Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

I'm glad to announce the release of :
    the best 2D + 2.5D platformer solution on the Asset Store

The Corgi Engine is a Unity 2D + 2.5D Platformer Kit.
    It's a very fast, single or local multiplayer non-physics based engine, packed with features, described below. It's mobile friendly, works well with other assets, and is basically everything you need to start creating your own 2D game right now.

Check out its website for a full list of features, demos, and more!

List of features :

PLAYER MOVEMENT

The character controller is easy to control and tweak via the inspector. For those of you wondering, the Player/platforms collision detection is made using raycasts, it's not a physics based engine, although you can mix some physics with it, as you can see in the demo (the crates for example).

• walk left or right
    • walk on slopes
    • orient your character depending on the slope angle
    • dangle at the edge of platforms
    • compatible with all kinds of 2D colliders (box, circles, polygons, etc...)
    • run
    • look up
    • crouch and crawl
    • jump (proportional to the button press time or not, with fall and ascent speed multipliers)
    • customizable jump time windows after a fall
    • double jump (or any number of jumps you want)
    • wall jump
    • wall slide
    • jump down from platforms
    • horizontal dash
    • vertical dash which smashes the ground and shakes the camera
    • jetpack (along with particle effects)
    • climb ladders (regular or bidirectional ones)
    • shoot weapons
    • melee attacks
    • grab ropes
    PLAYER ANIMATIONS

For each of the player's feature, you'll find a dedicated animation. The Corgi Engine uses Mecanim's powerful state machine and blend trees so you can easily replace our little corgi with your own character and animate it. The asset includes spritesheets animations, animated meshes and Spine powered animations. And of course the engine can work with any animation mode you prefer.

MULTIPLAYER

Since v3.0, the Corgi Engine supports local multiplayer. Create coop or versus games super easily!

DEMO LEVELS

The asset comes complete with more than more than 30 demo levels, a splash screen, a start screen, and a loading screen so you can understand how to link your GUI screens and levels together.

GRAVITY

Since v4.2, the Corgi Engine allows you to set a specific gravity direction, per character. Unique to the Corgi Engine, this feature opens a whole world of possibilities. Whether it's constant altered gravity, or only in specific zones, or around certain points, the choice is yours. And it's not just "reversed gravity", it's free, 360°, and entirely up to you.

Most features of the engine will keep working in altered gravity, from weapons to jumpers, so you can now turn your world around however you want.

ENEMIES AND FRIENDS

• The demo levels include a bunch of enemies, complete with basic AI, health levels, movement animations and death effects.
    • the blue robot : this mean dude walks from left to right on slopes or even terrain, and shoots at the player as soon as it sees him.
    • the cactus : don't touch his spikes!
    • the blue round thingy : don't touch his spikes either!
    • the buzzsaw : rotating and moving danger
    • new in v1.5the blob : it looks friendly but it will hurt you if you touch it. You'd better jump on it!
    • the green corgi : this little dude will follow you everywhere
    • the dude : he doesn't do much, he just walks around
    • the heavy corgi : he sure has one big armor

WEAPONS

• multiple weapons : machine gun, rocket launcher, build anything you want
    • melee weapons : the asset now comes with a melee weapon system!
    • multi-directional shot : you can choose between a straight shots system , 8-ways shots, or free 360° shots
    • powerful controls : you can aim via the primary or secondary direction stick, or use the mouse to aim
    • upgradable weapons : gather weapon upgrades to improve your gun
    • laser sight : add a laser to your weapon to make each shot easier!
    • crosshair : display a crosshair on screen to never miss a target

COLLECTIBLE ITEMS

• coins : the asset includes a simple yet powerful points system. Gather coins to earn points!
    • stimpacks : grab these little buddies to get health back after getting hurt by an enemy.
    • weapon upgrades : get a hold of these to improve your gun!
    • bullet time collectible : grab these beauties and slow down time for a while.

