Search Unity

Recreating this image in Unity

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by tatelax, Dec 17, 2014.

1. tatelax

tatelax

Hey guys,

I'm working on a flat-shaded style game, and I want to recreate these graphics in Unity. More specifically, the lighting.

I'm having troubles at the moment with getting these settings right. Lightmapping seems to always be a pain with Unity. I think the issue here is with my UVs. I'm using the UVs that Unity generates in the import settings. The resolution is crazy low for some reason, even though every single setting is on maxiumum.

Also, any general lightmap settings that would help recreate this in Unity would be helpful, as I've never really done much with Beast.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. tatelax

tatelax

Figured out my lightmapping issue. I just made a new scene which gave me the default lightmap settings, which I modified from there.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    rakkarage and peteorstrike like this.
  3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

In Unity Free?

4. tatelax

tatelax

Done in Pro, but could have been done in Free without the Vignetting effect.

5. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

I never tire of seeing Timothy J Reynolds' stuff :) You've done a pretty decent job of emulating it in Unity there - is it a custom shader, or did you duplicate vertices to prevent interpolation across faces?

6. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

Very Nice!

@tanoshimi, Actually, the best way to do this in modelling is to harden the faces normals, forcing light to reflect off them at hard angles, which creates this effect quite nicely.

7. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Does Beast not interpolate vertex normals across each face? I'm not that experienced with lightmapping, but for realtime flat shading in Unity I was under the impression that vertex normals are always interpolated across a face (and a vert/fragment shader has no knowledge of the face normal of a given fragment it mght be processing) so, to get a flat shading effect you either have to duplicate any vertices shared between faces (giving each copy the "face normal" for the face to which it relates), or else use a custom lighting model... am not near an appropriate computer at the moment to try, but will have a go tomorrow!

8. tatelax

tatelax

Actually, it's neither. I'm using the default Diffuse shader, as I'm finding that gives the best effect. As far as getting this look goes, it's in the import settings. I set Normals to Calculate, and I set my Smoothing Angle to zero.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Still with, just have shaded sprites in the corners :)

10. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

That does duplicate all the shared verts - it's just you're doing it on import rather than in the modelling program :)

11. pointcache

pointcache

Reference image is sexy :D i would start with tweaking ambient light on shader, then proceed to surround the piece with multiple directional lights, (for example 1 for sun, 1 for reflected ground light) and in general just play with lights until effect achieved. I would use lightmapper only if you dont plan on dynamic lvls.

12. tatelax

tatelax

Here's a progress update. I needed more room for a "playing field" as this is an online game. Basically, I've scraped everything about 5 times now.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    pippo4president and phil_lira like this.
  13. tatelax

tatelax

Made some modifications to the scene, colors, camera angle and image effects.