Search Unity

[Released] AVPro QuickTime (DEPRECATED)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Jul 4, 2012.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

WARNING: THIS PLUGIN IS NOW DEPRECATED AND IS NO LONGER SOLD OR SUPPORTED!

INSTEAD PLEASE LOOK AT OUR NEWER PLUGIN:

AVPRO VIDEO

Latest: Version 3.10 - Released 18 April 2016

Hi, I'm starting this thread for anyone who wants to discuss our asset for Unity: AVPro QuickTime

Basically it's a plugin for playback of video and audio and is aimed at the high-end user group that require video playback features beyond Unity’s built-in video support.

Features include:

• *New* Unity 4.6 and 5.4 support
    • *New* Ultra-fast HAP codec support
    • Windows and Mac OSX support
    • High performance on both DirectX and OpenGL
    • Transparent movie support
    • MJPEG and DV for video scrubbing
    • Adjust rate of playback including backwards
    • Dynamic loading of files off disk, memory
    • Stream radio from URL (beta)
    • Easy to use drag 'n drop components

We see this plugin being useful in the following areas:
    • Interactive Installations
    • Serious Games
    • Kiosks
    • Video Apps

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. kilt

kilt

hi!, does any of your video playback products work on webplayer??

3. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi kilt - unfortunately Unity webplayer doesn't support plugins so our plugin won't work - it is only for desktop/standalone mac pc.

4. okimoki

okimoki

This is from 1 week ago? I've been looking for something similar for 2 weeks now.. and here it is :) Just in time, i will really need this one soon!!! :)

5. SevenBits

SevenBits

Is this a native plugin or a Mono DLL?

6. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi SevenBits - This is a native plugin

7. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Okimoki, your storybook project looks awesome! if our plugin can help you guys we'll be pleased :)

8. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

Version 2.0 of AVPro QuickTime has just been released!

This update features:

+ UTF-8 support
    + Major cleanup and refactoring of the code and project files
    + Easier to use Unity components
    + Improved memory usage
    + In-editor previews of videos
    + Improved demo scenes
    + Improved documentation
    + Some bug fixes

Update your copy at the Asset Store

Thanks

9. Mars91

Mars91

Does it require UnityPro?

10. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes, as it's a native plugin it requires Unity Pro.

Thanks for your question,

11. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi all, I wanted to let everyone know about an exciting new feature we have planned for an upcoming release of AVPro QuickTime: Overlays.

Overlays allow us to display videos in Unity really FAST and using very little CPU. It works by leveraging the graphics API (DirectX and OpenGL) directly and completely bypassing Unitys texture system. Currently our plugin plays videos to Unity textures and it works really well, however there is some extra overhead when using DirectX as we can't update the textures directly like we can in OpenGL.

The current method of playing videos to Unity textures will remain however we will offer the new Overlay mode as an extra option for those that need faster video playback using DirectX.

The overlays are 2D rectangles that are drawn on top of the final scene. They can be positioned, alpha blended and have their depth set.

If you have any comments or questions about this upcoming feature let us know!

12. kaaJ

kaaJ

Looks interesting.
    I assume there is a way to control the movie through scripting... is there any documentation about this?
    It would be interesting if there would be a list of vars and functions available in the pdf document.

More specific: how do yo read out the current frame, etc.

Cheers

PS. I'm asking this because I need to use subtitles, and I can only write a parser if I can get the current frame/time.

13. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Dirk,

Yes the plugin is completly controllable via scripting. You can seek and get the current frame by calling functions like "GetCurrentFrame" and "SeekFrame".

The demos have frame display and seeking ability so simply looking at the scripts for the demos should be enough to work out this functionality.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

...mobile? or is this a naughty word not to be mentioned? :)

15. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

We'd love to support mobile but sadly it's not an option for this plugin. The QuickTime API we're using isn't available on mobile platforms... Such a shame. When we get some time we'll be having a look at the other options for mobile.

16. DrShimizu

DrShimizu

Hello,
    I have been having some problems with getting the opengl version working. I could download the demo and it works in opengl and directx mode.

I have purchased full version and running it in a test empty project, it works in DirectX mode in the editor and also in the windows standalone builds. However, the openGL mode doesn't work in the editor or in the standalone build. In the editor (if i launch the editor with -force-opengl) i get the audio but no video on the textures. In the windows standalone build (If i launch with -force-opengl) I get green textures. I am not building for 64bit.

I installed quicktime 7.7.2
    I am using Unity engine version: 3.5.5f3
    Forcing GfxDevice: 0
    OpenGL:
    Version: OpenGL 4.2 [4.2.0]
    Renderer: GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2
    Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    VRAM: 974 MB (via DXGI)

Do you know of anything that I may need to change to make your plugin work with my editor and builds in openGL mode? I know it is possible because your demo works just fine.

