Search Unity

Desktop Mascot Maker

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yano_123, Oct 24, 2014.

1. yano_123

yano_123

Hi all!:)

I made Desktop Mascot Maker with Unity.
    You can make 3D/2D mascot with extremely easy steps!

Features
    - Ready for Unity and Unity Pro
    - Full control of the mascot from Unity
    - Mascot's opacity change
    - Lots of event handlers
    - Detect mouse hovering

*Notice*
    - The target platform is Windows only.

If you have any trouble please contact me. Here

Enjoy!

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. yano_123

yano_123

I updated Desktop Mascot Maker to Version 1.2.

Please visit my website to see Unity-chan! live demo. Here

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  3. yano_123

yano_123

Hi!

I updated Desktop Mascot Maker to Version 1.3.
    I added Chroma Key Compositing mode in case of using a transparent shader.

4. OlliIllustrator

OlliIllustrator

Just looked at the demos-- this is very cool.
    I am sold:)

5. yano_123

yano_123

I updated Desktop Mascot Maker to Version 1.4.
    I added DragMove option. If set to true, the mascot can be moved by left mouse buton draging.
    And Version 1.4 is ready for uGUI. You can display uGUI image/text with your mascot.

Please see the document for details.
    I also did performance tuning and some bug fixing.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  6. kevin-kuro

kevin-kuro

hello,I have unity 4.0 4.3 4.6b19 5.0b12
    4.0,4.3,5.0 can't run.4.6b19 like this,My build target is x86 windows
    I can run all demo ,how can I do?

7. kevin-kuro

kevin-kuro

Hi.I try DemoForFree it can work.
    But quailty not better than Pro

I change camera clear flags to Solid Color it work!
    and skybox also can work

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  8. yano_123

yano_123

Hi,

About this message window:

This error message occurs in mono's dll(...\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\2.0\System.Windows.Forms.dll) inside unity.
    Please check this code in line 894.
    https://github.com/mono/mono/blob/m...ws.Forms/System.Windows.Forms/XplatUIWin32.cs

This message occurs because the function Win32RegisterClass returns false in unity editor environment. I can't modify this mono code inside unity because it may affect all unity projects.

This error message occurs only in unity editor environment and it does not affect your final compiled(released) .exe programs. So could you ignore this message? Sorry for the inconvinience.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  9. yano_123

yano_123

This asset does not support Unity4.0-4.5. Sorry. Please use Unity 4.6-.
    I have not tested Unity5.0b18 yet. I will test the asset with Unity5.0 as soon as possible.

10. yano_123

yano_123

Hi all:)

I fixed this error message. In the next version (Ver1.5), this error message will go away.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  11. yano_123

yano_123

Hi,

DesktopMascotMaker is updated to Ver1.5. Some bugs fixed. Tooltips added.

12. yano_123

yano_123

hopeful likes this.
  13. Animelubel

Animelubel

Please give a link to DesktopMascotMaker free

14. yano_123

yano_123

Hi, you can download DesktopMascotMaker for Unity4.6 free version here.

15. Animelubel

Animelubel

Screen error here

Assets/DesktopMascotMaker/Script/OrthonormalCameraForFree.cs(32,17): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.Component.camera' is obsolete: `Property camera has been deprecated. Use GetComponent<Camera>() instead. (UnityUpgradable)'

I can not load component Desktop Mascot Maker
    I do according to the instructions

whether it is possible remake ready mascot Niconi Rittai Chan Mascot
    or is there a model to change, if can,
    if the model link nikovideo , do not need, I have already downloaded

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  16. yano_123

yano_123

Hi Animelubel,

I think you are using Unity 5 now. Unfortunately, Desktop Mascot Maker is not ready for Unity 5 yet, sorry.

Desktop Mascot Maker 1.6.1 will be ready for Unity 5 on or after March 14.

Could you use Unity4.6 for now?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  17. Animelubel

Animelubel

Where it can be downloaded, and that I downloaded? Desktop Mascot Maker 1.5 or not?
    and answer the question please

whether it is possible remake ready mascot Niconi Rittai Chan Mascot
    or is there a model to change, if can,
    if the model link nikovideo , do not need, I have already downloaded

18. yano_123

yano_123

Hi,

Desktop Mascot Maker 1.6.1 will be released at the asset store on or after March 14.
    I will announce about it in this forum. I can't remake Niconi Rittai Chan version demo.

19. Animelubel

Animelubel

I need to buy again?

