Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Everloop - Nonlinear Soundtrack KIT

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dustyroom, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Everloop is a pack of 12 ambient loop-able music layers (and 20 SFX sounds), which can be played simultaneously. You make up your own perfect never-repeating soundtrack regardless of synchronization, order, volume, number and combination of layers played — everything will sound smooth and cohesive.

Have fun and try how it works — WEB (HTML5)

The pack includes 12 wav audio tracks and 20 original sound effects (44.1 kHz, 16 bit, Stereo) plus the demo to play around and find the sound perfect for you.

Please post any feedback here or email info (at) dustyroom (dot) com.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. twobob

twobob

The ASSET STORE LINK IS HERE https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/45205

I liked the effect, will there a way to shift positions in the future without getting the scratchy effect?
    Overally I thought this was excellent but I did struggle to see how I might use it in-game.

Perhaps a 3d demo in the style of old Koan-X (1996!) would help people visualise the power?
    http://web.archive.org/web/20011031152347/http://www.sseyo.com/products/koanx/index.html
    http://intermorphic.com/sseyo/koan/x/

Either way clever stuff. I am just not seeing how I might use it yet.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  3. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

To remove the scratchy effect you need to set the volume to zero while shifting positions. I will add that into the todo for the next version of the asset.
    However, when using the tracks in a game you shouldn't have this issue, since the player won't be shifting positions of tracks. For them it is just like a soundtrack that changes depending on their actions/location in game, which they might not even realize. Your job as the game developer is to start/stop the tracks based on the player's behaviour and express the atmosphere through music this way.

We'll think about a demo game to show this off, thanks for the advice!

twobob likes this.
  4. Octopixell

Octopixell

I love the sound from the demo video :) great work!! I was wondering, are you planning on expanding the product, adding more soundloops etc? Once again, great job!!

5. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Thank you, we're glad you like the asset!
    We plan to add new tracks to the package since there is still space to grow. The last update added 5 new tracks (including a rhythm one) that can be mixed in with the existing tracks. We plan to make more updates like that.

twobob likes this.
  6. Octopixell

Octopixell

Thanks for the super fast reply! :) I'll get my copy straight away!

7. twobob

twobob

Ah okay. Sounds good. With a nice blended demo this makes sense to me. The packaging is confuzzling to an old studio head... So in essence the pack is 38 samples that fit nicely together? I think I will pick it up just to see what is in there.
    Could there be a "Community Contributed Samples" section in this things future?

Thanks.

8. Fronne

Fronne

COWABUNGA

Was the first word came up with me, after the first word some more words came up:

Briljant, Magnificent, Perfect, Unsurpassable and so on, and so on...

I LOVE IT...

9. AlexSledge

AlexSledge

My recommendations for an in-game demo would be something like a 3D top down layout of various rooms, have triggers at the room edges/doors to show off various action music which turns on as you enter, and off as you leave the room, various collision objects which can trigger single/short repeat loops of some of the sounds which might be used to indicate various in-game entities. You can likely tie the turning on or off of sequences to when NPCs are in range, and other such examples.

When I first saw the asset I assumed it was designed specifically to be a light weight dynamic music solution, in the vein of your Left4Dead or Vermintide style games, to indicate calm scenes, dramatic scenes, and all the tangents in between, based on the combination of loops.

I went ahead and picked up it up a few minutes ago, but haven't had a chance to give it a go yet - the seamless looping audio tracks themselves have value based on your specific use cases.

twobob likes this.
  10. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Sure, you can use your own audio tracks if you wish. Please look at the info that will help you do that, it's in the FAQ here - http://dustyroom.com/everloop/
    To be honest I don't know how Community Contributed Samples implementation could be held in Unity Asset Store.

Thank you for your comment Alex! The initial the idea of the asset was to stream instant non-repeating soundtracks. So far these are audio files. Now we are very close to implementing the script so that developers could manage their "intensity" or "density" (as well as other things) of the tracks depending on the events. The generation of the soundtrack will be automated. And we think, this opens some new possibilities and directions :D The update will be free of course.
    Thank you!!!!!

twobob and montyfi like this.
  11. gilley033

gilley033

Hello,

I am using the EverloopController and it seems to be playing the same sequence of tracks each time (both in the editor and on my Android device). Also, if I uncheck the "Enable autopilot" option, when I enter Play Mode the option becomes re-enabled. Both issues may be user error, or (for the first error) I may not be understanding what this package does (inspector says auto pilot starts/stops random tracks, so this should produce a unique sound track on each play, correct?).

Here are the settings:
    EverloopSettings.png

Thanks!

12. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Thank you for the questions! The second one is indeed a bug which appeared in the last version. I will submit the update today. For a quicker fix, please find the attached file and replace yours with it.

We can't reproduce the problem with same sequence repeating. Can you please go to EverloopController.cs and replace the first line with this: #define EVERLOOP_VERBOSE. It will output a bunch of information into the Unity's console. Please verify that the tracks are indeed always the same or post few outputs here. We'll try to figure it out.

Attached Files:

twobob likes this.
  13. gilley033

gilley033

Okay, dumb mistake on my part (in my defense, I haven't worked with audio much!), but I had replaced/removed/added Audio Sources on the Everloop Controller and failed to unchecked the "Play on Awake" check box for them, so they were (go figure) playing on awake!

twobob likes this.
  14. nproject

nproject

Hey, can I save / record the music to a single audio file?