INVENTORY ENGINE

The Corgi Engine comes with the Inventory Engine, More Mountains' dedicated solution for inventory management.
    • Inventories : Create and manage as many inventories as you want
    • Save and load : save and load your inventories' contents from scene to scene or game session to the next
    • Items : Create items, from collectibles, usable or equippable items, the only limit is your imagination
    • Ammo management : store different types of ammo in your inventory and consume it everytime you use a weapon
    • Easy to setup : the Inventory Engine is easy to use and will allow you to customize and extend everything!
    • Key and chest new in v4.1 : create keys to unlock doors, chests, and pretty much everything you want with a new and super flexible system.

HELPERS

• Smooth camera : a smooth camera that auto centers on the player, follows it, zooms in and out depending on the player's speed, easy to tweak via the inspector. You can configure its speed, damping, etc...
    • Pixel perfect camera : simple pixel perfect implementation as an option for your camera
    • Parallax management : turn any object into a parallax object, and configure its behavior via the inspector (speed, direction, etc..)
    • Achievements : a simple yet powerful achievements system, complete with achievements display, allowing for the implementation of any kind of achievements, simple unlockables or progress based ones. Complete with popup display, and easily to plug to any platform dependent achievements API.
    • Level stuff : this includes going from one level to the next, checkpoints inside a level, basic main menu
    • One way levels new in v4.1 : just like in Mario games for example, optionnally prevent the player from going back where it came from, locking the camera and the player movements as it goes. You can even do that on all four axis, creating top to bottom levels for example.
    • Sound Management : Play music or sfx separately, complete with volume adjustments and options to turn music and/or sfx down entirely. The asset comes with some (awesome) background music, and a few (less awesome) Sfx for the main character, and you can of course add your own!
    • Scene management : the asset now takes care of scene and assets loading for you, you can focus on your gameplay
    • Progress management : save and load the player's progress throught the game easily. The engine comes with an example of how to save achievements, inventories, lives, unlocked levels and collected stars, and it's easy to extend it to save and load your own specific stuff.
    • Tilemap : the engine is compatible with Unity's Tilemap system, and comes with a complete demo of it, along with 3 different environments.
    • Tons of helpers : the asset also includes and uses a lot of smaller classes, stuff like FPS counters, health bars, debug drawers, fancy inspector stuff, math classes, that you can use and reuse in your games.

ENVIRONMENT

• The asset includes 10+ different environments : the mesa, the mountains, the lava world, a pixellated, tile based level, the minimal prototype set, a 3D level, the Super Hipster Bros demo, the BroBro level, and more...
    • easily set up parallax and camera-following backgrounds
    • moving platforms
    • one-way or both-ways platforms and slopes (moving or not)
    • jumpers
    • falling platforms (or elevators or whatever you want)
    • cannons that shoot destructible missiles on a guided path
    • destructible crates
    • trees that move procedurally
    • mountains
    • timed auto respawn
    • tons of default platforms
    • ladders, regular or bidirectional
    • possibility to disable physics
    • water
    • wind
    • special wall surfaces
    • and more...

DOCUMENTATION

The asset includes a complete documentation for all classes, plus each class is heavily commented, so it's very easy to understand and improve on as long as you have basic Unity understanding. If you don't want to get into code, there's still a lot you can do in the inspector or simply by replacing assets! It's now super fast to create your own game!

DIALOGUES

new in v1.5 You can now add dialogues to your game. Add and customize dialogue zones, that will trigger dialogue boxes when entered. You can customize the color of the background and text, you can change the font, make it a tooltip or a speech bubble, decide if it's button handled or automatic, how long it remains on screen, and tons more.

MOBILE FRIENDLY

You can use this asset to create games that run on anything you like. The asset comes with input management and preconfigured controls for keyboard, xbox360 pad, and mobile (iOS or android - and probably anything with a touchscreen). You can enable or disable mobile inputs easily via the Unity editor.
    Note that the asset includes demo controls based on Unity's standard assets cross platform inputs, for demo purposes. Feel free to replace them with better ones.
    Check out the Android demo on Google Play, or the iOS demo on the App Store.

