Search Unity

[RELEASED] Complete Physics Platformer Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Greg-Sergeant, Oct 2, 2013.

1. BioFan

BioFan

yes please :)

2. tequyla

tequyla

Hi,

What script is customized ? Playermove ?

++

3. Banksy

Banksy

Overview: What's the best approach to swap out the character with my character that already has many mecanim animations applied ??

Hi.. I would like to understand the best method of swapping the character over.

I have a character with several mecanim animations
    eg. Walk, Run, run angle left, run angle right turn on spot, jump, climb, push object , pick up object. punch, slash, Idle 1, Idle 2 , Idle 3, + random funny gestures.

So.. The standard character that came with the kit... Let's call him "Cubert" has a few mecanim animations & his rig is not the same as my character... my character probably won;t simply swap over.. yes ?

The only info I've found regarding swapping the characters over is from the developer...
    Quote:
    - parent the model to the players collision box
    - Apply the 'player animator' component to it
    - Apply 'animator' variable for PlayerMove and Throwing scripts
    - Change the animation references in the 'player animator' component "

I believe this would be true if you simply had a T-Posed character with no animations applied & only want to use the supplied base character animations .. yes ?

4. Wonkee

Wonkee

Open the PlayerController file/asset and for "run" "jump" "fall" et cetera, click them and then choose the new animation.

5. BioFan

BioFan

What do I need to change if I want the ladder climb animation to animate only if I press up and if I don't do anything, it will be "hanging" on to the ladder?

6. Besus

Besus

Create some bools in the animation controller and alternate setting them to true/false in the ladder script depending on if the player is moving or not. Alternatively, you could use the "Character Motor/Distance to Target" (float) to determine if the player is moving (which would also apply to vertical movement) but make sure to exclude grounded or else the controller will think that you are jumping when moving upwards at which point it would play the respective animation.

7. tequyla

tequyla

Hi,

What's up in next release ? The kit is dead?

++

8. Besus

Besus

Well it does do its job of being a "starter kit". But if Greg would be willing to work-out some profit-share situation, I would be willing to donate a lot of my added functionality. ;)

9. BioFan

BioFan

Thanks Besus, let me try that.

10. snowcult

snowcult

Besus, perhaps a separate add-on kit would be in order?

11. tequyla

tequyla

Hi,

It is important to know if theres are news updates or just bug fix, only.

+++

12. snowcult

snowcult

The kit is a really great foundation as it is. If there are any major bugs, especially in upcoming Unity versions, I'd hope the dev is going to update and fix those bugs. That said, any further expansion is mostly on the you. And the community in this thread, especially with the likes of Besus and DanielSnd and others, has been great.

13. BioFan

BioFan

I would so buy an add-on kit. If anyone want to do a real ladder-climb, rope grab and swing, ledge hang and climb, crouch and crawl and a powerup that change the character look for this kit. I would buy :) Oh and should work in 2.5D as well.
    I tried a few other kits, and to me this kit is still the BEST! So sad that Greg is not supporting it anymore. And will take me forever to add anything on my own.
    Well, alternatively, I wouldn't mind paying someone to do it, as long as it's reasonable.

14. tequyla

tequyla

hi,

i am working on a rope system with Pickup function from kit. The movement of rope is nice, the avatar movement is bad. I need more free time for closed the task. When it is done, i post for free, of course, if anyone post it before.

For powerup, extract variable in a addon script and with isTrigger functionnaluty on game, activate the bonus.
    For exaxmple: health, isTrigger give more health.

this kit will not receive new update, from the rumor. You can edit the framework in peace.

++

snowcult likes this.
  15. Besus

Besus

For as much as I would like to, there's a few things holding me back:
    • Add-on kits never seem to sell well
    • A lot of my code is integrated in to the existing scripts
    • Adapting that code to standalone scripts wouldn't make for the most-efficient code base
    • Not sure on the legalities of even doing that
    Then again, I thought that about my footstep sounds script/asset and was able to adapt that to work in any project so never say never. :cool:

16. BioFan

BioFan

yaay thanks @tequyla !
    for the powerup I was thinking to do something like megaman, where the char model and ability will change when he has that powerup. But that seems to be too hard, may have to kill that plan.
    [edit] oh wow just realised Besus has that in his game...

