Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@zero_equals_zero > that's a side effect of the changes made for the new moving platforms. I'm working on fixing this.

2. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Oh I see. That might be a bit too hard for me to find out myself. But I'll have a look.
    Thanks, if you could keep me updated before a next update that would be awesome :)
    Cheers

3. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

It would be super cool if we could optionally use spline curves for the waypoint motion of platforms to make the motion more "organic" looking. Also, using an AnimationCurve to define the in/out easing of waypoints would make things even more customizable.

mimminito likes this.
  4. reuno

reuno

mimminito likes this.
  5. DeanMarquette

DeanMarquette

Hi, in the latest update you added slippery platforms for icy surfaces. I'm to far along in development to import the entire update (to many changes). However, I do have a winter level I would like to add the icy surface to. What all do I need to import just for the icy surface to work?

6. reuno

reuno

@DeanMarquette > Hard to tell, it's not gonna be simple if you haven't extended classes.
    The slippery surfaces impact the CorgiController mostly, but it has impacts on CharacterBehavior too (and of course the SurfaceModifier class). If you haven't properly extended classes, I wouldn't recommend trying it.

7. DeanMarquette

DeanMarquette

I figured as much, okay thanks. I guess that and any new upgrades will have to be apart of part 2.

8. usama-qureshi

usama-qureshi

How to integrate other 2d characters with different animations in this Engine?? Is this engine supports other character mechanim ????

9. reuno

reuno

@usama.qureshi > Of course it supports other animations :) That's the whole point of the engine. You can see a tutorial about that on youtube :

And by the way, I'd like to share with you guys a cool game created by PixelAfterPixel for the last LD.
    It's called Pix, and was created using the Corgi Engine.

You can get it there : https://itch.io/jam/lowrezjam2016/rate/62190

10. usama-qureshi

usama-qureshi

Thanks for Fast reply.

reuno likes this.
  11. karmik

karmik

Hi There @reuno
    am planing to buy a platformer. Just want to check if i can create a top down shooterwith corgi and if there is any example for this. I am not a coder. So just checking if there is any ready to resking example included for top down shooter.

12. Bagnol

Bagnol

@karmik Corgi isn't designed to make top-down games. It's for making side-scrolling games like Super Mario Bros. You will need a different asset to make a top-down shooter.

@reuno said this when the same question was asked on page 25-

13. karmik

karmik

@Bagnol tks :)
    Wishfull thinking. hoping to get 2 for the price of one

14. Bagnol

Bagnol

@karmik I totally understand where you're coming from - unfortunately this is just one of those cases where the two systems are just a bit too different to be combined into one package. :)

15. reuno

reuno

@karmik > yup, as @Bagnol said, this is a platformer engine, won't do much for a top down game I'm afraid :)

16. reuno

reuno

Someone just pointed me to LESS, another Ludum Dare game created with the Corgi Engine.
    It's quite pretty and the shapeshifting mechanic is really nice.
    You can play it here.

Which makes me think I haven't shared my own Ludum Dare entry here.

So it's called Shapeshifter Biker, and it's a roguelike where you play a biker who can turn into the various animals he collects, and must escape deadly pickup enemies.

I reused a few parts of the Corgi Engine and the Infinite Runner Engine to do it, mostly spawners to optimize performance and spawn the enemies. I hope you'll like the game! Here's a short video of it :

You can play it here.

mimminito likes this.
  17. mimminito

mimminito

Damn your good at what you do @reuno ! Amazing work.

18. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

19. reuno

reuno

@mimminito > Thanks!
    @Devision4 > I hadn't considered it actually. I'd have to clean up the code a bit then, it's pretty rough, I only had 72 hours so there are some parts that'd need a lot of polish. But why not!

pushingpandas likes this.
  20. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

That would be awesome!

21. heerok7

heerok7

Can anyone point me in the direction where to flip the character while wall sliding? I want to add the ability to shoot while wall sliding.

Thanks in advance!

22. reuno

reuno

@heerok7 > You should have a look at the WallClinging method in CharacterBehavior. That's where the detection and implementation of wall sliding is done. I suggest extending CharacterBehavior and overriding this method to add a call to Flip() and possibly some more stuff. You'll also want to make changes to JumpStart() I guess as wall jumps are based on direction.

23. heerok7

heerok7

@reuno awesome, thank you! the updates really helped out on some other things too. Amazing work, keep up the good work!

reuno likes this.
  24. jaelove

jaelove

Any update on the beat em up engine?

