Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@tahmzad > As I've said many times in this thread, 2.5D support is still on my roadmap.
    In its current state, and as its name implies, the engine is heavily focused on 2D.
    Adding 2.5D support is of course doable, but it will take a lot of changes. The main idea is that you'll want to replace all 2D specific stuff (BoxCollider2D etc) with 3D ones. Others have done so already and mentioned it here, maybe they'll be able to help you.
    To be honest if you have zero coding experience, it's gonna be a really bumpy ride :)

2. tahmzad

tahmzad

Thanks @reuno, all's good. I just added a 2D Box Collider to my 3D objects (removed 3d collider to avoid any issues) and applied appropriate layer tag for it to work which I forgot to do earlier :D. Tweaked Camera a bit to make it sort of work so I can atleast get started now and change camera later early next year. Hopefully by then you'll have proper 2.5D on your schedule.

Thanks again man, this asset is absolutely amazing :).

3. arkhament

arkhament

@reuno, maybe "Beat 'em up" style per features in the future for corgi engine?

4. reuno

reuno

@arkhament > well if you're looking for a platformer beat em up (ala Guacamelee for example), the melee scripts are a good start. If you're looking for a Final Fight feel for example, I don't think a platformer engine is a good fit. It's no longer a platformer after all. Fortunately, when I'm not working on the Corgi Engine (and not working for a living either) I'm working on a top down engine aimed specifically at beat em up. So it's coming.

5. arkhament

arkhament

@reuno thanks for the reply. At the end I moved to "Platformer PRO", because it is better or more complete for what I need to do.
    Thanks equally. :)

6. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

7. reuno

reuno

@matteo.piccioni > Nope, by default the levelbounds are rectangle.
    I think the easiest way to do that would be to override the camera methods to have it constrained within a polygon.
    Edit : if of course you're asking that for the camera. If it's just the player you want to keep within bounds, just have colliders set on the borders of your level.
    Edit 2 : after a better look at the level you're linking, I don't really see why the rectangle level bounds wouldn't do the trick. There are walls all around, the camera will be fine.

8. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Thanks for the reply,
    Yes, I should override the camera method for my need

9. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Hello corgi users.
    As I don't have a xbox controller, I am unsure if the pauze menu or level selection works with a gamepad controller out of the box.

I successfully mapped the buttons on my ps3 dual shock controller which was charmingly easy to do,
    The character happily jumps, crouches, etc all fair and nice.
    But can't seem to get the menu working. however I do can pop up the menu by pressing Select (button map 0)
    I mapped start and X as "submit" or "space" to start the game and that also works.
    However when i pause I only can return to the game by pressing pauze again.

All this by not changing anything on the code nor writing anything custom (for now)

Did anyone found a way mimic the mouse hover and clicks on the menu's / level selection and is willing to share some intel or thoughts?

I am experimenting though in pseudo code. I assume I'll have to make an array and map the axis to each iteration of the array and set the hover state / clicks (or button press on the controller) with code. But before I try that, I was wondering if I am overlooking something that already exists.

Thanks!

10. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

I need that when I am at bottom of the level (for example at the beginning of the 'second row' of the level), the camera stop moving with the wall...the problem is that with rectangle level bounds the camera center the player and show the white background.
    For this way I need to use a different bound level.
    Sorry for my english :(

11. reuno

reuno

@vl54 > Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I didn't get a notification.
    The menu currently only works with the mouse (or touch for touch devices). It's not mapped to gamepad buttons, xbox or otherwise (or keyboard for that matter). I guess that's something I could add in a future release.
    I've done that in other projects though, and I did it pretty much exactly how you describe it, so I think you're on the right path :)
    @matteo.piccioni > An easy solution if you don't want to override the camera controller would be to fill the "hole" in your second row with more bricks, just to avoid having empty spaces. And your English's just fine :)

12. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Thanks for your answer @reuno. It would be a great addition I guess :) (I'll get on the case then for now) the notification was probably since I didn't tag you directly.
    Cheers

13. danydavidpr

danydavidpr

@reuno How can you change the amounts of frame and size of an animation?

is there a handbook for customization?

14. reuno

reuno

@danydavidpr > Well if I understand your question correctly, this is not specific to the Corgi Engine.
    The engine can use mechanim or spritesheets (or any other way to animate supported by Unity really, there are even Spine examples). I'm sure there are a lot of good tutorials out there that explain how to create your own.
    I've put Corgi Engine tutorials on youtube, you can find them there : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWKDp6djGqTqCLvHdjfLLJw

15. danydavidpr

danydavidpr

when you created those animations it had to ask you the amount of frames and/size of each sprite, i believe the animation did not create itself, or am i wrong?