20. yano_123

yano_123

You don't have to buy again. You can download from asset store on or after March 14.

21. Animelubel

Animelubel

Thank you very much

22. yano_123

yano_123

Hi all :) !

Desktop Mascot Maker Ver1.6.1 is released !

- Ready for Unity 5 Personal/Professional edition
    - New feature : Unity's main window can be changed hide/show/transparent with MainWindowOpacity.cs. (Unity 5 only feature, see reference manual for Unity 5)

- Added new demo (demo05, toggle hide/show Unity's main window)

23. uzairali001

uzairali001

What this type of applications are called?
    I want to create similar application with visual studio WPF can you give me some guide

24. yano_123

yano_123

Hi, this asset just captures main camera's image and displays on a winform with layered window style.
    This asset can't customize window style like visual studio wpf.

25. krougeau

krougeau

yodaka: I sent you an email with a few questions & comments, but thought I'd ask my main question here, in case some of your other users have a solution.

I am attempting to make desktop mascots with props that players can use to interact with the mascots (for example, a ball they can "throw" and have a dog mascot fetch it), but I have been unable to get more than a single object to be interactive. Any other objects simply mirror the actions of the first. What I mean is, if I try to pick up the ball, it would also pick up the dog... I would also like to have more than a single mascot on screen, and have them individually be interactive. Any advice about achieving this with the Desktop Mascot Maker software would be most appreciated! Thanks! :)

Update: The creator has replied to my email and assures me that they will be doing their best to create a non-singleton, multi-mascot version in the near future, barring any unforeseen difficulties. In fact, they were kind enough to send me a screenshot of a working, multi-camera setup showing 3 separate mascots! They'll also be working on improving the documentation with a more verbose introduction / tutorial, and making some minor corrections that will make it easier for everyone concerned. Bravo! Three cheers! I'll very much be looking forward to the next update(s).

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  26. yano_123

yano_123

Hi krougeau,

Thank you for your great feedback:). I will add new feature to display Multiple Mascots.

Here is new demo program :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-QmwDcrXnzIMFJxYkgzZ3o0VFU/view?usp=sharing

This demo will be included in Desktop Mascot Maker's next version.
    This demo demonstrates how to display multiple mascots per scene.
    This demo displays three independent mascots by using three cameras.

Now I am writing documents. I will update Desktop Mascot Maker soon. Next version will be 1.7.0.

krougeau likes this.
  27. krougeau

krougeau

Thank you ever so much! I'll have a look at the new demo immediately & will be looking forward to the next release. Have a wonderful day!

Update: Wonderful! I was anticipating that physical interactions between the characters might be problematic, but it seems you have them working together quite well :) I did note that, in this instance, the individual characters can't be dragged/dropped around the screen. Is this because of a technical limitation, or just because it wasn't necessary for the demo? Either way, it's fantastic and will bring me much closer to being able to implement my ideas. Thank you again!

28. krougeau

krougeau

Does anyone have any tips for keeping a mascot within the camera frustum? I'm working with a few different models now, and I've been having trouble with parts of them being cut off when zooming in and out, rotating, etc. I've tried attacking the issue a few different ways now, to no avail, and thought I'd see if those of you who've been using the package for awhile had any tips.

29. krougeau

krougeau

From the screenshots, the new version also looks like it will allow us to specify render textures, which is terrific if that is the case.

I'm trying to create a program that will contain several mascots of various types; some single, some multiple, some fullscreen, and some not. Having the render texture hard coded has been troublesome and would, for instance, require me to create completely different builds for each and every fullscreen resolution that Windows supports, which would make distribution problematic to say the least.

If we're able to choose the render texture we wish to use, through code and in individual scenes, this would likely eliminate the issue & I could, as an example, check the user's screen width & height and assign an appropriate render texture to match based on that information. That fix alone is worth it's weight in gold, so I do hope that this is indeed the case.

Thank you again for all of your hard work on this asset! I'm looking forward to using it to transform my ideas into realities! :) Have a terrific day!

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  30. hopeful

hopeful

Can't you just apply a "look at target" script to the camera to have it keep the frustum on the character?

krougeau likes this.
  31. krougeau

krougeau

Thanks hopeful. The OrthonormalCamera script that comes with the Desktop Mascot Maker package has a "target" variable that functions like a "look at", but some of the characters partially escape the frustum when zooming in. I suppose the simplest solution would be to just limit the amount of zoom that can be used on those characters. I'll keep fiddling with it. Thanks again!

