Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Fury Framework - RPG/RTS Creator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andorov, Dec 23, 2011.

1. andorov

andorov

Added tutorial 7, giving units energy (mana) and creating consumable items (mana pots)

Going to work on basic AI next!

2. Darknuke

Darknuke

holy crap this engine is amazing! Watched all the tutorials and love the way it is handled. Very little actual coding needed for prototyping and a ton of expandability.

REALLY looking forward to your AI tutorials. I'm curious how much you've implemented yourself.

My company worked for a year on a project utilizing all the same features (in XNA) you are pretty much handing to people. I would've LOVED to have this back then. Would've saved us a lot of money...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. netics

netics

Wow. I didn't try Fury yet.
    But it looks great!

I am really curious about how you achieved multiplayer feature.
    I have lots of question.

Does it use the Lock-step way?
    If so, all simulation is deterministic?
    So did you use floating-point math? or fixed-point math?
    Can Fury handle multiplayer in different hardware even with iPhone / Android?

4. andorov

andorov

1) It doesn't use lock step.

2) See 1.

3) See 1.

4) See 1.

5) Haven't tested it, but its nothing special so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Don't really feel like getting an iOS/Android device to test it out just yet.

I try to get as close to determinism as possible using standard floating point math and lag-compensating RPCs, then supplement that with state synchronization as well. So far in tests, I've had promising results. Part of the reason I still haven't begun selling it is because I don't want to charge people a feature set I can't deliver, and multiplayer is still very much a work in progress.

5. netics

netics

hmmm...

Can Fury handle a RTS game with over 1000+ unit by syncronization?

6. andorov

andorov

Not even close, we're looking at something around the 100ish unit range.

I hate to bring out the Unity performance red herring, but I doubt you could get anywhere close to 1000 characters on-screen even if the RTS part was working correctly. Its tricky though, because its all bandwidth and interaction dependent. Think of it similar to MMO servers; most can handle 1000+ concurrent users, but they can't handle ~200ish players in close proximity. This framework can definitely NOT handle 1000 units interacting.

7. netics

netics

I was trying tutorial 1.
    After importing HUD package, the console printed many error messages.
    Does it only work in unity 3.5 beta?

8. andorov

andorov

Not necessarily, but if you use anything other than Unity 3.5 PRO, you'll have to implement TutorialX (external pathfinding) so stuff doesn't explode. Just to be safe, can you PM me the FIRST FEW error messages from your console? Screenshots or copy paste will do.

9. netics

netics

"size <= 0"

"!superTemplate.IsDataTemplate ()"

"Blender could not be found.
    Make sure that Blender is installed and the .blend file has Blender as its 'Open with' application!"

+ many warnings.

I am using unity free 3.4.2f3 in windows.

10. andorov

andorov

Okay, you're obviously using the model packs provided, you need Blender (a modelling software) available at blender.org. Its free. Its just required to import those models from the native .blend format into Unity.

11. netics

netics

ooops.
    I installed blender 2.61 and still got error messages.

"Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file.
    You need to use Blender 2.45 or higher for direct Blender import to work."

12. andorov

andorov

13. MEV

MEV

This is incredibly well composed, would love to see how you advance and at which price range this asset will be. :p Can't wait!

14. Zhosay

Zhosay

Add a multiplayer demo and you have +1 Fan :).

15. vdharshan

vdharshan

I tried Fury and it was awesome! Followed all tutorials.. easy to follow and well done !

Few questions..

needs as the way its designed now ?
    1. I tried to make a demo EXE after following your tutorials, btw its not working in the final output. Is this disabled in the free version or is it a bug ? (I'm using Unity3D 3.5.0f1 )

But I will surely buy this if its finished ! how long you have to finish this ? and we need some more tutorials / API documentations... ? I'm not sure but without API docs / tutorials its hard to figure out everything our self right ?

Thanks !

EDIT : I was checking out the XML file provided with the DLL and its easy to review the class and functions.. .good..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  16. sanpats

sanpats

Unity 3.5 is out now. Will you release Fury Framwork to Asset Store soon?

17. andorov

andorov

The launch of 3.5 was kind of a surprise. A good one though!

