Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

So.. approximate release date for the next update?

2. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > Well as I said before, the release frequency depends on the number of sales (the more people buy it, the more time I can afford to spend improving it). The last release is only a week old, so I don't know, in a month or two maybe ? If people stop pirating it and start buying it, probably much sooner.

I guess you can help by spreading the word about it, or by giving it a nice review in the asset store. By the way, thanks to those of you who've already done so, it means a lot to me that you like it.

3. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

@reuno

ohh yeah, pirating is like a pest, you get hit, ive been there. but wait, it is good, really good sign.
    why? read below,

this is all based on personal experience. which i gained so much down the road:)

Over the years i have found out it is good sign, it meanS that your application or product is really good and worth pirating.

i had several products over the past 10 years, non gaming related, but more like apps and designing templates etc..
    offcourse found out most of them were outhere in the undergrounds pirated, :-(
    i too felt defeated and stopped production for a while, then my income starting to hurt.
    until one day a friend of mine in the same industry talked to me and told me what i am telling you now.

-dont take it to heart,
    -pirating is good, really good because it means your product is top quality and pirates find it worth investing time on it.
    -pirating means people know you are a creator and can deliver quality product, so you got followers even from underground sites.
    -people chat about your product, it is really good sign.
    -and above all, it is free viral marketing for your product, free as free beer :) this is priceless

but you may say: well if my product is being distributed underground, whats in it for me, i am loosing sales.
    well, it makes sense in theory, but in real life is the opposite if you act wisely.

meaning, instead of stopping productivity, you do the opposite.
    flood your product with a lot of new quick updates, flood enough that the underground followers will be so hungry and desperate of new updates and new features that they rather not wait for someone to release it for them, means they come to the source to get updates directly from author, because they realize your product is so good and it is worth investing money on it to be up to date on the new releases.

something similar like some industrial workers workers from certain countries or cultures do;
    when going into strike for whatever reason, instead of stopping production and going home, they flood the production with more productivity. well you get my drift.

my friend opened my eyes when i was down due of my products being distributed underground so i said well, what the hell, i dont have anything else to lose since it was already outhere,
    so i started flooding with new updates very often, adding new features, experiencing new stuff, and all the sudden notices my sells started booming like crazy.
    which motivated me to hire help and double the update rate quicker because you felt you hit a homerun with your product. it was selling like hotcakes.

so i hope this help you cheer up and know there is a great opportunity to grab from this, and you must grab it while it is hot. otherwise it will backfire, people lose interest fairly quick if you dont act in timely manner.

believe me, the "i will work only when i see more sales" kinda way of thinking deal is a no, no, that is unless you want to drag yourself down to the bottom of the seas and lose product that you started with so many hope.

your current legitimate buyers do not have to pay the consequences of someone elses actions of prating your product. they deserve better than this. a little more respect. because they eventually trusted you with they hard earned money to support you, while expecting from you to do the same for them by providing support and updates to enhance their purchase.

and even worse they wont even reference you by word of mouth because they feel they been disrespected for something they did not do and did not deserve.

so, cheer up friend , will really hate to see you let go of an great product you started with so many hopes.

just look at the bigdogs like adobe, autodesk even unity etc... they all been hit and they know it, but see how successful and popular they became, it is free viral marketing. something or someone with a non good product will no be able to pay for even if they wanted.

so my recommendation is strike while the iron is hot. or whatever that means, lol.

wish you the best. and happy deving.

regards.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Mr-Stein likes this.
  4. reuno

reuno

@GraphXCreations > Thanks for the kind words. I've been a developer for 15 years, and have had a lot (most) of my apps and games pirated, but the scale of it this time is a bit overwhelming compared to sales. But I won't let go, don't worry about that :)

gjf likes this.
  5. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

I hear you brother,

if the scale is fairly larger than sales, which is usually the situation in most cases, it is time for you to recover and gain that market, and you wont be able if you stop production, so my best advice is to flood the production and support to attract that market to become legitimate buyers, they are already a consummer of your wonderful product, they just need 1 good and attractive/sweet reason to become legitimate official buyers.

so it is time for you to come up with a good reason/motivation to give to that market to come and buy it directly from you and become legitimate buyers.
    the market is already there and th e users are already using you product, why not lure them to come and become official and legitimate owners of it.

it is tough scenario but not impossible, you just need to find out the magic word or action for it.

