Search Unity

Realtime Rendered Animation with Unity 5

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by vertgreenheart, Apr 28, 2015.

1. vertgreenheart

vertgreenheart

I'd be thanked to Unity 5 for giving out Pro features and Global Illumination for free. Good Guy Unity. After Unity 5 released, I decided to try out make an animation using their Global Illumination.

It's a really short animation demo based on a song COSMOS by kirin. I wont make it full version because this is not my song, I probably will get some misunderstanding. I also have a plan making anime / animation with Unity 5, but I still need a lot things to learn / practice like modelling and animating.

The result was really realistic enough for me.

Total 1000 frames+, took about 10 or 15 minutes to render all. About 0.5 seconds per frame. Yeah always better than 40 seconds per frame in 3D Animation Software renderer (It also got really poor quality).

I hope Unity will release cutscene director soon as seen in their Blacksmith video. Cause animating using Unity Animation editor is such a pain.

Sorry for overbright, I had some problem on mixing Unity chan shader with Global Illumination / bloom.

Enjoy!

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

You can render just as fast while achieving the same (or better) quality from any ots 3D animation package if you know what your doing. And the quality of any render / lighting setup is a direct result of the artist ability not the software.

There are some pretty nice assets on the asset store for performing this type of work under Editor Extensions.

3. vertgreenheart

vertgreenheart

Yeah I know, I have a GPU based renderer on my 3D animation software, I can say it gives fast and high quality render (need 30 seconds to render 1 frame). I also tried to render 9 second scene and it took more than 5 hours and it just 7 seconds. I don't really have much time to wait (I can't do anything while rendering, unless watching movies or browsing 9GAG) cause my PC will lag as hell.

Besides, Unity also got Mecanim which I don't have to reanimate same motions on every models especially locomotion. I think it's ironic that 3D Animation Software which purpose to make animation easier doesn't have tools like Mecanim / autorigger. Back then I use Animeeple, but sadly it's gone.

Meanwhile making character walking in Mecanim also difficult cause I use NavMesh to make it walk. Unlike 3D Animation Software which I got the preview when previewing.

TechnicalArtist and theANMATOR2b like this.