Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Etherea1 - Full Planets for Unity3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by imerso, Apr 6, 2012.

1. imerso

imerso

nice. =)

2. ZJP

ZJP

Maybe it's me but i've no or it's impossible to have the shadows ?

3. imerso

imerso

You are right, shadows are currently unsupported.

4. ZJP

ZJP

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  5. imerso

imerso

I am sorry for this inconvenience. The best would be to fix the problem with builtin shadows and enable them.

Regarding the 'Shadow Volumes' tools: as you probably know, shadow volumes have both advantages and disadvantages over shadow maps (the one used by Unity3D). Shadow volumes are pixel-perfect, so they look much higher resolution than shadow maps, but they introduce a lot of new geometry, and require pre-processing on models, etc. Shadow volumes are not so "automatic" like the low-resolution shadow maps.

The only really perfect solution is ray tracing, which is still too slow on current hardware.

I wish to revisit some shaders to see if I can reenable shadows in the planets... but unfortunately I can't promise that, I'm overwhelmed by daily work.

6. ZJP

ZJP

Good luck. Your product is very important for me. I will try one of these tools and keep you informed. ;)

JP

7. eKyNoX

eKyNoX

Wrong thread too, I was awaiting answers and nothing came, then I found this right place :)

I'm very interested about this project but I got some questions about it :

- Is there some documentation with the pack ?
    - Does you explain generally the process of how you did your pack and how it can be easily updated / modified ?
    - Does latest version includes whole universe like here ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqsDwC_UGb4
    - I saw that the terrain and water are not very detailed compared with what can be done in Unity actually (DX11 included) is it because of Unity Indie or there some updates you will make here (HD Textures, more quality stuff ...) ?
    - There was promotions on your website, is it finished ?
    - The C++ or C# version purchase no more exists ?
    - Can your website be redone because it is horrible ^^

Last ones :

Any New Updates ? Is there a place for changelog ?

Please update asset store page and post new updated unity examples.

Keep the good work on.

Thanks for answers

8. imerso

imerso

Hi,

Yes, there is a bit of explanation and two samples.

There is a small, yet unfinished document explaining the technology, covering the basis.

No, but I used Etherea1 to do that.

Some people will find the water sufficiently detailed, some will not.

Yes.

No C++ version beind sold anymore.

Thanks for your opinion.

Changelog is registered at the online repository from where buyers can download any version they wish.

Thanks,

imerso

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  9. imerso

imerso

Thanks.

10. Jacob-Williams

Jacob-Williams

@imerso - I sent you an email a couple of days ago with a few questions, but I am not sure it was a valid email address. What's the best way to contact you with questions?

11. imerso

imerso

Hi, I'll be answering your email in a few minutes.

12. rlevere

rlevere

Hello,

Our company purchased this today and we are having some trouble just getting the included scenes to work properly.

There is an exception thrown when running either of the included scenes:

ReadPixels was called to read pixels from system frame buffer, while not inside drawing frame.
    UnityEngine.Texture2D:ReadPixels(Rect, Int32, Int32, Boolean)
    CQuadtree:GenTerrain() (at Assets/Engine/UnityPro/CQuadtree.cs:392)
    CQuadtree:RefreshTerrain(Vector3, Vector3, Vector3, Boolean) (at Assets/Engine/UnityPro/CQuadtree.cs:952)
    CQuadtree:RefreshTerrain(Vector3, Vector3, Vector3, Boolean) (at Assets/Engine/UnityPro/CQuadtree.cs:963)
    CQuadtree:RefreshTerrain(Vector3, Vector3, Vector3, Boolean) (at Assets/Engine/UnityPro/CQuadtree.cs:963)
    CPlanet:LateUpdate() (at Assets/Engine/CPlanet.cs:450)

There even a couple of compilation errors (easy to fix, but surprising that they're there):

Error 30 A local variable named 'ter' cannot be declared in this scope because it would give a different meaning to 'ter', which is already used in a 'child' scope to denote something else TerrainToolkitEditor.cs 850 12

Error 31 A local variable named 'terData' cannot be declared in this scope because it would give a different meaning to 'terData', which is already used in a 'child' scope to denote something else TerrainToolkitEditor.cs 854 16

We are using the free version of Unity at the moment. I read that you highly recommend the Pro version, but does none of this work with the free version?

Thank you.

13. imerso

imerso

Please check the readme.txt for instructions about how to enable Unity Indie code path and disable the Pro code path.

This is not related to Etherea1, but to other product you have included into your project.

It works under Indie, but you need to follow instructions included in Readme.txt (that is, change a #if lines).

Thanks for your support!

14. rlevere

rlevere

Thank you for the quick reply.

Indeed that is the case. I had installed Etherea1 and the Unity Terrain Toolkit at the same time, but failed to verify where the error was coming from. Sorry about that.

15. rlevere

rlevere

Are trees, grass and other foliage still something you are planning to add in the future?

16. imerso

imerso

There is intention, but I cannot fix a date for improvements. I am engaged in two other projects now, and any Etherea1 improvements wont happen for at least some months.