Mr-Stein likes this.
  6. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Well @reuno.. I was one of the firsts buyer that trust in this product. I think to put my trust and paying for the product was the best help.
    I will give a good review in the asset store but when the product evolves even more, leaving the standards platformers that are already in the Asset Store and google. I think you can give more of your potential and your TODO list is your sword.

Good attitude and good maintenance of the product always get good benefits.

7. sefou

sefou

Hi reuno,
    how using bullet time ?
    Thanks.

8. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > I'm glad you like the asset!

@sefou > To use bullet time, you just have to use this line in the script of your choice :
    GameManager.Instance.SetTimeScale(YourTimeSpeed);
    Where YourTimeSpeed is a float.
    So for example :
    GameManager.Instance.SetTimeScale(1.0f); // sets the game at normal speed
    GameManager.Instance.SetTimeScale(0.3f); // slow bullet time
    GameManager.Instance.SetTimeScale(0.0f); // pause
    GameManager.Instance.SetTimeScale(2.0f); // twice as fast as normal

9. sefou

sefou

Cool .Thanks. :)

10. arkhament

arkhament

Hi @reuno i want to know something, CorgiEngine is based on "prime31/CharacterController2D" of PRIME31 https://github.com/prime31/CharacterController2D but basically with some graphics improvements, right?
    Because i check the CharacterController2D.cs of PRIME31 and the CorgiController2D.cs and they look very similar.
    What other improvements you make to improve so worth the 45 US$?.

Regards.!

11. reuno

reuno

@arkhament > well actually the main part of the raycast Controller is based on a tutorial I did a long time ago. I guess me and that guy had the same source. Apart from that particular script, I don't see much resemblance between both projects. As far as I can tell this is just the character controller thing, while the Corgi Engine is a complete platformer project, with more than 50 different scripts (and counting), and as you mention, a whole collection of visual assets. I think that's worth the price. If you're not interested in that and just want a raycast thing, then there are a lot of tutorials out there that will help you code your own thing, as I did :)

arkhament likes this.
  12. Guitario

Guitario

Bought this and love this!
    Cant wait to see where you take this Reuno :)

13. arkhament

arkhament

thanks you very much @reuno for you fast reply.
    What are your future plans for the CorgiEngine project? I mean separately from your current list.

Regards!

14. reuno

reuno

@arkhament > Well I think the current list should already take some time to complete. I'm also working on various AI (friendly AI and foes). Then there'll be 2.5D, and I'm keeping a few surprises too.

15. aer0ace

aer0ace

The Corgi engine looks great! Regarding 2.5D, the question wasn't really answered with much detail.

I'd like to create a 2.5D game as well, where you can see the Z depth a little bit for the actual platforms, but not necessarily be able to move along the Z. Just like Trine, etc. For instance, would it just be a matter of changing the camera from an orthogonal projection to a perspective projection? If so, maybe even some example video might be convincing.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

16. reuno

reuno

@aer0ace > No, it's not as simple as changing the camera's projection. It would involve code modifications. They're pretty easy to do if you're familiar with Unity. I'll get to that myself at some point, but I don't want to add it to the engine without proper 3D assets, and I'm much more of a 2D guy, so it'll take some time. It's in the todo list.

17. reuno

reuno

Someone kindly mentioned to me last night that if you pick up a weapon upgrade while shooting, the "old" shooting effect remains there forever. I've fixed it, updated the demo, and the fix will be included in the next release.

18. Neoshiftr

Neoshiftr

Your kit looks great, good job! I'm also into 2.5D games, will see what I can make from your engine.

19. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

+1 for 2.5d and 3d game support
    i am waiting for those features and the multiplayer
    once this is done ill be glad to jump in and purchase your product.

keep up the good work

wahyuway and Mr-Stein like this.
  20. Exeneva

Exeneva

If you're looking to increase sales, one thing you might consider is putting it on sale. It increases exposure and generally gets you a 'burst' in sales.

21. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

+1 more for 2.5d, 3d game support and the multiplayer as say @GraphXCreations
    =)

22. Exeneva

Exeneva

I have a question: How much support is there for unit testing/automated testing with the engine? Namely, is there a way to test the platformer automatically, as in a platformer AI behavior that will run through the level by itself? This is pretty important for production-level unless the dev wants to spend a bunch of time doing QA testing (which, I realize, is what most indie devs do anyway).

This would also set this engine apart from the other platformer kits out there.

23. sefou

sefou

Hi Reuno,

can you add an checkbox CanFire when the Player is in State.LadderClimbing.

Thanks.

24. reuno

reuno

@GraphXCreations , @Mr.Stein > Ok, ok, I'll add 2.5D support :) It's already in the todo list.
    @Exeneva > So, far, there's no unit testing. It's something I'd like to add sometime. However, I've been working on various AI behaviors lately, so maybe that'll be the start of it. Great idea.
    @sefou > No, that's very specific, I can't add checkboxes for everything I'm afraid, that'd be too many combinations. That's very easy for you to fix though. Look for the ShootStart() function in the Player.cs. There's a check there to see if the player CanMoveFreely. If the player is on a ladder, it can't. Just change that check (or remove it), and you'll be able to shoot from a ladder.

Mr-Stein likes this.
  25. sefou

sefou

Hi reuno ,

in the ShootStart() function ,i use it :

//if (!_controller.State.CanMoveFreely)
    // return;

or:

if (_controller.State.CanMoveFreely)
    return;

and the player can't shoot from a ladder. Am i making something wrong ?

Thanks

26. reuno

reuno

@sefou > You're on the right track. You indeed have to comment these lines.
    Then in the ClimbLadder() function (in the same file), you need to comment this line :
    _controller.State.CanShoot=false;
    I've just given it a try and it does the trick.

Be aware that the current corgi animations are not designed for this, and it won't look pretty (there's no animation for "shooting from a ladder", but you can easily add your own.

27. sefou

sefou

Thanks. It work fine but my own animatons.are really weird ;)

28. awesomedata

awesomedata

@reuno
    I've tried the Demo and am even playing with a friend's version of the engine on his laptop, but, for the life of me, I'm not seeing how to make jumpthrough / one-way slopes work with your engine. It's odd that I did not see this functional in the Demo either -- so, are you sure the one-way jumpthrough slopes really work??

I've tried rotating the floating one-way platform (in the demo scene near the water-spray) but the physics get weird and he can't walk up the slope (and no, I'm not running into the water while doing this). I tried rotation both with the rotate tool *and* the rect-transform tool to get the edge-collider working, but to no avail...

Can anyone else confirm they've gotten the one-way jumpthrough slopes to work?

If they do, do they also work with moving one-way slope platforms?

I'd like to see both features in action before I make the commitment to purchase the engine myself (this is exactly where I've been burned by platform engines before, so I'm understandably hesitant until I can actually see this feature in action). Any guidance on this would be appreciated -- I've got my friend's laptop for the weekend, so I've got a little time.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  29. Exeneva

Exeneva

I have another question about this asset: How does it handle "pop-in" tutorial text? So for example, suppose you want text to show up when a user gets to a certain spot. In my current prototype (not using the Corgi Engine), I'm using a non-scalable method:
    • I have an invisible gameobject placed at each location where I want tutorial text to pop up.
    • When the player collides with this invisible gameobject, it sets a tutorial text sprite's renderer from disabled to enabled.
    Screenshot:

As you can see, each invisible gameobject has its own script, and that script has a single function that sets a certain tutorial text sprite to active.