@besuser maybe you can sell the add-on in this forum, may not be as much but you are getting a little bit of something. I believe I'm not the only person who lacks in programming but want to make games. So if I see something that I need, I will definitely buy. I see some stuff in your game that I wish I can make...lol

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  17. tequyla

tequyla

update with fix timer and timer float.

Hi,

in my mind, a quick script named Rune.cs for powerup.

Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class Rune : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     private Health playerHealth;
    8.     private bool isColliding;
    9.     private int RuneActivated=0;
    11.     public float RuneTimer;
    12.     public float RuneTimerMax=5f;
    13.     public AudioClip runeAudio;
    14.     public float runeAudioDuration=1.0f;
    16.     void Start () {
    18.         playerHealth = GetComponent<Health>();
    20.     }
    22.     void Update () {
    24.         isColliding = false;
    26.         if (RuneActivated > 0) {
    27.             if (RuneTimer > RuneTimerMax) {
    28.                 //Debug.Log ("RuneTimerMax reached !");
    29.                 playerHealth.currentHealth-=5;
    30.                 RuneActivated=0;
    31.             } else {
    32.                 RuneTimer += Time.deltaTime;
    33.             }
    34.         }
    36.     }
    38.     // destroying rune when is pickup
    39.     void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other) {
    40.         if(isColliding) return;
    41.         isColliding = true;
    42.             if(other.gameObject.tag == "RuneHealth") {
    43.                 Destroy(other.gameObject);
    44.                 RuneActivated=1;
    45.                 audio.PlayOneShot(runeAudio,runeAudioDuration);
    46.                 playerHealth.currentHealth+=5;          
    47.             }
    49.         // next rune tag
    51.     }
    53. }
    Add a tag named RuneHealth and create a capsule (with Is Trigger at on) tagged with RuneHealth.

Attach the script Rune.cs to Player.

When you enter in capsule with the player, you win health for X secondes (TimerMax value)

You are welcome :)

+++

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  18. kilik128

kilik128

So it's dead here ?

19. Besus

Besus

Dead? There's like 10 new posts per day so I certainly wouldn't consider this thread dead.

snowcult likes this.
  20. kilik128

kilik128

yes but where's icarus studio -(

21. BioFan

BioFan

Thanks @tequyla works like a charm. :)

22. Riff-Rex

Riff-Rex

As I see it, Greg is pretty much finished with this package barring perhaps any future compatibility issues or major bugs. He has always said that he intended this to be a foundational entry-level tool set to get you on your way to creating your own 3D platformer. I think those people waiting for more to be given to them are wasting their time and are perhaps not as dedicated as it takes to making a video game. Besus and DanielSnd have been very generous in sharing their work with us but it's up to you to take this great kit and make something! The means to expand your knowledge about Unity are out there. Google will yield more than enough for you to turn this kit into a killer game but it takes some hard work and dedication. Surprise!

I really appreciate what people have shared in this thread and I'm indebted to Greg for getting me into Unity so I could start learning for myself. This kit is not "dead". It's the opposite of a dead end. It's a brilliant start to making a 3D platformer BUT it's not going to do the work for you. Learn from it, do the work, and have fun!

snowcult and Besus like this.
  23. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Riff-Rex likes this.
  24. tequyla

tequyla

Hi,

i have udpated the rune code for power health with sound: here

Have fun.

++

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  25. Besus

Besus

This. This * 1,000.

As someone who came from Hammer/UDK and had no knowledge of programming at all - while using research from all free sources (no books on C# or Unity were bought) mind you, in my opinion the only thing holding people back is laziness. I've put countless hours in to researching, implementing, and then ironing out the issues and bugs that arose from my additions to the kit to want to just throw them up here for anyone to use. It's not like I just sit down and start typing up a script and then 15 minutes later I have swimming functionality. That took days of on-and-off work to get it to the point it is now. Google, Unity Answers/Forums, and other game dev forums found in the Google search results have provided everything that I've needed thus far.

Riff-Rex likes this.
  26. Fowi

Fowi

Totally agree but this...:
    . DanielSnd shared 15 scripts and Besus try to solve the problems of people asking in the forum. Besus only shared gamedevs videos showing their personal advances :p.

