Search Unity

Atavism by Neojac

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cookimage, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

The risk of not having open source if the project was stopped is slim as we have been given written promise that if for any reason atavism was stopped the open source would be provide to all licence holders. I am Sure if you request Cookimage would sign a legal document to that fact for your team if you paid the lawyer fees or if wanted go cheap he could make a document and have it notarized.

2. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

You would half to edit GUI for your character creation. Were there is a system for UMA and sliders that you can use it does not have pic class buttons set up out of box so you would half to add that but atavism does have a atavism window to make new classes in such as wizard of thief.

You would half to set up a server this will take setting up DNS and few code changes also having a basic understanding of mysql and phpadmin and such will be useful. Here is a write up I did for others to follow on setting up a server for free on a Linux computer http://www.atavismonline.com/forum/atavism-support/190-ubuntu-desktop-server-install-instruction-2-0

out of the box you would half to add a mob for player to kill and player must left click on mob in game. To add a mob follow this simple video.

There is a script file you would half to drag onto a item that you have in mainworld scene. Then set the script to what scene you would like the player to be moved to and have made the other scene.

Hope that answer your question's guess as you said you have some code knowledge that you could have something very basic up in a weekend.

3. ConnorC

ConnorC

Thank you very much for giving me a run down, I will be picking it up this evening I think looks like I could do a lot out of the box, I am okay with tiny little changes of course like pointing things to the right scene and as long as the server stuff is easy to set up I should be able to get one running for 4 - 5 people to test out, being primarily and artist the GUI thing is not an issue at all, all in all this looks like something I could have fun using and demoing a few ideas thank you for taking the time to address my points.
    Though odd question, why are there no fighting animations in this video? The player is just standing there, is that because they were not assigned?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. JamesPro

JamesPro

We stopped using HeroEngine for a number of reasons... First of all their Cloud Service is extremely limited during Development. On a Development Server your allowed to have up to 60 Area Instances running at any one time. Now in Hero a Area Instance can be anything from a Geographical Area of your world to a System Area that is used to process world wide Systems for example a Guild or Group System where you could have members of the Group or Guild spread out over the world. Also when attempting to do a seamless world You have area instances running for the area your players are in as well as the 8 surrounding areas and they stay up for a certain amount of time after you have left the area so they add up very quickly when your moving around the world. Combine that with a semi-large team of world builders all working on their own part of the world plus the System Areas that must remain up at all times you reach your 60 area limit extremely quickly.

Now when you reach your 60 area limit your unable to bring any other areas online until some existing areas shut down so the Server effectively become useless because your unable to do anything until you free up some of your area limit. So we would end up having wasted time where we were unable to do anything and it just wasn't at all productive.

Also the model importing pipeline leaves alot to be desired... It's not at all user friendly and our 3d modelers were unable to get any of our animated mob/NPC models imported with their animations.

Also there was no Mac Client and when the Mac members in our Community found out they nearly revolted against us so between everything we decided to come back to Unity.

5. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

@ConnorC no idea man not my video probably didn't assign stuff like animations.

6. Bumblefuck

Bumblefuck

You have to add your own animations.

7. UltraTM

UltraTM

Hi,

im the maker of the video. At this point where i made the video there was no Fighting animations assigned yes :)
    and like warborn said you need to add our own Animations there.

you can allready do a lot of Stuff with Atavism:

1. Mobs
    2. Quests
    3.Skills
    4. Claim and Build Objects
    5. Create Instances
    6. Create Classes and Races
    7. Make Loot Tables
    8. Make NPCs and Merchants
    9. Factions
    10. Currencies
    11. Effects
    12. Coord Effects
    13. Dialogues

its in early Beta and for that there are a lot features inside.
    also im working with the atavism team on making a complete Scripts and demo scene pack for NGUI.

People always forget if they buy an engine they are not able to to this themselfes or dont has the time for that.
    so keep calm.
    Always talking negative is the biggest bullshit ever over atavism. They work hard and give us an engine with a lot of features and they work hard on it.
    but its not company which has 10-20 people working on that. So it takes some time.
    i always read in the forums and chats about flaming why is this not in or this.
    then do an engine yourself and do it better :)
    on this way.
    I wish all a nice weekend and hope this helps a bit :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    neff11 likes this.
  8. Litwin

Litwin

Atavism does not seem bad, but not included all the source code, it is practically useless. There is no sale included the source code? I'm interested in purchasing.