Does Corgi Engine have a way of handling this that is more scalable (and doesn't use sprites, but UIText)?

30. snake77jt

snake77jt

I have added sound effects to my game, but I cannot figure out how to lower down the volume. Is there a way to fix this? Thank you!!

31. sefou

sefou

Hi snake77jt,
    i use AudioManager in Edit / Project Settings / Audio. for global control.

Exeneva likes this.
  32. snake77jt

snake77jt

Yes I do know how to do that, but I was talking about the sound effects whenever the player jumps, shoots, or get hits. I already uncommented the script, I just need a way to lower down their volume. I have tried the Audio Manager thing mentioned above, but my Game Music Lowers Down with it

33. reuno

reuno

@Exeneva > There's no pop in text in 1.2. There should be in 1.3 though, as I was working on it when I read your message :) It will use the Unity4.6 GUI API. I'm not sure it will be very scalable at first. There are dialogue/text plugins that are probably doing that job better. Any idea what you'd like to have ?

@snake77jt > Right now there's no dedicated method to change a SoundFx volume. I've reworked the sound management in 1.3 (no more uncommenting stuff, now with proper classes and all). I'll see if I can add volume control too, great idea.

@awesomedata > I'm glad you're testing on your friend's laptop and not on a pirated version of the asset. That'd be bad. Anyways, I usually don't provide support for non-(yet)paying customers, but I've just given it a try, and it works.
    All I did was changing the Z rotation of the one way platforms, and created a new moving platform, with an edge collider. Pretty simple. Sorry for the gif quality, I keep messing up with the capture settings :

To be honest, the version I tested on is the upcoming 1.3, and I've made a lot of changes to a lot of things, so there may have been an issue before and I may have fixed it. Anyway, it works in 1.3, so if you wait a few days, you'll be one happy dude soon, and hopefully you'll finally buy the engine. Don't get your hopes too high for the moving one/two way platforms though, even in 1.3 it's a bit buggy if you start to run fast, sometimes you fall through them. I'll try and improve that.

34. Exeneva

Exeneva

@reuno the most scalable way is some sort of external load-in process. This is for localization reasons - if you want to port a game from English to say, French, you would just load a different file and don't need to change each individual text string in-editor.

It's typically implemented like this:
    • Developer imports a text asset into the editor. This asset is basically a text file with key value pairs. Here's an example:
      • "start_controls": "Use the left and right arrow keys to move."
      • (on a new line) "attack_control": "Press spacebar to shoot."
    • You would have a script attached to the level manager or whatever 'master game object' is in the scene. This script should have a serialized slot where the developer can drag in the text asset in the editor. Functionality-wise, the script parses the text asset line by line and creates a reference to each line.
    • You would have another script that causes one of these text strings to display. This is the script users will attach to UI Text, etc. and should have a serializable parameter where the developer will be able to type in a string reference (such as "start_controls") and that is what the script will display.
    As an example of how the above system works, if I want a certain text to appear in-game on a UI Text when the user reaches a certain point, I would do the following:
    • Load in a text asset with all the text I want to display on a level and put it in the level manager object in a script that takes the text asset as an argument and parses it.
    • Create an invisible game object with either a physics collider or a script that does a Physics2D.OverlapCircle check (it would be nice to supply a prefab for this in the kit).
    • When the user collides or overlaps with this game object, the script on the object will set a child UI Text active. The child UI Text has a script with a serialized parameter where I can specify which string to display (such as "start_controls").
    • If I want to port from English to French, I create a new text asset with the same references but a localized string for each line:
      • (example) "start_controls": "Utilisez les flèches gauche et droite pour déplacer."
    • Since all I have to replace is the text asset being dragged into the level manager object, I don't have to go through the tedious work of updating every single UI Text object with localized text.
    Typically the text asset is actually a JSON or XML file, but a text file should be simple enough - you just need a reference string and a line of text on each line (and the file needs to be consistent in this format). Some systems refer to the references by number, but a numerical reference is (in my opinion) not as easy to understand or maintain than a string reference.