TIME MANAGEMENT

You can now control time! The game comes with a pause system and methods to speed up or slow down time!

PARTICLES

The asset comes with a lot of particle effects that work great in 2D, such as jetpack flames, projectiles, explosions, etc... Use them as they are in your own game, or customize them by tweaking their parameters and materials.

SPINE

new in v1.5 The Corgi Engine is fully compatible with Esoteric Software's amazing animation software Spine. Since v1.5, the asset includes many Spine powered characters. Feel free to add your own!

NEW GUI

The asset uses the new GUI system introduced with Unity 4.6 to display the avatar and healthbar, and even the mobile controls. It's easier to use and customize, and works well on all screen sizes. And v1.5 comes with new GUI features such as fade transitions, dialogues and tooltips.

Legal restrictions : all music files included in this asset are © Uniform Motion and for demo purposes only, you can't reuse them. All characters are © Renaud Forestié, meant as placeholders only and can't be used in any commercial way. The rest of the asset can be used any way you want once purchased.

Want more? Check out this video tutorial by Unity themselves about the Corgi Engine :

https://unity3d.com/fr/learn/tutori...d-character-setup-corgi-engine?playlist=17093

Please use this thread if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help. I hope you'll like it!

Get it now on the Asset Store!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Devhog, AlanOToole, Gozdek and 7 others like this.
  2. AGregori

AGregori

Gorgeous 2D engine!

3. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

4. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

How well does it work with mobile platforms?

5. MrGky93

MrGky93

6. reuno

reuno

7. kilik128

kilik128

we can see controler 2d component for know what's value can change easy
    and the mecanim state machine for maybie use 3d caracther
    this projet look more like game already polish any feature stay in make ? any list you want adding

8. reuno

reuno

kilik128 > Well I'll definitely keep working on it.
    I have a few ideas, I think I'll start by adding mobile controls, as it's been requested quite a few times already.
    Apart from that, really, it's up to you guys. What do you think I should add ?

9. AGregori

AGregori

Corgi Engine is a cool new engine, but of course it's facing tough competition from assets like Advanced 2D Engine or Advanced 2.5D Engine. Perhaps you could add specialized features to gain the upper hand. Melee system? Inventory? Dialogues?

Also, platformer/adventure crossover games are on the rise: perhaps you could work with Pixel Crushers to have Dialogue System integration in your engine.

10. reuno

reuno

I think dialogues are a really good idea. I've added that to my todo list :)

11. eridani

eridani

Melee system would be cool... also, switching weapons

12. kilik128

kilik128

13. reuno

reuno

eridani > I think adding a melee weapon would be pretty easy to do, if I do it ala Broforce for example. Basically you hit another button, and you hit with a knife (or whatever) in a short area in front of you. Switching weapons isn't hard to code, but with the way the sprite is built (ie, the weapon is a part of the player), that seems harder without breaking everything. But changing the bullets type can be easily done.

kilik > If you're talking about the rayman slope thing (walking/running on vertical walls), that would mean quite a lot of changes. Not sure how to add that yet.

14. eridani

eridani

What about swapping out the whole sprite with each weapon switch (for example a sprite with the character holding a gun , a sprite with the character holding a sword, etc).

15. reuno

reuno

eridani > That's also a solution, and it's quite easy to do. However, that would mean loading twice as many spritesheets for the player (or more if you want more than 2 weapons).

16. reuno

reuno

Hey, would you guys be interested in a multiplayer option ? Basically the same game engine, but you can play like 1vs1 (for a start) ? What price would you deem acceptable for that ?

jakefleming and LoDx like this.
  17. reuno

reuno

Great news you guys, I've just submitted the 1.1 update, which adds mobile inputs to the game.
    I have tested it on a few devices, and I have to say even I am surprised by how fast it runs (considering the fact that the demo levels are made of huge textures). It's obviously a bit packed with controls and I would suggest you limit yourself to a few buttons on screen, but hey, that's up to you !

