Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Windows Media

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Jul 4, 2012.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, you could look at the included video-queue demo - that shows you one way to have multiple videos and not see any sort of flash which loading a new one. Basically you have full control over what is seen on the screen (it is just a texture displaying after all) so you should be able to do something while the second video is starting up (it can take a frame or two before it has its first frame). Basically this demo has two video loaders and doesn't shut down one until the other one has loaded the next video. Hope that helps,

2. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

It sounds like they have FFDSHOW installed on their machine and this is handling the decoding of the video stream. FFDShow can in my experience cause all sorts of problems and is best avoided. I would recommend they uninstall it. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way for us to ignore FFDShow if they have installed it.

3. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

This is strange... did you download it using Unity 3.x? v2.64 didnt have proper Unity 5.0 support, that was added in v2.70. v2.80 should be on the store now...

4. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hmm I thought we had fixed this... Linear behaves differently in different contexts in Unity. How are you displaying the video - mapped to a material/mesh, IMGUI, uGUI, NGUI? Which version of Unity are you using and is it using DX11 or DX9 for rendering? Thanks,

5. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

v2.80 has just been released. Changes are:

+ Added Unity 5.1 support
    + Can now preview videos in the editor without playing
    + Audio can now be completely disabled
    + Better support for ‘StreamingAssets’ path
    + Can now set the texture filter and wrap type
    + Improved looping when using DisplaySync
    + Fixed some off-by-one bugs related to last frame
    + Fixed watermarking crash bug in trial version

Links:

Update at the Unity Asset Store
    Visit Website (FREE demo download and detailed docs)

Thanks,

6. teddevos

teddevos

I keep getting this error when loading a video.

(0x6A512950) (igd10umd32): (filename not available): (function-name not available) + 0x0
    (0x6A71B0D6) (igd10umd32): (filename not available): OpenAdapter10 + 0xe476
    (0x6A71BD61) (igd10umd32): (filename not available): OpenAdapter10 + 0xf101
    (0x6A71BB6E) (igd10umd32): (filename not available): OpenAdapter10 + 0xef0e
    (0x6A711629) (igd10umd32): (filename not available): OpenAdapter10 + 0x49c9
    (0x70646695) (d3d11): (filename not available): D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain + 0x94aaf
    (0x7066F961) (d3d11): (filename not available): D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain + 0xbdd7b
    (0x010F0406) (AVProWindowsMedia): (filename not available): LoadMovie + 0x4f6
    (0x010F1FB6) (AVProWindowsMedia): (filename not available): LoadMovie + 0x20a6
    (0x010EFD57) (AVProWindowsMedia): (filename not available): UnityRenderEvent + 0x1c7
    (0x012F1C07) (emailer): (filename not available): Object::Transfer<ProxyTransfer> + 0x85947
    (0x0126DBAC) (emailer): (filename not available): Object::Transfer<ProxyTransfer> + 0x18ec
    (0x015B324B) (emailer): (filename not available): AnimationEvent::Transfer<StreamedBinaryRead<1> > + 0xf9dbb
    (0x015B5D02) (emailer): (filename not available): AnimationEvent::Transfer<StreamedBinaryRead<1> > + 0xfc872
    (0x0135E2CD) (emailer): (filename not available): Object::Transfer<ProxyTransfer> + 0xf200d
    (0x771D33AA) (kernel32): (filename not available): BaseThreadInitThunk + 0x12
    (0x77E49EF2) (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 0x63
    (0x77E49EC5) (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 0x36

This is my code:

movie._folder = path + "/videoFolder/highres_videos";
    movie._filename = _name;

if(File.Exists(path + "/videoFolder/highres_videos/" + _name))
    {
    movie.LoadMovie(true)
    }

7. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, that looks like a strange set of errors...Could you please give more details (just the standard things, like Unity version, version of Plugin, trial/full version, 32-bit/64-bit build). What about the normal demo scenes do they work?

Thanks,

8. teddevos

teddevos

I'm working on an application for a museum that will load 2000 videos a day. Right now the application crashes every 1-3 hours (after 200-600 videos).

