Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Teila

Teila

@AliAkbar

Just to let you know, the pdf download for the new examples does not work. :)

AliAkbar likes this.
  2. FlodLab

FlodLab

HI @AliAkbar

I want to have something like a chest in a room but maximal one per room - but i got stuck.

I tried using a SelectorRule but i couldn't find a reference to the current room or something.

AliAkbar likes this.
  3. Voltarrens

Voltarrens

Just discovered your post and I'm very impressed with the work you've done. Well done, keep it up and want to see more so I'll keep watching. :) Just having a look at what's possible, my mind is ticking over with ideas I could carry out to create environments without too much fuss, being an artist and not a programmer.

AliAkbar likes this.
  4. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Teila thanks for the heads up. I'll have that fixed

Teila likes this.
  5. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Floddi Drop this script into your dungeon game object.

You can specify as many props you'd like to have from the array. Specify a marker name (which you can use to attach your chest from the theme file). The probability is how often you want this marker to be available in the room (0.5 if you just want it 50% of the time). CenterToEdgeRatio is 0 = center of the room,, 1 = edge of the room on the walls. 0.8 for it near the walls. It takes care of rotating the marker to face the opposite side of the walls

If you want more than one chest in the room, add more entries to the list

Attached Files:

c-Row likes this.
  6. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thank you @Voltarrens!

Voltarrens likes this.
  7. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

SharpNav has some heavy allocations. Have you tried to compile it to a DLL and see if it reduces the allocations any? I know that allows some sensible C# coding (foreach and such) without the extra Unity allocations.

8. c-Row

c-Row

Bought! Guess I know what I am going to do this weekend. :D

wheezygeezer likes this.
  9. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thanks @c-Row! Let us know what you create

10. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Fixed scaling issue with 2d sprites (4x4 sprite)

11. Ryrumeli

Ryrumeli

This is an asset which I have been keeping my tabs on. I will be honest in saying that the only reason I haven't yet bought it was the fact our team has already adquired DunGen and it fits our current needs. However I have to say that when this asset has a form of flow control allowing gameplay rules such as Midboss Room, Key Room, Boss Rooms and the like to impact the generated maps in a more controlled way, frankly based on what I have seen it might actually kick our game's quality up a knotch, if we can add ceiling and vertical dungeons as impressive as your catedral one.

Definitely keeping tabs on this topic to know the updates in this asset, and when it has such a feature I will honestly see this in a level of impulse purchase for me. :)

AliAkbar likes this.
  12. c-Row

c-Row

Hello @AliAkbar

Whenever I try and change the Z scale to a value lower than 1 (0.5 for example) Unity seems to freeze for a couple of seconds. Sometimes it comes back on its own, other times I need to click another input field to make it react again. Furthermore I get 999+ log messages as follows (mostly the second).

This happens with both the bundled dungeon themes as well as a new theme with simple 3D objects only. I suppose this is a problem with scaling to a zero value (Unity tries to auto-update the scale as soon as I enter "0" when I want to enter "0.5") though I don't quite understand why it only happens on the Z scale.

Furthermore, updating the paint mode selection square's X and Z position in the scene edit view seems to be rather laggy on my machine (despite my game-ready setup). Painting the tiles themselves works fine, though, as well as changing its height via the mousewheel.

AliAkbar likes this.
  13. c-Row

c-Row

After a bit of experimenting I realized that for now entering "5" and then putting a decimal point before it to end up with a Z scale of "0.5" works fine.

14. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@c-Row I'll look into this and fix it

15. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Dungeon of Isaac? :)

WEB DEMO

Created a new builder that generates levels like Binding of Isaac and some more interesting variations. Still a WIP and will be available in the next update. It uses the new spatial constraint feature to select sprites/gameobjects based on nearby geometry. This gives a lot of flexibility while designing your themes. More on this tomorrow.

PS: Some cases of holes in the room needs to be handled in the theme file by adding more sprite variations. So you'll see some weird hole / wall combo inside the room sometimes. This is not a bug, but is due to the lack of sprite variations of those cases in the theme file

Awesome art by Daniel

c-Row and Arganth like this.
  16. ruairiau

ruairiau

@AliAkbar
    I was getting build errors on the Mac with a file called Bulk_Generics.cpp (null reference errors) and managed to track it down to the navigation code in Dungeon Architect. By removing SharpNav and your navigation code that was dependent on it, I managed to resolve the issue.

