Search Unity

[RELEASED] Candela SSRR V2 Advanced Screen Space PBS Reflections for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elbows

elbows

Here is the timeline for inspection, gleaned from rereading this and the original v1 thread:

2013:
    Nov 1 - Forum thread created announcing product launch.
    Nov 20 - Anticipates launch in 7 days or so.
    Dec 10 - Says will most certainly be available before Christmas.

2014:
    Jan 22 - Announces it should work on all platforms when first version launches (First version was initially going to be DX11 only).
    Feb 26th - Claims first version submitted to store.
    March 10th - First version goes live in store.
    March 11th - Claims to be submitting an update today.
    March 12th - Says they have submitted a new update today.
    March 17th - Claims almost ready to submit 1.02
    March 22nd - Claims 1.02 will be available any day now.
    April 8th-15th 2014 - Group Buy V1.
    April 9th - Talk of whats coming in 1.03
    May 5th - Claims update will be submitted on Tuesday.
    May 6th - 50% off in Madness sale which ends around May 16th.
    May 14th - Claims 1.02 submitted and should be available by weekend.
    May 16th - Claims links will be emailed in the next day or two for group buy members.
    May 17th - Claims 1.02 already submitted and 1.03 will be submitted next week.
    May 20th - Claims they contacted Unity to try to speed up release.
    May 21st - 1.02 Update is available.
    July 3rd - Claims version 1.03 is nearly ready.
    July 8th - 40% off sale till July 15th.
    July 26th - Sale extended till 31st July, says probably wont have more sales after this for a while.
    Sep 19th - $65 sale till 1st October. Hype about 'Total reflections' product.
    Sep 30th 2014 - Claims they will join Unity 5 beta and make all necessary changes for a smooth transition.
    October 25th - Happy new year special 60% off begins. Hype about 'Unreal Reflections', with talk of discount for Candela users.
    November 7th - Claims Unity 5 support is going well and that next version should work with Unity 5 beta.
    Dec 17th - Claims 1.03 nearly ready to be submitted.
    Dec 17th - Happy new year sale, 60% off.
    Dec 18th - Claims 1.03 will be available before Christmas, but that full Unity 5 support will be in 1.04.
    Dec 29th - Claims they added more features and will be submitting to Unity soon.
    Dec 31st - New year 60% off sale ends.

2015:
    Jan 28th - Livenda reappears after a months silence.
    Jan 28th - Says schedule is v1.03 submitted this week, 1.04 with Unity 5 compatibility approx 2 weeks.
    Feb 14th - Claims they submitted 1.03 nine days ago.
    March 9th - At least one direct download customer got 1.03
    March 16th 2015 - Claims a Unity 5 version will be released in a few days.
    March 23rd - 1.03 is in the asset store.
    March 25th - Claims on twitter that they are submitting 1.04 today.
    May 5th - Twitter claim that 1.04 will be available within a week.
    July 22 2015 - V2 launches on sale ($60). A claim that 2.1 is to be submitted within a day or two is made.
    July 24th - Claims they are submitting 2.1 today
    July 26th - They say they have submitted 2.1
    July 29th - V2.2 starts to get mentioned (in the context of a specific fix being added to this version)
    July 30th - Some screenshots said to be from v 2.1 are posted.
    August 3rd - Claims that 2.1 should be on the asset store any day now
    August 10th - More 2.1 screenshots and 'update is almost here'
    August 11th - Claims they contacted Unity yesterday and they said it could be another week.
    August 11th - 72% off in madness sale
    August 12th - Talk of more things that have been fixed in 2.2
    August 12th - Claims that if 2.1 isnt on Asset store by Friday, customers can contact Livenda for a download
    August 13th - Talk of not needing reflection probes when 2.2 comes.
    August 15th - Claims they have decided to wait till Monday before sending out 2.1 download links due to number of users
    August 17th - Claims that everyone who requested 2.1 should get links in next 24-48 hours. Claims that 2.2 will be submitted as soon as 2.1 approved.
    August 19th - Claims everyone should have the link by the next day.
    August 20th - Claims everyone should have received link by now and to contact them again if you havent. 12 hours of madness sale left.
    August 29th - Someone on the forum has received v2.1
    September 1st - More forum users report receiving v2.1
    September 16th - v2.1 is on the asset store.

edit on 1st September - in the interests of fairness I'll continue to update this timeline until v2.1 is in the asset store, then stop.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. eskovas

eskovas

Yeah it's sad that this is basically happening again...
    I for one was convinced that since 2.0 they became more active and responding to comments, they realized how to properly do things. I guess it was the heat of the discount moment.

