does not do this, but it is a great idea to look into for later.

- No, GAC does not currently do this but it sounds like another great addition to look into for version 1.9.

Thanks,
    jrDev

35. detournment_19

detournment_19

I'm really excited about this asset! Sorry I haven't read through the entire post but what's the current status for mobile devices? I see on the asset store that mobile support is listed as in beta. Are multiple gesture combos supported for iOS and Android or is that coming soon?

Thanks!

36. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello detournment,

Full mobile support is coming in v1.8 that I am planning to submit to Unity this week.

Thanks for your interest,
    jrDev

37. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Look into InControl which GAC supports, it has mobile controls included that work remarkably.

crafTDev likes this.
  38. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

I want to apologize for the delay of v1.8 release again. Cleaning up code and testing is taking longer and my job has been taking a lot of my time.

I'll update you on status in a few more days.

Thanks,
    jrDev

39. rubble1

rubble1

Hey Eric,

Any news on getting this to work with Plygame?

40. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey daniel,

Will get working on it when I am finished version 1.8. I'm working more hours at day job to pull weight of a coworker that's out because of a family death so my working on GAC speed has slowed down a bit. I apologize and I assure everyone that I am trying my best. (Also I am perfectionist and the time I do get to work on GAC I find small bugs that I won't stop until I fix, this is why I am up to Beta5 now for v1.8 with testing haha).

Thanks,
    jrDev

41. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys, check out the all new GAC 3D demo that I have been working on for the release of V1.8. It shows off all the new features of Context Activators/Combos, Touch Activators for Web, and the updated Hit Detections system.

Check it out HERE!

Also I will be posting more on the update being sent out today. Lots of new stuff! Stay tuned!

Thanks,
    jrDev

42. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

I want to update you all on the decision I've been contemplating and have finally made up my mind about it. There was a lot of work that went into this version of GAC and I felt that it's value has been increased considerably (it took me around 4 months which is not normal; granted I had to pause development because of personal stuff). So I have decided with the new release of GAC coming up this week that it's new base price will be $50. With the new release I am sure you will agree this will be worth it. I also have another announcement I will make as soon as GAC v1.8 has been sent to Asset Store. I am currently working on quite a bit of marketing material. Thanks for your patience as always guys.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  43. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey again guys,

Also check out the all new GAC 2D demo that I have worked on for the release of V1.8. Just like the 3D demo, it shows off all the new features of Context Activators/Combos, Touch Activators for Web, and the updated Hit Detections system.

Check it out HERE!

Stayed tuned for more updates.

Thanks,
    jrDev

44. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Here is a mini update. I have put up a roadmap to follow on GAC's future updates on Trello.

Here is the Link.

I think I've added what most people have asked for so far, but if there is anything requested that is not on their let me know.

Thanks,
    jrDev

kurotatsu likes this.
  45. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Excellent.

46. starbreaker772

starbreaker772

Hi jrDev, I'm really liking G.A.C right now, it's making things things really easy in terms of creating combos. I do have a question about the upcoming Context Menu in 1.8.

Does the context system check values from other scripts? for instance if I have a bool to indicate that I'm grounded or that I have a certain weapon/item equipped G.A.C (through the context system) will check that the bool in question is either true or false so that my character won't do air combo animations while grounded or sword slash animations while I don't have one equipped.

If this is the case can I have multiple context commands for each combo so that if I have a sword equipped and I'm jumping in the air I will do a slash combo in the air as opposed as a grounded slashing combo?

thanks, keep up the good work ;)

47. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello starbreaker,

Currently in v1.8 you can check your variables through code with GAC so wherever you have your variable in script you can set a context check to update it. I'll provide detailed video explanation and manual instructions when it launches on store or if you want you can send me your invoice and I'll send you an early copy. So in one word to answer the question, yes!

Also GAC will allow up to 5 context variables for Activators and 2 per combo sequence.

Thanks,
    jrDev

48. starbreaker772

starbreaker772

Ah, I see. it's just that my project uses two attack buttons (think Bayonetta and the like) where the player can execute different attacks and combos depending on what weapon they have at hand (so of course having different weapons would use different animations and stronger or weaker hit-points: hitting the button attack1 would not go into a sword/staff/etc combo if the related hasWeapon bool wasn't true) and whether they are in the air prior to starting an attack so that it will play a different animation. So I considered that G.A.C would be perfect to simply the process of implementing such features to my project, because I am terrible with programming.
    So thanks, just wanted to clarify that. top notch stuff, jrDev :)

49. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I'm going to be in a similar situation, so I am putting an int variable to represent weapon type, 1 handed, 2 weap, ect. the you can use the new contexts to have each combo start.

50. crafTDev

crafTDev

Yes, GAC v1.8 will allow this and more!

Also guys, I have been contacted about the missing Editor GUI for GAC and noticed that I didn't provide the script initially through the Asset Store by mistake. To solve this is very easy, just go to the Input Sources folder and unpack the asset package called GAC_Default_Editor. I will put this in the OT until version 1.8 launches.

Thanks,
    jrDev