Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. eshansingh

eshansingh

Hey, is there any convenient way to download all of the documentation for use with documentation software like Dash/Zeal/Velocity?

2. reuno

reuno

3. eshansingh

eshansingh

4. jocyf

jocyf

Hi reuno,
    It's possible to modify the corgi 2d controller to make the player walk on the walls or the ceiling? pretty much as GEX does. I mean, the corgi 2D controller has so many features (in the controller itself) that I think it will be difficult to acomplish something like that. Any advise before starting (first attempt) to create such features for my game?

Can corgi interact with physics elements (like a bridge)? So when the player jumps over the bridge (created used joints) the bridge itself reacts to its mass.

Thanks in advance (amazing work BTW).

5. MarkOakley1975

MarkOakley1975

Thanks for taking a look for me! I'll make the change to the code tonight and let you know how it goes.

Can't wait to see the new version. Great asset!

6. eshansingh

eshansingh

Also, is it possible to remove the dependency on all of the GUI stuff? When I try to remove the UI Camera or even any of its elements (like the jetpack display), I get NullReferenceExceptions in the LevelManager. The LevelManager shouldn't NEED GUI elements to be there?! If I don't want my game to have a jetpack, I'm stuck modifying library code! (Sure, I did remove the Character Jetpack from the player object, but then the UI doesn't let me remove the jetpack bar. It doesn't make any sense!)

7. eshansingh

eshansingh

There is also a dependency on player characters having animations. When I'm prototyping, I don't have animations for my player. It shouldn't be required by law for there to BE an animator object.

8. MarkOakley1975

MarkOakley1975

Hi Reno,
    I made the change to the script as posted but still can't see much, if any difference in the jump height from a quick tap to a long hold.

Any thoughts?

9. mimminito

mimminito

Has anyone got a fully working Spine character controller? I know for legal reasons the Spine runtime cannot be included in the package, so I am currently building my own. However getting all of the states implemented correctly seems to be a challenge (or I'm being a bit stupid). It would be great to start a Spine controller for this hosted on GitHub if thats allowed? Or if @reuno is has one available already, would be great to get access to it?

10. reuno

reuno

Hi all, sorry for the late replies, I was off for the weekend (and Monday too apparently).
    @jocyf > Well technically nothing prevents you from implementing a Gex-like mechanics (that takes me way back). I'd say it'll take an amount of time proportional to the number of other features you want to keep. You'll have to add code to handle jetpacking while walking on the ceiling, shooting, etc... But yeah right now you can "walk" on the ceiling while jetpacking, just flip the sprite vertically and you're almost there :)
    As for physics, in one of the last updates I've added basic physics interactions. I wouldn't recommend that for anything more than block pushing or stuff like that. If you want bridges that react to weight and stuff like that, well that's what physics engines are for :)
    @eshansingh > These are very good points. I'll change that in an upcoming version (hopefully the next one). To be honest at the beginning these dependencies weren't there, but then people complained that it made the code too complex to read. I think it was a mistake to introduce them, bad practice and all. I'll fix that.
    @MarkOakley1975 > Hum no idea right now, maybe it was linked to something else I changed since the last update then. I'll try and release the next one soon, hopefully it'll fix your problem.
    @mimminito > As far as I understand the Spine legal terms, it's not allowed to include the runtime in a package, or host it on Github, or anything. I had one working but it stopped working a few weeks ago when I updated my spine runtimes. They break compatibility too frequently for this to be a good choice in production (in my opinion). I'm in love with their software but I think they still have work to do on the runtimes. I'm sticking to exporting to spritesheets right now. If you run into specific issues while trying to implement your own drop me an email and I'll try to help :)

11. Plott

Plott

@reuno So I've been working with this for about month now and I got to say.... great job! I've found it be super easy to switch things out and change things the way I need them so far. I have one issue that isn't part of your code, but something I need to add.