17. BES

BES

I am not sure ...BUT I think he(imerso) mentioned something about being able to place models on the surface ....if that is the case ..maybe adding a plane, texturing and placing grass and trees on the plane..then putting it on the planet will work? ...that was my plan..

I grabbed this anyway even after imerso said he didn't have time to add that capability at this time(to be able to add trees and grass and such)..

IF I can ever get Unity engine to cooperate with all my assets I might be able to try what I suggested...

18. imerso

imerso

To place models in the surface is not very hard, but there is no builtin support for that currently.

The best way to do that is to implement a "placement editor" which would be done like a game.

Allow the user to fly to somewhere in the planet, and drop prefabs at the place. Then your "editor" would save the prefabs positions.

I may eventually make an example like that, to help people get started in object placement.

19. imerso

imerso

This is still available in the AssetStore.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  20. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

It is there a way to have a heightmap of the hidden parts of the world?. I need to know the altitudes beyond the view of the camera.
    Because, without the camera the world is flat and these informations (altitudes) are VERY important for my project : A simulator with a dynamic campaign. :(

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  21. imerso

imerso

You could set the Lod distances to very high numbers, so it will have detail even when you're far from the planet.

Please note that memory, gpu and cpu use will explode exponentially. Better if you set max split level to just 1 at first, check the impact, rise it to 2, check the impact and so on until you find a balance between detail and resources usage.

22. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

Hi Imerso
    This is absolutely a wonderful project. I need to congratulate you. I wanna ask you a couple of questions. I Did not bought your plugin yet. I was making research about procedural planet generating finally i found you and your project. I have some projects that needs procedural planet/galaxy . So i need to learn about it with all details. If i buy your plugin and analyze its codes. How much time it takes to learn generating planets with every details. ? I am an engineering student so i have limited time to learn about other things :) . Is a summer holiday enough ?

thanks

23. imerso

imerso

Well, I include all the source-code for the project, so you'll have access to every detail.

But even then, the subject is relatively complex, not only because of the "ethereal" nature of procedural generation, but also because of the optimization hacks which make the code a bit difficult to fully understand.

You have two separate things to study: the code optimizations (dynamic space partitioning, dynamic generation of meshes, etc) and procedural generation (variations of Perlin Noise) itself.

I think the exact time it will take for you to understand depends on your own current experience with these subjects. A summer holiday is probably enough.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  24. ZJP

ZJP

25. imerso

imerso

Nice tools, thanks for posting. Have you tried them at all, with any performance improvements?

Some time ago (and you can find that version in the repository), patch generation was using multithread, but I removed that, as multithreaded API calls are not recommended in Unity.

(extra, unrelated text removed).

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  26. ZJP

ZJP

No conclusive results with Etherea. This is a very complicated library. As you know. ;)

This is a 10$ tool. Pretty sure that your customers would buy it, if this improve the final result. ;)

Edit :
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/3586
    http://spicypixel.com/static/developer/concurrency-kit/api-reference/Index.html

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  27. ZJP

ZJP

UP!!

You just killing me guy. Your library doesn't works on DX11 !!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  28. imerso

imerso

And you just by coincidence *after* I mentioned I am considering rewriting Etherea1 in DX11 and call it Etherea2, now desperately needs DX11 support, or you will lose millions by being "limited" to "only" DX9 features? =)

ok.

29. ZJP

ZJP

Where is the message?. Where is this information? I'm very sorry but i missing this info. And, YES, this IS a coincidence. I'm a serious guy. Don't be ironic, please. :evil:

FYI, i bought a DX11 CG and some tools (library) on DX11 for this projet.
    FYI (bis) i found some others limitations with your library, but i do with. So....

Sorry for the typo of the previous post.

Edit :

After reading your messages on these forums, the Mercurial GIT, your web site and my mailling box, i'm found no informations about a new DX11 version. I'm waiting for the link or you talking about that.

Maybe i'm rude, but you need seriously improve your communication.
    My 2 cents.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  30. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Well to be honest update for DX11 compatibility shouldn't be a "new version", what could be a new version is "updates that make use of DX11 features", but just having it work normally under DX11 is something i'd expect out of any DX9 unity plugin, to me if i buy something in unity that's supported on DX9 and it doesn't work on DX11, i consider it a bug.

31. imerso

imerso

Hi,

In a month or two, I am planning to make a big update to Etherea1 on AssetStore:

- Cleaned up code with consistent variable names and better structure;
    - Cleaned up shaders with correct compilation under DX11 (although *not* using DX11 specific features);
    - Lots of performance optimizations;
    - Better planetary generation with less jittering for really huge planets;
    - Better collision detection support (including an alternative detection code without using Physx);
    - Events to callback your code when new terrain patches are generated, so you can easier extend it;
    - Double-precision system for really *huge* universe;
    - Network code using the builtin Unity3D network API.

This is a *lot* of new work, resulting in a much improved version, and I will even include this game in the package:

*** I will have to remove the third-party commercial content (mostly the spacecraft), though, as I bought but dont own redistribution rights for those models.