I'm actually finishing up a full online multiplayer game that utilizes the Fury framework! The game will be released on Kongregate Facebook. It will give any potential buyers a chance to look at how Fury can be used in a very unique way. I will also be releasing the Framework in short (1-2 weeks) time.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  18. Zhosay

Zhosay

Are there alot of changes when you go into release? Or can we continue building with the "beta" and just repleace the dll with the new one then?

19. andorov

andorov

There are almost no breaking changes as of this moment. It should be as simple as replacing the DLL. Most of the work I'm doing right now is internal avoidance/pathfinding stuff, and making sure it works in a reasonably deterministic way (multiplayer) with many units. I'm also working on additional stability checks and error handling; some users contacted me about some vague errors that I've taken care of.

20. Zhosay

Zhosay

Sounds good to me you have any Idea whats the price gonna be? Or not sure yet?

21. andorov

andorov

$100 introductory / early adopter price. Nice round number, I say.

As I solidify the multiplayer, and add new features (fog of war is currently in the works, along with transport units), the price will definitely be going up.

22. Zhosay

Zhosay

Yes sounds good to me, I will buy it for sure. Hope you add some more Videos :).

23. sanpats

sanpats

That's great!

24. andorov

andorov

I just encountered this myself; then I realized that i had "Debug Only" checked for the Launcher component. Obviously, a built .exe is no good for debugging, so the game won't start. Just uncheck the box :)

25. vdharshan

vdharshan

Thanks for the reply. I've already figured out that :) It was a silly question.. also the "Unit.order()" helped me to make the AI move into specific positions.. but I'm still trying to learn this.. more videos or API documentation will help please !

$100 price for this framework is really worth! and I understand that you can increase the price as you add/ improve more features like advanced multiplayer system, etc

I'm already making a game using this framework.. but waiting for more tutorials.. because I'm not sure what im doing is a proper way or not!

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  26. sanpats

sanpats

Can't wait until Fury Framwork is release! I will be one of the very first buyer. :) Hope more documents and tutorials will follow the official release, right?

27. vdharshan

vdharshan

Yeah me too!

andorov - I've sent you a PM with a question on using Fury. Hope you will help me :)

28. bigjenkie

bigjenkie

Just wanted to put another name down as a probably buyer once the pack is released.

29. andorov

andorov

The basic AI tutorial is taking a bit of time. Already onto Part C. :p

Furthermore, many people have contacted me with concerns regarding various parts of the engine, particularly in relation to the CreateUnit/CreateDeposit functions. Some of the criticism was very valid, and has been addressed with the latest build of the engine (not yet available). I should be releasing the basic AI tutorial, as well as a deposit tutorial towards the end of this week.

It looks like the tutorials will go to about part 10. Part 8 will deal with the AI. Part 9 will be deposits and Part 10 will be enabling multiplayer lobbies, etc. When all is said and done, the idea is to have 2 people able to play through a simple demo where they go bash in the face of some enemy units and loot a chest with treasures!

After that, I'll put the whole project up and interested parties can take a look at it.

I've really appreciated all the comments from you guys; both those that have posted on this thread and those that have contacted me through PMs.

30. ImoenViA

ImoenViA

Awesome work!!!!

I cant wait to Purchase your Framework. Im already trying to save Money for it :)

One Question:
    When i buy the Inital release, are all future updates included or will i have to pay for each
    Major release?

31. vdharshan

vdharshan

Thanks for releasing the tutorials and demo scene.. great work!

when the final product is going to be released ? and how much is the cost ?

I gonna buy it as soon as you release it... I also want to ask about the updates.. are future updates will be free ?

Good luck :)

32. Zhosay

Zhosay

Demo link is not working by the way. Thanks for the new videos!

33. vdharshan

vdharshan

demo link not working..

btw yeah!! the new videos are cool!

and this script gives me the error : No overload for method `CreateUnit' takes `4' arguments

I followed your video tutorial..

Code (csharp):
    1. Fury.Behaviors.Manager.Instance.CreateUnit(SpawnType,
    2.             Fury.Behaviors.Manager.Instance.Commanders.First(c=>c.Index == Fury.CommanderIndices.Two),
    3.             transform.position + new Vector3(UnityEngine.Random.Range(-Radius,Radius),0,UnityEngine.Random.Range(-Radius,Radius)),null
    4.             );
    What is the last parameter NetworkMessageInfo ? I tried to use null. and I made sure that the fury dll from the latest package has been replaced..

