Search Unity

[70% OFF - FLASH DEAL] Dialogue System for Unity - easy conversations, quests, and more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TonyLi, Oct 12, 2013.

1. TonyLi

TonyLi

Unfortunately, it's not always possible. Newer versions sometimes introduce API changes. In Unity 4.x, you have to use Screen.lockCursor to lock the cursor. This is gone in Unity 5.x, replaced by Cursor.lockState. When 4.x is the only version available, you have no idea that Screen.lockCursor will go away and that there will be a new Cursor.lockState.

That said, if you're adding backward compatibility, it's better to add conditionals for the old version and let the default be the current version. This is better:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #if UNITY_3_5
    2.     // old backwards-compatible code
    3. #else
    4.     // current code
    5. #endif
    than this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #if UNITY_4_0 || UNITY_4_1 || UNITY_4_2 || UNITY_4_3 || UNITY_4_5 || UNITY_4_6
    2.     // current code
    3. #else
    4.     // old backwards-compatible code
    5. #endif
    In the latter, you have to keep adding conditions as new versions come out.

I have old C and C++ habits. If I can manage to break them, I'll switch from #if..#endif to conditional attributes in C#:
    Code (csharp):
    1. [Conditional("UNITY_3_5")]
    2. void MyRoutine() {
    3.     // old backwards-compatible code
    4. }
    6. [Conditional("!UNITY_3_5")]
    7. void MyRoutine() {
    8.     // current code
    9. }

2. eridani

eridani

Thanks Tony! I learn something new every day.

3. Vilhelmus

Vilhelmus

I actually upgraded back to Unity 4.5 because 4.6 doesn't work with anything. It's just uGUI hype and has more bugs than someone should pay $75.00 a month for. After reinstalling 4.5 everything works perfectly. Unity added a new license server check that causes CTD if you have Pro installed and are accessing adt.exe at the time the license check happens with Android Basic it will CTD evey time, and whether you saved your scene or not will revert to the previous license check time. The Free version doesn't do this but to pay $75.00 for the privilege of destroying my work is ridiculous. It was suggested to only pay the $75.00 pro fee when actually publishing, which is actually a good idea.
    That said, this asset has been perfect using 4.5. My previous complaints against it now withdrawn and invalid.

4. Vilhelmus

Vilhelmus

btw, that's not a bash at Unity or Dialogue System either, just speaking in tone for everyone to learn from my experience. Most assets don't work with Unity 4.6 yet....

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

All core Dialogue System features have been tested on 4.6. If/when you return to 4.6, if notice any issues please let me know! The third-party support packages have been tested against the versions of Unity they were released with (e.g., 4.5 for UFPS support), so if you notice any issues with those, too, again please let me know.

6. Vilhelmus

Vilhelmus

I unfortunately had to return to 4.6 as my project couldn't be downgraded to 4.5 since I rebuilt the GUI in uGUI :(
    The problem I'm seeing is the dropdown boxes in 4.6 sometimes are blank. In this example, I'm using the AnimatorOnConversation (that may not be the correct name, but I can't open it until I reinstall 4.6). Sometimes they drop down allowing me to select my Dialogue.xml and other times they are blank and won't drop down to allow me to choose the Dialogue. I noticed if I quickly move the layout left/right that it will flash, disapear, reappear, but I also noticed this with other assets. My guess is this is a conflict with EditorGUI since every version is different and requires tweaking (Unity that is).

Edit: I think this is a resolution issue on my end. Using a 60" monitor and 1920x1080 resolution might be scrambling the Unity Editor. If I reset the layout when this happens, it fixes the issue, and if I set the resolution below HD it fixes the issue. All seems good now, thanks for the help.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  7. Vilhelmus

Vilhelmus

I'm back... sorry.
    In the source code is missing Rotorz and DialogueSystem.cs, so Rotorz is okay using the dll, but unable to apply a ReferenceDatabase to the CoversationTrigger or DialogueSystemController without a reference to the DialogueDatabase class.

