Search Unity

Release old networking code as open source

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by davidebarbieri, Apr 25, 2015.

1. davidebarbieri

davidebarbieri

Dear Unity Technologies,

since you are switching from Raknet to UNET, could you release the old Networking source code?

I'm the developer of a game (Blockstorm), which sold on Steam 40K copies in early access,
    and which uses your networking code.
    I've seen you used a version of Raknet which has some problems with some kind of connections.
    I identified the problem. The maximum MTU size lookup algorithm is broken.
    I reported this bug many times without feedback from your side.

So the networking works only for routers which supports an MTU which size is up to 1492.
    If a router supports up to 1480, if I send larger packets (we share custom maps, characters, weapon skins..
    and by the way we send the updated state of the map which is voxel-based)
    the user faces disconnections and problems.
    The master server is bugged too since uses the same Raknet version. By the way, we managed to
    fix the master server code since you released its source code, and we recreated the client code (MasterServer class functionalities) using the Raknet source code that you included in the master server's zip.

To fix this issue, we just have to uncomment the SetMTUSize code in RakPeer/RakPeerInterface;
    as a hack we just could set rakPeer->SetMTUSize(1400); (most used connections has 1472, 1480, 1492 nowadays) just after rakPeer->Startup();
    1400 is fine since sending very large messages towards a single user is very uncommon in a multiplayer game
    (I mean it is not a thing that you usually do each 10 msecs).
    That would solve this nightmare in 5 minutes..

We use Unity 4.5.5 and we cannot update it since next versions of Unity crash for us on RPC requests
    and, although seems to not have this problem in Unity 5, they have different further networking problems;
    could you add, at least, a patch to 4.5.5 with such a hack?
    We are 3 indie developers with 3 Pro licenses and a yearly revenue that
    do not need such licenses with the new Unity 5 rules..
    be kind with us, you promised MORE support to who buy a pro license @_@..