Search Unity

[RELEASED] BG Light Engine (With Real Time GI Area Lights)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by brilliantgames, Mar 13, 2014.

1. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

Any ETA for new updates ? i have lots of shaders that needs this compatibility

Many thanks

2. SteveB

SteveB

He's in Mexico researching GI, since as you know indirect lighting is stronger just North of the equator (e.g. Mexico)

:D

3. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Apologies, just got back from Mexico. Yes it should be on the next update, cannot guarantee lightning fast performance though. ;)

Well I'm back from my trip, soo very soon I hope. I would like to be submitting this within the next 4 days or so.

4. heliorunner

heliorunner

Hi brilliantgames, does this work with Oculus Rift?

5. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I have no reason to believe it wouldn't. :) Nothing is screen based here.

6. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

Will the mobile version require OpenGL ES 3.0 or will it run on ES 2.0?

7. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Anything that runs on shader model 3.0. ;) I haven't tested on mobile so I cannot guarantee good performance, but it should run. (The coming update)

8. JecoGames

JecoGames

Have you seen this:SpectraGI Advanced Real Time Global Illumination …: http://youtu.be/5t8NRscsGdk Its pro only but the results look amazing.(area lights with shadows!!)

9. MolotovGames

MolotovGames

Hi, whats up with the Update? This post is from 5 weeks ago, so 0.2 should be out for over 4 weeks!
    I want to work with this Asset professionally and I'm really disappointed that nobody seems to hold the given deadlines.
    I cant use the 0.1 Version because of crashes and I'm still waiting to get a working version.

If you can`t hold the given deadlines please be transparent and communicate the situation. That`s not how it`s working!

10. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I apologize for the delays. The main hold has actually been in my personal life, with an unexpected 2 1/2 week trip to mexico and other matters. I am back now and currently working around the clock to bring this update. Its currently in the final testing and tweaking stages. The goal of this update is stability and compatibility across all platforms with no crashes, and easy integration into all custom shaders. I would like to make sure that goal is met.

If you read a few posts back you will see that I mentioned my trip to mexico and I am working as hard as I can. Hope you can understand. :)

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  11. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

If I send you my receipt number is there any chance you could send a through an early version that I could test on iOS?

12. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thats not needed. Release is too soon. ;)

13. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Alright everyone. I am preparing this for submission tonight. But before I submit I need some people with macs to confirm its working. Please let me know your results. The screen should be black if it doesn't work. Others who had crashing issues should also try as well.

Here is the updated Room demo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65183439/RoomDemoMac/MCTEST.html

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  14. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

Black on OSX 10.9.2 Intel i7

$black.png

15. cg_destro

cg_destro

Working good on my pc no crushing this time :) win8 GF780

16. radimoto

radimoto

Black on OSX 10.9.3

$Snap 2014-05-27 at 09.47.49.png

17. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

This is bad news its not working on Mac. I really can't see any reason, the first demo worked just fine. Does anyone know if Macs are having issues with Multi-compiled shaders?

18. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

Any chance I could test out an iOS version for you.

19. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

20. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

The new demo is also black.

21. garyhaus

garyhaus

Confirmed Demo is almost entirely black.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  22. SashaRX

SashaRX

Yey, work in 660ti

23. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Alright everyone, version 0.2 is finally submitted. Its unfortunate that there are still issues with Mac last minute, but I just didn't want to mess around any longer, this update needed to happen!

I will be posting release notes within the next 24 hours. Once again I apologize for the Mac issues but its been difficult to trouble shoot with the lack of information on these things combined with not having a mac on hand to directly test on.

Rob,

Brilliant Game Studios.

24. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

Cheers Rob. I am going to purchase the update and try and give you some feedback for Mac.

25. Gosuneo

Gosuneo

$bglightosxminimountainlion.png
    OS X 10.8.2 intel hd4000 512mb

26. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

thats great ! waiting to make it compatible with other shaders. Many thanks

27. JecoGames

JecoGames

They already are. Just put UsePass"BGLIGHTENGINE"' under CGPROGRAM

28. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

In this update, you actually have more control than this. I decided to make some separations to give control.