I'm using your ladder script, but instead of using it as a ladder I'm using it more for climbing up objects on a wall. (think vines hanging down the side, etc) so everything works great, i took out the code that snaps the character to it, since it technically needs to just be on the outside of the object to climb. So I found that if i jump while climbing it'll let you climb facing the wrong way, (if the wall is on the left the player would be able to face right while climbing, looking like you facing nothing.) Do you have any idea on a simple way to solve this issue? i don't know where to start, but was thinking making a selection button to force left or force right. and be able to check on one or the other.

The product is great, thanks!

R

12. MarkOakley1975

MarkOakley1975

Hi Reno,
    I've been having a play with the code you posted and it looks like it is working now. The problem seems to be that it's such a heir trigger between a tiny jump and a full jump that it's very hard to control. I've played with the "jumpButtonPressTime" float value, as well as the "Jump Height" and "Jump Minimum Air Time" values and I can't seem to make it a pronounced enough difference.

I know you've got a lot on getting the new release live, but this feature was one of the main reasons I purchased the asset and it's integral to my game, so any suggestions would be really appreciated.

13. mimminito

mimminito

Thanks for the help. I am getting there, I think its just a case of trying to convert the mecanim state machine into code properly. Ill email you if I need anything else. Thanks!

14. reuno

reuno

@Plott > Glad you like the engine :) Well I guess it depends on your animations. You could force a "climb while facing left" animation on certain vines, and a "climb while facing right" on others. I guess you could even automate that choice by detecting what direction the player entered the vine.
    @MarkOakley1975 > As I said, it's fixed in the upcoming release. I've given you the fix, and you just said it was working :) Not sure exactly what more I can do to help. If you think it's still not noticeable enough, maybe just remove the minimum air time restriction in the code directly. With these values I get really different jumps :
    Jump Height : 7
    Jump Minimum Air Time : 0.01
    Number of Jumps : 1
    Jump proportional to the press time : Checked

15. MarkOakley1975

MarkOakley1975

Thanks for getting back to me Reno, really appreciate the support on this!

I've been looking at the code a bit more closely and I've found what I was looking for. For what it's worth (and to save you having to answer the question again from anyone with the coding level of... well, a graphic designer like me) you can tweak the sensitivity of the jump by simply changing the value in the following line of code in CharacterBehaviour.CS:

168 _controller.AddForce(new Vector2(0,2 * -Mathf.Abs(_controller.Parameters.Gravity) * Time.deltaTime ));

Thanks again for being so responsive though Reno. Can't wait to see the latest version!

16. reuno

reuno

@MarkOakley1975 > Glad you figured it out. I'll make that variable accessible from the inspector. It should never have been hardcoded like that, my mistake.

17. eshansingh

eshansingh

@reuno > Sorry for being a little rude, I just got a little frustrated with it at that time. Really sorry. Your asset saves me a lot of time, but of course I know as you are a developer too and you will make mistakes.

Looking forward to see a new version with looser coupling!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  18. mimminito

mimminito

@reuno Hey, I seem to have found a bug when climbing down ladders. If the ladders do not touch the floor, then when the player gets to the bottom of a ladder and continues to move down, he continues to move downwards in the climbing state. The player then when hitting the floor cannot move until I jump which kicks it out of the state.

To replicate this, load the Mesa1 level and move the first ladder up so it does not touch the floor.

I assume this is a bug and not by design. If its by design ill work around it.

19. reuno

reuno

@mimminito > well that's a bug alright. All my ladders touch the ground, never ran into that. I'll fix that.

20. mimminito

mimminito

Thanks! I did have a bug in my code (masking your bug) but when trying in your demo scene I noticed it as well.