16. danydavidpr

danydavidpr

i imagine that has to be somewhere in the code

17. reuno

reuno

No, the animation did not create itself indeed, but as I already said a few times, this has nothing to do with the Corgi Engine :) This is about how you create animations in Unity. The Engine will work whether you have animations that are 1 frame long or 60 frames long.
    It's not in the code, it's in mecanim, in your spritesheet, in your spine file, wherever you define your animation.
    Maybe have a look at this tutorial : https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/live-training-archive/animate-anything
    To anyone who may have questions like this, I usually suggest you follow a few tutorials before going into the Corgi Engine. As mentioned on its dedicated website, it requires a basic knowledge of Unity, if you want to do more than just reposition stuff in demo levels.
    Does that answer your question, or am I missing the point completely (in that case I'm sorry but you'll have to reformulate it) ?

18. danydavidpr

danydavidpr

another thing... i see that the animation does not change instantly when jumping, is any way to modify it? the script is on the idle state for a few milisecs when is on air

19. reuno

reuno

@danydavidpr > That's something you can change in Mecanim. Have a look at the links I pointed, really, that'll answer all your questions.

20. danydavidpr

danydavidpr

another thing, when i change the number of jumps it does not affect on the changes...still the same default number even if it says another thing

21. reuno

reuno

@danydavidpr > I can positively assure you that the number of jumps work as intended. With that little information it's hard to tell what you're doing wrong. My best guess is that you're changing that on an instance of the prefab, not on the prefab itself, or something like that. Again, just a wild guess, could be anything. As I said before, I'd suggest you follow some basic tutorials to get a grasp of how Unity works.

22. Zarbuz

Zarbuz

Small idea for a future version: adding a grapple might be nice ;)

23. reuno

reuno

Yeah, I've been thinking about it :)

24. Plott

Plott

@reuno

I'm having some issues with the checkpoint script. currently if I have more than 3 in the scene the fourth won't work. (no idea why).

Other than that, I wanted to try something to limit which checkpoint will be used by forcing the player to trigger that script when it enters a collider2d. I have this simple script attached to a game object with a collider2d trigger. (this part works fine)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class SaveTrigger : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public GameObject saveObject;
    8.     void OnTriggerEnter2D (Collider2D other)
    9.     {
    10.         if (other.gameObject.tag == "Player")
    11.         {
    12.             Debug.Log("save trigger");
    13.             saveObject.SetActive(true);
    14.         }
    15.     }
    17. }
    All i did was make an empty game object with the checkpoint script attach. i enabled it "off" so that when the player enters the collider it 'turns it on' and should in affect make that check point work. but it doesn't work.

Do you know how to make it work this way? is it because the checkpoint script is called on Awake, but since its disabled it isn't called?

25. captnflem

captnflem

Hi everyone, hi Reuno.
    Thanks for your works, im on it nights and days these days and not only because i'm a noob haha, its because it's cool to work with, well done.

I'm half thru this forum so i may have skipped something so forgive me in advance if so. I've found a "bug" with going down the one/twoway platform, as far as i understand the bug this feature makes the player in a "noclip" mod, thing is if there's an adjacent wall near the the platform the player can goes thru everything. i've captured the problem in video here:

My two cents idea since i'm pretty noob: maybe remove the ability to control the player when performing the jump+down combo and then get the control back when the player is out of the platform.

26. reuno

reuno

@Plott > You shouldn't turn your checkpoints inactive, that will prevent them from being counted properly, thus causing the behaviors you're noticing. Have a look at the documentation and comments. To do what you want to achieve, you should extend the Checkpoint class into an ActivableCheckpoint (or whatever) and add a "hasBeenActivatedYet" boolean to it. That way the checkpoints will still be taken into account, activated or not.
    @captnflem > Well that's not a bug, that's exactly what the code is meant to do. If you don't want that behavior, you'll want to extend the class and remove collisions for some kind of platforms only, using layer masks. I wouldn't recommend removing the ability to control the character, you don't want to solve an edge case (literally) by ruining the gameplay for all cases.

27. captnflem

captnflem

Thanks for the explanation, i'll try to figure out how to do it best without broking everything :)
    I saw with your comment on my video that you gonna add that in your todolist, thanks! This is great in my opinion because for isolated platforms is fine but when platform are near a wall it's kind of strange to be able to pass through.
    cheers

28. captnflem

captnflem

I don't know if it's related @reuno but i've played a bit with the gravity of the player within the inspector and set it at -80 to have a different feeling. I like the feeling but know when going down a platform the player will go down multiple plateforms, as you can see in this gif.

29. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

30. reuno

reuno

@captnflem > Yup, that's normal, if you change gravity to that extent, you'll want to tweak the hardcoded value for downwards jumps (line 422 of the CharacterBehavior class) to something smaller. I guess I could put that in the inspector, but again, -80 for gravity is a bit extreme so it looks like an edge case to me.

31. captnflem

captnflem

You mean the line 424? I changed it to 0.2f and it works now, changing the transform position of the line 422 doesnt seems to do anything in that regard.

Edit: :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  32. reuno

reuno

Yup, 424, my bad, I was checking on the latest version of the file.
    Edit: Thanks :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  33. Plott

Plott

@reuno Thanks, ill try and re write it.