I can't really complain about the asset itself, since it works for me, but for the others which it doesn't work, then it's really bad that an update can take months to come.

What would probably fix these false promises is if the Asset Store would implement a label saying "A new version of this asset is currently awaiting approval." on every asset's page. They can do it, since it's a fairly basic thing to do, but doing it because of only one asset is kinda pointless. But i guess it's nice to know if a developer is currently making a patch to their asset.

Or, you know, due to these events, simply ask the Asset Store people if in fact an update is awaiting approval and if it is, then ask why it takes so long, when every other asset takes at most 1-2 weeks to be updated, but that's probably not allowed.

3. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi Everyone,

Please Calm down

We sincerely apologize for the delay for the download info on V2.1 for some customers, we are sending them manually and the rest will have the link Tomorrow (Please don't forget we also moved offices in the last week!). We had to re-submit V2.1 to the Asset store as it was rejected due some pre-compiled shaders which were set for DX11 only. With the new submission the full source code for almost all the shaders in of Candela V2.1 are included.

Please bare with us for a couple of days and we promise everyone will be blown away with the upcoming off-screen reflections in V2.2.

Cheers,
    Michael
    Livenda

Mauri likes this.
  4. elbows

elbows

Delays and asset store rejections are quite understandable. If you want people to remain calm, the main thing you should stop doing is making claims such as 'everyone who asked for it has been sent a link for 2.1' and then days or weeks later posting things that make it clear that original statement wasn't true. That undermines the understanding from people that you would otherwise get when life-disrupting events such as office moves happen.

5. elbows

elbows

And just to be completely clear: I am sure that people would far rather you said 'sorry, we haven't sent them yet, some issues have cropped up with 2.1' than have you confidently giving out dates or make other claims that turn out to be worthless.

eskovas and daville like this.
  6. eskovas

eskovas

I think that's the main reason people are upset here.
    It's fine if you tell us what you're fixing and what you're working on for the next version, but constantly saying "tomorrow" or "in the next few days" every time the deadline is not met, makes people upset.
    Better to say with certainty when an update is going to be released, than hoping it will be released in that short time-frame.

This also leads to every time a post "it will be released in X time" is made, people will just assume it won't happen, and that's not good.

7. hopeful

hopeful

Actually, they may be back in 3-4 days, as their website has a countdown timer for release of some new product. It's "the day Unity 5 changes."

Of course ... that countdown could be more of a guideline or proposal than an actual mark to adhere to. So we'll see. ;)

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi Michael, I've had a word with the mod team and we'll be keeping an eye on the thread. We'd like you to not make any claims you can't keep from this point otherwise you won't be able to post. This is due to the volume of users feeling for whatever reason they're not being heard or being misled.

I'm sure it's all a misunderstanding so from this point I'd like to ask users and Livenda to err on the side of caution, that is, don't make any deadline promises - period. A good one is "when it's ready".

Probably best not to make promises either. In any case if it happens again, there will be no warnings.

9. cg_destro

cg_destro

So it looks like I made good decision not buying this, I already had Candela in shoping cart and almost bought it but there was something fishy in forum about updates, great promises that would make great sales but there was also Livenda history while back that I remembered and it seems it happening again, such a shame :/

10. superjayman

superjayman

Hey livenda, thanks for 2.1. works like a charm, congrats.

what is toksvig power? not in the documentation

candelatoksvig.jpg

11. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

No problem, for users who requested the direct download to V2.1 from us was delayed due to us moving offices which was a major pain, including having to setup a secure method.

Cheers,
    Michael

Yes, Toksvig is primarily a specular AA method, variance in bump values are calculated via averaged normal length vectors. We then use this RT to modulate reflections. This helps preserve normal-map response when reflection convolution is high. This is a highly optimized dynamic method with very little overhead.

Cheers.

12. Frpmta

Frpmta

13. MS80

MS80

4 request mails (first was send 14.08) and still no download-link!

As reported Candela2 does not work on AMD gpu's, this is a major issue.
    Hope 2.1 / 2.2 will fix this, otherwise Candela2 is worthless for me and many others with the same problem!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Tinjaw and Tethys like this.
  14. ZJP

ZJP

15. Lohrion

Lohrion

If both of this is true I would feel betrayed and would request a refund. Let's wait, only 1 day left until the counter reaches 0.