21. Antonio_Ketch

Antonio_Ketch

Hello everyones
    I created a tile map by 2D toolkit. Corgi can move on plane as well. But it can't move up to hill. As the below screenshot. Corgi still move on sample scenes as well. I think the diffirent is 2Dtoolkit use Edge collider 2D. I am working on the lastest version corgi engine and unity 5.2
    please help me

Attached Files:

22. reuno

reuno

@Hanh > No, the engine handles Edge colliders too. It's probably because of the slope angle limit, which is 45° by default, and your slopes seem to be at that angle or more. Just push it up, it's tweakable from the inspector (CorgiController). I recommend using box colliders or polygon colliders though, that's what the engine is for. I've never used 2D Toolkit myself, but people have told me you can just change what it generates.

23. Antonio_Ketch

Antonio_Ketch

Easily. Great thanks

24. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

Has anyone tried building a game with a 3d character instead of a 2d one? Since it's mecanim, seems like it might be possible, but just curious if it's been already implemented before.

Would want everything else to behave the same as before (just 2d raycast), but just replace the assets (character / environment) with 3d assets instead....seems doable, no?

25. reuno

reuno

@gekidoslair > yes, it's doable. You'll want to replace all 2D raycasts with regular raycasts, and all 2D colliders to regular colliders. I'd say it requires good dev skills though, and could take a few hours/days. If you're willing to wait, it's on my todo list for an upcoming release (someday).

And while I'm on the subject of releases, I've just submitted v1.7 of the Corgi Engine to the Asset Store. As usual expect a few days before being able to give it a try.

It's a major update, full of new stuff. Here's the changelog :
    - All classes are now extendables, and all methods overridable.
    - Particle effects in CharacterBehavior are now optional
    - Prevents enemies from scaling back to 1,1,1 after a respawn
    - Adds the Super Hipster Bros level, basically a Super Mario-like level
    - Adds the Brobro level, basically Broforce
    - Fixes a bug with initial health
    - Adds a mushroom power up, a la mario, that doubles the size of the player
    - Adds a behavior that prevents AI agents from falling from platforms if desired
    - Adds a pause menu (restart level, exit...)
    - Adds a level selection screen
    - Fixes a bug that prevented proportional jumps to work in some cases
    - Adds more control on proportional jumps
    - Fixes a bug that could happen when exiting a ladder that was not anchored to the ground
    - Adds much more resilience to lag spikes, cpu freezes etc
    - Removes coupling, namely dependencies on GUIManager and Animator (@eshansingh > if you find more places where you feel like stuff should be refactored just let me know)
    - Adds a mobile pause button (press the bottom left corner)

Basically the content of this update comes from the feedback and questions I've been getting since the last update. People seemed happy with the features and the stability of the asset, but wanted easier ways to override stuff. I also read a few comments (sadly outside of this thread) saying the engine was only good if you wanted to make the exact same game as the demo levels. Obviously that's not true, so I've added 2 new levels, one that imitates the first level of Super Mario Bros, and one that takes inspiration from Broforce (well basically you can destroy platforms and climb ladders, you'd have to add more characters etc, I'll leave that to you).

To sum things up, with this update I think the engine allows for even more customization, and gives you all the tools to create the platformer of your dreams.

And I've uploaded a short video showcasing some of the new stuff :

26. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Wooow, congratulations @reuno !!! Look super cool

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  27. Antonio_Ketch

Antonio_Ketch

I wanna cry. the update's amazing. it's exactly what I need

28. CocosGames

CocosGames

Hi, @reuno !

Your game engine looks great! But it crashes on my old iphone (4s) during level loading.

How can I fix it?

29. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

is important if you can tell the info about you iphone, like IOS version

30. CocosGames

CocosGames

iphone (4s) 16G ios 8.1 also 9.02
    The start screen can be shown correctly, but the game fails loading the first level. (crashes after the screen turns to black)
    I think it has not enough memory.

31. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein ,@Hanh > Really happy you guys like the update :)
    @dullgame > Well to be exact, it's not the engine that crashes (probably), but rather the demo levels.
    Some of them make use of Unity's camera effects (bloom, stuff like that), so you might want to disable them on slower devices (like an old iphone). The fact that the start screen works is a good indication that this is the cause of the problem.
    Try turning off these effects (located on the main camera prefab).