27. BioFan

BioFan

That really hit me. I guess I have to try a lot harder. I've always thought some people are not meant to program. I'm an artist, I love modeling and texturing but when it comes to programming, my head seems like it wants to explode to pieces. And sometimes no one really answer my questions in forums when asking about programming, so I end up not progressing in programming at all.
    If I want to do something, I don't know where to start or what to look for. But thanks @Besus I think you just made me realized to just try a lot harder.

And thanks @teguyla works like a charm, I will try to customize it :).

28. Riff-Rex

Riff-Rex

I'm an artist/designer too so I kinda know how you feel :) I've found Unity's own tutorials pretty helpful with grasping beginner-level concepts. Then I've pretty much just determined what functionality I want and googled it. Usually a Unity Answers post shows up and that's a good place to start problem solving.

It's been great seeing what others have come up with. I hope to share my game soon. Good luck all!

29. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

I'm an artist too, despite nowadays spending way more time programming than actually doing art. When I first bought this kit I knew nothing of C#, I was just arriving to the unity scene learning the basics. Now I'm actually creating my own "kit". Even if it's not your main focus, programming is an awesome skill to have, it's worth spending some time learning it and nowadays there's A LOT of awesome resources out there to learn from, so I'd say "Stop waiting for someone to make the stuff you want and go learn how to make it" is a GREAT advice :D

30. BioFan

BioFan

That's really a great advice @DanielSnd ! Programming is definitely an awesome skill to have. I always said to myself that I should have learnt programming at school, but I think you guys made me realized that it's still never too late.
    I will showcase my game once I have something ready :)
    Thanks again.

31. Besus

Besus

I could see that since programming requires "getting" the logic behind what you are trying to do. I've always gotten the logic but didn't know how to translate that in to code, so that's where Unity Answers/Forums came in handy (for me). That's why I don't actively share code I've written; instead focusing on the logic behind what is going on. Once you get logic, finding the code you need is much more simple. Like the old saying about giving a man a fish versus teaching a man to fish. :cool:

I can attest to Daniel's coding abilities as well since he's helped me out a couple of times so he is certainly a testament to an artist who learned to program. And to expand on my previous point of logic, he asked me how I went about my wall jumping. He took that logic and applied it to the script that he posted here. :)

That's why I won't actively just throw scripts up here. I am more than willing to help establish the logic needed for functionality and (if need be) tweak someone's attempt at coding it. If you come to me and ask me to write something for you, I probably won't; unless you want to trade code and/or "hire" me to write something. But if you ask about how to go about something, take a stab at it and encounter problems, I am more than willing to help you work-out the issue(s).

Riff-Rex and Fowi like this.
  32. BioFan

BioFan

@Besus I actually PM you regarding "hiring" to write a code a while back lol.
    Anyway I was just thinking, for the ledge hang and climb script, am I in the right direction if I say that I can use Daniel's ladder script?
    So my thinking is when the user enters the "Ledge" trigger, all control is turn off and plays the ledge hang animation. The player can only press "UP", "Jump" or "Down", if he press "UP" plays Ledge climb animation, if he press "down or jump" he will be off the cliff, either play the fall or jump animation?

33. Besus

Besus

Hmm, I don't recall seeing that PM. :confused:

Anyway I'll work out some of that logic stuff with you through PM now.

34. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Thankyou for this post. I respond to around 5 customer support emails every day and I think this kit is more alive than ever! As you said i want it to be as simple as possible for anyone to pick up and start enjoying. Opening a kit which is overly complex, feature bogged and difficult to play with is a bad first impression, i only want to deliver the best experience to seasoned game developers and beginners alike; i think the positive customer support experiences and the 200+ five star reviews are a testament to that.

I see many developers putting out constant updates to increase the complexity of a product without knowing when to stop - to me simplicity is where the fun is, allowing people the room to learn and expand it as they see fit, whilst giving them a really strong foundational base for the type of game they want to make! Room for personal growth and customization, among the community. One of the most fun things for me is seeing this community thrive.

I am seeing so many incredible games being made with this kit it honestly is far beyond my wildest expectations! Many of these games look like professional studio titles from the "golden age" of platform games, and could definitely make it onto the PS4/XboxOne/Steam store in the future - i'm excited to see what happens next!