AliAkbar likes this.
  17. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've fixed the issue

c-Row likes this.
  18. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@ruairiau I'll have a look

19. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Revamped the builder with proper 2D support. You now have access to 2D specific markers (Ground2D, Wall2D, Door2D). You use spatial constraints to apply different sprites on the marker with a easy to use visual editor

You attach all your wall sprites under the same Wall2D marker and assign how the layout constraint of the nearby tile should look like. The above example shows a constraint for a wall corner tile.

20. c-Row

c-Row

Great - any idea when the update will be live?

AliAkbar likes this.
  21. PeterShoferistov

PeterShoferistov

AliAkbar likes this.
  22. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@PeterShoferistov I am planning to add a procedural platformer builder to create side scrolling games (2D and 3D) in the near future. It should be easy to implement it as a builder and I was looking at this algorithm apart from other algorithms for creating mario like levels. Do you have any good papers / articles in mind for the algorithm?

23. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've submitted to Unity for review. It will be available soon

c-Row likes this.
  24. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

It looks like 1.2.0 is now available in the asset store.

25. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I am definitely keeping an eye on this. Procedural 2D\2.5D platform level generation would be an amazing addition!

26. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

27. hammertime2014

hammertime2014

Hey @AliAkbar , DA looks great and I think you just saved me a TONNE of work. I'm trying to read up on Recast and NavSharp to see what it offers but have a quick question as I'm not sure how much navagent support there is.

Looking at A* Pathfinding Project Pro (https://goo.gl/joQqyn), would it be possible for us to get it to work with DA do you think?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  28. Razmot

Razmot

Can the the whole dungeon be constrained in a volume ? I would like to generate the dungeon inside a hull.

I could add negation volumes around the hull and rebuild, but it would be way more efficient to have the functionality in the layout generation phase !

29. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

There is no answer for a long time.

It is a bad signal.

30. syscrusher

syscrusher

I wouldn't be too worried. There are both Unreal and Unity versions of DA, and also I believe he's deeply involved in a version upgrade (if I recall correctly). His last reply was March 25, which is only about 6 posts back from this one. He's probably just busy.

31. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Seems not to be so good at so few Disskusion architect dungeon about ? I do not see new images and no hassle he followed up by the developer his project

32. zbzbz

zbzbz

It's giving me all compile errors...

33. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hi everyone. I'm sorry, life got in the way. I had to be in another city for a while.

@Razmot, I've added an inverse flag in the negation volume. If enabled, it negates everything outside the volume, so you can constraint you dungeon with in

Negation volume without inverse

Negation volume with inverse enabled. This makes sure the dungeon is within the bounds

daschatten, Razmot and hopeful like this.
  34. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@zbzbz could you give me more info so I can reproduce it locally? What is your unity version. Also please post the errors messages

Thanks!

35. zbzbz

zbzbz

ss+(2016-04-23+at+02.44.06).png

Attached Files:

36. zbzbz

zbzbz

5.0.1 and 5.3 none work

37. zbzbz

zbzbz

Attached Files:

38. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

You have compiler errors. Look in the console to see those and figure out what is causing the errors. Open the console from the Window -> Console menu item.

39. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@zbzbz Thanks for the console log. I tried here and cannot reproduce it locally (Unity 5.3.3 and DA 1.2.0). Please do a clean reimport
    • Delete the DungeonArchitect folder and DungeonArchitect_Samples) folder
    • Update DA from the asset store to the latest version (1.2.0)
    • Import
    Let me know if you still face the issue

40. zbzbz

zbzbz

Nope you got it fixed thanks! Btw can you leave a tutorial on roofs?

41. zbzbz

zbzbz

How do I add custom scripts?

42. Razmot

Razmot

Thanks for the "inverse negation" - let's call it a positive volume ;)

Is it possible to have pre-made parts, made by hand with the tiles, that connect to the dungeon ?