- Unity 4.6.2f1
    - AVPro Windows Media v2.70
    - Full version
    - 32bit build

edit: I'm testing it with V2.80 right now
    edit2: I could try to switch to loadFromMemory.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  9. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks turboted, please email me (www.renderheads.com/contact/) to keep in touch about this. I suspect it's an sisue caused by loads of unloading and loading of videos. Is there any way you could preload all videos? A 64-bit build of your app could help with this too. In any case our plugin shouldn't crash after so many switches. We'll run a load test here and see what we can get. Thanks,

10. olix4242

olix4242

Hi, I have a problem with double picture (actually, two overlayed pictures, with shifted UV-s). It happens also in demo scene.
    Also, another problem that I noted is that video doesn't take in consideration scene TIME settings. For me it's essential that it can work with unity time settings (go slower or speed up).

11. andygaga

andygaga

Hi Andrew,

What does watermark look like in AVPro quicktime trial version? Some color bar?
    I saw some green, grey bar in video. I'm not sure if it is watermark or it's bug.
    Thanks.

12. mr-sambarlow

mr-sambarlow

Hi,

I've got a user (edit: several) complaining that they get no video in my game -- they're using Windows Vista. Does AVPro support Vista?

Cheers,

--Sam

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  13. aps502

aps502

Hi all,

Is there any way I can call a function when the movie reaches the end of the playback prior to looping to the beginning?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  14. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, we found this was a bug with Unity 4.x > 5.x conversion of the Projector. Simply delete the Projector light in the scene and the problem is solved.

15. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes the watermark is a bar the moves around and a tiny 'avpro' text that also moves around.

16. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes it should, but it might depend on the codecs you use. I think the safest bet is a DivX type codec (which is what the sample videos use).

17. jfz_ioic

jfz_ioic

Hi,

I try to load a movie from memory using the AVProWindowsMediaPlugin.LoadMovieFromMemory.

My video file is in a Zip (with some others files) . I use SharpZipLib.
    I create a memoryStream from the zipStream.
    I copy the content in a byte array (ToArray());
    And then create and GCHandle like in the AVProWindowsMediaMovieFromResource class.

And the movie failed to load.
    I think, this is cause by an encoding problem.
    Someone already try something like that ?
    How should I format the byte array ?

Thanks in advance

Julien

18. yuliyF

yuliyF

can I do a stream video(play .mp4 file while it's loading from URL) - ?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  19. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Streaming video isn't supported yet I'm afraid

20. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Julien,
    Have you just tried to load the same video file from memory or from resources to see if that works (sometimes a video format isn't able to play from memory)? I guess you can also test if the byte array that comes out of SharpZipLib matches the byte array if you just read the file from disk? I'm not aware of any issues the byte array format...

21. pajamajama

pajamajama

Still not able to loop clips... Unity 5.1f1, AVPro 2.8

22. prismpeppe

prismpeppe

Hi to all. I'm using the plugin on windows 7, and it works good. But it not able to load the same video on windows 8.1.
    Any suggestions??

thanks

23. bpolley

bpolley

Hi,

Trying out the new internal clips feature for v 2.80. I can't get any clips to play unless the in point is set to 0, which means I can really only play the first clip.

The AVProWindowsMediaManager component shows my movie is playing but at 00.7 fps. This persists regardless of the in point and frame range. Ex. Attempting to play a clip from frame 1 to 24 results in the same problem.

My movie file is a 14 MB .wmv with around 3600 frames. I'm running Unity 5.1.1f on Windows 7.

24. freshAlex

freshAlex

Hi,

I'm trying to use this plugin with the oculus rift, but i experience some heavy judder in the video. im almost certain that its a video-FPS / rift-HZ issue. i know that it can be done somehow using 60fps videos on the 75hz rift (like the guys from ZeroPoint did - http://store.steampowered.com/app/268710/ ).

does anyone have any clues how to play videos judder-free in the rift using this plugin? perhaps its possible to force a certain FPS upon a video?

thanks

25. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

This is most likely heavily dependent upon the video codec being used, though there are a few other points to consider.

First i'd recommend checking out the plugins readme.pdf. It has several relevant sections such as specific codec suggestions and information on 4k/8k playback. The chosen codec does not simply determine supported playback, but also cpu usage and thus overall performance.

In my own tests i've found H264 codec to be insufficient in AVProWindows ( most likely using Windows own H264 decoder which may not be the most efficeint). H264 was unable to run a video ( source 30fps) at 30 fps and thats just in HD which honestly is not really high enough definition even in DK2. For some reason it could only manage 20-26fps in the editor, and that was on a i7 5930! Worse the Windows default decoder does not support higher than HD resolutions either.