I'll post a video of it in the coming days, and hopefully the 1.1 version will be validated soon so you can all play with it on your own mobile devices.

AGregori likes this.
  18. AGregori

AGregori

That's a nice feature, even if 1vs1 is basically a staple with freeware platformers these days.
    For that reason I for one would be more excited about crossover extensibility: adventure or even RPG features.

19. eridani

eridani

RPG features would be cool and would set this kit apart, making it a lot more versatile.

20. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Can you add as update to this Asset(Corgi Engine):
    - Ledge Hang
    - Climb
    - Ropes

that will be nice..

21. reuno

reuno

I've added the possibility to jump down a one-way platform.
    Coming next : weapon upgrades.
    eridani, Mr. Stein > I've added your suggestions to the todo list, thanks!

eridani and Mr-Stein like this.
  22. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

23. sefou

sefou

Hi reuno,

can you add this feature : player fire in 8 directions ?

Thanks

Mr-Stein and eridani like this.
  24. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

if you add all this feature and make the documentation for learn as a tutorial i think you can elevate the cost of the asset @reuno...
    the kit now is very good.. but adding all this will be the great kit for 2d platform =)

25. reuno

reuno

Thanks for the suggestions, here's my current todo list (more or less in that order) :

- mobile input and mobile optimizations (done, working great, and coming in the next upgrade)
    - jump down from platforms (done, coming in the next upgrade)
    - melee attacks
    - 8-way shot
    - collectible weapon upgrade
    - different weapons
    - ledge hang
    - climb
    - ropes
    - key and chest
    - water + swimming
    - wind
    - teleporter
    - pushable things

I'll try and go through this list in the coming days/weeks. If you want me to go faster, just buy the asset or give it a good review, that should help with my motivation :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  26. eridani

eridani

For the "8-way shot", if you are combining your asset with a mobile dual joystick setup, please make it an "Any direction shot" instead.

I understand 8-way if you are only targeting an up-down-left-right button scheme, but mobile joysticks can be aimed in any direction at all. So it would be nice to be able to shoot in any direction at all, not just in 8 directions.

Thank you!

27. LoDx

LoDx

28. reuno

reuno

@eridani > I'll add that to the list, thanks.
    @LoDx > I think, at least for the time being, I'll keep the Corgi Engine a pure platformer asset. I'm sure the 2 assets you point at can be added easily, and dedicated assets like that will do their work much better.

lorenalexm and eridani like this.
  29. eggnof

eggnof

Will this asset work for a 2.5D side scroller game? Specifically in a game where the characters are still 2D sprites, but the ground has some z-depth for the character to move a bit closer/farther from a camera. If not, can I modify the script to add z-movement without breaking it? Im assuming I'd need to change all 2D methods (collisions/ray casts ect) from 2D to regular and then should be fine?

30. reuno

reuno

@eggnof > I have to admit I haven't tried it, but yes, basically you have the right idea.
    You would also have to do some changes to the input's vertical axis as right now it's mapped to non-movement related stuff (looking up, crouching).
    But still, you should be able to reuse a lot of code.

eggnof likes this.
  31. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

and add an fuel Bar or fuel indicator for the jetpack, maybe?

eridani likes this.
  32. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

I was just wondering if its just me but when I run the the asset in the unity player while in android build it is lagging for some reason. It runs fine in the unity player for windows and mac though.

33. sefou

sefou

Hi reuno ,
    can you add : Playmaker support in your to do list.
    Thanks and Happy New Year to all. :)

34. reuno

reuno

@sefou > added!
    @John Sandrey > I don't have this issue. What happens though is if you build for android and test in the Unity Remote app, then it's pretty laggy. However, once you build it and run it properly on a device, then it's fine. Apparently it's a known issue.

