Search Unity

Runtime Level Editor

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JohnParask, Aug 31, 2014.

1. JohnParask

JohnParask

What Runtime Level Editor is ?

Runtime Level Editor is a plug-in for Unity 5.x game engine which allows you to integrate an out of the box level editor for your game. This allows your users to design, edit, save, load and publish their own levels with the power of Unity 5. You can add as many asset categories you like and add as many assets and materials as you want. Then the players will be able to design their own levels with these assets. Since Runtime Level Editor does not store any of your assets it is impossible to rip your assets through the .rld level file. Runtime Level Editor save system allows you to save all the objects of the screen, all their properties, the changed materials, the lighting settings and generally the whole level and even the level preview image in a single .rld file.

You can view all the posts on this website in order to view all the available features, or better download the beta and test it yourself.

Why Runtime Level Editor :
    Runtime Level Editor basic features :
    • Full source code included.
    • Very friendly and customizable GUI. (Using Unity 4.6 New UI)
    • Supports moving/scaling/rotating tools.
    • You can also set position/scale/rotation via inspector. (X,Y,Z)
    • A bunch of options in inspector for each asset.
    • Physics integration to each asset with a single click. You can also modify physic’s properties.
    • World settings window with settings for global gravity/ambient light/global lighting/shadows strength/shadows/ rotation/fog settings/fog color.
    • Visibility option for each asset which will hide/un-hide assets inside the editor in order to help you design your map.
    • Very fast,advanced and optimized saving & loading system.
    • In-editor option to take screenshot of your level with a single key.
    • Upon saving the latest screenshot you made inside the editor using the “Tools > Level Preview” button will be saved and merged inside the level file (.rld).
    • The whole scene and the level preview image is saved in the same file (.rld) and the image is automatic generated from it each time RLE starts (only if it does not already exist).
    • The whole scene file is plain text which means that you can transfer it using any network option and it can be saved anywhere as a simple string.
    • Assets can change materials inside the editor using the Material Editor window.
    • Point light is supported.
    • Script prefabs are supported, which means that you can make some scripts and allow to your players to add them in their level.(Such as Enemies AI, Spawners,Animated assets etc).
    • Player prefab is supported, you can add your player prefab and the player will choose his spawn point.
    • In-editor play mode button, by pressing it a new scene is loaded where player have to choose the level he wants to play.
    • Simulate physics inside the editor with the option to stop simulation and all objects will return in their positions.
    • Advanced snapping system. Objects with the same snap-id will snap to the closest object on the side you chose. Ctrl + 1 to snap left, Ctrl + 2 to snap right, Ctrl + 3 to snap forward … etc.
    • Undo position,rotation and scale changes option.
    • Duplicate selected object option.

You can always check for more information and screenshots at the official website : http://rld.url.ph/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  2. JohnParask

JohnParask

Physics Integration

3. JohnParask

JohnParask

Save Load System & Status Bar

4. MichaelHF15

MichaelHF15

Looks good! Might end up using this.. Keep it up :cool:

JohnParask likes this.
  5. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thanks :) . If you consider buying it then you should do a pre-order. You don't have to pay/give anything, but if you finally decide to buy it (when is available on asset store) then you will take some awesome gifts, if you don't buy it nothing happens.

6. MichaelHF15

MichaelHF15

Done!

JohnParask likes this.
  7. JohnParask

JohnParask

You submit a pre-order request two times, there is no problem you now have two unique keys, you can always give the second on an a friend :)

8. JohnParask

JohnParask

Testing for pre-alpha and i have to admit it is very stable.

9. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

this is awesome, gonna use it alot,

JohnParask likes this.
  10. JohnParask

JohnParask

11. JohnParask

JohnParask

Working on lighting settings.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  12. MichaelHF15

MichaelHF15

This is looking more and more amazing! I am really getting excited for this asset! :D

JohnParask likes this.
  13. JohnParask

JohnParask

I really appreciate it :) If you like to help and support Runtime Level Editor then spread the world :)

14. davem250

davem250

Hi GreekStudios0, if i buy this asset when up on Unity's Asset Store, can i then out of the box attach scripts onto, let's say the player character and then add the player character to RLE, and when in-game making a level, will the scripts and possible sounds be in onto the player character so i don't have to manually stick the scripts onto each object every time i want to create a new level??? sorry if i am mumbling (don't know the correct words right now!) but i am very tired so i hope you understand what i mean by these question :) btw, i have pre-ordered just in case RLE can do what i am asking for ;) Cheers and thanks!

JohnParask likes this.
  15. JohnParask

JohnParask

If i understood your question, yes is possible.
    To be sure, i will explain how does RLE works.

In the editor you can add 3d models (assets) just for the level designing which can have scripts/sounds and whatever and they will play even inside the editor (there will be an option to play only on game).
    Also, there are an other category of assets which can be added which are the scripts. Script would have a transparency sphere which will be visible only inside the editor, and when you play the game it would activate the script and disappear the actual sphere.
    For example :

Let's say that you have spawn system script. (There will be tutorial on how to create new Model/Script assets) Inside the editor you will be able to see and move the script as a sphere. When you play the game the sphere will be disappeared and the scripts/sounds will work.

I hope that i answered your question.

Kind regards

GreekStudios.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    davem250 likes this.
  16. JohnParask

JohnParask

The artwork...

davem250 likes this.
  17. davem250

davem250

@GreekStudios0 Thank you so much for your fast and awesome answer ;) i honestly hoped so badly for precisely this kind of answer as it help tremendously :D Oh and btw, do you have any intentions to do a terrain editor at runtime (maybe integrated into RLE) ??? Again Thank you so much for your fast reply ;) Cheers.

JohnParask likes this.
  18. JohnParask

JohnParask

No problem, i'm always answering as fast as i can :) .

I might do a plug in for this when it is ready.

P.S I'm uploading a speed-up video of working with the editor pre-alpha version.

davem250 likes this.
  19. davem250

davem250

@GreekStudios0, that would simply be AWESOME :D i would love to make it possible for my players to be able to make their own terrain based levels, like Jak & Daxter so they could actually create their own surroundings like they (possibly) want to ;) and please write back when you have uploaded the video ;) i really want to see it :D Cheers mate.

JohnParask likes this.
  20. JohnParask

JohnParask

I will see what i can do.Sorry for being late but the video which i uploaded yesterday was crashed (due to rendering error) and i have to re-render it and re-upload it. So here is it

21. Samuel411

Samuel411

Looks awesome! This can be used in games to allow players to make their own map right?

JohnParask likes this.
  22. JohnParask

JohnParask

Yeap, that's exactly what RLE is doing. You can add materials & models on the editor very easy and integrate it with your game so your players will be able to create their own levels for your game.

davem250 likes this.
  23. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Looks very cool. Will keep this in mind if I ever add such a feature to one of my games

JohnParask likes this.
  24. jtok4j

jtok4j

This is a really great idea, and I hope that I can use this to enhance my future projects! Signing up now ! :D

P.S. The dark dungeon screenshot for the artwork is cool, but I couldn't see much on it. I was more interested/excited about this, when I saw the single room with the chairs and different menu items,etc in a bright colored screenshot. Just for your marketing help. :)

P.S.S. This is more exciting as I watch the videos, etc. I hope that the users can not only save the levels, but have the option for (me, the game dev) to allow them to export/share the levels with their friends. That would make the game level creation and sharing by the players go viral!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    JohnParask likes this.
  25. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thanks for your feedback, the dark image was just to show the lighting system (to see that you can edit the light).
    The rest screenshots are bright ;) :)

Of course exporting the level is very easy, the whole scene with the objects/settings is saved into a single file (string) which will be encrypted. So the export is very easy and i will include it :)

davem250 likes this.
  26. davem250

davem250

@GreekStudios0 This looks indeed VERY awesome :D you can definitely be proud of you're work so far ;) you just made another customer for sure ;) Cheers :)

JohnParask likes this.
  27. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thanks for your warm feedback.