The AVProwindows readme.pdf has a number of suggestions for 4k playback and since those codecs are going to have more efficient they should in theory be able to deal with HD at higher framerates such as the 60hz you mentioned.

In the end I went with H265 ( requiring a codec pack to be installed, I used LavFilters ) and this was able to run at a constant 30 fps for 4k ( 3840x1920 since a 360 panorama using Equirectangular mapping is 2:1 ratio). This was the easiest route to install, convert and get running as it only required a codec pack to be installed. Just remember to uninstall any other codec packs since it can lead to weird or unexpected results.

Other points
    If you are not using stereoscopic video then set the Rift to use monoscopic rendering as that saves performance - Check out the Oculus Unity utilities documentation.

Running in the editor i've found the rift to always be juddery, so make sure it is the video and not the editor that is causing your problems. AVProWindows will display the framerate the video is playing back at in the inspector so that can be a good guide. Plus its always a good idea to do real tests as a standalone build.

freshAlex likes this.
  26. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

I'm wondering what if any possibilities there are in using AVPro to control the 3D position of the audio from a video?

As far as I can tell the plugin deals with video audio independently from Unity, so you are unable to route it through Unity's own audio engine, nor access Unity's options for 3D sound or AudioMixers. The plugin offers control over pan and 7.1 mixes ( though i'm unsure what if anything can be done with the 7.1 control we have).

Though I guess some degree of fake 3D positional sound could be achieved via playing with pan settings, i'm wondering if anyone has found a better solution?

I'm also wondering what if anything RenderHeads could provide in this area in future updates?
    Would it be possible to leverage Unity's new audio plugin architecture to pipe video audio into a Unity Mixer as an effect? Alternatively and possibly better would be to find some means to pipe the audio into an audio source and allow other plugins to take advantage of it (e.g. i'm looking into 3Dception from twobigears.com currently)

Finally i'd be interested to learn any additional information regarding how AVProWindows deals with audio in Unity. Is it completely independent or does it hook into Unity's audio engine at some level?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  27. usagi

usagi

Hi, I just downloaded and tested the free version.

It works great and I think it could be the right plugin for my project but I need a clarification about the video loading function.

After I build my application, if I place new videos in the Media folder is there a way to have the application play all of them without loading them all the times?
    I tried to load new videos, then close and open again the application and it didn't remember that, last time, I loaded new contents. I was wondering if there is a trick to solve this issue.

Would it also be possible to load a playlist from a text file containing the path or the url of each video?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  28. DtxCreative

DtxCreative

Hello, I just started the trial version, and while all the demos seem to work fine, I am not having success with my own videos. I keep getting the error "movie failed to load". Looking at the demo videos they appear to be .avi.bin files, whereas mine are .mov . Not sure if that is related to the issue, but what should I do?

Plugin Readme says I'm using v2.78 on Unity 5.1.1 .

Thanks!

29. huxley

huxley

I'm attempting to convert my own videos for use with AVPro. Running a test of your included videos works fine, but when I attempt to compress my own divx .avi files and add them to a AVPro project, all I get is black. I do hear the sound from the video, so they are being played, I just cant see them.

I'm using the DivX converter to build my videos. Is there another application that you recommend to compress the videos in a friendly format that AVPro recognizes?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  30. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hello guys!

Im trying to cast a Texture type to Texture 2D using the following code to create a thumbnail of the video and put it on a uGUI button:

Code (CSharp):
    1. IEnumerator CreateVideoThumbnail(AVProWindowsMediaMovie movie)
    2.     {
    3.         while (movie.OutputTexture == null)
    4.         {
    5.             yield return null;
    6.         }
    7.         Debug.Log (movie.OutputTexture.width + " " + movie.OutputTexture.height);
    8.         Texture2D tex = new Texture2D(movie.OutputTexture.width,movie.OutputTexture.height);
    9.         tex = (movie.OutputTexture) as Texture2D;
    10.         CreateThumbnail(tex);
    11.     }
    The issue is that the variable tex never gets a value different from null and i have already tested it using a Debug.Log(movie.OutputTexture.width); in the loop, and it returns the correct texture width. (movie.OutputTexture is of type Texture)

The while loop is needed, since the movie would be loading just before trying to get the thumbnail and it seems loading the video is maybe done async, since if i run the debug right immediately after loading the movie the movie.OutputTexture returns null.

