Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, I also was thinking about this kind of thing but felt that it needed to be part of some kind of 'traps'n'triggers' solution to cover all of those things like door switches, floor traps (spikes coming up?), ceiling traps (boulder falls on player), trigger enemy projectiles from walking on a plate, etc etc. Sure most of this would be pretty easy to sort out by users; but it would be way faster to set up and use in the engine (building or setting things up as you go) with greater versatility for building upon too.

2. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > switches will be the focus of the next update (2.2).

In the meantime, I'm happy to announce I've just submitted v2.1 to the Asset Store!
    It's quite a heavy update, with a lot of new stuff and a few bugfixes.

I'll be posting details here until the proper release.
    Let's start with this video that covers everything you need to know about the new moving platforms :

3. Discipol

Discipol

@reuno I don't understand why the character has rigidbody 2d on it while you are using rays to check of collisions. Is it just for pushable objects? I would like maybe not use rigidbody 2d, what happens if I would remove it from everything? I also jumped off a geyser thingy and it propelled me into the sky o_O that a bug?

4. reuno

reuno

I guess the "geyser thingy" you speak of is a jumper. That's exactly what it should do :)
    And yes, the rigidbody is just here as a fallback for physics interactions. You can remove it if you want, I don't think it'll have much impact.

5. Discipol

Discipol

Ah I meant it really REALLY shoots the corgi character up in the sky, but only sometimes when I combine it with a jump.

Anyway, aside from pushing boxes, is the rigidbody used for anything else relevant? I also noticed that sunshines don't trigger, neither portals :| confuzzled

6. reuno

reuno

Sunshines ? I'm not sure what you're talking about here :)
    What version of the engine are you using ?

7. Discipol

Discipol

corgi 2.0 and Mesa2.unity on unity 5.3.4. Here's an image. I removed the rigidbody2d from the cat clone and it won't interact with the portal or sunshine (behind the cat).

sunshine.png

8. reuno

reuno

Ok, the sunshine is a coin. But I guess sunshine's fine too.
    That's to be expected, the rigidbody2D is used for triggers too, and coins work with triggers, as do portals.
    I guess you can work around that by adding kinematic rigidbodies to the objects (coins/portals/...) instead of the player.
    May I ask why you want to get rid of it ?

9. Discipol

Discipol

Certainly! Big scenes and I wanted to cut the parts I won't use, to avoid unnecessary calculations. There were some words of warning in one of your youtube videos :|

10. reuno

reuno

I'd leave the rigidbody on the player then. Well depending on your exact gameplay and target device that can or cannot be useful, but it'll have little to no impact on the performance. What will have more impact is stuff like the size of your visual assets, the size of your level, camera effects, things like that.
    Of course there's no generic answer to "how do I keep the footprint to a minimum", but Unity provides a lot of stat tools to keep an eye on that, the best way is to check with your project to see what has a big impact on performance.

11. Discipol

Discipol

I understand, and I take your advice to heart. Aside from triggers, does the rigidbody 2d work with anything else? I saw the cat clone is still affected by gravity & stuff. Also thank you for your quick replies!

12. reuno

reuno

@Discipol > Sorry, that last one wasn't as quick, I had to get some sleep at some point.
    As I said, the rigidbody2d is mostly used for physics fallback and triggers (coins, enemies, surface modifiers...).

13. reuno

reuno

One of the many new features of version 2.1 is a new scene loader manager. Now you can, with only one line of code, change scene and have a sweet, fast and super light loader handle everything for you. You can of course customize it, add your own logo and colors, but also customize the progress bar, have one (or more) animation loop while it loads, and show something else when it's done. No more black screens!

14. Bagnol

Bagnol

Looks awesome, @reuno. Great work.

reuno likes this.
  15. squeakyrat

squeakyrat

Hey there, sorry if this has been asked before, I read through about 10 pages of this thread (effort was there!).

I've purchased a copy of this engine, definitely worth the cost!

My questions are...

1. Is there any "Save" feature?
    2. Can the current level state be persisted when changing levels and returning later?
    3. Can the Dialogue change based on some sort of trigger? e.g. Talk to a character that has lost an object, you find it and return to them, they say something else?

