Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@Bagnol > I've fixed the jetpacking from a moving platform bug. Thank you and @zero_equals_zero for spotting it and reporting it in such details, really helped pinpoint what was wrong. The fix will be included in the next release.

zero_equals_zero and Bagnol like this.
  2. Bagnol

Bagnol

@reuno > Sounds good - does that mean the inability to jump from the platform was fixed too? I'm assuming they both stem from the same base problem.

3. reuno

reuno

@Bagnol > I had already fixed the jump thing a few weeks back. I just had to replicate it into the Jetpack script. Same base problem indeed :)

Bagnol likes this.
  4. Bagnol

Bagnol

Good to hear, @reuno. Keep up the great work! :)

5. heerok7

heerok7

@MudPuppet So I'm a little new to Unity and exactly how it works. But tweaking the engine itself is easier. Although, I will want to learn how to override because as Reuno and Zero said the changes will be gone if I update. Fortunately, for now the engine has most of what i want so for now ill tweak it.

As for your question on lives it's more simple than i thought. just create a lives integer. In your level manager class or game manager. I did mine in the level manager to persist from level to level. Set your lives in the inspector or the awake method. then in the killPlayer method you decrease the amount of lives. that should be the basics of what you need!

JeffSLG likes this.
  6. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, cool thanks for the info. I only decided to get into Unity more about 3 months ago (although I have had my eye on it and tinkered occasionally since it came out). Yeah I tend to do it all in my own scripts but when that fails I tend to also try and do it in the engine to see if I can get it to work there. Most of the time I am more than likely putting my code into the wrong engine scripts. Once I get something working there I can then look at extending classes and possibly overriding some things to get my solutions back into my own scripts. Strangely enough I only really need to sort a Life Manager and the Quest Manager and that's two big hurdles out of the way that are holding up production.

7. kmasgrande

kmasgrande

So I'm loving the engine but find it has quite a few elements that are unnecessary for my title (stuff like the jetpack and the player having weapons and a couple other things). What is my best practice for stripping out these elements that I'm certain I won't need, so I can keep the code as lean as possible for my own edits & additions? (and maybe more importantly, how much performance boost would I get from doing that?)

8. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello Kmasgrande, you can select the 'Playable Character' Prefab and in the Inspector, in the Character Behaviour script part, you can enable or disable all of the stuff like run, jump, jetpack, melee attack etc. If you aren't wanting to use certain 'aspects' you just untick them and remove any other associated scripts. i.e.: If you disable the 'Shoot' function you don't need the Character Shoot script on the Playable Character. I am not an expert but I find it highly unlikely that the unused code in the Character Behaviour script (or associate scripts) would cause any performance bottlenecks - in fact the Character Behaviour script is only 33kb. Sorry I can't give any better info as my own game dev experience predates software like Unity so I am unsure of overheads in that side of things.

kmasgrande likes this.
  9. reuno

reuno

@kmasgrande > As @MudPuppet wrote, you can just remove the scripts you don't use from your prefabs. You can also remove them from your project altogether if you want, though this won't change anything in terms of performance or build size. It might make it easier to navigate your Scripts folder though if you find it too crowded now :)
    As for pure performance, removing the jetpack for example won't have any impact, apart from the fact you won't be able to jetpack your way through the levels :) All it will do is remove a gameobject and a (most of the time inactive) particle emitter, so in terms of FPS that should be unnoticeable.

kmasgrande likes this.
  10. kmasgrande

kmasgrande

@reuno @MudPuppet -- Thanks! I'll probably still clear some stuff out to make it less crowded but its nice to know that I don't have to worry about performance for things I leave in. Very excited for the new release!

Had anyone had success getting the engine to work in conjunction with ProCamera2D?

11. magique

magique

I currently own the Complete Physics Platformer, but am in need of much more functionality. So, I'm currently torn between Corgi and Platformer Pro. One of the things I really need to have is rope swinging and Platformer Pro has that, but it's only a vague future item in Corgi. Is there any timeline for ropes implementation? Also, any other reasons why I should choose Corgi over Platformer Pro? Give me your best sales pitch because I will need to make a decision very soon. And thanks.

12. reuno

reuno

I won't give you "my best sales pitch". You can find more info about the asset over there : http://www.moremountains.com/corgi-engine-best-unity-2d-platformer

I don't care about other assets, or explaining why mine is better. I focus on creating stuff, not selling it :)
    And as explained in the FAQ, I won't give deadlines, ropes will be released when they're done.

13. magique

magique

Wow. Well, that just made my decision easier. I'll be getting Platformer Pro. Have a nice day.

14. reuno

reuno

If you need a "sales pitch" to get an asset, you're probably doing something wrong. Anyway, good luck with your game, and a nice day to you too :)

15. magique

magique

If you are selling something but are only interested in creating stuff, but not selling it then you probably shouldn't be selling it. As far as a sales pitch goes, it's just your chance to tell me what I might not be able to glean from the asset store information, docs, faqs, or videos. You should know your competition and know where you are weaker or stronger and be able to tell me that. But since you weren't even interested in trying, that's a good sign that I probably won't get any support from you either.