9. Teila

Teila

It is very important that people give us their reviews of products here on the Unity forums. It helps us to make informed decisions about the product. As a purchaser of this product, I do not currently recommend it for a variety of reasons. However, at $70, if you want a simple MMO and are willing to put in the work to make it happen, then by all means, support the product. In the long run, it helps the developers make improvements. But do not expect all your dreams to come true, because this product will not make it easy peasy to build an MMO. It is hard work and frustrating. There are many people who will tell you this. Check out the Steam forums and the other threads here. You can say we are all "bullshit" or you can take account our experiences and learn from them.

I honestly hope Atavism is someday a finished product that a person can pick up and use to make a really unique, cool MMO with a little work. Maybe our next game will be on Atavism. At the moment though, you all need to be realistic. Fanboys telling everyone that our experiences are not accurate are not going to help either Atavism or their customers. Honest appraisals will. Too high of expectations will just increase the number of disappointed and angry reviews you see here and on Steam. Being honest and realistic will build trust and bring new customers that will work with the developers rather than ones who feel cheated.

10. cookimage

cookimage

All source code you need to make your own plugins and systems is for sale with the veteran license, what we have that's locked up is mostly communication code. If there is something you need access to in the locked up code we are more than happy to open that up and actually encourage developers to let us know about it so we make it easier for those who are coding their own systems but we do have to keep some part of the code closed as we have spend a enormous amount of money and time on this product, if we did not we would have had to sell it at a very high price which indie developers would not be able to afford.

11. Teila

Teila

I understand, Cookimage. My point is that we prefer having the source. There are alternatives that do have open source and at the moment, we are using those. I completely understand why developers do not open all of their source but when using an editor-type program like Atavism where you input data, make major changes, etc., it is nice to be able to know exactly how to tie everything together. Many people who buy Atavism will not need to change anything and that is fine. The more complex you go, the more you need to know and we do have the Veteran license..not enough is open for us. :)

Thanks for your offer of giving more access to the developers! I wish we had known that months ago. Might have changed things entirely for us! lol You really need to work on documentation and a thorough FAQs. ;) Gotta wonder how many of these problems would have been avoided.

12. cookimage

cookimage

Thanks Teila, yes you are correct we need allot more documentation. We are now making it a point to do a certain amount of documentation min per week. Atavism is such a huge project with allot of things in it I think when we end up there will most likely be over 100 pages of documentation if not more. Like you stated before making a MMO is no easy task so just imagine making a software to help with that task how complex it gets. We are working on a few systems to streamline communication more in regards to bugs and access to certain things just for that exact reason. Many problems would have been avoided, with a base system in place now we can get documentation done faster and don't need to make to much changes to it. For those who don't know this yet, in the Unity Atavism editor you now can use the info index which is the book tab to the right to explain each item in that plugin.

Teila likes this.
  13. cookimage

cookimage

New UMA Atavism 2.1 package is available on our forum for those who are using UMA with Atavism.

UMA Atavism Package

14. Bumblefuck

Bumblefuck

What does the new UMA package do/change? A little information would be helpful.

15. cookimage

cookimage

Its mostly fixes to the UMA system like when you size a game down and open it again the character textures was all bugged, that's fixed now. We are doing our regular blog post today on whats going on today and it will have more information for you.

VicToMeyeZR likes this.
  16. cookimage

cookimage

VicToMeyeZR likes this.
  17. Bumblefuck

Bumblefuck

Thank you

18. creatorfromhell

creatorfromhell

This seems like a very ambitious project, indeed. I have a few comments of my own to add about this, even though I have not purchased it, but it's not about the quality anyways. As a developer, I find the fact that you require a certain license level to get access to the plugin system outrageous. Charging more for the plugin api is like a game forcing you to pay more just to get access to the modding system.

19. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I love what they are creating, and I have to agree with you. That should be accessible at each level. Charging for CCU is ok, but I think you're right. ^

20. JamesPro

JamesPro

Not really... The Lower level License is for using Atavism as a MMO Kit for less Advanced Developers. It offers the least amount of CCUs and is just enough to really get you started. If you want more features and more CCU you need a more advanced License.

21. creatorfromhell

creatorfromhell

Alright James, if you think that's reasonable then you wouldn't mind paying almost four times the amount other players pay for a game just to have access to the modding system for that game?

22. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

@creatorfromhell Its common in the design world for products to have prices that get higher for more features available. Off top of my head Unity seems to be one. I would think of the start licence for the small hobbyist to play with having the server in his garage anyone trying to make a true commercial product is going to need a larger licence that is the way things work.

23. JamesPro

JamesPro

This isn't just a modding system though. Atavism is a advertised as a full MMO Framework to allow you to create your own custom MMOs... Though it still has a ways to go before it does what they advertise it does.

24. creatorfromhell

creatorfromhell

I brought up an opinion about them charging extra for access to the plugin system. How does that have ANYTHING to do with it being a MMO Framework? It matters not what the project does, but the fact remains that charging extra for access to the plugin system is outrageous. You're now just going off on a rant about random things that aren't related to my original opinion that you replied to.

25. JamesPro

JamesPro

lol I am NOT going off on a Rant... You have the MMO Kit which is better for small scale beginners who just want to get a quick game up and running for friends. These people are normally NOT very technical and the Plugin Framework would be way over their heads... Then you have the MMO Framework side of things where more advanced developers can create their own Custom Features and allows for more CCUs. The more advanced you want to go the more money you should have to pay... Plan and simple... Unity offers for free the Indie version which is very limited... Then you have the Pro version which is a whole lot more expensive then the Indie Version is feature complete...

26. Teila

Teila

Without the plugin system, you can still make a simple cookie cutter MMO, which is what more than half the people who pay their $70 really want. At a higher cost, you get access to a plugin system so you can modify the cookie cutter MMO to something more original.

If you want a custom MMO out of the box, you should just make your own. If you want a simple kit, pay $70. If you want to customize an Atavism MMO, you pay for the Veterans license and attempt to modify the code to what you want. I have been critical of Atavism but on this point, I think it is justifiable for them to have tiers. The plugin code will require a great deal more support. It is not easy to use and those "more than half" who only want a simple editor, will not be able to use the plugin system without a lot of hand holding. Providing support costs money and time and definitely impacts development.

So consider the extra cost for support. Our experience has shown that you will need it, especially with the current poor documentation which is going to be fixed according to the company rep. Yay! :)

27. Bumblefuck

Bumblefuck

Someday right? They are so far behind on documentation they need a full time doc writer to catch up.

Teila likes this.
  28. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Well if Microsoft lays off the 18,000 they said they are, I know a good Technical Writer. :)

Teila likes this.
  29. LeHaine_

LeHaine_

Would this engine be possible to do a turn based mmorpg? If would I need a higher tier license to do that? Would I need access to the plugin system?

Would I need to do a lot of customizing for it?

Thanks

30. cookimage

cookimage

Turn based can be done but you will need to program most of it your self as its setup for real time. I gather you are talking about turn based combat right? You would need the Veteran license which gives access to plugin source code.

31. cookimage

cookimage

Atavism Release 2.1.1 has arrived and is been put on the Neojac store. You should be able to download it by end of tomorrow. For those who has bought on Unity Asset store it will take a few days for them to process it. I will make a announcement here when its available in our store for download as well as for the Unity Store.

Here is the Change Log:
    Atavism Unity Beta 2.1.1 Changelogs

Update 2.1.1 is an incremental update with no new major features, but instead has important fixes and minor improvements. This update is needed to use the AtVoxel 2.1 and NGUI 2.1 packages.
    Important Notes

Due to the changes in the stat system installing this update will require the wiping of your core database. To do this, you source the install.sql file. This does not require a wiping of the world_content database, however there is an update script that needs to be run.

Minor Changes / Improvements
    Remote Account Connection
    The system for allowing logins using accounts from a remote source (such as a website) has been improved making it much easier to connect the authentication of logins to external sources.

Vitality Stats & Health & Mana Regeneration
    Stats have been modified to properly support regeneration. This includes support for new Vitality stats such as Hunger or Breath that can slowly decline over time and result in death or other problems upon reaching either the min or max value set.

Other

- The MainWorld scene has been replaced with a new scene that uses standard Unity terrain.
    - The movement speed stat has been added to the stat list. This stat sets how fast players and mobs can run. It can also be altered by stat effects for abilities that can slow down or speed up movement temporarily.
    - The Click-To-Move input controller now works! The MobController3D script has been modified slightly to allow this.
    - The World Building code on the client has been split into control and UI files allowing easier integration with other World Building UI and tools. This is needed for AtVoxel to work.
    - Faction can now be set for player characters (in the Player Character Setup plugin).