Awesome work on the engine overall, very impressed.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  16. reuno

reuno

@oomta > I'm glad you like the engine :)
    First of all, you can see a full list of feature over at http://www.moremountains.com/corgi-engine-best-unity-2d-platformer
    Then on to your questions :
    1 (and 2 I guess) - There's no save feature. It's on my todo list, and very easy to do. The only thing that's prevented me from adding it already is the fact that I'm not exactly sure what people would like to save. Global progress ? In my opinion saves are very gameplay specific. What would you like ?
    3 - The dialogue system can handle stuff like that, but you have to code it, again, it's extremely specific (can't really code a generic solution for "losing an object" :). But all the methods are there to do so, so it shouldn't be too hard. Let me know if that causes you trouble.

17. squeakyrat

squeakyrat

Both make sense. Was just seeing if there was anything out of the box and as you pointed out, it's very specific to every project.

I'm going to add some customisations to my version. Happy to share anything I find useful.

Thanks again!

18. reuno

reuno

I was thinking of adding in the next version some kind of basic save system that would at least tell you what levels were completed, in the way the old mario games did. More than that seems too specific.
    And you're welcome :)

19. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

@reuno
    On your previous answer: you ask: not exactly sure what players would like to save.
    Maybe here a few "obvious" ideas, however translatable as example for custom work to your purchasers.
    As such for my own game i've stored in player-prefs: (most of them i don't even use but it's good to experiment
    For example: storing enemy kills was fun to

which level they are in
    which checkpoint was the last triggered in that scene, if not; store player position
    permissions: lets say shoot is only permitted once a gun token has been picked up. (personally I consider the permissions as upgrades in my game, thus i saved them)
    cooldowns (based on permissions) Dash cooldown, jetpackfuel.
    coin points
    players life
    player deaths total and per level
    play time total / play time per level
    if the slow time was active + its remaining time
    enemy kills (total / per level)

I also made a few changes (overrides) to the checkpoints and made a custom message system to save fe. after a large fight or at the end of each gateway to next level.

All in all not too bad to do, but a great addition to corgi I guess.

Nice one on the 2.1 loading screens. I also just saw the 2.1 update: Awesome work. Love the new things.
    Corgi is learning new tricks ;) All the best!

20. reuno

reuno

@zero_equals_zero > Really good additions indeed. I think I'll do just that then :)

zero_equals_zero likes this.
  21. reuno

reuno

While the update is pending validation, here's a video showcasing most of the new stuff in v2.1 :

Bhanshee00, jaelove, Bagnol and 2 others like this.
  22. Bagnol

Bagnol

Great stuff @reuno - some really exciting features there. The surface modifiers in particular are going to make everyone's projects 10x cooler.

reuno likes this.
  23. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

It's live!
    Nice work! for me at least the most epic update to date :) I love the new structure

24. reuno

reuno

@zero_equals_zero > It's live indeed!

Here's a complete changelog of v2.1 for the record :
    - Adds surface modifiers : you can now create slippery surfaces like ice, or sticky ones like mud, and much more!
    - Adds a whole new environment, perfect for fast prototyping
    - Adds a new level showcasing all the platform-related features of the engine
    - Adds treadmills : you can now have surfaces apply forces to your characters. Create treadmills, trampolines, and anything you can think of!
    - Adds much better moving platform. You can now have them loop, wait for your character, pause at certain points. Plus they're now super easy to setup!
    - Adds support for a dangling animation when you're close to an edge (detection distance is of course customizable)
    - Adds an animated scene loading manager
    - Adds old school ropes, and a new ability to add a grip to any object for your character to hang from
    - Adds button handled portals
    - Adds an optional FPS counter
    - Adds a much cleaner folder structure to the project, now sorted by demos
    - Makes level bounds optional for all previous dependencies (less coupling)
    - Improves the possibilities to fine tune wall jumps
    - Fixes a bug that could happen when the jetpack force wasn't strong enough to lift the character from the ground
    - Fixes a bug that could glue you to a moving platform when jumping up
    - Fixes a bug that could happen when jetpacking from a moving platform
    - Fixes a bug where a flickering enemy could end up with a wrong color
    - Fixes a bug where you could stomp on really small enemies but still get hurt
    - Greatly reduces the weight of all visual assets without losing too much quality, for lighter builds
    - Removes dependency on material color on CharacterBehavior
    - Adds MMTools namespace, which regroups various helper classes for cleaner code organization
    - Adds a new method to debug variables and the likes directly on screen.
    - Fixes a bug that sometimes prevented playable characters animations now stop walking when colliding with a wall
    - Jetpack now doesn't necessarily require a particle emitter (it'll still look better with one)
    - Adds vibration on iOS/Android on death
    - Fixes a bug with AutoDestroyParticleSystem introduced in a recent Unity update
    - Adds a warning when the x offset of a CorgiController’s box collider ain’t set to zero.