34. udede

udede

Hi!! Help me please!!

import and this is error

unity 5.0.0f4

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

35. reuno

reuno

@udede > Never seen that before.
    What version of Unity are you on ?
    Try creating a new, completely blank project (no standard assets), and reimport.
    If that doesn't work, please send me an email with your invoice number on the support email, thanks.

udede likes this.
  36. gibble55

gibble55

Hello Reuno,
    First off, what a terrific asset. Thanks so much for creating this!

My question is to do with :
    Sorting layers: It is not differentiating the two layers, both appear on the same plane and at the same depth- even though I manually separated changed their 'Order in Layer'. I am trying to make the two sprites appear at different distances though. I have placed two different sprites on the same layer [Background]. I want one to be closer then the other so it shows depth but that is not happening.

Here is what I tried:
    I did two things to make one further back than the other.
    1. I manually set one sprite further back in Z (4)
    2. I changed the 'Order in Layer' to -5 (the other was 0)

37. reuno

reuno

@gibble55 > WellI wouldn't change the z value, I prefer to have all layers on the same z. But that's really a personal choice, both work.
    And yes, the "order in layer" thing should be enough.
    That said, there's nothing specific to the Corgi Engine here, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.
    The only place where there's something specific to the engine in terms of layer orders is for particles, where I had to add a script to have the particles appear where I wanted them to be, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
    Maybe try with positive order numbers ?
    I suggest you try in a new project first, and then maybe ask for help in the general section of the forum.

38. gibble55

gibble55

Thank you @reuno . I will look into that. Take care.

39. chiquitae126

chiquitae126

Hey,
    @reuno I have an issue... My background is made up of tiles... So when I place my tiles in to create my background my character is behind them... Would you happen to know a simple fix for this I tried sorting layers but that didn't help...

40. chiquitae126

chiquitae126

Never mind @reuno i fixed it

41. dsabatier

dsabatier

Hey @reuno ! This was asked about a year ago so I'm asking again hoping for a new/better answer :) Is this compatible with Spriter Pro? I'm an art school student and looking to make a game for a school project and can't really afford to waste $50 if it won't work with Spriter Pro. Even if it's not officially supported, I'd be satisfied to hear that someone else has found success pairing the two! Looks like a great engine and would save me a fair bit of time so hoping to hear some good new :)

42. reuno

reuno

@dsabatier > Hi. I don't know, I've never tried Spriter Pro. I've added Spine support, as it seems to be the most popular of these apps. I won't add support for each and every one of these softwares, there are too many, and it's basically the same thing everytime. I'd rather focus on the platformer features. Animation is supposed to be handled in Unity. So to sum things up, if Unity works great with your animation app, you should be fine, but there won't be any official support on my part, it's completely outside the scope of a platformer engine.

43. EireStudios

EireStudios

Hi, I'm sorry if this has been answered previously but I honestly don't have the time to read over all the previous posts!

Does this template have a inventory and shop in it? And if it doesn't, is there any plans to add it at a later date?

44. reuno

reuno

EireStudios likes this.
  45. EireStudios

EireStudios

Thanks for the reply! The engine looks incredible and it's exactly what we're looking for, and it's good to see a developer that's very actively adding new features! I'll buy it now and see how it looks with our assets added to it Thanks again for the reply and best of luck with future sales

46. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

hello @reuno,
    there any chance you could ever include spine runtime support with the corginengine (because of the great qualities of the runtime.. ragdoll.. shared material.. skelleton..)? I am taking the opportunity to ask as several animations of Corgiengine are made with spine.

47. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > Well I'm afraid that the Spine licence prevents me from adding support for that. I don't have the right to include the spine runtime in the asset. I agree with you that it'd be a nice addition, and if you're using spine, I highly recommend using their runtime, it allows for a lot of fun stuff.

48. mimminito

mimminito

Hey @reuno, I dont want to badger you on this as lots of people have talked on it before. I own another pack from the store called "2D Anim heroes" and they have a controller built into the pack for Spine support. In fact the pack is solely Spine oriented and contains project files etc. When it launched they were told that they have to have a note on the pack that anyone using it requires a Spine license, but they were still able to keep the controller in there? Maybe there is the possibility of you adding in true Spine support as an asset package, with its own readme stating all users of this package will require a spine license?

I know we have spoken before on Spine and that their API's do change from time to time causing issues with animations, but having a stable official controller for this pack would just be superb.

Again, sorry for going on about Spine support, ill leave it from here on out :)

Mr-Stein likes this.
  49. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

@reuno, for example the "Anim 2D heroes asset" in the UAS supports the runtime of Spine but they do not include the runtime in the package of the asset. What they did was include documentation to explain how to import the runtime of Spine (if you have Spine license) and in this way use the asset with the spine runtime support

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  50. reuno

reuno

@mimminito, @Mr.Stein > that could be a solution, yes. I'm just worried about the ton of support it'd generate. If I add something where the user has to add something on its own, I'm in for a lot of sleepless nights. I'll consider it. Hopefully someday Spine will just change its policy and make life easier for everyone.

Mr-Stein and mimminito like this.