Edit: Found the namespace DialogueSystem, but no reference to DialogueDatabase except in preload so I can't apply it to... see above.

Okay, old db from dll version can'r support the source version. Any way to merge them? Making a new db works.

It was just mixed serialization. Binary for dll and text for source. Got it figured out, just reserialized it to text and merged with a new one. Or, I could have used the converter you supply with the asset. :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  8. Vilhelmus

Vilhelmus

I thought I would give it 8 hours, but there's a bug in SetAnimatorEventOnDialogueEvent with U4.6. It won't allow selecting the conversation dropdown box. I think you need to add a referencedatabase variable.

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Vilhelmus - You're correct. The basic triggers (Conversation, Bark, Sequence, Quest, and Lua) have custom editors with Referenced Database and dropdowns. The "On Dialogue Event" triggers do not yet have the dropdowns. These will be added in the upcoming v1.4.2.

Also, you mentioned Rotorz. The Dialogue System only used Rotorz Reorderable List in v1.3.9. It was removed in v1.4.0 because UMA (open source Unity Multipurpose Avatar) has an issue. Someone added a customized version of Rotorz Reorderable List to UMA with a different namespace but didn't change the assembly GUID, so it's not compatible with any assets that use the regular Rotorz Reorderable List. I recommend updating to Dialogue System v1.4.1, which is the current version on the Asset Store. Then you can remove the Rotorz DLL. Version 1.4.1 also includes some additions to the Unity UI support package as documented in the release notes.

10. Vilhelmus

Vilhelmus

Thanks Tony. The Rotorz reference was being requested in the source in 1.4.0 after removing the dll's. I redownloaded to be sure it was the latest version so now I have 1.4.1. I just removed those include headers. Everything is working fine after more reading I just found to add the animator state in the conversation sequence in the popup editor itself which is easier anyways now that I know the syntax. Thanks for the support.

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

Happy to help!

12. RaiuLyn

RaiuLyn

Hi TonyLi, has the SetPortrait() function changed or did I make a mistake here? Untitled-1.jpg

13. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @RaiuLyn - SetPortrait() is a sequencer command. Just move it to the Sequence field, and you should be good to go!

Or, if you want to set the speaker's portrait for this dialogue node, put this in the Dialogue Text:

Hello! [pic=1]

and remove the SetPortrait() sequencer command. The SetPortrait() sequencer command is useful for setting other characters' portraits. But if you just want to set the speaker's portrait, it's easier to use the [pic=#] markup tag directly in Dialogue Text.

14. Archania

Archania

Tony is the process to add the rpgkit just adding the unity package or still need to add the ai for mecanim and then adding the rpgkit?

15. RaiuLyn

RaiuLyn

Ack! Now I feel stupid. I thought I got it right since I did managed to get it right once before.

Thanks a lot, @TonyLi

16. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Archania - You still need to add three packages: NGUI 3.x Support, AI for Mecanim Support, and RPG Kit Support. Here's a link to the setup steps as a refresher. The video tutorial is a little outdated, but I just added a note about AI for Mecanim.

17. Cyphermage

Cyphermage

I'm getting the same three errors as the poster above. I have a fresh install of Dialogue System (Version 1.4.0) and have recently updated Unity (Version 4.6.0). I'm using plain old MonoDevelop.

The issue is the optional parameters in the function definitions. Whatever version of C# that Unity is using doesn't seem to support them, as far as I can see. I get the error "Default parameter specifiers are not permitted" whenever I try and use them, anyway.

And yet obviously most people have no trouble compiling Dialogue System, which indicates that the optional parameters aren't a problem for them. Since I've got a vanilla setup of Unity, Mono, everything, I don't know why it doesn't work for me, but does work for some people.

Anyone got any ideas??