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  32. krougeau

krougeau

yodaka is hard at work on the new version of Desktop Mascot Maker and has allowed me a glimpse at the new documentation. The usage instructions have been expanded to be much clearer, and some important changes have taken place!

You will now be able to alter the Form Size of your mascot(s) directly through the Inspector or through scripting, which allows much more flexibility (for instance, resizing your mascot(s) for various screen resolutions).

On top of that, a new MultiMascotMaker component has been added which, as the new implies, will allow you to have several different mascots in one scene. Where the original MascotMaker component is a singleton, the MultiMascotMaker component is a standard Monobehaviour.

I, for one, am very excited about the changes & am nearly bouncing in anticipation of the new release. yodaka informs me that he expects to be submitting the changes to the Asset Store near the end of the week, and that it will likely take another week for the submission to be approved. That said, keep your eyes open for updates in the next couple of weeks!

Thanks again, yodaka, for all of your hard work!

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  33. yano_123

yano_123

Hi, I submitted new version 1.7.0. I think asset store's review takes roughly one week.

New features of version 1.7.0 are
    • Display Multiple Mascots at the same time by using MascotMakerMulti component
    • Mascot Form's size can be changed at run time
    Here is the document for version 1.7.0.
    Here is the demo program.

If you have any questions about this, please ask me anything.

krougeau and hopeful like this.
  34. krougeau

krougeau

Thanks again, yodaka! Everything looks great! :)

yano_123 and hopeful like this.
  35. yano_123

yano_123

krougeau likes this.
  36. hopeful

hopeful

Already downloaded! Thanks! :)

yano_123 likes this.
  37. krougeau

krougeau

yano_123 likes this.
  38. Serstel

Serstel

Is it possible for the mascot to interact with the desktop items like opening folders, files and programs and generally make a mess? is it possible for me to add a sensor so that the mascot can see the desktop and what is on the desktop? If it can't could you please add this functionality?

39. hopeful

hopeful

I doubt that will be possible. It's really not even desirable to mess with a person's desktop OS, if you think about it. But you could make fake desktop icons, perhaps, that the mascot could interact with.

40. krougeau

krougeau

I've been considering trying something along these lines by grabbing a screenshot image of the user's desktop & then manipulating that, but haven't attempted it yet. It's probably more trouble than it's worth, haha. The idea of fake icons would be much simpler than trying to recognize and recreate the real ones, but even then, making it work well and look good seems like it would be a challenge since there's no telling ahead of time what any given user's desktop might look like.

41. hopeful

hopeful

Some computer users are very easily confused. I think the last thing anyone wants is a support call or lawsuit coming from some user who thinks you destroyed stuff on their computer.

42. Serstel

Serstel

I was thinking more on the lines of a personal digital assistant type of application.Nothing devious ;)

43. yano_123

yano_123

Hi, I think it's difficult to interact with the objects outside Unity program.
    And I don't have the plan to implement that for now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

krougeau likes this.
  44. krougeau

krougeau

If someone wanted to, they could easily use a gameobject that looked like a desktop icon & simply have their mascot interact with that. With the new multi-mascot features, the end user could even drag & drop the fake icon around their desktop to wherever they wanted it. While it's certainly a neat idea, I think it falls a bit outside the scope of what the Desktop Mascot Maker was meant to do & should be left up to the game designer to work out.

45. Wilbert-Blom

Wilbert-Blom

How do I change the unity main window name ?

46. krougeau

krougeau

From the main Unity menu, click on Edit -> Project Settings -> Player, and then in the Inspector, change the Product Name to be whatever you'd like to appear in the main window's title bar.

47. Patch17

Patch17

Hi! I'm new here and just hoping if this thread is still like kind of active?. The link that you sent for the demo version of the Desktop Mascot Maker was just the finished product of the program and the Demo Scenes. Isn't there like a demo version of it where you can actually create and modify stuff?

48. krougeau

krougeau

To my knowledge, all of the various demos are simply finished builds that show off the various functionality of the asset itself. It's well made & well worth the price. Just keep in mind that it can only currently create applications for use on Windows PCs, not phones, tablets, or other operating systems. It also seems to be incompatible with the Windows Store and apps created with it (in my tests at least) do not pass the validations required for being listed on that particular venue. Those things aside, I've had a great time using it and am looking forward to making use of it in several future projects I've currently got on the back burner.

49. yano_123

yano_123

50. Maxi_Franke

Maxi_Franke

I downloaded the trial and unpacked the zip-folder.
    But how to use it?
    i find no *.exe-file to run it...