I hope you'll all like this new version. Let me know if you find anything funny, and if you do like it, don't hesitate to leave a good note and/or review on the Asset Store, that'll speed up the next update!

LoDx, Bagnol, jaelove and 3 others like this.
  25. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

I keep getting this error:
    Assets/CorgiEngine/scripts/helpers/PathFollow.cs(21,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PathDefinition' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

26. reuno

reuno

@Cereal_Killa > That's completely normal, the PathFollow class is deprecated now.
    You should use PathMovement, which is the new way to create moving platforms (see this video to see how it works) :

27. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

I haven't used anything. I've just imported the asset "as-is".
    Perhaps you need to remove PathFollow from the asset if it's no longer used..

In the meantime, am I safe to delete the script?

28. LoDx

LoDx

Hi @reuno ,
    Thanks for the cool update v2.1 .

Just updated moment ago, unfortunately having these errors :-
    I'm using unity v5.3.4f1 & Corgi Engine v2.1
    Thanks!
    CorgiEng-v2-1.jpg

29. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

I deleted the PathFollow script and now I'm getting the same errors as above:
    Assets/CorgiEngine/scripts/helpers/CorgiTools.cs(142,38): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Animator' does not contain a definition for `HasParameterOfType' and no extension method `HasParameterOfType' of type `UnityEngine.Animator' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I'm using unity v5.3.2f1 & Corgi Engine v2.1

30. reuno

reuno

@Cereal_Killa, @LoDx > Ok, I just tried importing the asset into a blank, new project, just to check, and I'm not getting any error.
    Could you try that too, just to be sure there's nothing wrong ?

Now on to the errors you're seeing :
    I think they're caused by old versions of the scripts, conflicting with the new ones. It would be a good idea to remove them. Maybe make a backup of your project first.
    @Cereal_Killa > I have removed PathFollow from the asset, as it is indeed no longer used, it's your old version that's causing the error.

31. Bagnol

Bagnol

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents - I'm not getting any errors in a fresh project with U5.3.4f1 and Corgi v2.1.

32. reuno

reuno

@Bagnol > Thanks, that's reassuring :)
    A few tips when using the asset / upgrading :
    - first of all you should try never to modify the original scripts, but instead extend the classes, that makes upgrading much easier
    - backup your project before upgrading
    - remove all the old scripts when you upgrade (in the case of 2.1, all your prefabs should keep working, except for the moving platforms that will to be manually upgraded to the new system (see video above in this thread)
    - if you have directly modified scripts from an older version, you'll need to manually update them (mostly pointing them to new namespaces)
    - if that doesn't do the trick, let me know and I'll help

luigi7 and Bagnol like this.
  33. LoDx

LoDx

Hi,
    Thanks.
    After looking into v2.1 folders/structures/files...I just managed to fixed the errors.
    The folder 'helpers' no longer exist in v2.1 . I guess it has been merged/replace by other files.

For ppl getting the errors same like mine :-
    Solution :- move the 'MMAnimator.cs' file to CorgiEngine -> Common -> Scripts -> MMTools
    *There are some folders restructured in v2.1

and those same like Cereal_Killer :-
    Solution :- Remove CorgiTools.cs ( make a backup copy of the file, just in case)
    *In v2.1 , the file 'CorgiTools.cs' no longer exist ( my guess that it's replaced by other file)

Thanks

34. reuno

reuno

@LoDx > Glad you fixed the errors.
    To expand on that :
    As I said you should remove the old Scripts folder, unless you've made changes to them.
    The Helpers, most notably, are now all restructured in the MMTools folder, under different classes sometimes. For example everything that was in CorgiTools.cs is now in a few MM* classes, to make them easier to read.
    So if you had for example CorgiTools.DebugLogTime("something") in your code, just replace that with MMDebug.DebugLogTime("something"), and you're good to go.
    But how can I know where the new function is, you may ask. That's a very good question.
    If you're using MonoDevelop, remove the "CorgiTools." part in your code, right click on DebugLogTime, click Resolve, and it'll find the right path for you. I'm sure other IDEs have similar tools.

35. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hello reuno,
    you forgot to disable camera effect on your Android demo (as each release ;) ) and the frame rate and performance are really low...
    Could you add a preprocessor directive to disable camera effects when compiling for mobile ?
    A demo so slow is not a good advertisement :)

36. reuno

reuno

@matteo.piccioni > Every damn time!
    I tested it only on my Nexus 5X this time, and it runs smoothly, but you're right it's not good.
    I'll add a test for that, that's a great idea.
    Thanks for reporting this!

37. FranticThumbs

FranticThumbs

Hey Reuno
    Im just looking for something easy to use to help make some cracking platform games and came across your engine. I have one question - is it suitable for Isometric style games if I adjust the camera?

38. reuno

reuno

@Jigglybean > the engine supports both 2D and 3D (well, 2.5D) levels, and isn't impacted by the camera, so yes, absolutely no problem. It's actually a good idea for the next demo scene :)

FranticThumbs likes this.
  39. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

I have to say after playing around more with the new 2.1 I am safe to say (again) it's an epic upgrade.

I did spot something: this also is true in previous versions of corgi (at least here)
    Once you are not crouching anymore the walk speed is not reset. Not sure if this is ever reported but here goes.

My fix for this is: an extra check for if the character previously crouched( BehaviorState.CrouchingPreviously) if the BehaviorState.Crouching is false

I assume thats the correct place/way to do so as otherwise the run speed would never invoke. The fix is her at line 64

Cheers

Code (CSharp):
    2. /// <summary>
    3.         /// Called at Update(), handles vertical movement
    4.         /// </summary>
    5.         protected virtual void VerticalMovement ()
    6.         {
    8.             // Looking up
    9.             if ((_verticalMove > 0) && (_controller.State.IsGrounded)) {
    10.                 BehaviorState.LookingUp = true;
    11.                 if (_sceneCamera != null) {
    12.                     _sceneCamera.LookUp ();
    13.                 }
    14.             } else {
    15.                 BehaviorState.LookingUp = false;
    16.                 if (_sceneCamera != null) {
    17.                     _sceneCamera.ResetLookUpDown ();
    18.                 }
    19.             }
    21.             // Manages the ground touching effect
    22.             if (_controller.State.JustGotGrounded) {
    23.                 if (TouchTheGroundEffect != null) {
    24.                     Instantiate (TouchTheGroundEffect, _controller.BottomPosition, transform.rotation);
    25.                 }
    26.             }
    28.             // if the character is not in a position where it can move freely, we do nothing.
    29.             if (!BehaviorState.CanMoveFreely)
    30.                 return;
    32.             // Crouch Detection : if the player is pressing "down" and if the character is grounded and the crouch action is enabled
    33.             if ((_verticalMove < -0.1) && (_controller.State.IsGrounded) && (Permissions.CrouchEnabled)) {
    34.                 BehaviorState.Crouching = true;
    35.                 BehaviorParameters.MovementSpeed = BehaviorParameters.CrouchSpeed;
    36.                 BehaviorState.Running = false;
    37.                 if (_sceneCamera != null) {
    38.                     _sceneCamera.LookDown ();        
    39.                 }
    40.             } else {
    41.                 // if the character is currently crouching, we'll check if it's in a tunnel
    42.                 if (BehaviorState.Crouching) {
    43.                     if (HeadCollider == null) {
    44.                         BehaviorState.Crouching = false;
    45.                         return;
    46.                     }
    47.                     bool headCheck = Physics2D.OverlapCircle (HeadCollider.transform.position, HeadCollider.size.x / 2, _controller.PlatformMask);        
    48.                     // if the character is not crouched anymore, we set
    49.                     if (!headCheck) {
    50.                         if (!BehaviorState.Running) {
    52.                             BehaviorParameters.MovementSpeed = BehaviorParameters.WalkSpeed;
    53.                         }
    54.                         BehaviorState.Crouching = false;
    55.                         BehaviorState.CanJump = true;
    57.                     } else {
    59.                         BehaviorState.CanJump = false;
    60.                     }
    61.                 } else {
    62.                     ///Added by 0==0
    63.                     /// Fixes a bug that when the player crouches, the walk speed was not reset.
    64.                     if (BehaviorState.CrouchingPreviously) {
    66.                         BehaviorParameters.MovementSpeed = BehaviorParameters.WalkSpeed;
    67.                     }
    68.                 }
    69.             }
    71.             if (BehaviorState.CrouchingPreviously != BehaviorState.Crouching) {
    72.                 Invoke ("RecalculateRays", Time.deltaTime * 10);    
    73.             }
    74.             BehaviorState.CrouchingPreviously = BehaviorState.Crouching;
    76.         }