16. NikProductions

NikProductions

They are releasing SpectraGI?

17. tripknotix

tripknotix

Does deferred (new deferred) rendering for the camera work on Open GL ES3.0 (Android Platform) with candella? Has this been tested and are their any provided examples for es3.0 using deferred on Android with the package?

Very interested in this package.

18. Tethys

Tethys

Does anyone have any experience with CandelaSSRR and Water4Advanced ? I hate that Unity refuses to give good thorough information on how Water4Advanced works. My project uses procedural water on a voxel procedural terrain. We currently use Unity Water4Advanced shader (though it's the only one that kind of works, reflections don't). So we purchased CandelaSSRR in hopes to get reflections working on Water4Advanced but per usual, we just can't find much information on Water4Advanced nor using CandelaSSRR with that shader. Our main problem is spending too much time trying to see through all the settings and distortion that Water4Advanced ends up creating to see if reflections are working. Right now I cannot see them, no matter how smooth and still I make our water. Any tips or example settings that has worked in the past? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  19. Tethys

Tethys

Wow just saw this and did not know this. I am using an AMD GPU (R9 270 I think). I thought what little reflection I can see on a flat plane looked kind of weird but I had assumed this is because the settings need to be tweaked. After tweaking a bunch of settings, flat plane reflections still look strange, skybox is not properly reflecting (its cutting off half the skybox and making it look like there is a black sqaure in the sky). My mountain reflections are all "stepped" no matter what I adjust, still looks like mountains being reflected in a wavy pool of water(minus the animation) rather than a flat mirror. :/ So far, after 2 hours of playing with this asset, it is definitely not working correctly and certainly will most likely be asking for a refund based on what I am seeing and this new info about Candela not properly working on AMD GPU's, if that is the case.

20. MS80

MS80

Hi Tethys, does it look like this??
    CandelaV2_amd_issue_.jpg

I have reported this issue 4 weeks ago!
    Waiting for 2.1 - if it still arrives - , but to be honest I don't think it will fix the issue with amd gpu!

Tinjaw likes this.
  21. kenshin

kenshin

22. sotec

sotec

now the countdown go up XD

kenshin likes this.
  23. Mauri

Mauri

The Countdown is counting up :D

I do hope it's SpectraGI. Or it might be "Unreal Reflections". A big announcement for a Candela SSRR update wouldn't make too much sense. Well, let's see ;)

kenshin likes this.
  24. sotec

sotec

i won't hide my disapointement for the countdown counting up >< even if it made me laught a lot ^^

25. Licarell

Licarell

Livenda is located down under... so it's been Sept 1st a while now..lol...

26. zappapa

zappapa

Yeah right It was about 4 minutes and now it's 15 minutes.

This guy is making a fool of us!

daville likes this.
  27. ForceX

ForceX

It's not Spectral GI.

From page 4

28. NikProductions

NikProductions

If it really is something more important than SpectraGI.. DAMN I CAN'T WAIT. Also in a youtube video they said: "We have our next-gen screen-space reflections product Candela SSRR V2 being released this week then we have a great surprise product for Unity which a lot have been asking for including us:) (game changer for Unity), then Nephilim Ocean and a few others.". So probably SpectraGI will come after the ocean plugin.

29. zappapa

zappapa

I bet this 'great surprise product' is "coming soon"

daville likes this.
  30. Tapgames

Tapgames

It's midnight there so for them its just 1 sep a moment ago. I think they update there website when they are awake. This counter is looking for your time on your computer just change your clock it also change the countdown lol

31. zappapa

zappapa

You're wrong. For them (they're in Australia, right?) it's already September 2. We're not getting anything today… nor tomorrow… I'm afraid it's never going to happen.

32. Licarell

Licarell

Dude... it's Australia it's sept 2nd there... they start the day there not end it...

Well guys/gals I have a feeling the countdown clock became irrelevant after hippocoder's warning, It might of been a marketing ploy to pressure people to buy Candella V2 so they could get in on the new hotness (Unreal Reflections?).

They might be heading Hippo's warning and not releasing any info till it's ready, they should just pull the clock... it's embarrassing...

33. Tapgames

Tapgames

Ah yes your right!

Afraid that it will take much longer before we know!

34. sotec

sotec

until it's 8AM for them, don't count on it in my opinion, but they could have put the countdown end in synch with them ><

35. Mauri

Mauri

The Countdown is actually mapped for September 1st. Right click in the Countdown area, choose "View webpage source" and voilà:

Dont forget: Timezones.