Fixes

- An endless loop that occurs after a mobs death has been fixed. This bug was causing the logs on the server to fill up very fast and would have had a hit on server performance.
    - Editing certain parts of the AGIS code on the server would result in run-time errors such as “FieldNotFound”. This is no longer the case.
    - New stats added can now be set for existing player character setups.
    - Skills no longer give starting abilities (or any repeat abilities) again after levelling up.
    - Mob faction and damage properties are now saved when entered in the Atavism Online Editor tool.

32. cookimage

cookimage

New Blog has been posted on our website. It talks about setting up Remote Account Authentication. If you want to read more please visit our Blog Section Here

33. JamesPro

JamesPro

And yet you claim Atavism is already capable of being used in a MMO and yet with some updates you end up having to wipe your database so alot of your work is wasted... lol

34. JamesPro

JamesPro

Also what do you do with your old Blog Posts? Do you delete them? Your supposed to keep them so people can see all of your posts...

35. cookimage

cookimage

Once again James you make me laugh as you never read everything. Blog posts on our blog system you will see there is two, and they have dates so one is from last weeks and other is week before. Only the first one was deleted as we moved to a new blog system so did not update that one. As for your complaining about database wipe once again read before you speak!

"Due to the changes in the stat system installing this update will require the wiping of your core database. To do this, you source the install.sql file. This does not require a wiping of the world_content database, however there is an update script that needs to be run."

Meaning you wipe the core one but not the world_content database which is where you keep all your data you have entered in it like quests, skills and so forth so you do not loose any work done.
    PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING YOUR COMMENTS.

36. creatorfromhell

creatorfromhell

I'm curious as to what changes have been made to the core database that prevent you from just updating the database instead of wiping it. Also, just to amuse my mind, do you test your package before releasing updates, because most of these bugs are things that should have been found during testing.

37. cookimage

cookimage

Yes we have a team that test everything as best they can before we do a release but Atavism is such a huge package and every time we add something there is a chance it can break something that worked before so its very easy for something to slip through the cracks. With every release the amount of testing needed goes up allot. As for the Data Base ill let Sooms answer that one.

38. cookimage

cookimage

Atavism Server and client has been updated on our store with version 2.1.1 . When you look at the download it will look like same file but after its downloaded the file will be 2.1.1 , Unity will be a few days before its updated as they need to allow the update. Be sure to check out the change log on our wiki with update information on how to update your package. Also make sure to always keep a backup.

Wiki Change Log 2.1.1

39. cookimage

cookimage

We seem to have a problem with files that are bigger than 120mb on our store as you can not download them. We are working on this right now and it will be the new Unity Client file. Thanks for your patients as we are working to get that fixed asap.

40. cookimage

cookimage

Thanks for all your patience, we have fixed the download problem and you can now download the new client.

41. cookimage

cookimage

Some screenshots of a forest area of our own MMO we are making, Neos Land using Atavism:

VicToMeyeZR likes this.
  42. cookimage

cookimage

More Screenshots of our MMO and a town called Tauranga, its a coastal town.

VicToMeyeZR likes this.
  43. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Looking very good

44. neff11

neff11

very cool engine but very bad support..

45. Yukichu

Yukichu

While I love the drama this thread provides, putting up screenshots of a game you're working on doesn't really relate to the asset much unless you're actually showing features of the asset... which I don't see. I want more drama, not screenshots.

46. neff11

neff11

not agree with u opinion because they show u what you can do with the asset is the same

47. Yukichu

Yukichu

They are showing a terrain / world / scene built for their game. I don't quite see anywhere saying, "Look at feature X in these screenshots..." Perhaps I was completely mistaken, and if so, I apologize.

48. cookimage

cookimage

You are correct, it does show terrain/world/scene built for the game, and no where does it say "Look at feature X in these screenshots..." but it does show that you can build a decent looking world and have it playable with Atavism which has some meaning to it. But that's all up to how you want to look at it. List of features is on first post and also you can see some features in action in tutorial videos if that's what you are after.

49. cookimage

cookimage

VicToMeyeZR likes this.
  50. cookimage

cookimage

Just a quick note for those who has bought Atavism on the Unity Store. We are still waiting for them to except the latest update to the store. I will be contacting Caitlyn today to inquire when it will be updated.