Is there a better way to get a thumbnail of a loaded video?

Thanks!

Rhod,

31. rhodnius

rhodnius

32. sharimken

sharimken

Does it work with Middle VR? I tried the mesh texture with Middle VR, there is nothing displaying. also, can I syncing multiple video textures and play at the same time and fps?

33. sdnj

sdnj

Hi Andrew,

I got the same issue as vladk. After upgrading the AVProQuickTime plugin from version 2.92 to 3.02, I still hear audio when playing a movie (which worked fine with the previous version) but the texture stays black. The culprit seems to be the AVProQuickTimeMaterialApply script. I replaced it by its previous version from 2.92 and the movies are working fine again. Could you please fix this issue?

By the way, the uGUI component, which is the reason I upgraded, works fine!

34. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks for reporting this issue! I will take a look and we'll fix it for the next release. I suspect it is related to texture clamping.

Thanks,

35. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I had not heard of Middle VR before today. I'm not sure why nothing would be displaying... Does it work normally on your system when you're using using Middle VR?

As for syncing multiple videos - there's no way to do this currently. I would recommend playing a single large video and then splitting the output.

36. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

37. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Virtualdub, FFMPEG, After Effects - anything like that should be fine. I'm not sure why your videos are coming out black. Are they loading okay?

38. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Well, .mov is not supported directly. You will need to install a DirectShow filter to add MOV support to your system (eg LAV Filters or GDCL Mpeg4 Filter), most of which is documented in the included PDF, see section 8.3.

There are some formats you can convert to which are supported by all versions of Windows (eg H.263/DivX/Xvid). Again all of this should be in the docs.

If you want to plugin MOV files in the easiest way then you may want to try AVPro QuickTime which has native MOV support.

I hope you managed to find a solution that works for you.

Thanks,

39. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, yes all of this is possible (after all Unity has a powerful script system).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by playing all of the videos 'without loading them all the times'? Do you mean without preloading them and just loading them on demand? This is possible but we won't have any components already written that do this so you would need to write this functionality yourself.

40. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Noisecrime,

Yes you're right that the plugin plays audio independent of Unity. The 7.1 mix support is just a feature used to control the audio volumes of the 7.1 channels. We use this for positional playback of videos (audio levels change based on where the user is in real 3D space - image 8 speakers in a row and the user walks from one speaker to the next and the audio follows them). There is a demo scene included for this called MultiChannelAudioDemo.

You're right that some crude spacial audio could be achieved using volume and L/R balance alone, but it's not something we've tried.

We are working on having an option to pipe the audio through Unity's AudioSource so that you can have full control over the audio. Hopefully that'll be out in a release or two :)

41. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Wow, really great tips there Noisecrime! Thanks,

42. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes we have a lot of recommendations for performance in the PDF documentation. We hope to extend that with more Rift / VR specific tips soon.

It is important that your video source frame rate is a multiple of the display device. So if you are running Rift at 75hz then your video should ideally be 25 fps or 75fps to get perfect frame-for-frame smoothness. You would also need to use the 'Display Sync' option in this plugin to get the smoothest results.

43. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi bpolley,
    I would recommend not using WMV. That format is not great for anything related to per-frame operations (unless there is some encoding option that can fix that) as it produces variable frame rate videos by default, and you need fixed frame rate videos for this feature to work. Perhaps try AVI container with a codec that is appropriate for your use case.

Cheers,

44. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Try installing Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Runtime (32-bit and 64-bit). I'm not sure if that is the issue but if it fixes it please let us know so we can try to fix this issue properly.

Thanks,

45. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hmm... it should work? Could you tell us how you are trying to loop them and what format your video is in?

Thanks,

46. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

That is great news and would certainly be the best solution all round, especially with Unity's push with native audio plugin support that mean 3rd party developers can now tightly integrate say binaural systems.

Having control over the audio from video is essential for VR support and while R/L balance does work to a degree having greater control would be beneficial, so I really hope you can make an extra push on integrating with audioSource.

47. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Since making my post above I tried out a few more experiments in terms of codecs and playback. The following is with regards to getting 4k video playback on a Win 8.1 machine using AVProWindows in Unity for use with Oculus Rift. So prime considerations were playback at 4k resolutions, maximum performance and minimal cpu use.