36. ForceX

ForceX

I don't usually rant and have been extremely patient with Livenda since V1, and have silently agreed with most users complaints here. So,
    Honestly if it's not a change of management or acquisition of Livenda IP by Unity; I would hold my excitement.

1.Timer is 7+ hours over there own announcement. Because of "The Move"?
    2.Still no 2.1 on the asset store. I've only seen one person that has supposedly gotten 2.1 via direct means.
    3. Every product on the web site has said coming soon for what.. Two years

blueivy and daville like this.
  37. NikProductions

NikProductions

For me it's 3 minutes, how is it for everyone else?

38. NikProductions

NikProductions

Nevermind, it's going up..

39. Mauri

Mauri

(src: twitter)

I'm sure certain people will rant again... as usual :rolleyes:

40. KWaldt

KWaldt

Just wanted to say that I just got my 2.1 download link half an hour ago (send the request five days ago and got a response that they are working on it). Haven't tested it out yet, but the download works and is very comfortable, plus it's a sign that they are currently active, so there's still hope for the people currently waiting.
    I think that the guys from Livenda are a bit overwhelmed and deal with some situations a bit weirdly by pretending that the problems simply don't exist, but I also believe that they are trying to make good things, and if Candela can do what it promises, the wait will be worth it (looking forward to 2.2).
    I also believe that we're not really helping it with this thread--I understand that people are upset (I was too, and I'm still waiting till 2.2 to make my judgement concerning how useful it is too me, and if it will work with AMD and custom shaders [having trouble with the skin shader]). Let's not forget that the people on the other side (Livenda) are people too, that they make mistake and have feelings, and hope for the best.

Hope everyone gets their download links soon!
    - KW

Fab4, LIVENDA, elbows and 2 others like this.
  41. eskovas

eskovas

According to their Twitter account https://twitter.com/LivendaLabs/status/638733552842989568 :
    1 Day to go for the biggest Unity 5 Announcement to date.. stay tuned Postponed to Sep 2 http://www.livenda.com This is a game changer.

They are hyping it way too much. What would the biggest Unity5 announcement to date be?

Also, all these posts are really off-topic to this thread, so maybe ease up on the comments for another product o_O
    (i know, i just made a post about another product too :D )

42. MS80

MS80

Thanks Livenda! Got my 2.1 download link right now!
    And I am happy to report that the AMD gpu issue is FIXED (AMD R9 290)!

A small disadvantage with 2.1 is the new look of the blured reflections on materials with smooth surface, I really liked how it looked before! Here you have a comparision:

CandelaV2.1_reflectionBlur.jpg

elbows, Mauri, eskovas and 2 others like this.
  43. sotec

sotec

"the day unity5 change" didn't precise the hour ^^

44. macdude2

macdude2

You guys were actually getting hyped for the September 1st release? Don't you know Livenda by now? :) Personally, I think it will likely be out by the 5th.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  45. NikProductions

NikProductions

They better introduce a Jove like renderer..

46. Tapgames

Tapgames

They better say: We have hired someone to communicate with us :p

chiapet1021 likes this.
  47. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

I received the update by email thanks Livenda. Testing, so far seems very good.

elbows likes this.
  48. Frogger007

Frogger007

Today i have get a direct download link for version 2.1, now i have the 2.1 update !

49. Osher

Osher

Hi,
    I received the download link as well yesterday, and it finally works without stalling Unity on OS X 10.9.5.
    It seems that everything works but I´m getting this error, does anybody else get this?

Invalid pass number (1) for Graphics.Blit. Material=Hidden/GausFast, npasses=1
    UnityEngine.Graphics:Blit(Texture, RenderTexture, Material, Int32)
    CandelaSSRR:OnRenderImage(RenderTexture, RenderTexture) (at Assets/CandelaSSRR/CandelaSSRR.cs:412)

In the shader GaustFast I get these errors:
    Shader error in 'Hidden/GausFast': 'gl_' : reserved built-in name at line 49 (on opengl)
    Shader error in 'Hidden/GausFast': 'gl_FragColor' : undeclared identifier at line 53 (on opengl)
    Shader error in 'Hidden/GausFast': 'gl_' : reserved built-in name at line 97 (on opengl)
    Shader error in 'Hidden/GausFast': 'gl_FragColor' : undeclared identifier at line 101 (on opengl)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  50. sotec

sotec

the countdown is back ^^

daville likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.