Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Relay Server Bandwidth Consumption Metrics

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by moco2k, Aug 15, 2016.

1. moco2k

moco2k

Hey,

for multiplayer games which use UNET matchmaking relay servers, we have to pay for consumed bandwidth. So, optimization of bandwidth consumption is a top priority issue.

In the analytics metrics, however, I have not found a metric which shows bandwidth consumption of my game for sessions which use the matchmaking relay servers. Do I have missed something?

This is a crucial feature as I need to test my game in development mode and see how much bandwidth is actually consumed. In case that those metrics are not available yet, they should be added. The necessary bandwidth data for this metric should be available already as it is needed to calculate the matchmaking charges.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @moco2k,

This is not a feature we currently offer, although if you have access to this information from your app, you may be able to keep track of this information in a suitable way using custom events. Your app could periodically send a custom event saying how much bandwidth it has consumed, and then on our dashboard we show aggregates of the numbers sent to us, it seems like the sum aggregate may help here, depending on what sort of specifics you're looking for. You could also see the raw numbers using Raw Data Export, if you have a grandfathered project or a pro subscription.

If this is a feature you feel strongly about, you can add it as an idea to our feedback site. https://feedback.unity3d.com/forums...f8=✓&status=0&category=analytics&view=hottest We use this site to keep track of popular feature requests and use it in influencing our future planning.

moco2k likes this.
  3. moco2k

moco2k

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I don't think it is that easy to accurately determine the consumed bandwidth from code with events. First, there is no information in the official UNET docs about how much bandwidth is consumed by different API headers and such information would be needed. Also, IMHO, this method lacks accuracy, is cumbersome to implement and it has a lot of potential to cause errors and mismatches with official UNET matchmaking measures. So, I am quite sure using events is not the ideal way to do this even if it is theoretically possible.

It is indeed. I think about every developer who is serious about developing a multiplayer game using UNET matchmaking will strongly need this feature or at least appreciate it. Also, it has been already requested by many other users in the networking forum.

While this is needed to measure bandwidth consumption before and after going live with a multiplayer game, it is also needed for plausibility checks of the charged costs. Without such metrics, there is no transparency on the charges for using the relay servers because we developers have no option to retrace if the charged costs match with the consumed bandwidth. For example, what if there is an error in UNET bandwidth measurement and we have to pay for more than is actually consumed? So this is also very much about transparency.

I have posted a feedback request here.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    erika_d and Deleted User like this.
  4. moco2k

moco2k

Are there any updates on this?

I think the analytics team should definitely go into discussion with the network team on this aspect.

5. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

Hey, we will be providing a bandwidth monitor, available on the developer dashboard (developer.cloud.unity3d.com), so you can understand how much you are using. I can't give a release date but it's pretty far along.

moco2k likes this.
  6. moco2k

moco2k

Thanks for the update, good news indeed.

7. FranknSon

FranknSon

Any update on this - I still don't see how to know what bandwidth I am using. You guys much have this data since you are bulling us. Where on the dashboard show do I go?

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D