Rectangular Diffuse: UsePass "Hidden/RECTANGULAR/DFPASS1"

Rectangular Specular: UsePass "Hidden/RECTANGULAR/SPCPASS1"

Spherical Diffuse: UsePass "Hidden/SPHERICAL/DFPASS1"

Spherical Specular: UsePass "Hidden/SPHERICAL/SPCPASS1"

Directional Skylight: UsePass "Hidden/DIRECTIONAL/DIRPASS"

Then there are transparent versions of all of these too!

Transparent Example: UsePass "Hidden/RECTANGULARTRANS/DFPASS1"

Just saw this now, that's very generous of you! Thank you for the support.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  29. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

So I just purchased 0.2 and ran a couple of tests. The demo scene is completely black, with no warnings or errors. I created a new scene with a cube and a plane and tested a few different lights. The lights do affect the materials. Not too sure why the demo doesn't.

No Lights
    $No Lights.png

Sky Light
    $DirectionalSkyLight.png

Area Light
    $RectangularAreaLight.png

Spherical Light
    $SpheriacalLight.png

GI Light
    $GILight.png

My interest in this plugin is purely for mobile. I built the demo scene for iOS targeting OpenGL ES 2.0 and another test with ES 3.0. Here are a few of the errors

WARNING: no native support for texture format 5, converting to 4!

-------- GLSL error: ERROR: Implementation limit of 4096 (e.g., number of built-in plus user defined active uniforms components) exceeded, fragment shader uses 10024 total uniforms.

Warning: Creation of shader 'Hidden/RECTANGULAR' failed.-------- GLSL error: ERROR: Implementation limit of 4096 (e.g., number of built-in plus user defined active uniforms components) exceeded, fragment shader uses 10036 total uniforms.

GLSL: array sizes larger than 99 not supported

Warning: Creation of shader 'Hidden/RECTANGULAR' failed.WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/RECTANGULAR' - Pass 'DFPASS1' shader state not supported
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/RECTANGULAR' - Setting to default shader.

GLSL: array sizes larger than 99 not supported

Looking at these errors, do you believe this will work for mobiles?

30. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

So this is all on Mac? When you switch light types in real time, is often good to move the light or make a change. Often Unity doesn't like to update everything right away until there is a change. In the screenshots you posted something looks strange. It looks like a single area light facing one direction even though you have switched light types and directions.

Its really hard to say. But if we are seeing light that's one good sign. Strange.

PS, I would prefer if you PM-ed me from now on. I don't want to fill up this thread with screen shots and bugs for Mac.

31. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Alright everyone, version 0.2 is now on the asset store. Here are the official release notes.

The entire engine was re-written for the most part on this update, hope you can understand why it took a while. :)

New Fixed/Features

- Light shaders are now organized into fragment shader 'Passes'. Simply specify 'UsePass' for each light type at the end of any shader and let there be light!

- Random crash bug fixed.

- Compatible with transparent shaders.

- Control over max rendered lights for spherical and rectangular for both specular passes and diffuse passes in real time!

- Slow import compilation time dramatically reduced.

- Rectangular area light accuracy has been further improved. Now approximately 99% physically accurate.

- Maximum lights rendered increased.

- Skylights now conserve energy. However still no specular reflections yet(remember cube maps work just fine).

Known Issues:

- Still having trouble with Mac compatibility!

- Still no real time GI(We are working on it)

32. SteveB

SteveB

BTW, regarding PM's...while I can agree that having a page of screenshots isn't necessarily ideal, it also isn't egregious if it's a real problem.

Consider that others may have the same issue, and being able to find the solution quickly and easily not only helps the community overall, it saves you from repeating yourself over and over and over in PM's.

Now...F'n hurry up with GI please... :D

-Steven

33. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Steve, this issue is regarding Mac compatibility which is a known bug. He volunteered to purchase it and test it for his Mac to trouble shoot and help solve the problem. There's no reason to be trouble shooting on a public thread for a product. I think everyone including admins would agree. :)

34. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

35. Cyrien5100

Cyrien5100

Hi,
    Very good work :)
    But does it works in linear space in Unity Free ? Because pbr, realtime gi and area light are awesome but if it's in gamma space, highlight will be too bright, and dark area too dark, so pbr will be useless.

36. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

BG Lights and Unitys lights behave the same in linear space. You just have to play with the settings yourself until it looks good, same as with Unitys lighting. :)

37. Cyrien5100

Cyrien5100

I wanted to say if i'm using Unity Free, BG Lights will be in gamma or linear space ?

38. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

You can use both.

39. kilik128

kilik128

i follow the light

40. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

How did you go using -force-opengl?

41. MolotovGames

MolotovGames

Hi, how is it going? Could you give us a short summary about what are you working on currently? Whats the roadmap and when will features like GI follow? It would be nice if you could keep us informed about the development .

42. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Well ATM things are on pause. I have put thousands of man hours into this project and I am currently working on a game. Also, sales haven't exactly been motivating either.

It would mean a lot if those of you who have purchased this package could give it a good review. So far the only review is from someone who didn't do his research and purchased it even though he was using a Mac.. To be fair, with the amount of dedication and time that has gone into this, I feel it deserves a few good reviews. There's really no lighting package out there yet for Unity that functions this well and on both free and pro. :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  43. MolotovGames

MolotovGames

You got a valid point there with the reviews, so I did my duty.
    But a pause for this Asset is in my opinion not how this works. I bought a unfinished product in beta state from you and payed you a good pile of money for a working lighting system with realtime GI, thats how you`ve advertised it all along. So I bought it with the expectation to get a GI solution in the next weeks and after I`m asking how it went, you tell me it`s on pause? Sorry, but we have a contract here and I`m expecting that you deliver what you`ve advertised. Please be professional and finish this product and keep your customers informed about the status of your product.

44. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

Im on Mac so I cant give a review on how the product actually works. All I can offer in a review is how the support has been and since you haven't responded to my latest question or pm's, its probably best if I don't give one. But you are right, if anyone is using this product they should give a review.

45. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Don't worry guys. It will come eventually. And thank you very much for the review MolotovGames. Just try to understand from a business perspective. I have turned down many jobs and opportunities to work on this package. I am doing an Indiegogo campaign for the game Soul Tyrant, should be starting later tonight. If you guys are interested you can check it out at https://www.facebook.com/SoulTyrant. It contains some of the lighting features in this engine. The game is already available to play for free on web player.

46. MolotovGames

MolotovGames

It will come eventually? I bought the package just for the GI and now it will come eventually? I`m trying to make a PS4 Game here and cant wait until you finish your product eventually! That's absolutely not professional what you are doing and stop advertising your game here. This Thread is about your Light Engine which doesn't work for half of the users and is missing it's core feature. And I'm seeing it from a business perspective, I bought the Product to support you and you slap me in the Face. You've made false promises in this Thread and if you are not about to finish your Product I'm requesting a refund. I surely didn't paid for a half asses beta without the promised core feature. I will also change my Review to a negative one!

47. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

I also brought the product to support you, and you cant even answer my question of "How does -force-opengl work for you". I was willing to invest my time rebuilding your product to support mac but you cant even give me a response. I don't want to be a whinger but it looks like it is the only way to get a response around here.

Spectra GI is suppose to be released in August (which probably means January). Are you really expecting to implement GI with Livenda's (or Unity 5's) solution on the market. If not, its probably worth updating your thread to state that there will be no GI in the future. It might save having all these annoying people who gave you money complaining to you.

48. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

This product is not being abandoned. And I wasn't advertising, I was letting you know what we are currently working on. The product on the store does not say GI is included, its something I will still implement in the future, I'm not sure where all the negativity is suddenly from, nothing has changed since the last comment..

49. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

There's alot on my plate right now and I apologize. I literally haven't been able to test -force-opengl yet. But I promise as soon as this current project is easing up that is my priority. Then after comes GI.

50. shadowndacorner

shadowndacorner