Thanks.

34. andorov

andorov

Heh, you guys are quick! I updated my main post last night but still haven't uploaded the completed tutorial. Will be doing that within the next few hours.

Don't worry about this. The CreateUnit function has been changed in the upcoming release and you will not have to supply NetworkMessageInfo at all.

35. vdharshan

vdharshan

Thanks.. do you know when we can get the final project up ? this will be on asset store right... ?

also the tutorials are easy to follow and clearly explained. good works..I was waiting for u to release those vids! problem is im not able to try them out due to the missing dll file. :-(

don't hurry up, take your time and make it good :cool:

36. andorov

andorov

I actually just updated the FuryFree package. Go ahead and download it and override your old files. Then you'll be able to follow the rest of the vids.

I'm going to try uploading the completed tutorial by tomorrow night.

37. vdharshan

vdharshan

Thank man :)

Are the remaining tutorials going to cover multiplayer only ?

38. andorov

andorov

As far as programming gameplay goes, there is little difference between multiplayer and singleplayer. The only difference is really that you can take 'shortcuts' on singleplayer, like move things with non-sync'd scripts etc. Everything I program for multiplayer purposes applies to single player.

The rest of the tutorials will probably be user questions. For example, someone asked me how to do projectiles (arrows, grenades, etc), so I will likely do a tutorial on that.

39. vdharshan

vdharshan

thats great. looks like i want to bookmark this thread and visit often :p I too want to make projectile weapons and things like that !

Im getting lot of errors in the SimpleHUD after replacing the DLLs.

eg :
    (Sorry for flooding this thread !!! I understand that HUD is not a big problem, we can make one ourself. and you will post a working project file in the end.)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  40. sanpats

sanpats

Can't access the Demo link.

41. andorov

andorov

One of the dictionary classes was changed a bit; the fix for this is simple.. just delete the ".Value" part inside the loop.

I just heard back from Unity, and it looks like I'm clear to go ahead.

I'll be packaging everything up pretty soon.

42. vdharshan

vdharshan

Great :) I visit this thread few times everyday to see what's going on. We are already making a TD game using ur framework and I'm really impressed with the results! I got some few problems, but I resolved them by some tweaks!

I'm also interested on how to create a projectile weapon.. or something like bow arrow.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  43. andorov

andorov

The whole tutorial project been uploaded!

I'll be submitting it to the asset store soon. The version on the asset store will ofcourse have the full version of the code. :)

44. Zhosay

Zhosay

Wow cool :) looking forward to buy it.

Edit: Oh btw you removed the simple hud is there a way to get it back for reference? So we can create a own interface fast.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  45. andorov

andorov

Ah, yes. I had taken it down to upgrade it, but forgot. I'll re-upload it soon.

46. Zhosay

Zhosay

Okay thanks :) is it just buyable in asset store or you got a own shop too?

47. vdharshan

vdharshan

Great to hear !

Looking forward on the asset store.

48. Saytiras

Saytiras

Hello,

i just wanted to ask if its possible to make an turn-based-strategy game with this framework? And for an RTS game, what kind of unit scale can be expected (100, 500 or even thousands of units)?

49. lionfart

lionfart

i ll ask smthg.When our player died we couldnt resurrect him.i tried many ways to do that but if our player used a pot or smth and died he respawn without any loss.how can i fix that (sorry for my bad english) :D

50. andorov

andorov

There was a small complication with the asset store, but I've resubmitted it today so hopefully it will be up soon.

You would likely have to do a bit of work to get things to work properly like setting up a game clock. It wouldn't be impossible, but you'll definitely not get the smooth experience someone creating an real-time game would.

Do you want to respawn the player with reduced health? You could do something like..
    Code (csharp):
    2. var respawnedHero = CreateUnit(...);
    3. respawnedHero.ModifyHealth(-100);
    4. respawnedHero.ModifyEnergy(-100);
    That would spawn the character and make it look like the character spawned with only partial health.