32. eshansingh

eshansingh

@reuno Love it! I'll try it out later. Thanks for listening!

33. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

@reuno, Corgi Engine is very close to look like "Super time force" game and look super cool.. I do not know if you know that game. If you do not know the game then this is the link, it might be useful someday:

could you implement some day a particles system or camera effects similar to "Super time force" game to Corgi Engine?, It could be very cool I think :p

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  34. mimminito

mimminito

@reuno Looks fantastic! Cant wait to try it out.

35. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > Yes, I know Super Time Force, it's an amazing game.
    I think apart from the "time rewind" feature, the engine offers a strong foundation for a game like that.
    As for the particles, Unity already supports effects like that, and they can be easily reproduced. As for the camera effects, I'm not sure which ones you're talking about. Haven't played the game in a while but I don't remember anything specific about the cameras.

36. Plott

Plott

looks great! thanks!

37. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

awesome, thanx for the quick reply. might be up to the challenge of doing the port, will see if I have time ;}

otherwise, love the pack, looks and plays great.

38. Triconcept

Triconcept

Loving the new update. Any news on if you plan to add a save game feature? I didn't see it in your list of updates but wasn't sure if its a dependency of one of the features listed like the "in game menu" feature.

39. reuno

reuno

@Triconcept > Yes, that's on my roadmap. Well it wasn't on the website until you mentioned it, but it's definitely coming :) Removed the "in game menu" by the way, that's done now.

40. teanie

teanie

Hay, Corgi engine is amazing, but i've question. how I can add sound efect for another animation? like dash,run,jetpack? and also add particle for other animation like dash,run,walk.

Thanks

41. reuno

reuno

@teanie > Just have a look at how it works for the jump for example, it's all documented and is just one line of code.
    If you have more questions like this, please send me an email on the support email, thanks.

42. mimminito

mimminito

@reuno Hey our designer just asked if we could turn off the raycasts debug when in editor mode. So I looked into it and I noticed you dont allow that via the inspector. Could you add that in? I can also see that you pass in a debug variable to your CorgiTools method but dont use it.

43. reuno

reuno

@mimminito > Sure, it's super easy to change.

mimminito likes this.
  44. mimminito

mimminito

Ive already gone in and turned them off for him, just an FYI to add in, would be helpful! Thanks :) The new levels are awesome btw.

45. reuno

reuno

Glad you like them :) Sorry if I wasn't clear : I meant it'd be added in the next update. I'm still wondering if that should be a global setting or if it'd be best on each CorgiController though.

mimminito likes this.
  46. mimminito

mimminito

Per corgi controller. I envisioned a debug foldout which lets you tweak things like this. Thanks for adding it in :)

47. reuno

reuno

@mimminito > Sounds good to me. First feature of 1.7.1 then :)

mimminito likes this.
  48. haruyou

haruyou

Hi. I like this asset.

in dialoguezone(minimal scene.)
    When I fire a spacebar in rapid succession, that freezes.
    ------- error message is
    MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'DialogueBox' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.

mypc -- windows8.1,unity5.21p3

49. reuno

reuno

@yousuke haruguchi > I'll add a fix for that in the next release, thanks for reporting this.

50. tahmzad

tahmzad

Hey @reuno I am creating a 2.5D side scroller with 2D elements which I mentioned in a post previously on Page 17 I believe. I am trying to create elements with 3D box colliders like floors etc. but Corgi only works with 2D colliders. Considering I have zero coding experience, how should I go about doing it?

Also I changed Camera projection from Orthographic to Perspective to show depth but its not exactly meant to work this way. Is there a way to add Unity's default 3D camera and attach it to main character?

Thanks in advance and keep up the amazing work man.