I am running the Unity Pro trail version while i am waiting for unity to migrate my licence to my new computer.

17. DrShimizu

DrShimizu

RenderHeads,

Thanks for getting back to me through email support.

I think I figured out what my issue was. In DirectX mode, the project works out of the box. In OpenGL mode the plugins directory MUST be located at assets/plugins as opposed to assets/AVProQuickTime/plugins.

Clement

18. okimoki

okimoki

Hi,
    just started using it, it looks promising so far.. Now i want to use JS to change filname of the AVProQuickTimeMovie..
    Can i get a short sample on how to do that? I tried looking at the included samples, but if i try something like this (like in the C# script public AVProQuickTimeMovie _movie;):

var myMovie : AVProQuickTimeMovie;

it says that AVProQuickTimeMovie isn't a valid type..

Im sure it's something trivial, im not a programmer :))

19. maddymac

maddymac

Hi,
    I find this very useful for my future projects. Just a couple of queries.
    1. Are you going to have a 64-bit support in future and if yes, then is it in pipeline and when can we expect that feature ?
    2. The URL streaming is in beta, so what formats is it going to support and when are you planning to release its final version?
    3. What other Formats are you planning to have , if any?

20. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Oscar

It seems that if you want to mix C# and JS you need to work to these guidelines:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/index.Script_compilation_28Advanced29.html

Basically it's not finding the AVProQuickTimeMovie type because the JS is being compiled before the C# script. Try placing all of the C# scripts inside a "Standard Assets" folder and have your JS scripts in another folder. you'll also need to move the "Editor" folder into "Standard Assets/Editor".

Here's an example JS script:

public var myMovie : AVProQuickTimeMovie;

function Update()
    {
    if (Input.anyKey)
    {
    myMovie._filename = "a.mov";
    myMovie.LoadMovie();
    }
    }

21. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

maddymac,

1) 64-bit support for Windows is something we want to add, but unfortunately this is really hard to do as the QuickTime SDK doesn't support this. It might be a while until we add this feature.
    2) It supports streaming mp4/mov files just the same as QuickTime player does. It is pretty much complete, we're just waiting for people to test it and report and problems.
    3) No other formats..this plugin supports all the formats that QuickTime supports. If you want to support other movie files (avi, mkv or something exotic) you could try our Windows Media plugin for Unity.

22. okimoki

okimoki

Thanks,
    i made it work, i just switched to C#.. slowly getting a hang of it :)
    Now..
    When i switch between two clips that were suppose to just continue from one to another, there is a few frames of black inbetween.. like it takes a while to load a movie.. is there a way to preload 3 movies to memory and then just switch to which ever i need?? I see there is a "load memory", but can you gime me a short code example (like before with JS :D ) of how to preload 3 clips to memory and then switch?

Thanks in advance!

23. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

okimoki,

You could create multiple AVProQuickTimeMovie components, each with a different movie and set it to load the first frame but not to play on start. Then in your display component you can switch which AVProQuickTimeMovie component you want to display.

As for the 'load from memory' the demo scene already has code that shows you how to use this.

Hope that helps!

24. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, a new version of AVProQuickTime is out and features these changes:

1) New 'overlay' rendering mode which bypasses Unity's Texture system results in faster playback of videos on DirectX systems.
    2) General performance improvements.
    3) Improve handling of seeking, frame stepping. More responsive.
    4) Added FPS display in inspector for each movie.
    5) Texture no longer updates when video has completed playing.
    6) Added option to load the first frame of the video.
    7) Fixed bug that caused ProRes

The demos on the website and the downloads on the asset store have been updated.

Thanks,

25. UnityProUser

UnityProUser

26. UnityProUser

UnityProUser

Hi,

I am trying to do something like okimoki. switching movies from one to another, i managed to resolve the black screen issue by what u said "load the first frame, but not start it" at the background and it works. however, upon playing the next video and unloading the current one (doing the switch), there seem to be a delay / lagging problem at the start of the second video before it starts to play smoothly. my video size is ard 20MB and i am loading from memory as each video is an asset bundle.

thanks.

27. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi UnityProUser,

Are you creating 2 x AVProQuickTimeMovie components, one for each of your videos, then doing the switch immediately inside one frame (with no unloading/reloading of videos?

Cheers,

Nathan

28. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

hi is there a simple way to stop a movie inside one frame?

i tried to pause it and then set the movie to frame 0.
    but when i have another play command on the same movie the first frame seems to be the one when i stopped (paused) the movie (not frame 0 of the movie).

the only solution that works for me right now is to
    1. unload
    2. load the movie.

i hope my problem is undersandable.

29. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Are you using the latest version (2.2)? In 2.2 we improved the frame seeking so it should work really well but before that it was a bit broken...

30. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

Yes still the same issue.

this is what i am trying to do:
    Code (csharp):
    1. m_Movie.Pause();
    2. m_Movie.MovieInstance.Frame = 0;
    am i using the right functions / variables?

31. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes, those functions are right.. It should work. Take a look at the demo - isn't it possible to pause it and seek with the slider? Perhaps it's something odd related to the MOV file you're trying to play and you could share it with us so we can investigate?

32. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

now it works. i missed a fuction call:
    Code (csharp):
    1.         AVProQuickTime moviePlayer = m_Movie.MovieInstance;
    2.         moviePlayer.PositionSeconds = 0f;
    3.         moviePlayer.Play();
    4.         moviePlayer.Update(true);
    5.         moviePlayer.Pause();

33. oki moki

oki moki

Hi,
    im having trouble with standalone windows (32bit) build.. it doesnt play movies, texture is always white.. i think the problem is in the location of the plugin? It is currently in Plugins and it works if i do a Build Run directly from Unity, but not if i do a Build and then run exe from explorer..
    Thanks in advance.

34. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

That's very strange... Did you check the folder of "Build" and "Build Run" to see what the difference was? The DLL should be in the "{BuildName}_Data\Plugins" folder...

35. Gromit

Gromit

Hi,

I am having trouble in loading audio files with this plugin, does it play .mp3 files at all?

Here's the log of the problem I'm getting:

[AVProQuickTime] Failed loading movie properties
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    AVProQuickTime:prepareMovie() (at Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Internal/AVProQuickTime.cs:254)
    AVProQuickTime:Update(Boolean) (at Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Internal/AVProQuickTime.cs:337)
    AVProQuickTimeMovie:Update() (at Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Components/AVProQuickTimeMovie.cs:112)

36. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Gromit,

Yes it should be able to play MP3s just fine..Are you loading from disk?

-Andrew

37. Gromit

Gromit

Yes, I'm simply loading it with the inspector with an absolute path to the .mp3 file.

i.e.

folder = /Users/xxxx/Documents/
    filename = xxx.mp3

38. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Does this work in Unity 4?

39. jk15

jk15

Hi,

I am using this plugin but Pause does not seem to work - I was doing it programmatically but just to make sure I even tried in the scene PlayVideoDemo it does not work.

All I can do now is UnloadMovie and LoadMovie to stop and start it.

Can you please assist?

J.

40. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Strange.. I just tested it here with mp3 and it worked fine. Try copying the mp3 into the same path as the the exe/unity project and leaving out the "folder" completely. Also in your example you have "/Users/xxxx/Documents" as the folder and this isn't a valid folder as you would need the complete path including drive like "c:/Users/xxx/Documents".

41. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Don,

It should work in Unity 4 with a bit of tweaking of the scripts but we'll be releasing a version that fully supports Unity 4 (and it's new features) in the next release very soon.

42. tim99

tim99

We are using unity3.5 pro,windows

We have obtain video stream from IP camera by call dll file,but can't play the video stream in unity3d.

We are looking for a unity3d plugin which can play video stream,not play video file.

The video stream format is h.264

AVPro QuickTime able to meet our needs? thanks.

43. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Tim,

To be honest I don't know if it'll work. You can try using the QuickTime Player itself and if it works in that then it should work in our plugin. If it works in QuickTime then try our demo here: http://www.renderheads.com/downloads/AVProQuickTime-StreamingAudioDemo.zip

Please let us know how it goes :)

44. KOSAKA-Jun

KOSAKA-Jun

I'd like to Know the differences between AVPro Quicktime and AVPro Media.
    Please tell me.

45. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

AVPro QuickTime (QT) and AVPro Windows Media (WM) are very similar - they both play movie files. Main differences are:

1) QT supports Windows AND Mac, WM only supports Windows.
    2) WM also supports WM supports 64-bit standalone builds on Windows but QT is 32-bit only.
    3) QT can play back .mov and other Apple files very well, without the need to install extra plugins whereas WM doesn't support Apple files well
    4) WM can play back .avi, .wmv files very well, however QT won't play many of these file types
    5) QT has support for streaming content, WM doesn't.

Those are the main differences. If you have any other specific questions just let me know.

46. llde_chris

llde_chris

Hi Andrew,

Does this plugin require the end-user to also have the QuickTime Player installed?

47. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes it does :)

48. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes it does :)

49. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi everyone, and happy holidays to all :)

Just a quick note that there's a new version of AVPro QuickTime out (v2.4) which now supports Unity 4.0. We've also improved the URL streaming support and performance in general. Thanks to everyone who's helped supporting the product - let's see what we can do in 2013! :)

50. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

very nice and use-full!!any idea for mobile platform?