I'm working on the rotation tool right now.

davem250 likes this.
  28. JohnParask

JohnParask

A preview of the rotate tool. It might seem simple, but it is working very smooth and actually is very stable and accurate.

29. davem250

davem250

@GreekStudios0 even though it is very simple it is still awesome ;) i like it very VERY much :D btw can you rotate in all three axis (X, Y, Z) over to the right by typing for example: x: 45, y: 180, z: 30 ?? because then it is just fine that you have made those sliders to make it even more smoothly ;) Cheers and keep up the great work!

JohnParask likes this.
  30. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thanks :). Of course on the right side you can set the exact values and hit Set Rotation. Yes i made the sliders so you can easily rotate an object smoothly.

davem250 likes this.
  31. jtok4j

jtok4j

And... great idea on encrypting the level save files. ;)

JohnParask likes this.
  32. JohnParask

JohnParask

Snapping System.​
    Runtime Level Editor - Snap System

With this snap system you will be able to select on what side you want to snap your object. It would be snapped on the closest object with the same SnapID.It would be available for all Axis.

davem250 likes this.
  33. davem250

davem250

I really like the snap system ;) does this also mean that if i for example have a wall that has the rotation : x: 0, y: 0, z: 0, can snap onto another awl that has the rotation : x: 0, y: 90, z: 0 ??? that would be so awesome ;) Also i have noticed that you're progressing very fast! does this mean that you have a certain release date plan??? Cheers :)

JohnParask likes this.
  34. JohnParask

JohnParask

I'm planning to release it as soon as it is ready. I don't really make an exact day because i might release it later (due to some bugs) or i might have it ready earlier. So for an alpha release, i think we are close ;)

Not yet, but i will add it too, so you can snap corners ;)

davem250 likes this.
  35. davem250

davem250

Hi GreekStudios0, i think what would be extremely awesome would be if you would implement an open level dialog so the player could see all the levels created and / or imported from other creators ;) also i for one would also love to see the players be able to make screenshots of their levels (one as a picture on the level scene!) the reason i "ask" this of you is that i can literally see a huge potential in RLE! i really love what i have seen so far and i am really hoping you'll take requests into possibility as it would then be the "truly ultimate" runtime level editor :D i have the Axis Game Factory, but actually i never use it! it lacks so much of what you're RLE already have! the only things i honestly like about AGF is that the level creator "can" take a screenshot though he/she isn't required to do so, and the AGF also have an okay open scene dialog, but all in all i am willing to pay even more for RLE than i was with AGF if you would implement these things :D because i have just seen the save / open level video again, and this time i noticed that when you open the scene you started to create, the level just opened by you pressing open level... i may have missed something and i am completely aware of that possibility :) and also if you're already having these kinds of plans i have mentioned then i am very sorry :p but please keep up the great work ;) i like commenting on every comment / add-on you have implemented so far and that is really because i love what you have done so far ;) i also want to apologize for this message for being so long but i can't sleep right now and i'm exhausted so i am truly sorry :) Cheers Mate ;)

JohnParask likes this.
  36. JohnParask

JohnParask

Hey, I really appreciate your feedback and i like long messages if the have nice ideas.
    I have already an Open Level dialog (the video was showing the save/load mechanism), but is not available to view levels through screenshots. However, i will add this feature and i'm thinking ways of merging the image file and the scene file into one(Eventually, i have work on similar projects so i can). However, this file will probably be longer than what Registry allows you to save. (16,383 characters) so i will save the levels as real files. My only concern is if System.IO works on MAC.

37. davem250

davem250

I am using Mac & Windows and i have no trouble with System.IO whether it is on Mac or Windows ;). The reason why i thought it would be awesome with the screenshots was so players of those game getting RLE implemented could see a "preview" of the scene they want to load up :) it is due to my older brother he cannot read nor write, so for the most games out there where you can edit levels and such, he has to try every scene out until he finds the exact one he wants to play / edit...

JohnParask likes this.
  38. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Question about the saving/loading.
    Can this be saved to a mysql and loaded at runtime for multiplayer games?