25. reuno

reuno

26. mimminito

mimminito

@reuno Another request (although we can override it for now), could the death force be an inspector parameter? Allows easier tweaking.

27. reuno

reuno

mimminito > Definitely. I'll change that in the next update.

mimminito likes this.
  28. mimminito

mimminito

@reuno Sorry to be a pain again haha, but could we also have some checks for any scripts that are setting colors on materials? Spine for example does not have the standard _Color property for its shader meaning it throws an error inside the script. Ive modified it to the following for the Start method:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Renderer rend = GetComponent<Renderer> ();
    2. if (rend != null) {
    3.     if (rend.material.HasProperty ("_Color")) {
    4.         _initialColor = rend.material.color;
    5.     }
    6. }
    EDIT: Ill probably add a SetColor method for that script, as its called a few places.

29. reuno

reuno

@mimminito > sure, that's a good idea, I'll do that.

30. ms1army

ms1army

@reuno hey, what about Universal Win 10 app, so far I can't get mobile imputs working! could you check that, or I'm doing something wrong.

31. reuno

reuno

@ms1army > Can't really help on that, I don't have any mobile win 10 device. The mobile controls are just based on the Unity's standard assets ones, no idea if they should work on win10 mobile or not.

32. medidog

medidog

Thank you so much for your lovely comment @reuno ! I was planning to post this here sooner, but then saw you already saw it and I am really happy ^^

I just played and rated your entry, the Shapeshifter Biker, it looks amazing :) !

You can play and rate mine here if you like.

Also, always wanted to thank you here, but did not have a chance! Thank you so much for your great efforts to build this engine. It has been great since I follow, but it is really great lately and wanted to do more games with it, and planning to ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  33. reuno

reuno

@medidog > Congrats on your game! Really love the colors and animations, great job!

34. raistlir

raistlir

Hi Reuno!
    Ive purchased corgi few weeks ago,mostly for learning purposes.
    theres something that bothers me a bit, while the engine seems smooth i.e it has no hickups of frame rate ups and downs, the whole movement is jittery. what i mean is, the player movement is fine, however, everything that is moving "against the player" (f.e run hipster bros and just run forward) is stuttering. is there a way to fix this issue? the stutter occurs on all platforms (also in demo videos). for me at least and for my co devs, it is not possible to play any sort of platformer , as it irritates the eyes. is there a simple solution for that? thanks!

35. reuno

reuno

@ralstlir > I think you're encountering a classic Unity bug. I remember having dealt with that at some point, can't really remember what fixed it for me.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/2d...-possible-to-use-unity-4-x-2d-feature.227757/
    I don't have it anymore on my devices (or maybe I'm used to it).
    Search for Unity 2D stutter, you'll find tons of posts about it. Some will tell you to turn vsync on or off (http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/861220/stuttering-graphics-with-vsync-on.html), some will tell you to play with interpolation (http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/864811/2d-unity-games-stuttering.html).
    In any case, this is on Unity's side, as far as I can tell.

36. reuno

reuno

@ralstlir > I just remembered having lost a complete afternoon on a project not so long ago, thinking the game's motion was all jerky and all, only to realize that it only looked like that in the editor, once I built for Mac, PC or mobile, the jerkiness was gone. Not sure if that's what's happening here. Might be worth a try.

37. painkiller2007

painkiller2007

Hey @reuno , the wall jump right now is dependent on the wall clinging, which is weird. I am in a situation in which i do not want wall clinging but need wall jump. Do you have an easy fix for this ? I can figure out the modifications but it might take some time. The wall jump boolean parameter in character behavior is not really doing anything at all in the new update. :|

38. reuno

reuno

@painkiller2007 > yes, that's by design. Both are linked (as in Metroid games, which was the inspiration for this).
    It's quite easy to change though, just have a look at the code, it's basically a condition to remove, shouldn't be too hard.

39. raistlir

raistlir

hey, thanks for replying so quickly.
    unfortunately i have lost countless hours as well on smoothing things out and reached a decent goal. (on my own project, tho it usesregular physics not raycasting)

well, unfortunately it is not editor or unity related.
    the stutter(its not really a stutter) exists in : editor, standalone build (pc,ios), it exists on your preview videos , on the "LESS" game mentioned up here, in the 2.5d,2d,3d levels and everywhere. again it is not a stutter, it may just be how physics and movement are handled. again - everything that moves "Against" the player be it parallex bg, platforms,etc is not smooth. once this issue is fixed the engine will be tremendously better in my opinion.
    (to see what i mean by smoothness simply compare to other games, i suggest "Mr Jump" on the appstore) you can compare how platforms move smoothly while your player runs towards them. thanks for the quick responses.