35. reuno

reuno

Version 1.1 is live! It adds mobile input and jump down from one-way platforms.
    Coming next should be the weapons upgrade, which will include :
    - multi direction shooting
    - different weapons
    - melee weapon

AGregori likes this.
  36. AGregori

AGregori

Great update, but I feel Corgi still needs a WOW factor. :) Like a dialogue system and/or a quest system or something.
    But it's bound to become the best 2D kit out there.

37. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

I can build and run it on a mobile device just fine its just the unity player set to android build that has the issue. Never had that happen before and not sure why if i set the unity player to win or mac the player works fine.

38. reuno

reuno

@Gregorik > the dialogue system is definitely coming.
    @John Sandrey > That's weird, I can't reproduce it. Do you have the latest version of the asset, v1.1 ? On what version of Unity ?

39. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

yea have the latest 1.1 and the latest update for unity 4.6.1p2

40. reuno

reuno

@John Sandrey > Same Unity version here, and no problem. If more people mention this issue I might be able to reproduce it and correct it if indeed it's linked to the Corgi Engine itself and not some other asset / conf.

41. sefou

sefou

Work perfectly with my old Playsation pad. ;)

42. reuno

reuno

@sefou > Glad to hear it! Thanks for sharing that picture :)
    You'll be happy to know the 8-direction shooting is done.
    You'll have the following choices : straight (as it is right now), 8 direction, or free 360°.
    It'll be coming in the next update.

43. Jason-B

Jason-B

- Main Menu, Save/Load? Options/Background Music/Sound?
    - Is there sound?
    - Pause?
    - half way checkpoints
    - optional live system
    - enough coins gives extra life

If it had all this, I'd buy it.

44. reuno

reuno

@Jason B > Good points, made me think I had forgotten to mention a few points in the feature list, thanks!
    - There is sound support actually : you can play a sound when the player is hit, jumps, shoots, or anything you want. Note that the asset doesn't include any sound, you'll have to add your own, the corresponding code is commented right now, just un-comment it to have sound support (look for AudioSource lines in Player.cs). You can easily improve on that and add background music or whatever you want.
    - There are also checkpoints (you just have to drag and drop the prefab anywhere the level and it acts as a vertical line checkpoint, go beyond it and next time you die, you just raise back at the checkpoint. A level can have any number of checkpoints.
    - There's no option screen as I'm trying to keep the asset generic and an option screen in particular is very specific. The same goes for lives or "enough coins give extra life", this is specific, and the health system / coin system alreay implemented should allow you to add this kind of rules very easily.
    - No pause yet, but it's very easy to add, I'll add that to the next release. It's basically one line of code.

AGregori likes this.
  45. Jason-B

Jason-B

alright then, thank you!

46. Guitario

Guitario

Hey reuno,
    Im loving all the work you've done so far!

Maybe add gravity switching via button?

47. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

Corgi Engine is looking very polished right now, and the proposed to-do list sounds very promising as well!

As with @Guitario, I am interested to hear if the engine provides support for setting a gravity vector on a per object basis.

48. AGregori

AGregori

eridani likes this.
  49. reuno

reuno

@Gregorik > Thanks for the link, I'll look into it.

@Guitario , @lorenalexm >There's already a water prefab (not used in the demo levels because it's very ugly right now, but it works). It's actually at the root of the prefabs folder. It's just a trigger zone that has a script attached that changes any player parameter you want. That way you can easily change gravity or anything you want.
    You can also add different gravity/mass to other objects, that is handled by the rigidbody component and Unity's physics engine (look at the destructibleBlock prefab for example, if you set its gravity scale to -1, it'll go floating in the air, colliding with the platforms on its way).

50. yearofthewhopper

yearofthewhopper

I just downloaded this and it crashes Unity 6.4p2 every time I try to load any of the scenes! Please help! I know its something to do with this this scene as all other scenes work that I've created.