16. reuno

reuno

@magique > Ok, maybe that was a bit rough.
    I guess my best sales pitch are the reviews on the Asset's page then :
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26617
    And you'd get support, as you'll see if you go through these reviews.

I just can't tell you how it's better than asset X, I honestly have no idea, and really don't care. I put my best into it, and that best comes from years of experience working in the industry. I focus on creating new stuff and helping customers instead. I looked at the "competition" at first, and really wasn't impressed. I haven't looked back since. And from what people who've bought the asset tell me, I'm not missing much.

Damn you're good, you made me do a sales pitch.
    But again, buy whatever asset makes you happy :)

17. magique

magique

Well thanks for giving it an effort. It's not as easy to choose as you might think. Both your engine and Platformer Pro both have 5 star ratings and Platformer Pro actually has quite a bit more people who rated it. Looking at the videos, yours actually looks to be the best, but the missing rope functionality is really getting me. It was going to be a big feature in the game and I don't feel like coding it myself and not sure I want to drop the feature either. I'll have to really think about it some more.

18. reuno

reuno

I guess I could tell you that ropes are in the next update. They're almost ready, I'm bugfixing them right now, and will only include them in the update if they're working perfectly, otherwise it'll wait. The reason why I don't give deadlines or estimates is that then people get all excited and may be (rightly) disappointed. But I just refuse to release something I haven't tested properly. And that by nature takes time and is hard to predict. If that's a big feature for you then go ahead and buy another asset, that's probably the safe choice. Out of curiosity, what are you looking for in a platformer rope system ?

19. magique

magique

I'd mainly like to see something like you get in Pitfall the Mayan Adventure where the rope is gently swinging back and forth and you must jump at the right time to grab it and swing back and forth before releasing to get to the other side. However, I'd also like to see stationary rope/vine climb and possibly even the sliding down a rope feature as well from the same game. You can see all these features in the following video starting around 1:11.

That being said, the swinging rope feature is the show stopper for me right now.

20. reuno

reuno

Wow I loved that game. Hadn't seen anything from it since I played it when it came out. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Ok so the swinging ropes I'm working on. The stationary ones are already in the asset (they're just ladders basically). And sliding down the rope would just be a different animation, so it's not really something I can include in the engine I guess.

21. magique

magique

Yeah, I love that game too. I actually still have it on my old Atari Jaguar system. Thanks for the info on the swinging ropes being in the next update.

Sending you a PM.

22. magique

magique

In an asset store review someone was asking about a 3D tutorial and at that time there wasn't 3D support, but you stated the following:

"So that's the reason why there's no tutorial on the subject right now. But rejoice, 3D is the focus of the next update, and there'll be a tutorial for that too, as for all the other features :)"

So, I'm curious if there is a tutorial for this available? I looked at the youtube videos and didn't see anything, but maybe I missed it.

23. reuno

reuno

Nope, no 3D tutorial, as there's no real need for it, 3D uses exactly the same classes and processes as 2D.
    Oh and there's a complete demo 3D level.

Edit : plural is hard.

24. magique

magique

OK, thanks.

25. magique

magique

I downloaded the PC demo build and it doesn't seem to run. It starts up and I see the More Mountains logo and then the Corgi Engine splash screen shows. After that I wait and wait, but nothing ever happens. And there aren't any crashes or errors. It even lets me gracefully click to close the window, but the demo never starts no matter how long I wait. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit with 8GB RAM.

Here is the output log:

Initialize engine version: 5.3.1p1 (7d3d8e90548b)
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    Direct3D:
    Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (ID=0xfc1)
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    VRAM: 1990 MB
    Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
    Platform assembly: C:\corgi-engine-pc\corgi-engine-pc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\corgi-engine-pc\corgi-engine-pc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\corgi-engine-pc\corgi-engine-pc_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\corgi-engine-pc\corgi-engine-pc_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\corgi-engine-pc\corgi-engine-pc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\corgi-engine-pc\corgi-engine-pc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\corgi-engine-pc\corgi-engine-pc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\corgi-engine-pc\corgi-engine-pc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
    - Completed reload, in 0.062 seconds
    Platform assembly: C:\corgi-engine-pc\corgi-engine-pc_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: C:\corgi-engine-pc\corgi-engine-pc_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
    desktop: 1920x1200 59Hz; virtual: 3200x1200 at 0,0
    <RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

<RI> Initialized touch support.

UnloadTime: 0.782235 ms
    Unloading 6 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
    UnloadTime: 5.437668 ms

Unloading 5 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 536.
    Total: 0.648441 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.049616 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.042773 ms MarkObjects: 0.544074 ms DeleteObjects: 0.011292 ms)

EDIT: Nevermind. I just bought the asset and don't need to run the demo anymore.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  26. magique

magique

Where can I get the demo 3D level? I went ahead and bought the asset and installed in a clean project, but I don't see any 3D demo scene in there.