Edit: So after a bunch of digging, I eventually worked it out. Apparently default parameters only became part of the C# .NET standard in version 4.0. While the Unity editor runs with 4.0, MonoDevelop comes with the default version to compile under set to 3.5, which is why you can get errors compiling in MD, but still run the code fine in Unity itself. Why the default isn't set to 4.0 baffles me, but here's how to fix it, in case anyone with the same error comes across this post (as I came across the earlier poster's):

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/176305/default-parameter-specifiers-are-not-permitted.html

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  18. TonyLi

TonyLi

Glad you got it working! This is also now a FAQ in the upcoming v1.4.2.

19. Archania

Archania

Thanks tony! I thought so but just wanted to verify.

20. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity v1.4.2 has been released! You can download it immediately on the Pixel Crushers customer download site. (If you need access, please PM me your invoice number.) It should be on the Asset Store in a few days.

I'm trying to arrange a New Year's sale. If you haven't bought the Dialogue System yet, keep your eyes out for it over the next few days!

Version 1.4.2

Core
    • New: Added support for loading assets from asset bundles in sequences (see How to Use Asset Bundles).
    • New: Added Condition Observer. (See also the quest example.)
    • Improved: New Continue Button Settings options: Optional Before PC, Not Before PC.
    • Improved: AudioWait() can now play multiple clips in sequence.
    • Improved: Added popup menus for quest and conversation titles in OnDialogueEvent triggers.
    • Changed: If splitting a Passthrough node with pipe (|) characters, the Condition is applied on all nodes.
    • Unity UI: Added support for show/hide animations in dialogue UIs.
    • Added: Documentation section for Custom Property Drawers if you're writing your own scripts that use the Dialogue System.
    Third Party Support
    • articy:draft: Added support for Instruction nodes.
    • ORK Framework: Dialogue System data is now saved in ORK saved games.
    • plyGame: Updated example for plyGame 2.3.5.
    • SALSA with RandomEyes: Updated example to use SALSA's Ethan audio clips.
    • UFPS: Dialogue System Bridge now automatically finds inventory items. No need to manually assign them to this component any more!

nosyrbllewe likes this.
  21. Vilhelmus

Vilhelmus

I still am unable to get the SetAnimatorStateOnDialogueEvent to respond with Unity 4.6.1.
    What would the LUA activity be for this? Animation(PistolCombatIdle,listener)@1.6
    In the SetAnimatorState, I have it set to call on Success and attached to the NPC, but no dice. It was working before I updated to Unity 4.6.1 so possibly something went awry in the process.
    Hoping the update is on the store soon, maybe that'll fix this stress.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  22. Vilhelmus

Vilhelmus

Oh, I figured it out finally. I exported a dialogue from the source version and converted it when i went back to the dll version and the Quest/Item part of the window was missing functions. None of them were available until I created a new quest. Now everything works great.

23. TonyLi

TonyLi

I'm glad it's working. If you get stuck on anything, let me know.

24. RealAspireGames

RealAspireGames

Hello!
    I purchased this asset and I give it 10/10 for dialog, It is worth every penny! Just a quick question Is there any way you can setup 2 conditions on one NPC dialog line in the conversation editor! I am trying to do this but it keeps erasing the previous condition!

25. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @godofwarfare115 - Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the Dialogue System!

Conditions and Scripts are written in Lua, so you have the power of a full programming language behind them if you want to enter text directly into the fields. The pop-up wizard (the '...' button) is a simplified tool that builds the Lua code for you. You can add multiple conditions by clicking the '+' button multiple times.

To keep it simple, whenever you click '...' to open the wizard, it wipes the field and lets you start from scratch. It doesn't add to the existing field contents because it wouldn't be clear whether you want to combine them with 'AND' or 'OR' (e.g., "Variable['Race']=='Elf' OR Variable['Race']=='Dwarf'" versus "Variable['hasKey'] AND Variable['hasLock']"). I felt that adding yet another option to specify whether to combine with AND or OR would overcomplicate things. It also doesn't put the existing field back into wizard mode because it's possible to manually enter Lua code that's more complicated than what the wizard deals with. It wouldn't be clear how to handle this. I'm always open to suggestions, so if you have any ideas for improvement, please let me know!