You can check a demo of what will be in the package here:

http://etherealgalaxy.com

What I have in mind is:

- people who buy/bought Etherea1 before the new package, will get the new, much improved package for just $100;
    - people who already pre-bought the Galaxy package earlier (you know who you are), will be receiving it as a free update;
    - new buyers *after* the new package release will have it for $350.

Thanks,

imerso

32. ZJP

ZJP

33. imerso

imerso

This major update will happen a month or so from now.

Most updates (including cleaned up code, DX11 compatible shaders, better collision detection and the new events) will make it to Etherea1 original package. So, Etherea1 buyers will get all this for free.

The additions for Galaxy handling in a double-precision universe, and that entire space combat game prototype won't make it to Etherea1, but to a new package called Ethereal Galaxy.

I really think that is a fair deal, but I'll be hearing all opinions.

Thanks,

imerso

34. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

Thanks a lot.
    This update does it break a planet? Elevations and reliefs they remain?
    I'm also working on a placement editor and I'd like to keep my existing world.

Btw, what about the shadows?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  35. Marionette

Marionette

no offense, and i'm just going to be blunt, but i'd like to know if the asset in the store works right now. dx11? i'm not interested in the galaxies part. if you will still have the planet tessellation/lod etc i'm interested, otherwise i'm not going to pay $350 for your game nor an additional $100 for fixes and updates that should've been part of the release anyway.

it's the cost of doing business. if I develop something, I feel I have an obligation to support that code, especially if others purchase it. and that means the initial price should include updates unless otherwise stated.

something like this: $150 but there will be no fixes or updates. think that sounds fair? because that's basically what you're implying now by asking for more money to address fixes and features.

EDIT: btw, I apologize if I sound aggressive, not the intention. I do think what you have done is extremely cool, it's the additional money part that bugs me ;(

how do I know that if I pay $350 and something is broke etc, that I won't need to pay another $100 bucks for fixes?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  36. imerso

imerso

Most probably will affect terrain calculations, so yes, almost certain they will change places.

Same as above.

They should come back.

Please note though that I'm currently overwhelmed by daily work, so the update is still in frozen state.

Thanks,

imerso

37. imerso

imerso

This is not what I said, please read again. Fixes will be available for free. Nevertheless, I'm overwhelmed by daily work, and even the fixes are still in frozen state.

Thanks,

imerso

38. Marionette

Marionette

so does the asset that's currently in the store work right now?

39. imerso

imerso

Etherea1 itself works, but is not currently compatible with DX11 projects. If you currently enable the "DX11" option in your Unity3D project, you wont see any planets at all. Some shaders are not compiling on DX11 projects yet.

40. Marionette

Marionette

so I need dx11 to work since I am using with other assets that are using it. if I buy (and update from you?) Etherea1 from the store, I cannot wait a month or 2 for the fixes to be released. my questions are:

are these things already complete and you are just waiting on the asset store?
    - Cleaned up code with consistent variable names and better structure;
    - Cleaned up shaders with correct compilation under DX11 (although *not* using DX11 specific features);
    - Lots of performance optimizations;
    - Better planetary generation with less jittering for really huge planets;
    - Better collision detection support (including an alternative detection code without using Physx);
    - Events to callback your code when new terrain patches are generated, so you can easier extend it;
    - Double-precision system for really *huge* universe;

primarily I need the dx11 shaders working and better collision (if possible). the other stuff I can wait on. I'm interested in Etherea1 only, not the 'galaxies' package.

if this is acceptable, I will purchase as soon as you respond.

41. ZJP

ZJP

This is a very good tool. In fact, my only 'waiting' is:
    I can wait months and years for other optimizations. ;)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  42. Marionette

Marionette

agreed ;)

months mebbe, but certainly not years ;)

43. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I'm surprised this is such a long term issue, i mean afaik very little breaks from DX9 to 11? (just 11 not accepting the lazy intialisation that's about it no?)

44. Marionette

Marionette

pretty much. there are a few other little things, but I imagine the changes required are probably due to the implementations of those shaders more and not the shaders themselves. correct Mr. Nunes?

another question: now that unity has released 4.2, will it still be compatible or are those yet more changes required?

45. ZJP

ZJP

No pb with Unity 4.2.x. Seem a bit faster.

46. BES

BES

Nice ...this looks awesome ... I know you are busy but this would be very helpful to my project if you finish it.

I don't believe that people on here should be so harsh about things... but I DO hope you follow through and release this before next year..

47. ZJP

ZJP

Any news?

48. BES

BES

He doesn't seem to be looking at this thread any more ...or else he would have answered by now.. and his method for updating the source code is a bit annoying ...would like a different source to download it from if there are any updates(probably aren't any, but whatever)..

My opinion is that if someone is going to charge so much for an asset ..the least they can do is keep any eye on this forum and respond to people..

49. ZJP

ZJP

So, any news? !!! :(

50. imerso

imerso

Hi,

There are no news. I don't have more time to spend on improvements to this extension, so it's now frozen for the time being.

When I have any news about this extension, I'll make sure that I post it clearly on this forum and in the Asset Store.

Thanks,

imerso.