27. Bagnol

Bagnol

@magique I assume @reuno was maybe referring to the 2.5D demo, that uses 3D models but operates on a 2D plane.

28. magique

magique

Yes, I realize that and that's what I meant. I don't see that demo anywhere. It wasn't in the download package as far as I can tell. I even did a filter on all scenes found in the project and there was nothing. What is it called?

29. Bagnol

Bagnol

My apologies @magique, I didn't mean to imply you didn't know what it was. Is your Unity installation up to date? There was a bit of talk on page 25 of this thread that points out that it doesn't download the latest version of Corgi Engine unless it's updated. I'm assuming that's your problem since the demo level I believe is simply named "3D Level" or something along those lines, and it should just be in the scenes folder.

30. magique

magique

I kind of suspected this might be the case. I am on Unity 5.2.4. However, I cannot update to a newer version because this is the only version available for Wii U development. Although, I suppose I could download the package using the public Unity 5.3 and then copy over to my project. I will give that a try.

31. reuno

reuno

@magique > Regarding the demo and the startscreen, have you tried pressing space (or A on your gamepad) ? Because if you don't you can wait a long time.
    As for the 3D (well, 2.5D) demo level, it's called 3D Level, it's with all the other scenes.
    And the latest version of the engine (which includes the 3D level) requires at least 5.3.1.
    You can try putting it in 5.2.4 but be aware you'll probably get errors. There's a reason there are requirements :)

32. magique

magique

The asset page states:

Did I miss something?

33. reuno

reuno

As I said, you need 5.3.1 (or more) if you want the latest version of the engine.
    5.2.0 gets you legacy version. Doesn't include 3D.

34. magique

magique

Yes, I see you are saying that here, but the asset page doesn't say that. So, according to the asset page, the only mention of 5.3 is that it was submitted for improved compatibility. I don't mean to sound harsh, but don't you think that there's a problem with that? I bought this for the 3D only at this point and now I can't even use it.

35. reuno

reuno

@magique > Ok, I'm sorry you're disappointed with your purchase. Send me your invoice number on the support email and I'll refund you. Sadly there's not much I can do. I'm not responsible with how Unity displays version requirements on their store.

36. DeanMarquette

DeanMarquette

Hi, there was a character selection scene on the demo but its not in the asset. Can you add it please?

37. reuno

reuno

@DeanMarquette > Hmm no, there never was a character selection scene. There was a startscreen that showed all characters a while back (prior to v2.0) but it was just a startscreen, you couldn't actually select a character. It's on the todo list though, so it's coming. If you go back a few messages back on this very thread, it was discussed how you could implement one in the meantime.

38. Shiphtur

Shiphtur

when the next update will be?

39. reuno

reuno

@Shiphtur > I usually don't give deadlines, I release new versions when they're thoroughly tested, and by definition I can't predict when that's done :)
    But I'm hard at work on it right now, adding a lot of fun stuff, and hopefully it'll be live within the next month (or sooner).

KeepTrying likes this.
  40. Shiphtur

Shiphtur

cool sounds fun .. thanks and make corgi great again ;D <3

41. reuno

reuno

@Shiphtur > You're welcome.
    Starting next week I'll post a few videos/gifs of the new features. Can't wait to share it all :)

KeepTrying likes this.
  42. DeanMarquette

DeanMarquette

Okay, I must have been thinking about the start screen. No problem though I just finished creating one.

43. reuno

reuno

You'll be happy to know this will be in the next version. I've added really powerful surface modifiers, which opens a lot of new possibilities, and they're very fun to play with. You'll also be happy to learn that I've added button activation to portals and stuff (basically anything can now button activated), so you'll be able to create doors and the like, I think you suggested that too. It's your lucky day :)

@DeanMarquette > Good job :)

KeepTrying likes this.
  44. Shiphtur

Shiphtur

lol omg that's will be epiiiiic ... hope for you the best x) take your time and add everything u can do lol

KeepTrying likes this.
  45. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hehe, sooooo awesome! I was supposed to have posted another idea but got hung up on the lives thing - although thanks to heerok7 I at least have something working now. Keep up the great work, you are doing one awesome job.

46. zwickarr

zwickarr

Did you add the ability to shoot switches to open doors? Think classic Metroid where you shoot doors open.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  47. reuno

reuno

@zwickarr > Not yet, but now it's on the list :)

KeepTrying likes this.
  48. jaelove

jaelove

love the asset man. I wanted to know if you're still working on the beat em up asset?

49. reuno

reuno

Yes, ETA less than a month if all goes well.

greg725 likes this.
  50. jaelove

jaelove

Wow color me super excited I have my money ready:)