26. thenamesace

thenamesace

Hi Tony, Just a quick one i own rfps/s-inventory and dialogue system on your how too page it says about setting up items like guns to work with all three which is great it also says about health/food/thirst objects but i cant get them to work for the life of me? ...Am i missing somthing or is this feature not working ? BTW our game using Dialogue system has been greenlit on steam :) so i am sure i will have a lot more questions for you .....You can check it out here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=298165885

27. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @shaunmckay12 - Congratulations on getting 10 Years After greenlit! Poor Ashleigh -- you had her in tears in that Let's Play video....

There are a few key requirements to set up consumables:
    • Add any kind of renderer (e.g., MeshRenderer) to the pickup object. It doesn't actually have to render anything, but S-Inventory requires a renderer on the object.
    • Add an SInventory Pickup component (Component > Dialogue System...).
    • Add an Item component (from S-Inventory's scripts).
    • Remove the Realistic FPS Prefab Pickup component. You must remove it, not just disable it.
    • Add an SInventory Consumable Pickup component (Component > Dialogue System...).
      • Configure the benefits it provides (e.g., a medkit provides Health).
      • If the player uses it right away when picking it up, tick Use On Pickup. Otherwise leave it unticked, in which case it will be added to S-Inventory's inventory window.
    I'm waiting for the next version of S-Inventory to implement the ability to consume items out of the inventory window. I'm implementing with the version of S-Inventory that's on the Asset Store, since that's what most people are using.

28. thenamesace

thenamesace

Ahh. Thanks i know poor old Ashleigh!......i have done all you have said i am waiting for the ability on consuming items from the inventory thats my problem :) looks like i need to wait for you guys to get it sorted first thanks for the info :) Oh and quests have not been added in the game yet but when we do of course we will be using dialogue system :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  29. TonyLi

TonyLi

Keitaro3660 likes this.
  30. thenamesace

thenamesace

Hi @TonyLi i see the new s-inventory is out on the asset store just wanted to know if you had an ETA on finishing up the rfps/s-inv/dialogue system bridge?

31. Justinas_Ma

Justinas_Ma

Hey, I've been working with cancelling barks. Sending an OnContinue to the bark UI partially does the job. That is it hides UI as intended, but I also have to cancel the sequence. As far as I figured it out, the sequencer gets slapped on top of Dialogue Manager. So I stop that one using StopSequencer, but I wanted to ask whether there are circumstances under which a sequencer gets attached to different game objects, whether there is a possibility of multiple sequencers at the same time and in general whether using the StopSequencer in such a manner is a safe way to go about things?

32. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @shaunmckay12 - It'll be in v1.4.3, scheduled to be released on January 12.

Hi @Teshla - The Dialogue System itself will only attach sequencers to the Dialogue Manager GameObject, although your own code can attach them anywhere. It's always safe to call StopSequencer, even if you pass it null. But if multiple NPCs are barking at the same time you need to know which sequencer stop. I'll provide this info in the next release (v1.4.3).

thenamesace likes this.
  33. thenamesace

thenamesace

@TonyLi that is great news cant wait :)

34. thenamesace

thenamesace

@TonyLi quick question i want my npc to be able to play an audio clip of what the subtitles are saying (a voice actor) playing the part of the npc i have tried Audio(Line1) in the sequencer but it does not play, the audio file is named Line1 and is also in a Resources folder i know i am doing something wrong and i cant for the life of me find it in the documentation

35. thenamesace

thenamesace

Right have been playing my folder is Assets/Dialogue System/Examples/Art/Resources/story/
    i have tested it on the npc dialogue line and it does not play ...but if i put it on the player dialoge line it will play now i am even more confused as to why the npc wont play the file i am using AudioWait

36. thenamesace

thenamesace

Ha cracked it i think instead of putting the audiowait on the first line of the npc dialogue i put it on the start node and it plays always something simple ....Oh and sorry about ranting all over this thread :)

37. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @shaunmckay12 - Sounds like you got it working. If you notice any issues, you can set the Dialogue Manager's Debug Level to Info. This will write additional logs to the console, including which GameObject it's trying to play the audio clip on. If that GameObject doesn't have an AudioSource, the sequencer command will add one automatically. If it does already have an AudioSource, make sure the volume isn't set too low. If the volume is approximately zero, the sequencer command will set it to 1. Otherwise it will leave the volume as-is.

I've been playing around with SALSA with RandomEyes. (The Dialogue System includes integration with a video tutorial for it.) If you want to lipsync those audio clips in the future, it's an easy solution. You just need to set up blend shapes for a handful of mouth positions, and SALSA does the rest.

thenamesace likes this.
  38. thenamesace

thenamesace

@TonyLi i seem to have a problem when trying to save and load the game when i load the game it is spawning me slightly under the terrain using rfps your demo works so i must be doing something wrong

39. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @shaunmckay12 - Make sure your Persistent Position Data component is on !!!FPS Player, which is the GameObject that has the Capsule Collider.

Then save a game. The example menu script logs the save game info. If you don't see it in the console in your game, set the Dialogue Manager's Debug Level to Info and save again. You should see a log entry similar to this:

Dialogue System: Saved data: Variable["Alert"]=""; Variable["Zombies_Killed"]=0; Variable["!Unarmed"]=false; Variable["!Unarmed_Ammo"]=0; Variable["Knife"]=false; Variable["Knife_Ammo"]=0; Variable["M1911"]=false; Variable["M1911_Ammo"]=0; Variable["Shotgun"]=false; Variable["Shotgun_Ammo"]=0; Variable["MP5"]=false; Variable["MP5_Ammo"]=0; Variable["AK47"]=false; Variable["AK47_Ammo"]=0; Variable["M4"]=false; Variable["M4_Ammo"]=0; Variable["Sniper"]=false; Variable["Sniper_Ammo"]=0; Variable["Katana"]=false; Variable["Katana_Ammo"]=0; Item["Shotgun_for_Sad_Robot"].State="unassigned"; Item["Kill_4_Zombies"].State="unassigned"; Actor["Player"]={Status="", Name="Player", Pictures="[]", Description="The player character.", IsPlayer=true, hitPoints=100, maximumHitPoints=200, hungerPoints=0, thirstPoints=1, currentWeaponIndex=8, Position="-2.807456,16.08183,-33.28635,0,0.8507325,0,0.5255989,RFPS S-Inventory Example", Position_RFPS_S_Inventory_Example="-2.807456,16.08183,-33.28635,0,0.8507325,0,0.5255989,RFPS S-Inventory Example", }; Actor["Sad_Robot"]={Status="", Name="Sad Robot", Pictures="[]", Description="This robot gives the player a quest to get him a shotgun.", IsPlayer=false, }; Actor["Happy_Robot"]={Status="", Name="Happy Robot", Pictures="[]", Description="This robot tests the Lua bridge.", IsPlayer=false, }; Actor["!!!FPS_Player"]={Currency_Gold=0, MaxItems=12, ItemNames="||||||||||||", ItemAmounts="0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|", EquipmentNames="||||||||", SkillBarNames="|||||", SkillBarAmounts="0|0|0|0|0|", }; StatusTable = ""; RelationshipTable = "";

I highlighted the saved position. The values in Position are X, Y, Z, Rotation, and the name of the level. When you load your game, it will set !!!FPS Player's transform.position to the (X,Y,Z).

As a test, you can manually set the player to this position and play your scene. See if the player starts slightly under the terrain.

If this doesn't help, please feel free to send me an example project that demonstrates the issue. I'll be happy to take a look.

40. Sargonius

Sargonius

Hello!
    Is there a simple way to select some random nodes? i.e:

I want random selection of result after a player clicks on [Look around]. But in this structure only first node is being played. I made a lua random variable to check which "random" node will be selected, but it's an ugly decision imo.

41. TonyLi

TonyLi

That's probably the easiest solution. You could also register your own C# function with Lua and use that in the Conditions fields, or use a single node and dynamically replace the text using [lua()] tags.

42. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hey Tony.. Quick question. I know Dialogue System has a lot of 3rd party support. If I create and build out my dialogue database while using one of those 3rd party programs and then switch to another, does the database remain consistent? I know I'd be switching to the tools for that program, but I would assume the underlying core pieces of Dialogue System would remain the same. But we all know what they say about assuming.. lol So I figured I'd ask prior to starting to integrate DS into my prototype.

43. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Shawn67 - Yes, it remains consistent. If you use sequencer commands or Lua functions defined in one support package and then get rid of that support package, the Dialogue System will logs warnings of course when it tries to run those commands. Other than that, you're good to go!

44. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation! I picked your system up a couple months back and am hoping to dig into it soon!

45. thenamesace

thenamesace

Hey @TonyLi thought you might want to see this as it uses your system ....Still things to be sorted but hey! its getting there ...the first video is the steam announcement the second features your Dialogue system :)

Loving your asset and the support is second to none!

46. TonyLi

TonyLi

10 Years After is looking great! The next version of the Dialogue System, coming tomorrow, has full S-Inventory + RFPS support for using items out of the inventory window and other features that weren't possible before the latest release of S-Inventory. It also has a harvesting (chopping down trees) system, but I see you already implemented that yourself! :)

thenamesace likes this.
  47. steveR

steveR

Hi:

I purchased this awhile ago and am just now playing with it. Looks like a very powerful asset, with many examples and tutorials. I am interested in using Unity's new UI with your product and was looking for tutorials, examples etc - but didn't seem to find any( all it seems for the old GUI). Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

update: found this which is helpful -
    http://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_system/manual/html/unity_u_i_dialogue_u_i.html

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  48. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @steveR - yes, that's the main documentation page for Unity UI support. Many developers are still on Unity 4.5 and 4.3 (Unity 4.6 doesn't support console platform development yet), so Unity UI support is in a separate package located inside the Scripts folder. If you import the package, you'll find some example scenes that use Unity UI for conversations, barks, alerts, quest log windows, and selectors. I'm planning to record a Unity UI tutorial. I'll post it here when it's ready. If you have any questions about Unity UI support or the Dialogue System in general, please post here or email me directly at tony (at) pixelcrushers.com!

Teila likes this.
  49. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity v1.4.3 is now available! You can download it immediately on the Pixel Crushers download site (PM me your Asset Store invoice number if you need access), and it should be on the Asset Store in a few days.

Note: The S-Inventory Support package has been updated to support S-Inventory v1.21+. SoumiDelRio just submitted this version to the Asset Store today. If you need it urgently and it's not yet on the Asset Store, contact him with your Asset Store invoice number to get an advance copy. With this update, you can use items directly out of the inventory window, and you can add harvestables (such as choppable trees) in Realistic FPS Prefab.

Version 1.4.3

Core

• Improved: Bark triggers (Bark On Idle, Bark Trigger, Bark On Dialogue Event) now have a public sequencer property. [edit: corrected "Bark UI" to "Bark Trigger"]
    • Fixed: Bug in SimStatus saving.
    • Unity UI: Added language localization for arbitrary Text elements. (Conversations, barks, and alerts already automatically localize in all GUI systems.)
    Third Party Support
    • Action-RPG Starter Kit: Updated for v3.1; added multiple save game slots.
    • Adventure Creator:
      • Added Save Data and Restore Data actions.
      • Added checkbox to save to AC global variable at end of conversation.
      • Changed procedures for integrating with AC's save system. See Saving and Loading.
    • Realistic FPS Prefab: Fixed bug that wasn't saving currently-equipped weapon correctly.
    • S-Inventory: Updated for v1.21; also updated S-Inventory/Realistic FPS Prefab support.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    thenamesace likes this.
  50. RealAspireGames

RealAspireGames

Hey there is a problem with the latest update with S-Inventory! Everytime I import the third party package it says InventoryGUI not found!