**also, please check the standalone ios build, it is unplayable. the jump button does not work inside levels (it works outside to enter them tho). so you cant jump, also some animations like shooting , jetpack get stuck.

40. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

Maybe try changing the update method of the camera. It can update on Update(), LateUpdate(), or FixedUpdate(). Sometimes physics and rendering are jittery unless they update in a certain order.

41. AshyB

AshyB

Anybody else getting stuck on walls? If I take one of the platforms from the mesa1 demo and rotate it 90 degrees then jump at the vertical wall to try and jump off again I get stuck. But sliding down the wall is fine.

Code (csharp):
    1. transform.position assign attempt for 'spine-space-corgi(Clone)' is not valid. Input position is { -85.987450, NaN, 0.000000 }.
    2. UnityEngine.Transform:Translate(Vector3, Space)
    3. MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.CorgiController:FixedUpdate() (at Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Character/CorgiController.cs:230)
    It's alright got it, was using the wrong character prefab. You need to use the ones under Resources>PlayableCharacters and not the ones under the Spine folder.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  42. reuno

reuno

@AshyB > I'm glad you figured it out, because that was a weird one :)
    And indeed, all playable character prefabs are in Resources/PlayableCharacters.
    The Spine folder contains only the Spine imported animations/skeletons, you're not supposed to use these in your game directly.

43. reuno

reuno

@raistlir > Do you have an example of a Unity project (maybe one of the Unity standard projects ?) where you don't feel that stuttering ? Because I don't see any difference between https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11228 for example and the Engine.
    I'll have a look at the iOS build right away. Haven't checked that in a while.

44. raistlir

raistlir

hi again :)

the funny thing is that the official unity examples are stuttering (but for a different reason)

i would really like to see this engine at its best!!

perhaps you can see on this example ( https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7082546/Asset Store/forest_pack/web player.html )
    how the backgrounds move against the player. it is just a demo for one of the assets in the store and the char itself has some issues(interpolation) but try looking at the background

if it is still not clear i will compile my own scene

thanks Reuno!

45. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Regarding stuttering: Take a look at this video. (not saying it will resolve that)
    But I found out that 2D is by far harder to run smoothly than a 3D scene.

Currently rewriting a lot of code in corgi as a couple of tests presented in this video really opened my eyes how code works. I hope @reuno see's this as well. Not pointing any fingers but these tips are awesome.

Cheers

46. reuno

reuno

@zero_equals_zero > Have you seen any performance improvement applying these "tips" ?
    Not saying they're bad advice, but apart from the object pool (and I love object pools) these days that's not what I'd target to improve performance.

47. gumboots

gumboots

Hi there!

I'm currently implementing the platforming of Corgi into my game, I don't need it handling input, or the world map etc., just the actual platform engine. When an update comes through for Corgi, and I get warned that it's a 'Complete Project', is this going to override input settings etc. that I've setup? How do I go about just getting the features/bug fixes of the new version?

Also, I had thought Corgi comes with sliding down slopes, does this exist? Or did I imagine it? I've got a slope at a higher angle than my maximumSlopeAngle, however when I land on it I just stand there.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  48. gumboots

gumboots

Hey again!

Also I'm integrating multiplayer, and I was wondering if you can think of a non-destructive way to have Corgi characters collide with other Corgi characters, without having the raycasts colliding with themselves?

49. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction... basically I have implemented a simple lives system that also retains points until Game Over. What I am trying to do now is make it so that any coins collected don't re-spawn when the player dies. Not sure if I should be doing something like an if/else on the coins script in the set active boolean or maybe something with a start or awake function. Any ideas or advice much appreciated.

50. reuno

reuno

@gumboots > The super safe way to do that would be to have 2 projects. One where you just import the stuff, and then you copy/paste to your project, with your own settings etc. But usually I try and have the updates be as non destructive as possible and maintain maximum compatibility. As for multiplayer collision, it's very tricky, and can't really be explained in a few lines, but you'll have to dig deep into the CorgiController script if you want to implement that. It's not just a checkbox somewhere in the inspector I'm afraid :(
    @MudPuppet > If you don't want coins to respawn automatically, just duplicate the Coin class to create your own MudPuppetCoin class (feel free to change that name) and remove the IPlayerRespawnListener interface implementation. Remove the reference to it in the class declararation, and that last method. The code is all commented and the Coin class is quite simple, I'm sure you'll have no trouble with it.

JeffSLG likes this.