Riff-Rex likes this.
  35. Besus

Besus

Now I feel obligated to (someday) make it to the console stores to represent the kit and not disappoint Greg. :D

joaobaltieri likes this.
  36. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

haha, your work is fantastic man, you should go for it! Its obvious you know 3D platformers inside and out - your latest water mechanic puzzle is something i had in mind when i made the water zones.

You mentioned persistence across scenes being a challenge. Personally i would grab a list of all physics objects and their position when leaving a scene, then when re-loading that same scene run through the list and move them to their stored position.

joaobaltieri likes this.
  37. will_brett

will_brett

I can dig it out but I didnt spend anywhere near enough time on it and its majorly buggy.

38. Besus

Besus

Oh no, I worked around that by just keeping the "bonus" areas within the same scene so that persistence wouldn't be an issue. The built-in clipping plane occlusion is more than enough to prevent performance issues as a result of having sub-areas within the primary level scene and is a lot less intensive than creating a massive list for those minor scene changes. :)

39. snowcult

snowcult

What am I doing wrong here guys? I feel like an idiot lol.

http://gfycat.com/ContentEvergreenAmurstarfish

The model is humanoid, all the bones are set up, each limb is working right in hierarchy. Animations are set up in the controller to use anims from the model, which work fine in the preview window.

I've set this up exactly the same as I have with three other characters I've used, and they've worked fine. For some reason this one doesn't like me.

:/

40. snowcult

snowcult

Perhaps I need to change the focus of my game to be "The Ministry of SIlly Walks".

41. Besus

Besus

If it's in the animation, there's either something not correctly named or configured in the animation controller (or different from the animator script references) so the correct state isn't being played. Or it could be a broken or missing link from one state to another.

42. snowcult

snowcult

I think it has to be the model. I've tried with the same animations from before and the new anims and have the same problem, stiff legs and arms. I've also tried the new anims with an older model, and they work fine.

The bones appear to be fine and in working order. Perhaps the hierarchy naming isn't right.

43. BioFan

BioFan

I agree @Greg Sergeant ! Your kit is really easy to set up, I got it to work in minutes. Unlike other kits, I tried for a couple of hours to get it to work. And at the end your game feels better.
    Yup I bought a couple but end up sticking with this cos it's the best at the store. But since I'm a beginner coder, I am thinking that I should limit my game design. If I can't get things I want in my game, I will have to simplify my gameplay and work with what is possible at the moment.
    Game design is more important than anything else anyway and I will need to learn so many other things to finally release the game.
    But this forum is very supportive like @tequila @Besus and @DanielSnd . So I am sure this kit will be the start of something great. I will definitely share my game once I can show it and tag you guys in it. And will definitely give the credit when my game is finally released. Hope everything will be fine :).

DanielSnd likes this.
  44. Mad_Fox

Mad_Fox

Sorry to ask this again, but i've been having this problem for weeks, if i start a scene with enemies from the editor, everything work as espected, but if i get to the scene from another scene using the simple "Application.LoadLevel", the enemies dont react/attack, they stood still looping the idle animation or moving with the move to point script, i could kill them if i jump on them, it's like the sight bounds, attack bounds and the triggerparent script didnt initialize (the "colliding" bool never change), its weird because the same scene work if i just press play in the editor, anybody know what could be happening?

45. imma01100

imma01100

Besus can you tell me how you did pickup throw and carry animations for lenzo character pack i saw in your dev blog thank you

46. Besus

Besus

I made them; I had to make and modify a lot of the animations actually.

47. imma01100

imma01100

thank you for quick answer i was trying i thought it's working for you why not for me so i have to make new animation ok thank you other animations working fine e.g walk run attack only pickup throw and carry not working for me

48. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

does this package work with unity 5 beta 9 ? has it been tested with windows 8.1 (build)?

Thanks

49. imma01100

imma01100

Besus can i have your email or skype i want talk to you

50. BokuDev

BokuDev

I found out that rotating a hazard box and having the player stand still for about 1-2 seconds will make it so they don't take damage o_O

If the player moves into the hazard box then they will take damage. :(

(Link to footage on that)
    http://i.gyazo.com/eb98d51aa47cafb49c7225811c010703.mp4

Probably will have to use moving points instead of rotations. :eek: