Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@PeteLaChatte Would adding two instances of the same mesh rotated 180 degrees help? This would block it on both the sides (you'll need to add two mesh nodes under the same marker and uncheck "consume on attach")

DA takes care of rotating the wall meshes properly so the normals are consistent. Sometimes it might be desirable to have only one sided walls like in the TaD sewer demo where the wall do not block the player view

Also, are you happy with the changes in the new 2D features in v1.2. Let me know if you face any issues or have any suggestions

2. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@PeteLaChatte The marker will not show up automatically in the theme file. You have to create it manually (Right click and choose "Add Marker Node" (this is by design)

If you choose to emit a marker in your script (like "Gable"), It will pick it up in the theme file if you have defined it and execute everything underneath it

3. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Chibwemwn DA's path finder uses Recast, which works in a triangle nav mesh (like unity's built-in nav system) and is not tile based. So tile based path finding is not supported.

4. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

@AliAkbar

What is on your roadmap for the next release of Dungeon Architect?

5. PeterShoferistov

PeterShoferistov

Awesome! Yeah, I've also seen this algorithm before and it seemed like fine. Unfortunately I couldn't find any good tutorials about 2d platformers generation. I've created my own a while ago for one of my games but it was pretty far from being perfect. I've used room prefabs with different sizes (4x4, 8x5, 3x7 etc) which had spawnpoints on them. During the generation script was connecting one room to another and placing different objects (obstacles, enemies, decorations) to the specific spawnpoints and that was pretty much everything. I'm not sure that this method will fit to your generator, the algorithm that you provided should be better probably. Here is the screenshot with some generated levels for my game (Rogue Heroes):

6. Chibwemwn

Chibwemwn

Thanks for letting me know.

7. yohami

yohami

Thanks AliAkbar,

More than something to place in a room, I'd like to do the room itself, have doors and have the Dungeon Architect use it when building the map. I want to have pre-made rooms with their own obstacles, enemy placement, etc, for more complex level design, but keep the flexibility of DA for tying up many of these rooms.

Take a look at this game for example

8. adiohea

adiohea

Has anyone had any success getting Spatial Constraints to work in a 3D Dungeon Grid? I haven't a clue how to implement this feature and I can't find anything about it in the documentation or online. I see the post in March where @AliAkbar uses it in the 2D dungeon, but it doesn't seem to be as cut and dry as that. Am I missing a script attachment? Is this a 2D only feature?

9. Astarorr

Astarorr

AliAkbar, i wrote you few emails, and posted two questions on AnswerHub. No answers fo 3 weeks. Pls, check your email and AnserHub pls.

10. EmpI

EmpI

Is there a way to get a special Selection Rule script such that an item only spawns once in the level? I want my dungeons to have special Ground objects that coorespond to the entrance and exit of the dungeon. Is there a way to do this? Preferably where they spawn inside a room and only inside a room?

Also, how do I get the maze to generate only during runtime, and delete itself on scene end?

Edit: Figured out the Runtime thing. Create a GameObject with the Regenerate Dungeon Layout script attached, and don't forget to add the DungeonGrid to the Dungeon gameobject. Also, disabling the Spacebar input regenerates dungeon thing helps.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  11. arturmandas

arturmandas

Hello,
    is this project still alive? I am considering a purchase, but am not receiving an answer from the developer as to my questions. Are any bugs found (if any) being solved?

12. Astarorr

Astarorr

That's strange - he wasn't here (Unity forum) for about month and not responding on emails, but very active on Unreal forums.

13. hopeful

hopeful

He may not be getting any forum notifications. Probably best to tag him - @AliAkbar - when you ask him a question. Or send him a PM or support email.

14. Astarorr

Astarorr

Already sent him two emails, posted on his support forum - no luck. Looks like it's better for me to give up on this asset.

15. adiohea

adiohea

if support is a concern look elsewhere....

16. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

17. Teila

Teila

Probably, but providing support for your product should be a given. If you can't do both, then you shouldn't release both. Sad because this is a great asset. However, he has only been gone a little over a month.

TeagansDad and PhoenixRising1 like this.
  18. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

It's not good for any future sales though. I was gonna pick this up when I get to the level design process of development but I will definitely think twice if the support is not up to standards. The asset does look amazing though.

19. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Agreed.

In my case I knew that it was a risk since he has to support the product on two platforms (Unity and Unreal) before I purchased.

20. arturmandas

arturmandas

Thank you for responses. As this definitely is not an unpack-and-forget kind of asset, but a one you need to customize like heavily, I will wait to see how this things develops. From what I've researched this looks like the most advanced level generator out there, but at that price the support should be swift and outstanding.

21. Arganth

Arganth

and in case there is always DUNGEN (for people who like to design their rooms individually) ;)
    which i am very happy with (only drawback is there is only "one" critical path and no circles)

22. arturmandas

arturmandas

I've decided to buy it anyway. So far the system looks very promising, but still, there could be more documentation on the grid builder component - a visual explanation would do.

Also, I have a question - there's a Marker Emitter Corner Beautifier - which is what I needed, since default separators are not what I want for corners. The problem is - it works on a global basis, which means when I make a corner, it affects not only rooms, but also fences, which is not what I want. Is there a way to plug it locally in the graph window?
    Best!

23. grogshotgames

grogshotgames

Hello,

I'd like to have some questions answered before purchasing. I would basically like to use it as a visual editor.

1) I'm interested in the 2D part. Has anyone tried it out? Any major issue with it?
    2) We're going to do an open world project. Would this suitable for it? I was thinking of using walls and such as obstacles, and several pathable tiles where the player can move in.
    3) Is it possible to mix two or more different kinds of floors together?
    4) Might have ask this as 1), but anyway... I guess procedural generation isn't forced when using the plugin, right? Meaning I can use my own hand-made scenes.

Thanks!

24. arturmandas

arturmandas

I hope the dev is working on a new version (judging from Unreal Engine foras) because receiving a feedback is not possible here right now. None of my questions were answered so far.

As to your questions:
    Ad 1. search the previous posts, there were some questions/issues pertaining to 2D.
    Ad 2. you can stitich many dungeons together, so I guess yes.
    Ad 3. Yes.
    Ad 4. It is forced, but you can put special Volumes, that give you more control over what is where (though limited). You can also paint (i.e. modify) a generated layout.

25. grogshotgames

grogshotgames

Thanks for answering.
    Will consider getting it then :/

26. arturmandas

arturmandas

27. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

I can not understand the developer.

He made a really good product. But he is discontinuing support.

breaking support is killing the products himself.

28. arturmandas

arturmandas

I hope the situation will get better as soon as 2.0 is released (which is about to be very soon). Check out nice features on Unreal forum.

29. Arganth

Arganth

have you posted on the unreal forum? I would put some pressure there and ask if unity support is not continued
    and if he intends the same for his unreal products :p

really glad i did not buy it ^^

30. S4G4N

S4G4N

I posted in the UE4 forum HERE and asked the question

31. arturmandas

arturmandas

Well, the product is good, but the support could be much better.

32. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

We purshase unity asset

There is no need to say unreal.

Doee he not like Unity?

He does not come to the Unity Forum. He does not respond to Unity Forum's questions.

33. S4G4N

S4G4N

I don't think there is any need to worry, He replied in the Unreal Forum, said he would soon come update here as well.
    He seems to be focused on development so lets wait for him to reply ;)

34. arturmandas

arturmandas

Yep. If I were to choose between features and support, I choose the former ;)

S4G4N likes this.
  35. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hi everyone. I'm sorry for the lack of update past few weeks. Please accept my sincere apology and I'll work on providing active support moving forward.

I'm working on adding new features to unity (and ue4). I've also have some bug fixed which I'll push in the next update

Here's a new floor plan builder that solves multi-level dungeons issues that is not handled well with the grid builder (good for multi-story buildings and dungeons)

I don't have pretty assets for this yet. It should look like this (ue4 version which has the same features like the unity version)

I'm working on adding some volumes to it's easy to drop in your lift / staircase prefabs to connect the floors

Xepherys, Griffo, TeagansDad and 5 others like this.
  36. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@adiohea Spatial constraints works with 3D. The OutdoorCliff theme has some samples. I'll add documentation for it soon

37. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@EmpI You could use a marker emitter for this. The shooter demo has a sample where I find the spawn point and a single end goal point in the level. Let me know if you need more info on this

38. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@arturmandas you can use a 2x2 spatial constraints to find corners. I'll add samples for it. I'll also emit those corner markers by default from the grid builder

39. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've added improvements to the 2D features in the last update and spatial constraints fixed most of the issues reported in 2D earlier.

However, editing wise, the grid builder's 2D theming is somewhat limited especially if you want to decorate outside the bounds and have height variations. I think 2D looks good with the Isaac builder though:

The grid builder doesn't support overlapping floors. I'm creating a new builder for it. As for manual dungeon editing, you can paint your layouts in the scene view

Hans likes this.
  40. adiohea

adiohea

Good to hear! I was looking to use them to find corners, but using them seemed to have no effect on anything. I'm looking forward to seeing how it is done, I'll also take another look at the OutdoorCliff theme.

Glad to see you here, I had about givin up on the unity version of this asset. Your city builder for UE4 looks amazing btw. Any plans for a unity version?

S4G4N likes this.
  41. S4G4N

S4G4N

It has already been released and can be bought HERE

42. adiohea

adiohea

I am talking about THIS

S4G4N likes this.
  43. arturmandas

arturmandas

Well, I would like that, too.

S4G4N likes this.
  44. S4G4N

S4G4N

as far as I know it is a completely new and separate plug-in and standalone from DA

45. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thanks! It's still in early development though. I'll resume working on it after finalising DA 2.0 (for unity and ue4) and Landscape Architect

I'm working on a new type of builder for DA that's inspired by Doom SnapMap where you connect modules with predefined doors (also similar to DunGen in some ways)

I want to have similar functionality in the editor like in Doom SnapMap. I'm building it in UE4 first as I have access to all of the UE4 editor source code and it makes it easy to prototype advanced editor code. I'll port it over to unity right after

Razmot and S4G4N like this.
  46. arturmandas

arturmandas

Hi Ali,
    great to hear you are working on SnapMap mode! Will it be available in 2.0 or a later revision? I admit I would like smaller increments, but more frequent. Could you tell us the estimate for unity version 2.0 (is it like two weeks, month, or longer)?

AliAkbar likes this.
  47. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@arturmandas I'll release maintenance release sooner. I'm working on bug fixes to be released soon.

Some fixes include fixing 3D spatial constraint, landscape room ground textures etc

48. arturmandas

arturmandas

@AliAkbar that new Spatial Constraint looks fabulous!

49. adiohea

adiohea

@AliAkbar that new 3D Spatial Constraint is perfect! Well done sir!

50. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Submitted a new build for review (1.3.0)

* Fixed spatial constraints for 3D
    * Removed overlapping fence / walls
    * Optimized the nav mesh agent to update at customizable timesteps
    * Added a callback on the navigation build complete event
    * Added an experimental floor plan builder
    * Added spatial constraint sample scene
    * Fixed landscape transformer not painting the room ground textures properly
    * Added tooltips to the Grid configuration fields