Thanks

15. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Hey,

You can use any Digital Audio Workstation for this, for example, Reaper.

16. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  17. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Is this still being worked on? On your website it states that each new update will bring new tracks but it looks like you started with 17 tracks and now only have 18. So.. half an update?

18. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Yes, it is. The latest update was made because we needed to quickly add a asked-for scripting documentation. We'll make a proper update with new layers shortly.

twobob, Stevepunk and Fronne like this.
  19. abhijeet1001

abhijeet1001

Any idea when u guys will be updating ? Also sometimes my music stops for couple seconds completely ( 0 layers playing ) and then resumes in couple of seconds again , any idea what could be the problem ?

twobob likes this.
  20. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

my song is 70 bpm. all loops are identical in length.
    Still everloop in editor gets out of sync after a while

twobob likes this.
  21. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

@Dustyroom Any words on this please?

22. twobob

twobob

Well. Wildly guessing. It's not a beat perfect implementation @zero_equals_zero

Assuming one knows the speed... and the start time.
    One can very simply parse the next intended "start" time and:
    If it is NOT a multiple of "The start time + (4 * 857ms)" one could shift it forwards or backwards slightly to fall on the 1 beat of the bars.

Crude, but more effective than no sync effort whatsoever.
    Which is the capabilities of the extant implementation IIRC - Zero.

Also the track Change interval and variance are non tempo based and would just break stuff unless given better values (Like say 54.864 and 0 for your use case) or even better fire the next ones oneself.
    Hope that helps

upload_2018-12-19_12-6-45.png

(EDIT: Hmm nearer to 3.429 seconds for a full bar, do a function to be hyper accurate)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  23. twobob

twobob

@abhijeet1001 Yeah, not sure about this one. Total guess: it incorrectly thinks layers are playing, or it thinks it is in a state where layers should not play. Create some on-screen / Editor readout of the current state of internal logic (I'm gonna dig around in #define EVERLOOP_VERBOSE and see if it is helpful).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  24. kca

kca

Hi there!

After the release of version 1.8.0, Mar 1, 2022.

I've got these blocking errors:
    (unity version: 2022.3.25f1)

Assets\Everloop\Scripts\EverloopController.cs(166,9): error CS0117: 'Utils' does not contain a definition for 'Shuffle'
    Assets\Everloop\Scripts\EverloopController.cs(187,9): error CS0117: 'Utils' does not contain a definition for 'Shuffle'
    Assets\Everloop\Scripts\EverloopController.cs(306,45): error CS0117: 'Utils' does not contain a definition for 'NormalDistributionRandom'
    Assets\Everloop\Scripts\EverloopController.cs(316,31): error CS0117: 'Utils' does not contain a definition for 'GetOneOfTheFirst'
    Assets\Everloop\Scripts\EverloopController.cs(323,31): error CS0117: 'Utils' does not contain a definition for 'GetOneOfTheFirst'

Could you help me, how to fix it?

Thanks,
    kca

25. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Thanks for reporting this.

Can you please check which Unity version you're using (2022.3.25f1 hasn't been released yet)?

Seems like everything is working on our side. Maybe the asset update downloaded incorrectly? Can you please try right-clicking the Everloop folder in the Project view and selecting Reimport? If that doesn't work, please re-download and re-import the asset.

26. kca

kca

Hi!

Sorry for the typo, 2020.3.25f1.

Reinport, redownload not fixed the errors.

But I tried to use the Everloop asset in an empty project and it worked.
    Also I found that there is an other asset using a Utils.cs file.
    If I remove this asset and then reimport Everloop, it works.
    But of course it is not a favorable solution.

kca

27. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

All Everloop classes are in a namespace, so the Utils class should not collide with the other asset.
    Just in case, I am releasing an update that will explicitly reference Everloop Utils class. Please check for an update later today.

28. kca

kca

Hi!

Thank you for the very-very quick respond.
    The new update works perfectly.

Excellent support.

Thanks again,
    kca

29. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Very cool asset, does this work with all unity platforms?
    I'm exporting to WebGL

30. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Yes, it works everywhere. Our demos built in Unity on WebGL and they work well.

31. jmgek

jmgek

I'm trying to understand what this actually is. Can we extend it with our own tracks? The current tracks don't fit into my game. And there's no documentation on what anything really does.

LaurieAnnis likes this.
  32. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Hi! Everloop is a collection of sounds that can be overlayed on top of each other to create ambient soundtrack. You could place / call them manually or in the code (for simple linear events - be it regular gameplay or being in a game menu). Or you could automatically vary the number of sounds playing simultaneously (for events that are non-linear, or dependent on the player but not on the time). More information about linearity and non-linearity can be found on WIKIPEDIA

> Can we extend it with our own tracks?
    Sure! Record anything you would like to hear in your project. Anything that wouldn't clash with default sound tracks. To do it you might want to skim through a few tips. Record in C major [more info here]. Record while listening to 1-3 tracks playing in your headphones as a reference.

> Documentation
    Scripting reference can be found here: REFERENCE
    What is Everloop: https://dustyroom.com/everloop-page/