Like this :

1.jpg

Then generate the dungeon in the volume to obtain this :

2.jpg

Like your hand painting feature, but reversed :

I want to design a set of fine tuned dungeon parts in advance, like shells, and then fill the rest procedurally (at runtime if possible). My objective is to let players assemble "dungeons shells" in game and fill the inside with procedural elements. Except in reality my "dungeons" are spaceships ;)

Here the airlock is hand made and the wall / floor tiles would be generated by dungeon architect :

3.jpg

Btw, do you have the unity version of the top down sci fi manufactura theme ? Or a good screenshot of the unreal theme maybe :)

AliAkbar and syscrusher like this.
  43. syscrusher

syscrusher

I love the idea of this. Hand-craft the layout and topology of a map, carefully planning encounter zones and strategic combat options such as raised platforms and cover, then automate the tedious parts. This concept could save a ton of time for things like guard barracks where the rooms can follow a more-or-less common pattern, but you want some variation in furniture and clutter placement.

44. yohami

yohami

Hi AliAkbar,

Im new to DA, I want to create prefabs of rooms / segments and have DA include them when creating the map. Where should I look to add this?

Thanks,
    Yohami

45. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

I have a small problem; the asset i'm using for the dungeon has walls but they're only one simple plane; thus making normal facing one direction ... how can I detect the direction of the wall so i can 'flip' rotation 180° ?

46. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Also, adding a custom emitter :

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using DungeonArchitect;
    4. using DungeonArchitect.Utils;
    6. namespace DungeonArchitect
    7. {
    8.     public class RoofGabelEmitter : DungeonMarkerEmitter
    9.     {
    10.         public float elevation = 1;
    11.         public string markerName = "Gable";
    12.         public override void EmitMarkers(DungeonBuilder builder)
    13.         {
    14.             if (!(builder is GridDungeonBuilder))
    15.             {
    16.                 Debug.LogWarning("Unsupported builder type used with marker emitter MarkerEmitterFindLowestPoint. Expected GridDungeonBuilder. Received:" + (builder != null ? builder.GetType().ToString() : "null"));
    17.                 return;
    18.             }
    19.             var gridModel = builder.Model as GridDungeonModel;
    20.             var gridSize = gridModel.Config.GridCellSize;
    22.             foreach (var cell in gridModel.Cells)
    23.             {
    24.                 if (cell.CellType != CellType.Room) continue;
    25.                 var location = cell.Bounds.Location * gridSize;
    26.                 var y = cell.Bounds.Location.y;
    27.                 var isize = cell.Bounds.Size;
    28.                 for (float x = 0; x <= isize.x + 0.001f; x += 0.5f)
    29.                 {
    30.                     var mult = (float)x / isize.x;
    31.                     var angle = 0;
    32.                     if (mult > 0.5f)
    33.                     {
    34.                         mult = 1 - mult;
    35.                         angle = 180;
    36.                     }
    37.                     var height = mult * elevation;
    38.                     for (float z = 0; z <= isize.z + 0.001f; z += 0.5f)
    39.                     {
    40.                         var position = location + Vector3.Scale(new Vector3(x, y + height, z), gridSize);
    41.                         var rotation = Quaternion.Euler(0, angle, 0);
    42.                         var transform = Matrix4x4.TRS(position, rotation, Vector3.one);
    43.                         builder.EmitMarker(markerName, transform, new IntVector((int)x, (int)y, (int)z), 0);
    44.                     }
    45.                 }
    46.             }
    47.         }
    48.     }
    49. }
    I don't see the new emitter:

I have quit restarted rebuild everything still doesn't show ... what's wrong here ?

47. Chibwemwn

Chibwemwn

Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble implementing tile based movement using dungeon architect's pathfinding. How can I go about implementing non-diagonal tile based movement? Any Examples would help.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  48. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Why not use Unity's navmesh ?

49. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I experimented with that while building Eternal Crypt. Try adding a Platform volume to your pre-built room prefab. When you drop it in (and set the dungeon reference in the volume), the dungeon should build a room around it as you move it

50. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@yohami You can insert your prefabs in the middle of the room like in this:

1. Drop in this script in your DungeonGrid game object: DungeonArchitect_Samples\Support\Scripts\Emitters\RoomMidEmitter
    2. Go to your theme file and create a marker named "RoomCenter"
    3. Rename the marker to "RoomCenter". Add you pre-built room prefab here and it will show up

Some examples:

It is not perfect as you cannot control the room size to match up with the prefab size. The game Ziggurat has a nice and simple system of pre-built rooms (1x1, 1x2. 2x2, 2x3 etc) and it works very well. I'll builder like that is in my todo list

Razmot likes this.