Initially I was using LavFilters ( see post above) and had great success with H.265 codec, but I wanted to see if I could get H.264 working at greater than 1080p as it would ultimately be more convenient for development. In each test below I first uninstalled any previous codecs/packs and started to use CodecTweakTool ( its included in the K-Lite pack but you can download it separately here ) to ensure any left over DirectFilters errors and issues were fixed.

DivX
    They appear to have recently changed their delivery of applications and codecs, so you now have to use their shim installer. This tiny installer then downloads and installs the various DivX apps ( player converter etc) but also various malware addons, unless you are careful and make sure to disable them! Even after all that the actual codecs are still not apparently installed, instead it seems to use an 'On Demand' type feature that will download each codec as required. This is obvious sub-optimal for most cases where we want to simply use the codecs to play back video using AVProWindows.

Sadly after all this I was still unable to get anything playing back in AVProWindows using h264 or h265 nor DivX own formats. From memory I don't think the codecs were installed globally so they simply were unavailable to other applications. I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure I tried relaunching Unity and even restarting the PC and still didn't get any playback using AVProWindows.

There are downloads available from other 'codec' sites that would appear to offer recent DivX codecs/filters, but I didn't try them as i'm rather cautious and it didn't seem like it would ultimately be worthwhile.

CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack
    I gave this a whirl but after reading the development log it seems to simply use a combination of LavFilters and a few others. Sadly the LavFilters is a few versions behind and again I was unable to get h.264 or h.265 playback working in AVProWindows. I'm unsure why as even being a few versions back the LavFilters should have worked ok, might have been some user error on my part ( not restarting the PC or something)

Other Codec Packs
    I downloaded a few other packs such as K-Lite Codec Pack, but decided against installing them since they often install more than you need and it didn't seem worthwhile since many seemed to already be using LavFilters which had worked fine for me in the first place. They often do install additional codecs, Directshow filters, VFW etc so there is a use for them, just nothing I needed currently.

CodecTweakTool and the return to LavFilters
    So after getting no where for a while I decided to return to using the latest LavFilters ( 0.65). Partly since I was fed up at this point, but also as I wanted to make sure I hadn't screwed something up on my machine. Thankfully once Lav Filters were installed AVProWindows was working again with my previous video format tests.

I then spent some time getting to know the CodecTweakTool and played around with its ability to set 'Preferred Decoders'. By setting specific entries such as H.264, HEVC ( H.265), XVID, DIVX etc to use 'Lav Video' instead of the default 'Microsoft' option I was finally able to have AVProWindows render h.264 mp4 video at larger than 1080p and whats more performance/cpu usage was on par with H.265! You do need to restart Unity after using the CodecTweakTool and maybe even restart PC to be sure.

Conclusion
    So in conclusion at present using LavFilters appears to be the best fit for getting general playback compatibility working. If you want greater than 1080p playback of H.264 then you'll have to also use CodecTweakTool ( Renderheads include much of this information in their FAQ in the documentation pdf)

I still need to do more testing in the future of alternative codecs, such as HAP or VP9 and especially in terms of performance/cpu usage with regards to greater than 30 fps playback.

t_kaniatobe likes this.
  48. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

@RenderHeads

So after spending a considerable amount of time trying and testing various codecs and installing codec packs I can't help but wonder why AVProWindows doesn't embed or perhaps better allow for dynamically linking to external dll's to provide decoding?

At a guess maybe its a licensing issue, but life would be so much easier especially for general product release, as opposed to kiosk installations where I have complete control over the system if one could embed decoder dll's that could be used directly. Without having the means to provide decoder's as dll's it would seem that AVProWindows is rather limited to either kiosk like installations or relying on limited OS supported codec's.

In the future I would love to see AVProWindows support some means of embeded codecs. For reference i'd mention VLC, it comes with its own decoder dll's which allows it to play almost any video content and clearly is a major part of its success. Its also advantageous since having decoders be local to the player as opposed to globally installed it avoids conflicts and requiring the end-user to maybe install codec packs they don't want.

49. electricsheep00

electricsheep00

I want to test the latest version of the plugin, but there is something wrong with your website and I'm not able to download it.

50. lc0051

lc0051

Hi, AndrewRH

I bought the asset [AVPro Windows Media] a few days ago.

I find Bug.
    LoadMovie() is very well, but LoadMovieFromMemory() find Bug.
    Can't use SeekSeconds()
    Memory load is Complete but Can't play movie, help me.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015