BTW there is another app already in the store called the same thing. But he has not updated his project in quite some time. Yours looks much further along than his but our concerns are about multiplayer.

JohnParask likes this.
  39. JohnParask

JohnParask

Very nice, i will modify the saving system. Sure an image preview will be awesome.
    The actual file a string variable, so i guess you can upload it where ever you like.

And i found that indeed there is an other asset with the same name, i guess i have to re-name my asset.

davem250 likes this.
  40. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Will this include all the source?
    The save/load will need some work then to make it multiplayer.

I am glad to see you active and responsive to your interested developers. I hope you keep this up with support.
    We have run into many stumbling blocks with the other app and have had to work quite hard to get it usable.

Many of us will use it for multiplayer games so you might want to provide multiple saving/loading options. They also stated that the file was a string variable but made it very hard to save and load it via any other method than he had built in.

One thing he does provide is a simple terrain editor. This we find has it's pro's and con's. But if done right would be a great feature.

With all the work that we have done with that app and still have to do it would be a hard decision to switch. But your project looks much more polished. If you provide a the features we need with better support and ease use with a multiplayer game we may switch to yours.

41. JohnParask

JohnParask

Support is the fastest i can do. I can help you with the save/load function my adding one more function which will just return the scene on a string so you can upload it on your server, as well as a function which will get the string and load it.

Terrain editor is not planned until a stable release of the current system.

Currently, i'm making a video presentation with all the features.

The source will be included, you can modify it as you wish.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    davem250 likes this.
  42. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Thank you. You do respond quickly. And I like the fact that you take suggestions from your prospective customers.

With the way things have been going I had considered dropping the level editor part.

We will buy this even just to try it out but would be very happy if it provided all the features we need with less work.

JohnParask likes this.
  43. JohnParask

JohnParask

I'm very happy when developers comment and suggest things for my projects.

P.S I'm rendering a presentation video with all the current features.

davem250 likes this.
  44. JohnParask

JohnParask

45. JohnParask

JohnParask

So, after really hard work....

I finally made it, and i really like the result, but the point is if you like the result too. I'm talking about the Load File dialog. I totally re-write the load file dialog system, modify the save system and add the option to take in-game screenshot of your map in order to be seen on the load dialog. The image is merged into the scene file (.rld) and is automatic generated each time you save/load a scene or you start RLE. So if someone download your .rld file and start Runtime Level Editor, the image file will be automatic generated. A description of the map would be added to.

Enough words, just take a look :

The .png files (those with the red rectangular) are automatic generated, so even if you delete them it would re-generate after loading RLE.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    davem250 likes this.
  46. davem250

davem250

@GreekStudios0 - Dude you just made me drewl :p the video with the new and updated save and load system is much more appealing ;) i really Love it! i am very glad that you take requests as a positive thing and not as critizism ;) Honestly keep up the nice and great Work i cannot wait to get my hands on this truly awesome asset :D Cheers,

JohnParask likes this.
  47. hopeful

hopeful

What if you want to have a small area available for the player to create in, with the rest of the area already built? In some games, for example, the player has a personal area like a bedroom, castle, or base they can decorate. So if there is an existing castle, building, or base, and the player is only allowed to rearrange things in one room, including windows and doors to the outside, can that be controlled?

My impression at the moment is that the player can create (or destroy) whatever they want in a scene.

JohnParask likes this.
  48. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thanks for your feedback :) Of course i take request as positive, and i always try to implement them.

Hey, i think it is already as you want,
    Any object which is NOT created with RLE in a scene IS NOT editable. You can't move it / edit it / delete it. So i think that your castle map will be designed on Unity editor so the user would not be able to edit it.

davem250 and hopeful like this.
  49. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

For years there was only one level editor now they are popping up like crazy. But from what I can see yours still looks the best.

JohnParask likes this.
  50. JohnParask

JohnParask

I just started this because i couldn't found a complete and stable Level editor. I will do my best to make it the ultimate solution and i think the price of $50 is not that much for a complete level editor.