40. reuno

reuno

@zero_equals_zero > That's a very good point. I'll fix that in the next upgrade.
    That's as good a place as any to fix it as far as I can tell :)

41. FranticThumbs

FranticThumbs

Cool. If there is currently a way to set isometric in the corgi engine, can you explain how? Once I finish up on my current stuff, I will be ready to purchase the engine at the end of this month and want to hit the ground running, especially as my c# skills are novice but can follow tutorials lol(who cant?!)

42. reuno

reuno

@Jigglybean > Open the 3D demo scene, select the camera, in the inspector change "perspective" to "orthogonal". Reposition camera as you like.

FranticThumbs likes this.
  43. mimminito

mimminito

@reuno The latest update is fantastic! Thanks for again proving such a great asset. We are sure to use a couple of the new features you have added in :)

I have a couple of things I'd like to see in a future update:
    1. Make all "effects" and "audio clips" optional. Right now we are extending the classes to support this, but by default it would be nice if they were optional.
    2. Extract the audio playback into their own methods. For example would like to customise the jump audio playback based on single/double jumps. Right now its possible but a bit of a pain. A "PlayJumpAudio" method would be great, and the same for other audio effects. This lets us customise them that little bit more.
    3. Spine example :) I know you have expressed your views on this in the past, but it would be great to see a controller setup by you, so we can see how you envision it working with the spine runtimes.
    Thanks again.

Bagnol likes this.
  44. reuno

reuno

@mimminito > These are good suggestions. My comments :
    1. Correct me if I'm wrong but audio effects are optional already. You can just leave them blank and nothing will happen. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean.
    2. That's a very good idea.
    3. I'd love to, but again the Spine licence prevents me to do that as I would. I guess I could ask people to add the runtimes themselves, but the sum of questions I'd get about it is already giving me a headache. Hopefully Spine will change their views on that soon.

Bagnol likes this.
  45. mimminito

mimminito

1) Your right, audio is optional right now, so just effects then.
    2) Awesome :)
    3) If you do have something available, can we talk in private about getting access to it? We can proven we have spine etc.

46. reuno

reuno

@mimminito > I don't have anything properly packaged right now, or that I could show, but I'll think about it.

mimminito likes this.
  47. mimminito

mimminito

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

48. aaaaabbbbb

aaaaabbbbb

Hi Reuno

without any suspect this tool is the best.ok.

i purchased this asset 2 months ago.but i did not do anything.because this asset is so big and it is trying to do everything for a platform game.

to me when it is getting bigger it is getting much more trouble.because the controlling is getting harder.

i have been thinking for 2 months and i have finally found what is wrong for me.

Reuno , you are a great developer and really supportive person.

if you can do a inspector panel and if i put my character into this panel on the top and the animations i select for this character in a list.

and this asset assigns mobile buttons to the animations automatically.

this would be great and more simple.because i do not want to deal with controller objects.

i do not know maybe this is impossible.but this would be amazing.

anyway i just said my opinion and i keep thinking and diving into this asset more deeply.

Thanks Reuno

49. reuno

reuno

aaaaabbbbb > that sure sounds like a cool feature. I'm not exactly sure how or if this could work in real life though :)
    I completely agree with you on the bigger > harder part. That's also the main reason why I don't add everything people ask for, the asset would quickly become unusable. And I keep making things easier as the asset ages (I think the new moving platforms are as simple as can be, and certainly an improvement over the old ones). So yeah, I keep that in mind, and if I find a way to simplify the character creation, rest assured, I'll implement it.

50. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Another thing I've noticed. Not sure if this is intended.

When Crouching, the box collider doesn't change: this causes so that the character can't move under low objects.
    Take for example mesa 1: There is this lower positioned block somewhere in the middle.
    I can't walk under it. The BoxCollider prevents this I guess:
    Using the standard corgi sprite-sheet prefab. If you check the scene view you can see the box collider is preventing the crouch. The character has the headCollider set.

I've tried a couple of things but the results aren't very clean. (for example: if i change the box collider so the character fits underneath a block, the movement is very sluggish)

Any idea.How to fix this please? (my bad if this is all ready asked)
    Cheers

mimminito likes this.