This is how I would recommend doing it. If you (or someone else) does it differently in production usage, I'd be interested in hearing the method.

35. reuno

reuno

@Exeneva > Well that's pretty close to what I had in mind, and seems like both a simple and efficient way to do it. I think I'll do just that. Thanks for your input!

Exeneva likes this.
  36. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

I just bought this package because it seemed like it was exactly what I needed, even though I already bought a cheaper similar one a while ago but I had tons of issues with getting started with it.

Anyway now I'm here and trying to figure things out, the first thing I did was trying to throw the player prefab on a new scene but... it doesn't work

All I get is an exception
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    InputManager.Update () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/scripts/gameManagement/InputManager.cs:35)

I have no idea what is actually happening and I've been stuck for hours, any idea what I'm lacking to get started?

37. sefou

sefou

Hello MaddoScientist ,
    for an new scene , i add 2 prefabs : Manager and LevelBounds . Use Layer : Platforms for your plafforms and ground.

38. reuno

reuno

@sefou : exactly, thanks :)
    @MaddoScientisto : as @sefou said, you can't just "throw the player prefab on a new scene".
    The error you get means that Unity can't find the InputManager, as you didn't include it in the scene. The input manager, as the name implies, is in charge of getting input (touch, keyboard, pad...) and sending instructions to your character. Without that, it won't work.

On a related note, I'm working on documentation right now, and 1.3 will have much more comments in code. I understand this won't solve the problem for people who are not too comfortable with code, but I'll improve that too later.

39. awesomedata

awesomedata

@reuno
    Thanks man -- that makes me feel a *lot* more confident about purchasing this asset. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Now I suppose a few gifs (low-quality or not) are worth at least a million words. :)

I would definitely like to see moving jumpthrough slopes working properly soon -- this is a platforming engine after all.

Your problem, just based on observation, might have something to do with the order in which the physics of the player is processed compared to the platform's physics (I suggest making a queue to process the platform movement before allowing the player to process his collision-testing for the platforms -- if you haven't already -- as I had a similar issue when I programmed my own game/platforming engine back in the day. If you have already, maybe it's a floating point issue? Back then, everything I worked with was pixel-perfect, so I didn't have to worry about stuff like delta-time and interpolation issues putting my player inside the platform when the FPS got stupid and spiked or dipped randomly for a moment just before a collision. Using a natively 3d engine for old-school styled 2d platforming has its own unique quirks, so I understand if this takes a little time to fix -- I'd just like to know that it's fixable without too much trouble.

Also, speaking of quirks, (I didn't test this yet, but it's a consideration) -- what happens with your engine when you have two one-way platforms crossing over one-another like a stairway, and the player collides with them while walking on a flat one-way platform toward or away from the stairway-like platform? I'd expect that you'd walk past it coming from beneath the stairway, but, when heading back toward the stairway, or jumping up on it from beneath, you'd land on and walk up the one-way stairway slope. Is this what actually happens?

I can wait for the moving platform fix if I know around when you might plan to work on it. In my opinion, for a platforming engine, issues like this one are fundamental issues. Are you likely to address this soon? If so, I definitely plan on purchasing this engine -- I would just like to know that purchase will solve all my platforming needs (as the label suggests) and two platforming needs that I definitely anticipate having are moving slopes (for, i.e. bosses) and one-way staircases that can be stacked on-top flat one-way platforms (for varied terrain layouts - i.e. like a castle).

I also wanted to say thank you for your (temporarily free) support man -- I know I'm not a paying customer (yet), but I would definitely like to be! I enjoy supporting awesome developers! I just want to be absolutely sure I don't have to make another purchase in the future for a platforming engine (or have to write one myself again just because I need one or two features the engine doesn't fundamentally support) -- **shudder** -- If your engine provides me (and everyone else too!) that sort of future-proofing (which it will, with the afforementioned two features), I'm absolutely sold.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  40. reuno

reuno

@awesomedata > I'll keep working on these slopes. Even in 1.3, there are a few quirks left. I wasn't that much into moving jumpthrough slopes before your messages, but I like the challenge :)
    Right now a stairway like you describe wouldn't work. All collisions are based on collider2Ds, and I only remove the one way platform mask from collision detection while in the air. But I can add that to the todo list. Stairways are awesome after all. I have to admit I have more urgent stuff to work on, but I'll get to it.
    Thanks for your input, it's really useful!

41. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

Thank you for the tip, I completely removed the bounds component for now since I'm going to hook it to a tile manager, I'll make something similar that takes the bounds from that instead

Great, some documentation would be useful, once getting past the first part doesn't seem too hard to figure things out by the examples but a written documentation can help much more.

Also since we are here, what are exactly the requisites for a surface to be "solid" besides the platform layer?
    Does it need a physics collider?

I'm going to use SpriteTile to make my levels so I'll have to do extra work to make the two work along, I'll experiment later with the interaction

42. reuno

reuno

@MaddoScientisto : To be "solid", a platform needs to be on the platform layer, and have a Collider2D. This can be a boxcollider2d, circlecollider2d, or polygoncollider2d. Edge colliders are only used for 1 way platforms. So just add a collider2d and set the right layer.
    While waiting for the documentation (and I won't lie, it'll take a few weeks/months), have a look at the demo scenes. Just select a platform, look at what components it's got, and you should be good to go.

MaddoScientisto likes this.
  43. awesomedata

awesomedata

@reuno
    Not a problem dude! Sounds awesome! And yeah, I understand about having more pressing stuff to work on than the stairways, and I'm okay with waiting a little bit for those (just as long as I know they're coming!)

To be honest, as long as I know you're actively working on fixing the moving slopes, that's a load off my mind! The flexibility of the level-design process with one-way stairs is great, but the prospect of being able to add stuff like a moving/rotating one-way platform to my levels is a much more appealing feature to me. :)

44. prestotron

prestotron

How do I edit the controls in the game? I do not like the feel of Q, D and Z. So how can I change it?

45. snake77jt

snake77jt

Is it possible to add health to enemy AI's, or to turn down the damage of the projectile of the player because i am creating a boss scene where the boss has a much higher health than all the other enemies. Btw great looking sprites you created, what program did you use to create it, photoshop?

46. reuno

reuno

@prestotron > You can edit the controls as you would in any Unity project : Edit > Project Settings > Input. Then you can edit inputs in the inspector. By default the Engine includes keyboard and xbox360 pad controls (plus mobile controls but this is a different story).
    @snake77jt > Yes, it's possible. As many people have asked for this, I think I'll include a new enemy to the 1.3 release, one with health. If you want to do it yourself (that'll require a bit of code), you should look at how the crates work, and mix that with the enemyAI script. You might want to change a few lines there too, if I recall correctly, the enemies explode on hit. And yes, the sprites were created in Photoshop + Spine/After Effects for animation. I'm glad you like em!

47. sefou

sefou

Hi prestotron,
    as reuno said , you can use eg like this:

48. meapps

meapps

if you add an Rope as an feature. I will buy it.

49. Stinner

Stinner

Hey man, I'm just learning Unity now and purchased this package. It's fantastic, great work! However, I noticed this is very clearly built off of the 3D Buzz "Creating 2D Games in Unity" tutorials. Have you considered mentioning that anywhere? Honestly, it probably would have made me buy this sooner, since I started with those tutorials as well and have been building off of them. It's great to see what somebody else has done with the same structure.

I also don't know if you'd get into any trouble for it, but that's not my place to worry about it. Keep up the great work!

50. reuno

reuno

@meapps > it's on the todo list.
    @Stinner > Well, as I said before, I started this project by learning from tutorials, the one you mention, but also books (probably one that the 3D buzz guys also read as it was strangely similar), and obviously stuff from past projects of mine. I don't think it's worth mentioning anymore, as in v1.3 I've rewritten most of what was left of that (otherwise good) tutorial.